PDA

View Full Version : Headlights

Andrew Longman
04-26-13, 02:35 PM
I have a 2006 BMW 325i and I am not totally pleased with the light it throws out front. Compared to my old TL, I guess I was spoiled. And living in an area with 300+ deer per square mile anything to help avoid a collision is worth the investment.

So OC braintrust, what do you suggest?

I am not willing to pay many hundreds to put in entire new assemplies, but I would be willing to pay for top end lamp replacements if they were really a lot better.

dando
04-26-13, 02:47 PM
I have a 2006 BMW 325i and I am not totally pleased with the light it throws out front. Compared to my old TL, I guess I was spoiled. And living in an area with 300+ deer per square mile anything to help avoid a collision is worth the investment.

So OC braintrust, what do you suggest?

I am not willing to pay many hundreds to put in entire new assemplies, but I would be willing to pay for top end lamp replacements if they were really a lot better.

What's in there now? I replaced my Bimmer's headlights fairly easily with Xenon replacements last winter from Autozone before I finally cut the cord. I live in a fairly heavy deer populated area, and they did a good job of helping my failing eyes see them in advance. I also take care to put on the brights in the neighborhood in case and kids are out late. I also use the fog lamps to enhance. I tagged a deer years ago near Newark on the way back from visiting my grandfather. Not fun either way. :-\ But it wasn't Tommy Boy.

QbSFxlfuf9s

:gomer:

-Kevin

dando
04-26-13, 02:50 PM
And fear the flying deer...

XCTwonFBHY4

:D

-Kevin

Elmo T
04-26-13, 03:38 PM
Short of full scale mods, I've been less than pleased with headlights I've tried. Best I had was on my old P/U - added aftermarket Hella driving lights.

nissan gtp
04-26-13, 03:46 PM
^I agree, driving lights is the best option

dando
04-26-13, 06:58 PM
BTW, I prefer 36 DDDs. :D

-Kevin

stroker
04-26-13, 10:06 PM
BTW, I prefer 36 DDDs. :D

-Kevin

I was just about to say I'd hoped this thread would be about high beams.

Wrong website, I guess.

:gomer:

nrc
04-28-13, 04:45 PM
Assuming that you're talking about light output when you're not facing oncoming traffic then driving lights might be the best option. Third party HID retrofits are probably available but I don't know whether they can be trusted to put out more light or just look cooler.

Elmo T
04-29-13, 10:00 AM
Probably have this covered already, but how's the headlight aim?

I love the light from the Subie's headlights - then mechanic noted that they are aimed too high. Not so high as to be a violation per se, but at the upper limits. I get maybe one or two high beam flashes a month from oncoming drivers. I told him to keep them right where they are.

Andrew Longman
04-29-13, 03:41 PM
I think the aim is OK but I will double check. I bought this car used from a dealer and then realized about 2 months later at the first oil change that the front sub frame had hit something and was bent. $4000 later.... So who knows.

Mostly the light isn't very "white" or bright. It has "fog" lights which I routinely use when not running on brights and it is OK, it just could be much better compared to my old TL.

A trip to the Autozone for replace a bulb on the kid's Passat prompted me to upgrade their bulbs to a $45/pair set which was supposed to give 35% more output. My daughter says she can't tell the difference but she has a hard time accepting any improvement in her life. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless she might be right and it might make even less sense to upgrade my to a $65/pair set (more when you consider the 325 has four headlights).

TravelGal
04-29-13, 05:45 PM
Mostly the light isn't very "white" or bright. It has "fog" lights which I routinely use when not running on brights and it is OK, it just could be much better compared to my old TL.

Ah, the light dawns (couldn't resist). You must have had those headlights that Acura used for a year or two. Far superior for throwing light and illuminating the road but the public simply didn't take to the them so they've gone back to the more traditional (and yellowish) headlights. Can't think of whatever name they called it. Glad to be of so much help. :laugh: