PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Walker, good?

Chief
05-09-13, 09:21 AM
Good move....now, make the cars less ugly...pronto.

Derrick Walker is NEW IRL competition boss (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-walker-hired-as-competition-boss)

Racing Truth
05-09-13, 12:18 PM
:thumbup::thumbup:Bring on Zak Brown, and I'm VERY happy.

Wheel-Nut
05-09-13, 01:05 PM
There's only 33 entries for Indy this year?

Racing Truth
05-09-13, 01:08 PM
There's only 33 entries for Indy this year?

Still possible Rice and/or Clausen run too.

G.
05-09-13, 01:08 PM
Not good.

The provincial H-G clan will now set about to destroy Walker. :\:shakehead

Look what they did to the well-respected, elder statesman, drivers' friend, Gil de Ferran, with the I-COLONIC committee.

gerhard911
05-09-13, 01:27 PM
Still possible Rice and/or Clausen run too.

Ummm, the link on the page says:

"Bell, Rice Push Indy Entries To 33"

You think the Budster's gonna drive two cars? Rhetorical question 'cause I don't give a crap if they have 23, 33 or 43.

Racing Truth
05-09-13, 01:40 PM

You think the Budster's gonna drive two cars? Rhetorical question 'cause I don't give a crap if they have 23, 33 or 43.

Rice is NOT on the current list. Might not happen at all.

Wheel-Nut
05-09-13, 02:51 PM
Kurt Busch testing for Andretti looks interesting.

Don Quixote
05-09-13, 02:58 PM
"Put those NASCAR boys in the same equipment and we will blow their doors off." :tony:

Racing Truth
05-09-13, 03:18 PM
Kurt Busch testing for Andretti looks interesting.

Yep, for '14. I think him doing it next yr. is a real possibility.

SteveH
05-09-13, 03:25 PM
Yep, for '14. I think him doing it next yr. is a real possibility.

If race start times are changed. right?

Racing Truth
05-09-13, 06:57 PM
If race start times are changed. right?

Unclear to me. Yes, the 500 now starts at Noon, local time, but that's only b/c Indiana is now on EDT, so the times should be the same as past attempts.

Easy
05-09-13, 11:54 PM
Lazier made it 33. Rice is all but a formality with Schmidt. There will be at least one bump. Probably Lazier. :tony:

TravelGal
05-10-13, 01:21 PM
What is about this that tugs at me? Derrick Walker, the scion of CART, Champ Car, open wheel racing. Now a kingpin at Indycar. It's good. For them. But in my mind, it's still "them" and Derrick Walker is one of them. I struggle with the idea. Kiwifan will understand whereof I speak.

Gopeddle
05-10-13, 05:48 PM
I prefer to think of it as "us" infiltrating "them".

TravelGal
05-10-13, 07:17 PM
I prefer to think of it as "us" infiltrating "them".

Good first post! At least a "Gopeddle" Do we know you as someone else? I love your insight. :thumbup:

emjaya
05-11-13, 02:18 AM
Six months before posting. That is good lurking.

nissan gtp
05-11-13, 08:43 AM
Six months before posting. That is good lurking.

more like infiltrating. :D

Gopeddle
05-11-13, 10:53 AM
Good first post! At least a "Gopeddle" Do we know you as someone else? I love your insight. :thumbup:

Not sure if we've met before. I've been around the business for about 20 years on the marketing/advertising end of things so we may have met somewhere along the way. I've been "Lurking" around the forum for many years but decided to post last year about the time of the USGP because of a comment concerning Michael Andretti, but by the time I was accepted to much time had passed so I let it slide.

A little background, I grew up near the Glen when F1 was still there so naturally I'm an open wheel fan. Don't care much for ovals, love F1, ALMS, Touring cars and think LeMans is the greatest spectacle in racing. Have no love for the France family, TG, Zak Brown or crap wagons. I am glad to see Walker involved with Indycar, a big step in the right direction.

