PDA

View Full Version : Shipping antique furniture: advice needed

Anteater
05-28-13, 11:40 AM
To make a long story short, I need to ship an antique dresser and cedar chest from California to New Jersey. I have absolutely no experience with this, and am calling on the collective wisdom of OCers for pointers. How about it? Tips, companies to use/avoid, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

TravelGal
05-28-13, 04:22 PM
MANY years ago I looked into shipping an antique desk from Florida to California (roughly the same distance). What with proper packing and the weight plus distance, it was a bloody fortune. You're almost better off to find someone who would like to drive there. That's what I did.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. I'm sure I'll be looking for this type of info when there are things to ship when TravelMom is gone. :(

dando
05-28-13, 04:32 PM
MANY years ago I looked into shipping an antique desk from Florida to California (roughly the same distance). What with proper packing and the weight plus distance, it was a bloody fortune. You're almost better off to find someone who would like to drive there. That's what I did.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. I'm sure I'll be looking for this type of info when there are things to ship when TravelMom is gone. :(

Someone to drive to NJ? Willingly? :gomer:

Professional mover is the only way to go. Perhaps if you call around, you might luck out and find one making the cross-country trip.

-Kevin

cameraman
05-28-13, 05:14 PM
It will depend on how quickly you need it to get there. If you can wait a month or two you will be able to get it shipped for less money as you will have to wait for other loads going the same direction. You'll be hitching a ride as it were. If you know of a good antique store nearby, ask them as they probably have had to do the same thing. They should be able to set you up with a good crate builder and probably the best mover.

Anteater
05-30-13, 10:29 PM
Thank you for the suggestions; I'll let you know how it works out. :) The whole plan may fall apart when my sister finds out what it costs to ship the pieces (these were items she wanted from my mother's estate, which I'm still trying to settle after more than a year).