PDA

View Full Version : Rio

dando
05-05-13, 02:01 PM
That was actually a good race. Sato is a putz for blocking 4-5 times. Race control is moronic for not penalizing him for the obvious blocks in the closing laps. Justice served with Hinch passing Sato on the final turn. :thumbup:

-Kevin

NismoZ
05-05-13, 04:37 PM
Rio Paulo!?;) Of COURSE it was a great finish...because I bailed after all the yellows and it was too nice outside to park myself in front of a TV. Feast or famine in IndyCar. "Steady" Marco is 2nd!?

dando
05-05-13, 07:00 PM
Rio Paulo!?;) Of COURSE it was a great finish...because I bailed after all the yellows and it was too nice outside to park myself in front of a TV. Feast or famine in IndyCar. "Steady" Marco is 2nd!?

Rio, Paulo...220, 221..whatever it takes. ;) I just went by what TiVo showed in the description. It was a really good last 20 or so laps I caught it after mowing the wheat field. :saywhat: Other than Micro, that is. :gomer:

-Kevin

Indy
05-05-13, 07:06 PM
That was actually a good race. Sato is a putz for blocking 4-5 times. Race control is moronic for not penalizing him for the obvious blocks in the closing laps. Justice served with Hinch passing Sato on the final turn. :thumbup:

-Kevin

I didn't see it, but IMO blocking rules are ridiculous. You should be able to protect your position, period. Knowing how good Barfield is, I would bet it was a good no-call.

RTKar
05-05-13, 07:41 PM
Isn't it the "Month of May" at the sacred Speedway?

dando
05-05-13, 07:42 PM
I didn't see it, but IMO blocking rules are ridiculous. You should be able to protect your position, period. Knowing how good Barfield is, I would bet it was a good no-call.

Dude, if you were on a highway, three lanes each way, Sato went from far left and far right several times. :shakehead If you didn't see it, don't comment. It was obvious. :saywhat:

-Kevin

NismoZ
05-05-13, 08:11 PM

Duroc
05-05-13, 11:27 PM

Did Hinchcliffe chug some OJ in victory circle? I guess it's a fine line between respect for tradition and a desperate need for cash flow.

TKGAngel
05-06-13, 06:14 AM

More like the sacred Two Weeks of May. Pole/Bump Days are the 18th & 19th.

RTKar
05-06-13, 06:22 AM
Did Hinchcliffe chug some OJ in victory circle? I guess it's a fine line between respect for tradition and a desperate need for cash flow.

Isn't that what CART kept asking for? Reduce the time spent at 16th & Jonestown to reduce cost.

I guess it's a good idea now.

Indy
05-06-13, 07:34 AM
Dude, if you were on a highway, three lanes each way, Sato went from far left and far right several times. :shakehead If you didn't see it, don't comment. It was obvious. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Well, then, I would say he broke the rules as they are. But I still think the rules diminish the racing. But I understand they need them because the cars are identical, underpowered slugs, etc.

And I'll up your :shakehead with a :saywhat:, and your :saywhat: with a :rolleyes:.

emjaya
05-06-13, 09:23 AM
I saw Will Power's car on fire on the six o'clock news, but they didn't say who won the race. :\

Chief
05-06-13, 09:59 AM
What pass? I just saw the clip over at TF...it looks like TV missed it...:laugh:

dando
05-06-13, 10:26 AM
What pass? I just saw the clip over at TF...it looks like TV missed it...:laugh:

If you are referring to Hinch's pass on the final turn, I saw it live and rerun several times post-race. :confused: I'm not and Indycar lover, the final 20 laps or so was actually good. YMMV.

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
05-06-13, 10:37 AM
Turned out to be a **** weekend overall for us, but that was a pretty good race. Kudos to Hinchcliffe for his persistence ... I did think Sato was a bit daft there near the end, but there was only 1 instance that merited punishment, IMO, and usually no call comes until the 2nd one.

Some of the other officiating for the weekend left a little to be desired, but that's a story for another day.

If any of you make it to IMS this month, come by and see me. I won't tell anyone else you were here. :)

Chief
05-06-13, 11:29 AM
If you are referring to Hinch's pass on the final turn, I saw it live and rerun several times post-race. :confused: I'm not and Indycar lover, the final 20 laps or so was actually good. YMMV.

Either the IRL has mastered time travel or Brazillian TV has slow video switching. You decide....just an observation on my part. In fact, Sato musta crapped his pants or was smitten by a hottie in the front row to miss the apex of a hairpin like that. From the video I can't tell.

TF post Link (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?175719-Where-does-that-finish-rank-all-time&p=3325306&viewfull=1#post3325306)

TravelGal
05-06-13, 12:07 PM
Either the IRL has mastered time travel or Brazillian TV has slow video switching. You decide....just an observation on my part. In fact, Sato musta crapped his pants or was smitten by a hottie in the front row to miss the apex of a hairpin like that. From the video I can't tell.