Duroc
05-11-13, 11:52 AM
The usual month of May bul***it peddling.

0.20 220K viewers for Brazil.

Rus'L
05-13-13, 12:45 PM

:rofl:

They'll get at least 33 cars simply because of how much money the last place car gets. A low budget effort can actually make a profit (with the added sponsorship they can grunge up by making the field) just to take the green flag.

It's the only race where this is possible, which is why I always laugh when everyone makes a big deal whenever it appears there will not be 33 cars. Someone will always put together a last minute deal to get in when there is no bumping.

Rogue Leader
05-13-13, 07:15 PM
:rofl:

They'll get at least 33 cars simply because of how much money the last place car gets. A low budget effort can actually make a profit (with the added sponsorship they can grunge up by making the field) just to take the green flag.

It's the only race where this is possible, which is why I always laugh when everyone makes a big deal whenever it appears there will not be 33 cars. Someone will always put together a last minute deal to get in when there is no bumping.

Try every nascar race... Start and Park is becoming an industry!

gerhard911
05-13-13, 08:55 PM
Pretty sure he meant in the Irrelevant Racing League...

RTKar
05-13-13, 08:57 PM
What is about this that tugs at me? Derrick Walker, the scion of CART, Champ Car, open wheel racing. Now a kingpin at Indycar. It's good. For them. But in my mind, it's still "them" and Derrick Walker is one of them. I struggle with the idea. Kiwifan will understand whereof I speak.

Could not agree more and it is still, "us and them".

He really needs to be whispering the subliminal message, "DP01". Why bring him in now?

SteveH
05-13-13, 09:03 PM
Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic...

NismoZ
05-14-13, 03:42 PM
Ok, FINE...but...TOMORROW is the day I went to Indy every year from...I don't know, maybe 25 years...the Wednesday before the 1st weekend of qualifications! Went with my boss. Was his regular day off so he just wrote the schedule so I could go with him! Nice guy. Of course I had to call in sick on my OTHER job, but hey, I was going to a national historical landmark, so it was an "OK" personal day!;) Saw lots of stuff, got great pictures...Three of my BEST are actual POSED shots of Jimmy Clark, and one of Dan Gurney and another of Graham Hill...as they walked from Gasoline Alley to the pits. They just stopped and smiled for the camera! Didn't even have to be asked! It was tough getting a shot of one guy, though. He was surrounded by WOMEN...giving autographs... Mario! Must have been '66...which means I wasn't working, but I sure had to cut a bunch of classes to get there! I even cleared it with my instructors one of whom said he had actually worked on the crew of the guy who had cartwheeled down the main straight one year! Damn, I can't remember the driver but it would have been an early '60s roadster. It'll come to me unless one of YOU beat me to it!:) Sat with Parnelli Jones one year in turn 2, just watching how guys were doing. Saw Tim Richmond break his leg DIRECTLY in front of us as he spun out of T-4 one year at pit in and hit the inside wall. Hadn't even driven a stock car yet, I don't think, but I thought he would become a really good driver from what I saw. Saw the first 180, 190, and 200 mph laps, too. Pretty sure. Wednesday was THE day to go. All for ONE dollar! ANYway...I'm not going this year and probably won't go again but I sure had a lot of fun...for a long time. It DOES pain me to hear all the trash talk about the place and the race and I KNOW it's all different but then I was around when all The USAC people just HATED the transition from front rear engines, the arrival of the long-haired crew and drivers but it was the PERFECT time to be a REAL race fan!:D Hope you weren't bored by this...but I REALLY am a little emotional about the passing of time... and old friends and... GOOD times. Still love racing!!! PS...I'm not THAT old...just started young!

NismoZ
05-14-13, 10:09 PM
Jack Turner! (?)

Indy
05-14-13, 10:48 PM
Don't feel bad, NismoZ. You are not the only one. You are older than I, so I didn't get to see Gurney/Hill/Clark, but I had my own era and my own heroes, all bigger than life at the time. All I have left is sadness. On the rare occasion I am there I still feel excitement, but it is a conditioned response that is soon let down by reality.

