PDA

View Full Version : España

cameraman
05-12-13, 11:12 PM
That was a good race. Nice to see that Ferrari decided to prove that driving fast is better than driving as slowly as possible:rolleyes:

It's also nice that the stewards decided not to penalize Alonso for grabbing the Spanish flag at the end.

Seems Caterham got billed 10,000 Euro for the loose tire.

At the end of the day no one is going into Monaco with any grid penalties which is a good thing.

SteveH
05-12-13, 11:24 PM
http://i.minus.com/iduSA6riVqO8T.gif

Fred showing everyone how it's done.

Indy
05-13-13, 12:29 AM
Meh.

WickerBill
05-13-13, 07:10 AM
Fred showing everyone how it's done.

Launch control will do that for ya. :p

- McLaren is a mess. I was really surprised to hear that they haven't won a constructor's title since 1998. That's a loooong time.
- Ferrari extends it's miraculous "perfect start, no bogging down for either driver" streak to 17 races, about 14 more than the next closest team
- For all of Buxton's bloviating about it, I don't think the balls-out, one extra stop strategy is going to work at many of the upcoming races... it just happened to be the right call in Spain. Truth is, lap times and the pit stop duration determines the strategy. Math.

Insomniac
05-13-13, 08:14 AM
Launch control will do that for ya. :p

- McLaren is a mess. I was really surprised to hear that they haven't won a constructor's title since 1998. That's a loooong time.
- Ferrari extends it's miraculous "perfect start, no bogging down for either driver" streak to 17 races, about 14 more than the next closest team
- For all of Buxton's bloviating about it, I don't think the balls-out, one extra stop strategy is going to work at many of the upcoming races... it just happened to be the right call in Spain. Truth is, lap times and the pit stop duration determines the strategy. Math.

You're on a LC kick. Just wondering, is LC banned in any form or was the spec ECU supposed to just remove it? Do you think Ferrari is modifying the ECU or using a mechanical trick like setting the clutch bite point?

Should work for Monaco and Canada as well since that pit shortcuts the circuit. I'd also say, it's possible that it could work for Ferrari (or others) over everyone but Lotus who seemed much faster when "protecting" tires.

Also, anyone else wonder why NBC made their car a stepped nose one vs. a smooth one in their graphics?

opinionated ow
05-13-13, 10:28 AM
This F1 season blows already. When you have spec components they should be so irrelevant to the race outcome that they shouldn't even get a mention. How often do they mention ECUs in a race? Formula One really shouldn't have any spec components as it is but when they do they shouldn't limit the cars. These tyres are an absolute farce. What good is it if the cars can't run 100% because they're limited not by grip but by artificial wear?

Surely this can't be selling Pirreli any road tyres...

Elmo T
05-13-13, 01:19 PM
Pirelli hits back.

Pirelli says it can bring boring processions back to F1 if asked (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107415)

When Pirelli returned to F1 for the 2011 season, it was asked to spice up the show and deliver multiple stop races with high degrading rubber, just like the famous 2010 Canadian Grand Prix.

Paul Hembery, its motorsport boss, is aware his company is facing criticism for what is happening on track right now, but he has made it clear that those calling for a radical overhaul need to be sure about exactly what they are hoping for.

"What do you want?" he said. "We were asked to provide two to three stops and replicate Canada [2010].

"I know some of you would like us to do a one stop race where tyres are not a factor, and you can go back to processional racing where the qualifying position is the end position, if that is what you want in racing.

"What do you want us to do? You tell us, we will do it."

WickerBill
05-13-13, 09:30 PM
Do you think Ferrari is modifying the ECU or using a mechanical trick like setting the clutch bite point?

All I know is what we hear and see on the broadcast; most in-car cameras reporting a good 3/4 second, maybe more, before the car is at full throttle with grip, but both Ferraris having a quick punch, a dip, then full throttle (and it seems to take about half as long as the others). Other Ferrari powered entries do not have this amazing start race after race after race.

It is *most definitely* not launch control of years gone by, but they're doing something since the midpoint of last year that makes them flawless every race. They're obviously smarter than everyone else, because they aren't doing anything wrong / aren't getting caught doing anything wrong. I bet even Webber could take off like a rocket in that Ferrari, and that dude probably bogs down his Golf R.

Andrew Longman
05-13-13, 10:32 PM
Pirelli hits back.

j
Pirelli says it can bring boring processions back to F1 if asked (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107415)maybe Pirelli should worry about what sells them more tires. I suspect being part of F1 in this manner isn't it.

I would be OK with tires playing some role in the race and race strategy, it just shouldn't be THE role. The way the car is designed, engineered, set up, and driven should be competing factors. As far as I can tell only Mercedes can't figure out how to get even the lousy tire performance everyone else has.

