PDA

View Full Version : A Hero’s Drive: The Greg Moore Tribute

TedN
05-24-13, 06:54 PM
Wow, just wow

Link (http://www.sportsnet.ca/auto-racing/watch-sportsnet-special-a-heros-drive-the-greg-moore-tribute-james-hinchcliffe-2013-indianapolis-500/)

Ted

devilmaster
05-25-13, 12:48 AM
:cry:

Trevor Longman
05-25-13, 01:04 AM
That was fantastic. Very touching, actually made me tear up a bit. Greg is and will always be my favorite driver but Hinchcliffe has really grown on me through last few years with his personality and talent, but also his affection for Greg. His pole day run at Indy last year with Greg's Gloves was the highlight of the month for me. Its been a real pleasure seeing him have some success this year with the two wins already. Its been a long time since there was a driver I could really get behind like this. :thumbup:

Kiwifan
05-25-13, 05:26 AM
Thank you so much Ted, I would never have seen this if you hadn't posted this link. Oddly this was one race that I didn't see live on the telly. My wife rang me at work and we both cried. Sigh. I still remember that day, I kept saying "Not Greg, not Greg" which sounds terrible as I never wanted any driver to get hurt or killed.

His family is a class act too, for two years they sent ME a card thanking me for sending them a sympathy card.

Oi, it still gets me. :cry:

dando
05-25-13, 09:42 AM
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7975/icon18tq6.jpg

http://champcar.com/gallery/gallery99/best_of_1999/desert_visions.jpg

I think that's the day AOW racing died for me. I'll never forget the save he made coming of T2 @ the original US 500.

-Kevin

SteveH
05-25-13, 10:48 AM
I think that's the day AOW racing died for me. I'll never forget the save he made coming of T2 @ the original US 500.

-Kevin

I thought of that too when I saw this thread yesterday. Could not believe he saved it. He was totally off the track. And it looked like he never lifted. He'll of a move for a rookie.

Mary
05-25-13, 01:48 PM
I can't watch this now. I started, but cut it off after about a few minutes. I remember the interview when he said, "....let's hope it never stops.." Damn! Greg wasn't my all-time favorite driver, but I was a big fan. My desktop at home is a pic of Greg 4-wide against the wall coming out of turn 1 at California. We all know what happened in turn 2. Still, him with a busted hand going all out; the photo has always spoken to me about him.

One of my favorite Greg moves was the race in Rio when he went around Zanardi on the outside.

I never, ever, watch the IRL or IndyCar or whatever they call it now, and I don't know anything about Hinchcliffe, but kudos & good luck to him.

Mary

nrc
05-26-13, 03:07 PM
When racing was about passion you could ease the pain of these tragedies with the ubiquitous "he died doing what he loved." As we kept hearing "it's a business" and "they have to do what makes sense for their career" that just rang hollow.

RIP Greg Moore. You were part of something wonderful the likes of which we'll probably never see again.

Rex Karz
05-27-13, 03:40 PM
Had "it" not happened, I wonder where Greg would be today in his racing career.

Might he have made it to F1 and become a WDC?

Too bad we'll never know.

JohnHKart
05-31-13, 01:28 PM
Sadly, like Cevert , Depailler and Dale Sr, Greg also uttered prophetic words.

" If I crash, I crash."

Greg Moore

JohnHKart
06-02-13, 12:23 AM
I race Karts at Cal Speed in the Fontana parking lot several times a year, like today. At some point in the day can't help but think about that day. Today I looked up at the mountains and it hit me, because that's the pan away shot with Greg's picture and 1975-1999 they used in the broadcast. Will never forget it.

nissan gtp
06-02-13, 07:33 AM
Had "it" not happened, I wonder where Greg would be today in his racing career.

Might he have made it to F1 and become a WDC?

Too bad we'll never know.

Since he was going to Penske, I think he would have ended up in the IRL with Roger, and maybe even NAscar.

Mary
06-08-13, 01:04 PM
I finally watched this and it was both wonderful and very sad.

I don't know what would have happened to Greg had he lived. I tend to agree that he would have ended up in the IRL, maybe after a NASCAR foray. There was a small, brief, F1 window, but I don't recall that being where his interests were at the time.

Although his death didn't cause it, CART died with Greg in many ways (I know this isn't an "original" thought, I just want to get it off my chest). I know it was around for a few more years, but in retrospect his death was the last straw. I never felt CART would survive without the Indy 500, but I did think they would be so spectacular that eventually the cretins who started the IRL would crawl back to them. Obviously, this isn't what happened. When Greg died the last chance of saving AOW died with him.

RIP, Greg; and Ric, we'll always remember.

Mary

Indy
06-08-13, 01:13 PM
I am not sure I buy that. There have been deaths in the past and racing still thrived. Some people walked away from it, but others were always there to discover it. After the split very few discovered a diminished product and if they did they were quickly turned off by the politics.

The one and only reason for the death of AOW was the greed of the Hulman-George family.

Anteater
06-13-13, 06:36 PM
If you haven't already seen them, there are some cool stories about Greg Moore here:
Greg Moore, part 1. Mark Webber remembers
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2011/10/greg-moore/

Greg Moore part two: A day in the life – five go mad in Florida
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2011/10/greg-moore-2/

Max Papis: “Superheroes always wear red gloves” Part 3
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2011/10/max-papis-greg-moore/

Remembering Greg Moore: Champ Car’s Brat Pack having the time of their lives Part 4
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2011/10/greg-moore-99/

Greg Moore: Part 5, from the heart.
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2011/11/greg-moore-crash/

Mary
06-16-13, 04:31 PM
I am not sure I buy that. There have been deaths in the past and racing still thrived. Some people walked away from it, but others were always there to discover it. After the split very few discovered a diminished product and if they did they were quickly turned off by the politics.

The one and only reason for the death of AOW was the greed of the Hulman-George family.

Naw, if it was just greed, they would have given up a long time ago. According to everything I've ever read, all they've done is lose money on this misadventure. They're probably still losing money.

As for CART, nothing went well for them after Greg Moore died. His death was neither the cause nor the result; it was merely coincidence, but IMO although they had moments, the series was on life support from then on. I didn't see it at the time, but I don't think anything short of the disappearance of the IRL or a lot of FIA support, would have saved it.

Mary

Indy
06-16-13, 07:11 PM
My personal opinion: CART could have continued on if they denounced ovals entirely, completely ignored IMS, and set themselves up as the F1 of the Americas. CART failed because it was a fiefdom of self-interested parties who decided their interests lay elsewhere.

To the Hulman-Georges it was indeed all about money. They saw CART team owners getting rich in a more egalitarian/libertarian setting, and they knew that owning the whole thing would mean that the owners would exist on THEIR plantation. What they didn't understand was that those profits depended on the very structure that prevented them from cashing in on them.

Andrew Longman
06-16-13, 08:25 PM
I don't know that ditching ovals would have saved them. For example, They pulled huge crowds at MIS right after the split. Those where not IMS fans. They were fans of those cars and driver going scary fast on that track. The spectator deaths and maybe the Hanford device correlated with the disappearing crowds. Penske selling the track to ISC too.

At Nazareth the cars got going so fast that they started running speedway wings and all the real racing went away into a one line track. Fans went away there too.

Mostly I think fans got sick of the split and/or didn't understand it and NASCAR just seemed so much easier to like.