PDA

View Full Version : It's A NEWWWW Front Row!

NismoZ
05-18-13, 07:35 PM
Carpenter, Munoz and Marco. Good LORD!:eek:

Racing Truth
05-18-13, 07:40 PM
C'mon, we ALL had that front row called. #waitwhat?:saywhat::thumbup:

DagoFast
05-18-13, 07:41 PM
Gomer dreams can come true,
It can happen to you,
If you're not very smart.

Racing Truth
05-18-13, 07:45 PM
Gomer dreams can come true,
It can happen to you,
If you're not very smart.

Meh, as I said, Ed's no r/s racer (to his credit, he's no longer a chicane), but he's a d#mn good oval driver.

Racing Truth
05-18-13, 07:53 PM
BTW: Hey Severson, y'all had an "interesting" day, no?:p

Easy
05-18-13, 08:39 PM

With RLL now?

Ed_Severson
05-18-13, 10:25 PM

Uh, yeah. Had a bit of a mistake on the first lap of our first qualifying run that probably cost us a legit shot to be in the 4th row, then ended up underweight because of a miscommunication with the gearbox oil level. Changed gears and went back out for run #2 but the balance changed quite a bit from earlier so we were slow, then made a balance change to get it back for run #3 and put 4 pretty good laps together in less favorable weather than we had for the first run. Sweating bullets for a while out there, but we're in and can work on the race car tomorrow. Graham struggled today but should have a good car next weekend. Michel is in for a fight tomorrow.

I'd rather not experience that again.

RTKar
05-19-13, 05:30 PM
Sad state of affairs in OW racing. Bump Day at the 500 and not one post in the OW forum. Of course there's only one car not making the race :laugh:

:tony: Terrific job saving OW racing

Racing Truth
05-19-13, 06:25 PM
Sad state of affairs in OW racing. Bump Day at the 500 and not one post in the OW forum. Of course there's only one car not making the race :laugh:

:tony: Terrific job saving OW racing

Well, no bumping. Sorry, Ed. Tough weekend.:(

As for Munoz, prediction: He'll either lead the first lap OR take out half the field.

gjc2
05-19-13, 06:57 PM
As for Munoz, prediction: He'll either lead the first lap OR take out half the field.

I have a good feeling about him.

Racing Truth
05-19-13, 07:03 PM
I have a good feeling about him.

If he can hold his "aggressive" lines for 500 miles, then he'll be a revelation.

stroker
05-19-13, 08:33 PM
There were what, maybe 2000 people in the stands for BUMP DAY?

Seriously, the place is now indelibly stamped with WGAF.

chop456
05-20-13, 01:33 AM
Did anyone give Barnhart four good ones? :tony:

Elmo T
05-20-13, 08:56 AM
There were what, maybe 2000 people in the stands for BUMP DAY?

Seriously, the place is now indelibly stamped with WGAF.

That is the sad thing - regardless of all "the split" politics and the ancillary BS; TG irreparably damaged OW racing and the I500 of old. Not a single positive came out of that debacle. Not for OW racing (which I guess has only 2 open wheels now :yuck:), not for TG, not for the family, not for the city, etc, etc, etc. :shakehead

Wheel-Nut
05-20-13, 10:03 AM
Carpenter, Munoz and Marco. Good LORD!:eek:

Malcom in the Middle?

cameraman
05-20-13, 11:24 AM
Nope some Columbian rookie, Carlos Munoz.

Andrew Longman
05-20-13, 11:37 AM
Nope some Columbian rookie, Carlos Munoz.Gave a pretty balls out run.

Sorry and apologies to Ariel and Gil who it seemed kept calling for the medics to restart their hearts every time I tuned in, but only Munoz seemed to put it close to 11/10ths.

I remember when, before too few entries, too little power and too much downforce, every qualifying lap and every turn was pretty scary.

TravelGal
05-20-13, 11:49 AM
Malcom in the Middle?

:rofl::rofl: Yeah, that's what I thought too. And, yeah, I got the joke. :D

Viva Colombia!

Ziggy
05-20-13, 02:47 PM
How hard could it be, Charlie Chip Cruncher plants it in the middle of row 1

Pippa Mann is in

Jourdain? That was eggciting. Did anybody have a set up pad for that *****ox? With these great rules a totally different car must have been out of the question? Or were all the real mechanics back in Ohio mopping the shop floor?

opinionated ow
05-20-13, 07:59 PM
with Simona, Ana, Katherine and Pippa is this the most women to start the 500 ever?