TF post Link (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?175719-Where-does-that-finish-rank-all-time&p=3325306&viewfull=1#post3325306)

The announcing/TV differential was sometimes almost unnerving. Every time I see this replay, my attention shifts to Servia in the background trying his darndest to get that podium finish. They don't call him "Swervia" for nothing.

dando
05-06-13, 12:15 PM

Me thinks he way have guessed wrong on his next blocking attempt.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
05-06-13, 01:21 PM
Me thinks he way have guessed wrong on his next blocking attempt.

-Kevin

Naw. His tires were toast. He ran the last 35-40 laps on one set of Reds. They had notihing left.

Blocking was ridiculous but I give Sato a lot of credit that he basicaly said in the post race that he thought so too. To paraphrase, "Maybe it was over the line (big smile and twinkle in his eye) but I think it was OK". He also gave Hinch a big hug and congrats afterwords. They both enjoyed the battle.

Gotta agree with you though. That was a damn good final 20 laps. Reminded me of a few really good street races from the CART years (runs).

Servia, Newgarten, Hinch, and a few others had truly inspiring drives. Strategy played into it in an interesting way.

If the cars just weren't so friggin ugly and had more balls. And weren't identical. At least the talent up and down the field is now pretty good and pretty even, putting a half dozen true wankers aside.

dando
05-06-13, 04:26 PM
Naw. His tires were toast. He ran the last 35-40 laps on one set of Reds. They had notihing left.

Blocking was ridiculous but I give Sato a lot of credit that he basicaly said in the post race that he thought so too. To paraphrase, "Maybe it was over the line (big smile and twinkle in his eye) but I think it was OK". He also gave Hinch a big hug and congrats afterwords. They both enjoyed the battle.

Gotta agree with you though. That was a damn good final 20 laps. Reminded me of a few really good street races from the CART years (runs).

Servia, Newgarten, Hinch, and a few others had truly inspiring drives. Strategy played into it in an interesting way.

If the cars just weren't so friggin ugly and had more balls. And weren't identical. At least the talent up and down the field is now pretty good and pretty even, putting a half dozen true wankers aside.

The finish of the race reminded me of the Glen last summer. The last lap pass needed something like this:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff272/Focus_On_Christ/cailin-greg_flips_off_juana_m.jpg

:D

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
05-06-13, 06:08 PM
I'd like to add a caveat to my offer upthread ... Ed is not my real name, so if you're planning on coming by to chat, please send me a PM here and give me a heads up so we can exchange info and you can actually find me.

I'd like to offer my sincere apologies to Anteater, who stopped by in Long Beach but was turned away by one of my teammates because I didn't have the foresight to make that clear. Hopefully I haven't missed out on any other opportunities to meet you guys in person because of my own blazing stupidity. :gomer:

emjaya
05-06-13, 07:06 PM

Sato looked like he locked the rears over the bumps and couldn't pull it up in time to make the apex.

Kiwifan
05-06-13, 07:24 PM
I'm so sorry, I can't stop laughing when I see those cars until I see pics above and then I cry. Saw 30 seconds of the race on the way to the Travel Channel. The passion has gone. :(

If anyone gets a thrill (Or job) from the Series then cool but I think I'm done. Maybe I wasn't that much of a fan after all? :shakehead :confused:

TravelGal
05-06-13, 09:09 PM
I'd like to add a caveat to my offer upthread ... Ed is not my real name, so if you're planning on coming by to chat, please send me a PM here and give me a heads up so we can exchange info and you can actually find me.

I'd like to offer my sincere apologies to Anteater, who stopped by in Long Beach but was turned away by one of my teammates because I didn't have the foresight to make that clear. Hopefully I haven't missed out on any other opportunities to meet you guys in person because of my own blazing stupidity. :gomer:

This reminds me of the time, back in 7G days, when I was looking for "Laguna Tuna" at San Jose. Didn't get very far. I had forgotten to get the real name and he (they) didn't know I was coming. Oy. :rolleyes: To veer even further off course, I happen to see a pic of Cristiano passing by on the KV website. I was just wondering about him today. How's he doing? I seem some Facebook posts but what's the real skinny? :)

TravelGal
05-06-13, 09:13 PM
I'm so sorry, I can't stop laughing when I see those cars until I see pics above and then I cry. Saw 30 seconds of the race on the way to the Travel Channel. The passion has gone. :(

If anyone gets a thrill (Or job) from the Series then cool but I think I'm done. Maybe I wasn't that much of a fan after all? :shakehead :confused:

Ah, Rusty, just think of them as really pretty pregnant lady bugs. And do NOT look at anything that resembles real racing cars. That said, I feel the same. I watch out of habit and to I know what Pressdog is talking about on Monday morning. That said, this was actually quite a race. First time I haven't had to fast forward through 2/3 of it -- ever.

