PDA

View Full Version : RIP Dick Trickle

indyfan31
05-16-13, 06:01 PM
Hadn't heard of him having any problems lately. :(

Richard 'Dick' Trickle dies at 71 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/richard-dick-trickle-dies-apparent-self-inflicted-wound-051613#!eFf1X)

DagoFast
05-16-13, 06:41 PM
RIP to a true racer. :thumbup:

stroker
05-16-13, 07:56 PM
Dammit. I met him when I was about 12 years old. If there was an A&W anywhere near here I'd go have a root beer in his memory. I still remember that purple Mustang...

TRDfan
05-17-13, 10:46 AM
Very sad.

Grew up watching him on our local short track and there is the
"Dick Trickle 99" run every year during Oktoberfest Race Weekend.

nrc
05-17-13, 11:31 AM
Sad indeed. Dick Trickle was NASCAR back when NASCAR was NASCAR. If you follow me.

He epitomized tenacity so I'm surprised that he would go out that way. Searching around, evidently he suffered chronic debilitating pain in his chest that has never been explained.

RIP

JohnHKart
05-17-13, 01:11 PM
Sad . He wasn't known for a healthy lifestyle , smoking will cause heart and lung pain. Always was a fan. Have read too his main reason was recently suffering from very bad chest pain. In 01 his granddaughter died in a fatal crash and is buried that cemetery. His nephew Chris died in 1998 a year after being shot in a random drive by. Chris was an outstanding driver that easily could have been a star in NASCAR.

devilmaster
05-17-13, 06:55 PM
It may sound heartless and cruel, but when I read about the circumstances of his death, I had hoped that his brain would be donated to the Boston University team that is studying athlete trauma and brain CTE.. (NFLers, NHLers, wrestlers, etc)

A man who drove for so long with open face helmets, and multiple crashes over the years... Was there more to his final actions?

pfc_m_drake
05-17-13, 09:45 PM
Sad indeed. Dick Trickle was NASCAR back when NASCAR was NASCAR. If you follow me.

He epitomized tenacity so I'm surprised that he would go out that way. Searching around, evidently he suffered chronic debilitating pain in his chest that has never been explained.

RIPYour first paragraph is dead on, and I definitely get what you're saying and agree.

With regard to the second part - sometimes people get to bad places in their lives and it seems like there's no other way out (Tony Scott also comes to mind). May they find the peace that they never found in life.

RIP.

Rogue Leader
05-18-13, 12:27 AM
My favorite Dick Trickle Quotes:

When asked about driver fitness and his smoking and drinking habit
"You know how you get in shape to drive a ****ing race car? You drive a ****ing race car."
When interviewed after being in a crash
"It was at least 50% my fault, I went out there with them idiots"
Advising Talladega safety crew on a big wreck
"Just bring me a cigarette & some coffee & go help the other guys"

The man had a hole drilled in his helmet so he could smoke during caution flags, if thats not badass I don't know what is. RIP Dick