Indy
05-20-13, 08:34 PM
Third time 4 have started. One year it could have been five, but Milka failed to qualify. :laugh::gomer:

nrc
05-21-13, 03:43 AM
Third time 4 have started. One year it could have been five, but Milka failed to qualify. :laugh::gomer:

As a woman, or for the race?

chop456
05-21-13, 04:08 AM
:laugh:

gjc2
05-21-13, 06:23 AM

be nice

Indy
05-21-13, 08:51 AM

I left that open to interpretation. You can't sneak anything past this crowd. :rofl:

Gnam
05-21-13, 11:31 AM
:laugh: @ nrc

I hope Katherine has a good race. Her determination to be part of this series is both impressive and disappointing.

Ed_Severson
05-21-13, 12:29 PM
Well, no bumping. Sorry, Ed. Tough weekend.:(

Eh, it happens. I just feel bad for Michel, because there wasn't much he could do. No idea exactly what the issue was as of yet, but the car was definitely evil -- terminal understeer at one end of the track, snap oversteer at the other, regardless of what setup was on the car.

I think we've got a pretty reasonable race car for this weekend and the race can definitely be won from 20th, but we have an uphill battle to beat Chevy.

Chief
05-21-13, 04:44 PM
Why the Chevy dominance? Hondabux running out? Turbogate fall behind etc? IMS should just let Honda windup the turbos more...they done it before...:confused:

NismoZ
05-21-13, 11:46 PM
Whoa! Looks like FOUR abreast in row 10!

JoeBob
05-26-13, 04:12 PM
Why the Chevy dominance? Hondabux running out? Turbogate fall behind etc? IMS should just let Honda windup the turbos more...they done it before...:confused:

Chevy = badged Illmor. They've been in this game for a while.

This is Honda's first engine of their own design since their ChampCar days

stroker
05-26-13, 04:36 PM
I didn't bother with the race but it was good to see that Kanaan won. He was overdue. I wish he'd won the race when it mattered.

dando
05-26-13, 05:12 PM
Seeing Z in pit lane was extra special. Good times all around...TK, JV, Z and Mad Max. Doesn't get any better...except an Andretti lost after leading. :tony: :D

-Kevin

TRDfan
05-26-13, 06:18 PM
Nice to see TK get the win, for him and for Vasser.

Wasn't sure about the race itself though, lead changes looked way too easy.

TKGAngel
05-26-13, 07:41 PM
Wasn't sure about the race itself though, lead changes looked way too easy.

The slingshot move seemed to be the rule and not the exception.

Good to see Zanardi there. I guess Chip gave him the car from "The Pass" this week, too.

dando
05-26-13, 08:28 PM
Don't get me wrong...the racing stunk. Seeing TK, JV, Z and MM made up for that. :thumbup:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/motor/indycar/2013/05/24/indianapolis-500-indycar-alex-zanardi-chip-ganassi/2359189/

-Kevin

devilmaster
05-26-13, 08:37 PM
I watched a bit of the race... when did IMS institute the handford device? :shakehead

Artemus
05-26-13, 10:50 PM
Stopping in for my bi-annual rant...

Calling those passes "lead changes" is like saying there is a lead change in a cycling race every time the lead rider in a break-away pace line moves back after doing his/her pull. There is a reason why every rider who finishes in the peloton is given the same time for the stage. At least in a cycling the strongest riders sprint at the end there is an actual winner. These cars are so under powered the thought of a sprint is laughable.

Were there any lapped cars that didn't have mechanical problems? Does an open-wheel peloton even count as racing? God, I hate what the sport has become.

OK, I'll disappear for another couple years.

Dvdb
05-26-13, 11:50 PM
TK gave his winning helmet to Zanardi after the race.

Elmo T
05-27-13, 06:39 AM
Happy for TK.

Still way too much overblown hokey promotion in all things IRL. Droning on about how great you are? The racing, the crowds, the fans, fill in the blank? Yeah, that only confirms you aren't.

And they need to tell Vince to shut the F up when interviewing the winner and let TK talk. At least that is what I yelled to the TV. :shakehead

Agree with DM on the passing.

