PDA

View Full Version : NBC Spent a Little Money

Mary
05-26-13, 07:37 AM
I can't believe NBC actually sent the announcing crew to Monaco! I vaguely remember Varsha being there back in the ESPN days, but they've done this (and just about every other race) in studio for ages.

Mary

dando
05-26-13, 08:07 AM
I can't believe NBC actually sent the announcing crew to Monaco! I vaguely remember Varsha being there back in the ESPN days, but they've done this (and just about every other race) in studio for ages.

Mary

Promotion for Rush opening in September. Giada also did a special for Monaco for Food TV. She also has ties to NBC/Universal.

-Kevin

nissan gtp
05-26-13, 09:10 AM
Coverage is good, and not too many commercials. :thumbup:

Napoleon
05-26-13, 09:12 AM
I was surprised that the race was on NBC. I turned it on to watch the weather and the race was on. How often are they running races on NBC?

RTKar
05-26-13, 09:35 AM
It's been an excellent broadcast, plenty of cameras too.

Insomniac
05-26-13, 12:43 PM
I was surprised that the race was on NBC. I turned it on to watch the weather and the race was on. How often are they running races on NBC?

This is the first one. The rest:

Canadian Grand Prix June 9
United States Grand Prix November 17
Brazilian Grand Prix November 24

Two will be on CNBC:
British Grand Prix June 30
German Grand Prix July 7

All the rest are on NBC Sports.

Insomniac
05-26-13, 12:48 PM
Mostly :yawn: IMO. Perez had a good move on Button, but then turned it into a kamikaze move by basically threatening to make the other car crash out if they didn't short cut the track. I disagree with the Alonso penalty, but he had nothing anyway. Kimi ended up paying the price. :thumbup: Rosberg, never really under any threat.

The tire testing is going to be controversial. I wonder if Mercedes really made a big improvement or if it was just the track and they could run slow(er) purposely. The inability to pass made running the tires hard pointless. I wonder if the race would've been different had Red Bull or Ferrari been up front?

Trevor Longman
05-26-13, 01:46 PM
They'll also be in attendance in Canada as well as Austin and Brazil. Basically all the NBC races.

datachicane
05-26-13, 03:46 PM
Totally screwed up broadcast schedule on DirecTV- they swapped the pre-and post-race shows. The pre-race show is packaged as the same broadcast as the race, so when going to watch the race the very first image we were treated to was Rosberg spraying champagne, followed by the race recap. After I sat through that steaming, came the start of the race itself, which had the last fifteen minutes truncated.

:flame::flame:

Both HD and standard-def schedules were hosed, although in slightly different manners. A couple of hours after the broadcast they retroactively corrected the title of the pre-and post-race shows, not that it did much good by then.

WickerBill
05-26-13, 07:34 PM
Wasn't DirecTV -- I know Comcast and uverse (at least here) had the same issue. Two safety cars and a red flag will screw up the schedule...

cameraman
05-26-13, 10:58 PM
Oh my,
Raikkonen asked if talking to Perez would help: "That won't help. Maybe someone should punch him in the face.":eek:

Insomniac
05-26-13, 11:51 PM
Totally screwed up broadcast schedule on DirecTV- they swapped the pre-and post-race shows. The pre-race show is packaged as the same broadcast as the race, so when going to watch the race the very first image we were treated to was Rosberg spraying champagne, followed by the race recap. After I sat through that steaming, came the start of the race itself, which had the last fifteen minutes truncated.

:flame::flame:

Both HD and standard-def schedules were hosed, although in slightly different manners. A couple of hours after the broadcast they retroactively corrected the title of the pre-and post-race shows, not that it did much good by then.

Weird. I didn't have any guide/recording issues on DirecTV. 30-min pre-race on NBCSports, race w/ 30 minutes extra on NBC, and post-race w/ 30-min extra on NBCSports.

cameraman
05-26-13, 11:57 PM
It was kind of screwed up on Dish too. The end of the race, from 2 hours on, was on the recording labeled Monaco GP2 race and the "post race" show was a 30 minute thing that started with Rosberg spraying champagne. :shakehead

datachicane
05-27-13, 01:31 AM
Wonder if the problem was somehow a West-coast feed thing...

dando
05-27-13, 07:25 AM
TWC/TiVo was fine here. The post-race stuff was shifted to NBCSN after the live race broadcast on NBC. The re-broadcast was on NBCSN right after the post-race show. I assume the issue was with the guide provider the sat guys use. I originally wasn't aware the race would be live on NBC, so I set record for the 11am broadcast on NBCSN. I thought it odd that post-race show was ahead of the race broadcast, but just moved on to other things. Much to my surprise, it was on live bright and early. Made up for the 2 1/2 hours I spent @ a dance recital yesterday. :D

-Kevin

WickerBill
05-27-13, 10:23 AM
The difference seems to be if you watched it live, it was fine, if you watched the replay (or your local NBC affiliate didn't show the race because they were busy showing local newscasters talking heads yammering about how light the traffic was going into IMS :mad: and you HAD to watch the replay), the first thing you saw in the recording on NBCS was the podium.

stroker
05-27-13, 11:35 AM
I'm glad I went back to bed after church, then, instead of watching the replay.

Insomniac
05-27-13, 02:19 PM
Ahhh, the problem was the race went over. I think they simulcast NBC on NBCSports for the first 30 minutes (the time slot for post-race) and then did another 30 minutes after as they have done in the past.

dando
05-27-13, 02:46 PM
Ahhh, the problem was the race went over. I think they simulcast NBC on NBCSports for the first 30 minutes (the time slot for post-race) and then did another 30 minutes after as they have done in the past.

