PDA

View Full Version : RIP Deacon Jones

Gnam
06-04-13, 02:34 AM
He was 74. http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Hall-of-Fame-DE-Deacon-Jones-dead-at-74-4573710.php

I remember an interview where he demonstrated all of his moves and techniques that the NFL banned. He brought the pain. If St. Peter is smart, he won't block his path. RIP.

Andrew Longman
06-04-13, 07:55 AM
As a kid I had no greater hero than Deacon Jones. I read his autobiography Life in the Pit in sixth grade. He fiercely imposed his will on the game, but felt powerless when as a bodyguard couldn't protect RFK the night he was shot and could not stop racism or the redneck crackers who threw a watermelon from a pickup at his grandmother and killed her.

Don Quixote
06-04-13, 09:42 AM
One of my boyhood heros also. Now only Rosie Grier remains of the fearsome foursome.

Insomniac
06-04-13, 11:40 AM
I remember an interview where he demonstrated all of his moves and techniques that the NFL banned.

Lm2l0pxYw-4

Andrew Longman
06-04-13, 11:45 AM
I played organized football until I was 40 in no small part because as a kid I wanted to be the next Deacon Jones (or maybe as a suburban white kid be the next Merlon Olson playing next to the next Deacon Jones). But being smaller and a little less fierce I settled on the other side of the line protecting unworthy QBs against people a lot less talented than the Deacon. :gomer:

The relationship Deacon had with George Allen's white suburban daughter is inspiring. She named her kids after the fearsome foursome. And no not for the reason your sick mind thinks ;)

Napoleon
06-04-13, 12:22 PM
She named her kids after the fearsome foursome.

Am I understanding you correctly - she has 4 sons and their first names are the same as the first names of the fearsome foursome?

Andrew Longman
06-04-13, 12:27 PM
Am I understanding you correctly - she has 4 sons and their first names are the same as the first names of the fearsome foursome?

I am a little hazy. I think her first child was named Roman after the qb and deacon was pizzed off enough to name the second David:) more to follow.

Google Jennifer Allen. She worked for nfl films and talked about growing up with the fearsome foursome

Napoleon
06-04-13, 01:24 PM
Google Jennifer Allen. She worked for nfl films and talked about growing up with the fearsome foursome

I did and couldn’t find an answer, though I did she worked for NFL films and apparently wrote/narrated a film on the 4 last year. BTW that team was my brother’s favorite growing up so I know all about Roman Gabriel and crew.

Gnam
06-04-13, 02:20 PM
Good interview with Jennifer Allen about that film.
Maybe they'll run it on ESPN or the NFL network.

http://prod.www.rams.clubs.nfl.com/news-and-events/article-1/Inside-Look-Fearsome-Foursome-A-Football-Life/0b0eab89-920b-49bf-8b41-70cdabe857e8

For Jennifer Allen, the daughter of legendary coach George Allen, the sub-tag of “A Football Life” is precisely appropriate in that the Fearsome Foursome of Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Lamar Lundy and Rosey Grier had a profound impact on the life of her and her family. Her second son is named after Jones, her first son after quarterback Roman Gabriel and her third son’s middle name is Lamar.

edit: from the NFL network's twitter:

Tonight on NFL Network, we honor the late, great Deacon Jones:

8pm ET: A Football Life: Fearsome Foursome
9pm: Top 10 Pass Rushers
10:45 AM - 4 Jun 2013

Preview available here: http://www.nfl.com/videos/st-louis-rams/0ap1000000079172/A-Football-Life-Deacon-s-legacy

Dvdb
06-04-13, 03:37 PM
I highly recommend the documentary........so many side stories to the Fearsome Foursome are revealed. Their music career, how Olson took care of Lundy financially, and the relationship between Deacon and the Allen family.