And **** Tony George.

TravelGal
05-15-13, 12:42 AM
Don't feel bad, NismoZ. You are not the only one. You are older than I, so I didn't get to see Gurney/Hill/Clark, but I had my own era and my own heroes, all bigger than life at the time. All I have left is sadness. On the rare occasion I am there I still feel excitement, but it is a conditioned response that is soon let down by reality.

:thumbup:

And **** Tony George.

and :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
05-15-13, 11:39 AM
This is how I remember the 500. Not the crash part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k33sBpPsAu0

NismoZ
05-15-13, 12:33 PM
HA! I remember when BILL George raced Indy and recall 2nd generation :tony: when he raced in Formula Atlantic, or whatever the early opener race was, Super Vees, maybe? He wasn't very good at that either!:D

NismoZ
05-15-13, 02:43 PM
BOY, did Mario want to nail "Coogan" (as AJ referred to him) in the chops! He was fast but not very good. Wasn't used to instant boost, I guess. Didn't Roberto Guerrero do the same thing once, on THE PACE LAP? Back straight, as I recall. Cogan also came into the pit lane one year in just the tub, upside down, after knocking off most other parts on the end of the pit wall! Nice looking kid. Glad he got out while he still HAD that look!

Rus'L
05-15-13, 02:56 PM
Pretty sure he meant in the Irrelevant Racing League...

Exactly!

Sheesh.

Indy
05-15-13, 10:53 PM
Wasn't Coogan's wreck a mechanical failure? It surely looked like one.

DagoFast
05-16-13, 06:38 PM
Wasn't Coogan's wreck a mechanical failure? It surely looked like one.

He still claims it was. He was (and might still be) pissed that RP only acknowledged it privately, never publicly.*

*If you are talking about the one at the start involving Mario & AJ. If you were referring to the wreck in the Machinist Union car upside down on pit lane, I got nothin'.

NismoZ
05-16-13, 10:15 PM
Was some talk about riding the brakes while bringing up boost...and misjudging that, Mears bringing the field down way too slowly (though I don't understand how THAT would have caused Cogan to veer like that...UNLESS it was related to a failure caused by too much instant boost related to that braking strategy) and Andretti also took some heat for "jumping"? the start. Can't see even if that was true how it would have affected Cogan, nobody HIT him. Then Penske is a bad guy for hiding a car failure and eventually dumping Cogan? :shakehead Don't see that at all. Driving for Penske was the best thing that ever happened to Cogan and was the only reason he was in that position to HAVE the accident.

Andrew Longman
05-16-13, 10:20 PM
Wasn't Coogan's wreck a mechanical failure? It surely looked like one.Looked to me as a classic case of the turbo lighting up on cold tires and catching the driver out. Yes to the driver it feels like like half shaft snapped but that isn't what usually happens. Conan didn't have that much experience and even experienced drivers can get caught out on cold tire restarts. See 1992 Indy.

Indy
05-17-13, 09:26 AM
Usually when the rear snaps you can see the rotation with the front acting as the pivot point. Sam Posey says it best in the video, "it is as if he turned the wheel intentionally." That to me implies not oversteer, but a sudden change in the suspension or the drive. Unless Coogan just freaked out and turned the wheel for no reason.

Funny how I still give a **** about this controversy and would not even notice if it happened this year. :shakehead

Andrew Longman
05-17-13, 11:23 AM
True. But he snapped right and after hitting AJ he snapped left. That's not a half shaft or CVJ breaking IMO.

That looks more like an elderly driver mashing the gas thinking its the brake. :gomer:

NismoZ
05-17-13, 11:48 AM
I think he eventually WON a race...just one! (?)

Rogue Leader
05-17-13, 05:02 PM
I think he eventually WON a race...just one! (?)

Phoenix in 86