JohnHKart
05-07-13, 01:33 AM
Bloody great race. With the second year the teams have this car going a lot racier . Can't wait for Indy. Gonna be nuts!

dando
05-07-13, 09:38 AM

If I wasn't nursing a back issue, I wouldn't have been watching either. I can't recall the last time I watched those pigs race all the way through. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Rex Karz
05-07-13, 12:45 PM
I don't waste my time on that fecally-enhanced Leegue. :thumdown:

Hard Driver
05-07-13, 10:23 PM
Strong driver lineup
Turbos
Nice mix of road, street and ovals
Competitive racing, (added "push to Pass" from Champcar)
Tire and fuel strategies.

Basically, the humps around the rear wheels are ugly. But besides that, it is pretty much following the old CART playbook.

So I agree, the cars look butt heavy and kind of have a go kart with bumpers feel. But overall, it is the best American open wheel racing in a long long time.

gerhard911
05-07-13, 10:44 PM
But overall, it is the best American open wheel racing in a long long time.

Define "a long time". You suffer from Alzheimer's?

Indy
05-08-13, 12:38 AM
The problem is the casual v. hard core thingy. I can enjoy almost any racing if the competition is good. But that is not the same as being so fascinated with a series that your leisure life revolves around it. Only CART was that fascinating. Indy Car 2013 has "good racing," it just isn't interesting enough to follow.

cameraman
05-08-13, 12:11 PM
Define "a long time". You suffer from Alzheimer's?

I'd guess almost exactly 5 years.

TravelGal
05-08-13, 12:34 PM
The problem is the casual v. hard core thingy. I can enjoy almost any racing if the competition is good. But that is not the same as being so fascinated with a series that your leisure life revolves around it. Only CART was that fascinating. Indy Car 2013 has "good racing," it just isn't interesting enough to follow.

:thumbup: You hit the nail on the head. Absolutely exactly. All my time and resources used to revolve around which races I'd go to that year. I rarely repeated. I haven't been, even to my home race, 40 miles away, since the mergification.

Racing Truth
05-08-13, 03:17 PM
This brings us to the "problem," if that's the word, of modern formula racing in America. F1 decided in '09 to artificially keep their speeds in check. Other than maybe Monza and Spa, it's unclear to me that this needed to be done. By the nature of it, overall and top-end speeds on rc's are lower than those of ovals. Which brings us to American formula racing, aka "IndyCar."

A look at the current, if still insufficient, schedule points to the issue: Indianapolis, Pocono and Fontana. Not to mention the three other ovals (esp. Texas). By 2000, we had essentially climbed Everest; we just didn't know it yet. 241 was thrilling; it was also a warning. Left unchecked, and w/o a split, where would evolution had taken us to at, for baseline, Indy? 250? 255 maybe? Anyone think that's a good idea? I don't and, in the end, neither did anyone in the sport.

Sure, we could (perhaps should) be going at 235-240, but in the end, you're working on the fringe, nothing more. Speeds will be simply be held to that number, instead of 220-25. Maybe that matters, but really, how much?

The era of great technological innovations is over in IndyCar. Yes, I'd like a more open (though not totally open) rulebook and a better looking car(s). But that's working along the margins. The game changed. We're just starting to realize it.

Chief
05-08-13, 04:00 PM
I can do with less speed, less aero, less side-by-side, less mechanic adjustable tripe etc. But, the easiest thing to control was the looks. IMS controlled the margins on looks and FAILED. And don't tell me form trumped function because Wheldon wasn't dead when he was testing that uglymobile and that thing could probably still race good WITH attractive body panels.

The whole package? NO. But, at least if I have to live with it it could look less like a cross between Moms Mabley and a dog dragging it's butt on the ground.

Until then, off with their heads. :yuck:

SteveH
05-08-13, 04:01 PM
For me the oval formula needs a heavy revision. The cars don't need to slow down on the straights but do need to run slower through the corners. Reduce aero. Increase braking. The emphasis needs to be on the talent behind the wheel not behind the pit wall. Separate the men from the boys.

Don Quixote
05-08-13, 04:25 PM
For me the oval formula needs a heavy revision. The cars don't need to slow down on the straights but do need to run slower through the corners. Reduce aero. Increase braking. The emphasis needs to be on the talent behind the wheel not behind the pit wall. Separate the men from the boys.Like you haven't been saying this for 15 years. :D

Racing Truth
05-08-13, 05:32 PM
For me the oval formula needs a heavy revision. The cars don't need to slow down on the straights but do need to run slower through the corners. Reduce aero. Increase braking. The emphasis needs to be on the talent behind the wheel not behind the pit wall. Separate the men from the boys.

In theory, yes, but it's going to be a constant battle w/ engineers. The aero/df rules and the brakes will have to be so tightly managed yr. after yr.

I'd like, oh, 100-150 more hp and trimming df some. But 1,000hp, uber-low df beasts? Not happening.

BTW: The oval formula really did work, by accident, at Texas and Fontana.

Indy
05-09-13, 09:55 PM
They are not doing a bad job with the oval formula. They need to use an engine where they can dial in 200 more hp for the RC's.

But even if they did everything else right, that particularly ugly spec chassis is unforgivable.