Mary
05-27-13, 08:02 AM
I didn't watch the race, but will admit to being interested enough to check to see who won. Saw the pics of Zanardi & the old car on Twitter. I don't follow this real closely, but I barely recall Ganassi admitting that life existed before the IRL. Still, it was a nice gesture and great to see Alex around motor racing again.

I'm happy for TK. I admit to being a hater, I loathe the Indy 500 now (and that still makes me sad--why do I care?) but even I know that in 100 years nobody is going to care about the state of indycar racing when they see his face on the trophy.

They got what they wanted. The only thing that means anything is Indy, Indy, Indy, blah, blah, blah.

Mary

gjc2
05-27-13, 08:39 AM
I was very impressed with Carlos Muñoz. He was my pick to win, and without that last caution he very well could have.

mapguy
05-27-13, 08:50 AM
Watched the highlights after I got home from work.

A CART mid-packer (who backed into his only CART win) wins. BFD.

Took down some grandstands and there is still a lot of aluminum to be seen. Especially in the last 10 laps. Good job.

Diverse tracks. Check.

Diverse drivers. Check.

Engine leases. Check.

The only thing missing from the CART era are the fans and sponsors.

What was reason for the split again?

RTKar
05-27-13, 09:40 AM
I tend to question a race (series) when a driver really doesn't want to be the lead car on the next to last lap.

chop456
05-27-13, 10:14 AM
I cannot BELIEVE I missed it for the 17th year in a row. The odds against that must be astronomical.

Thanks, :tony: .

Rex Karz
05-27-13, 03:38 PM
I stopped caring in 1996.

TKGAngel
05-27-13, 06:53 PM
The overnights show that ratings were a 3.8, down from last year's 4.1.

stroker
05-27-13, 07:42 PM
The overnights show that ratings were a 3.8, down from last year's 4.1.

That's UNPOSSIBLE! The racing is great! The magic is back!

:yuck:

Gnam
05-27-13, 09:11 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/IRL-Indianapolis-500-Results-4550019.php

What's the deal with the prize money again? Seems like everyone gets paid about the same, but the amounts don't decrease with finishing position.

stroker
05-27-13, 10:07 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/IRL-Indianapolis-500-Results-4550019.php

What's the deal with the prize money again? Seems like everyone gets paid about the same, but the amounts don't decrease with finishing position.

Indy is the event where you get paid for participating, not for competing. ;)

RTKar
05-27-13, 10:30 PM
I cannot BELIEVE I missed it for the 17th year in a row. The odds against that must be astronomical.

Thanks, :tony: .

It's not so bad if you watch it like a campy grade B movie.

Indy
05-28-13, 12:47 AM
If you live here you can watch the awards banquet, which is even campier. :gomer::tony::gomer::tony::gomer:

RTKar
05-28-13, 07:17 AM
If you live here you can watch the awards banquet, which is even campier. :gomer::tony::gomer::tony::gomer:

I've seen it in the past when it used to be on ESPN, kind of like a high school graduation ceremony with each kid making an ass kissing speech about the principal when they get their diploma. :tony:

Indy
05-28-13, 07:35 AM
Very close. It goes something like this:

1) Kiss sponsor ass
2) Kiss team owner's ass
3) Kiss wife's ass
4) Kiss Mari Hulman-George's ass

For me it is an annual reminder that the H-G's are mentally defective, inbred trash. It's like watching the Adams Family. It's a freak show, man.

SteveH
05-28-13, 08:57 AM
I've seen it in the past when it used to be on ESPN, kind of like a high school graduation ceremony with each kid making an ass kissing speech about the principal when they get their diploma. :tony:

agzactly, but unlike the high school I went to, everyone that entered graduated :tony:

Andrew Longman
05-28-13, 09:44 AM
It's not so bad if you watch it like a campy grade B movie.sheeez. The invocation began with being thankful for the city of Indianapolis for lending its name to this great race, thankful for the Hulman George family for so outsandinlngly preserving so many traditions of this great race, and thankful for the Izod Indycar Series for providing the cars and drivers of NA premier racing series for this great race.

I kid you not.

Happy for TK though... And KV Racing.

Wheel-Nut
05-28-13, 10:41 AM
How fitting Dario stuffs it into the wall after having a lack luster race.

Hmmm . . . .

Hard Driver
05-28-13, 11:52 PM
I tend to question a race (series) when a driver really doesn't want to be the lead car on the next to last lap.

Bingo.... not true for the road/street courses. But for Indy, this is a sad truth.