NismoZ
05-14-13, 02:13 PM
Great points, and I must say I come down on the side of WHO THE BEST DRIVER IS not who has the best brainiacs running the show. I was brought up on guys "carrying the car" not the "best CAR wins." I mention Stirling Moss because he was one who could DO that! I think I became a great fan of Chuck Yeager and those 1st seven astronauts because they DETESTED the idea that a chimp could do the same things THEY could! You guys know way more about it than I do but passing all those guys on the outside like that is nothing new...we saw it all the time on great ovals like Milwaukee and, hate 'em if you want, but Mario and Michael were GREAT at doing that! (Think they ever talked about such "strategy"?) Maybe for personality reasons you don't like "Fred" and for jealous reasons you HATE Ferrari but, dammit!...They are BOTH really, really GOOD! (right now:D)...

NismoZ
05-14-13, 02:15 PM
Oh, and "Meh" right back atch ya, Indy:p

WickerBill
05-14-13, 03:03 PM
But how can you differentiate? Is Vettel the best driver in F1 because he won in a Toro Rosso? Alonso because he won in an inferior car early last season?

I like watching (and rooting against) Alonso, and I'm not blaming him or Ferrari for having flawless starts. Like I said, I think they've found something nobody else has, either mechanical or electronic, that helps them always get +2 or +3 on lap 1. Hopefully by bringing that up, it doesn't mean I don't like to watch good drivers.

NismoZ
05-14-13, 05:01 PM
OK, you asked. Easy. No. And Yes!:D Hell, somebody in the crowd probably figures Grosjean is the best out there!

Gopeddle
05-14-13, 07:01 PM
I guess the reason I'm not an Alonso fan is because of the blackmail he attempted while at McLaren. That whole episode left a very bad taste in my mouth.

cameraman
05-14-13, 09:30 PM
The folks at Pirelli brought up a very good point that the teams have decided to ban all in-season testing. The only feedback that Pirelli gets is from a 2010 Renault, which turns out to be a poor model for the current car. Other than that, the only tire tests are the races themselves. Think about it, how many tens of thousands of miles of in season testing did Bridgestone & Michelin put in during the tire wars? These tires are unpredictable because the teams refuse to spend the money to test them.

That's idiotic and self-inflicted.

emjaya
05-14-13, 10:09 PM
OK, you asked. Easy. No. And Yes!:D Hell, somebody in the crowd probably figures Grosjean is the best out there!

Well, Grosjean did beat Vettel at the Race of Champions last year. :gomer:

Insomniac
05-15-13, 12:07 PM
You will never really know who is the best. Even in identical cars with ballast to make the weight exactly the same, the car may be better suited for another's driving style.

I think the goal is to throw in as many variables as they can. The technological advancements are making many of the variables from the past nearly moot. If we want to back to an age of no gimmicks, make CPU power scarce. :D

datachicane
05-15-13, 01:42 PM
I guess the reason I'm not an Alonso fan is because of the blackmail he attempted while at McLaren. That whole episode left a very bad taste in my mouth.

+10

datachicane
05-15-13, 01:43 PM
Y
I think the goal is to throw in as many variables as they can. The technological advancements are making many of the variables from the past nearly moot. If we want to back to an age of no gimmicks, make CPU power scarce. :D

Limit them to 8-bit registers.
:tony:

Rus'L
05-15-13, 02:54 PM
maybe Pirelli should worry about what sells them more tires. I suspect being part of F1 in this manner isn't it.

Really? Then why is it Pirelli badly wants their contract extended to stay in F1?

I think they have a pretty good grip on what their ROI is for being involved in F1.

Rus'L
05-15-13, 02:54 PM

Me, too.

But, he's been so brilliant lately carrying Ferrari on his back, it's impossible not to appreciate him.

Gopeddle
05-15-13, 07:18 PM
Me, too.

But, he's been so brilliant lately carrying Ferrari on his back, it's impossible not to appreciate him.

No doubt. The boy can sure peddle that red car around the track. Have to give the devil his due. But, I wonder what he'd do if, miracle of miracles, Massa started to out qualify and out race him like Hamilton did.

gerhard911
05-15-13, 08:22 PM
It is Ferrari, there is zero chance of that happening.

chop456
05-16-13, 02:47 AM
http://www.mydoorsign.com/img/lg/S/No-Peddlers-Engraved-Sign-SE-5127.png

TedN
05-16-13, 06:17 AM
He makes good coin too ....

Fernando Alonso is the third-highest 'international' sports earner on earth, according to the influential US magazine Sports Illustrated.

Excluding American athletes, like undefeated boxer Floyd 'Money' Mayweather who has already earned $90 million in 2013, the highest paid sportsman is British footballer David Beckham.

His $48 million is trailed by tennis' Roger Federer (43m), followed by Ferrari's Alonso, whose estimated $42 million in 2013 will include his retainer and endorsements.

Link (http://www.motorsport.com/#!/f1/news/alonso-third-on-international-sports-earners-list/)

Ted

NismoZ
05-23-13, 10:28 PM
Remember when the top three were all "Mikes?" Tyson, Schumacher and Jordan.