Not here. May depend on where you are located or your NBC affiliate. Our local station went all the way through and then switched over. YMMV.

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
05-28-13, 10:45 AM
I watched the race on a Spanish channel. Zero commercials but I didn't understand a word the announcers were saying.

Gopeddle
05-28-13, 02:16 PM
I've been watching the races on SKY Sports (http://firstrow1.eu/watch/112960/1/watch-sky-sports-f1-f1.html) and am pretty happy with it. Once you get past all the pop-ups it's quite good. They have very few commercial breaks, I think there were only four for the Monaco race, and I'm not too bothered by the commentators. I watch it on a 24" monitor and the images are a bit blotchy but I think that's due to my internet speed. A faster connection should give a nice HD image.

mueber
05-28-13, 06:23 PM
I totally missed it because I didn't realize it was on NBC.

Insomniac
05-29-13, 12:29 AM
Not here. May depend on where you are located or your NBC affiliate. Our local station went all the way through and then switched over. YMMV.

-Kevin

Mine went all the way through as well. What I meant was because it went over, the post-race was delayed and it went over into the rebroadcast. So the beginning of the rebroadcast on NBCSports had the post-race starting with the podium celebration.

Indy
05-29-13, 09:04 AM
Apparently the NBC affiliate in Indy decided that watching fat gomers go through the gates of IMS was more important than the Monaco GP. :shakehead

cameraman
05-29-13, 10:44 AM
I've seen reports where the NBC affiliate in Austin TX also did not show the race. That makes absolutely no sense at all if it is true.:saywhat:

Indy
05-29-13, 11:43 AM
I am glad I didn't get up to watch it. I DVR'd it, and I didn't realize until I started to watch it that I had caught the rebroadcast on NBC Sports. Fell victim to the same bad timing where I saw the podium before the race.

JohnHKart
05-29-13, 01:10 PM
The Australian is really starting to grate on my ears. Yuck. Varsha is welcome back , even if we have to hear about Massa's dad in 2008 every week.

WickerBill
05-29-13, 05:07 PM
Just the accent? Or do you prefer someone to be more opinionated and condescending? :)

emjaya
05-29-13, 09:00 PM
The Australian is really starting to grate on my ears. Yuck. Varsha is welcome back , even if we have to hear about Massa's dad in 2008 every week.

Ahem,

Leigh obtained his United States citizenship on 23 June, 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Diffey

Nothing to do with us. ;) :laugh:

WickerBill
05-29-13, 09:18 PM
I'm probably just getting old and cranky, but everyone except the younger guys are really bothering me. Buxton and Diffey are fine (not great). But Matchett has turned into (or I'm just noticing it) a huge fanboy. He "can't wait to see Vettel in the scarlet", and "WHOOOAAAA LOOK AT THAT FERRARI GO!" even when others are making better moves. And good grief, can he please call McLaren "McLaren" just once, instead of "McLaren International" at every single opportunity? (Billy Packer used to always refer to Duke as "Duke University" and Steve, you don't want to be compared to Billy Packer) There's also the hardEERRRR tires (how he describes the primes every race) and marbles are now always referred to as "David, your klag".

Hobbs has taken to saying "no doubt about it" about 55x a race. It's just a verbal tic, it seems, but someone pointed it out to me and now I can't ignore it. (You're welcome, everyone!)

Indy
05-29-13, 10:41 PM
I don't get the opposition to Diffey. Just keep reminding yourself, it could be Cheever, it could be Cheever, it could be Cheever...

stroker
05-30-13, 10:39 AM
I don't get the opposition to Diffey. Just keep reminding yourself, it could be Cheever, it could be Cheever, it could be Cheever...

Or worse, it could be Jackie Stewart yammering about his former record of F1 wins...

Elmo T
05-30-13, 10:53 AM
This is a cranky bunch. ;)

Seeing as NBC is spending some dough - who should they put in the booth? How many of the F1 drivers have picked up broadcasting gigs outside the US? Any that could make a smooth transition here?

Varsha > Diffey IMHO

Rex Karz
05-30-13, 11:26 AM

Someone should put Cheever into a big bag with lots of big, heavy stones and drop it into the nearest and deepest lake.

Then there would be no more Cheever problem.

WickerBill
05-30-13, 11:32 AM
On another note, Sergio Perez was kind of a lunatic at Monaco.

dando
05-30-13, 02:31 PM
This is a cranky bunch. ;)

Seeing as NBC is spending some dough - who should they put in the booth? How many of the F1 drivers have picked up broadcasting gigs outside the US? Any that could make a smooth transition here?

Varsha > Diffey IMHO

Cranky, just aging and jaded. :gomer:

Like and old man trying to soup at a deli. </Seinfeld>

0u8KUgUqprw

Could be worse...Costas could be in the booth.

:D

-Kevin

TrueBrit
06-03-13, 11:49 AM
Diffey still doesn't grate me the way Murray Walker or Chris Economaki, or Jackie Stewart, or Eddie Cheezballs, or any of the other myriad of wankers they've had commentating over the years did..

Even though, at times, Murray Walker appeared to be commentating on a completely different race than the one on the tv screens, JYS was without doubt the absolute worst...

Glad they sent the team to Monaco to do the race live instead of from wherever their broadcast shed is...definitely added to the colour that they were able to bring to the race...

And yes, Sergio Perez is a Grade-A moron, there is a difference between a highly optimistic inside move and one akin to a Stuka dive...