PDA

View Full Version : F1 Long Beach Rumors

Elmo T
04-16-13, 07:53 AM
F1 tipped to replace IndyCar at Long Beach (http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/16/f1-tipped-to-replace-indycar-at-long-beach/)

Maybe F1 as a support race for the premier drivers of Indycar? :rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
04-16-13, 08:53 AM
Plans are moving well for the NJGP but I can see Bernie looking for additional was to extort more money out of the organizers.

And I think three GPs in the US on both coasts and the top media centers as well as one in the middle catering to Latin America are exactly the right things for F1.

Napoleon
04-16-13, 10:08 AM
I just do not see the US ever having 3 GPs in a single year.

stroker
04-16-13, 11:18 AM

Do the math. Austin was a success and Long Beach has history. What does that tell you about NJ?

FCYTravis
04-16-13, 11:39 AM
It wouldn't be unprecedented for the US to have three GPs in one year.

1982: USGP West at Long Beach, Caesars Palace GP at Las Vegas and Detroit GP.

I agree it's unlikely to happen again, but hell, who knows what Bernie's thinking. Europe's economy appears stuck in perma-austerity mode and maybe he's going to have to dump some of those races. The USA may not be going gangbusters economically but we look positively fantastic compared to a lot of places.

SteveH
04-16-13, 12:05 PM

However along with Canada that would create a great environment for growth in NA. Throw in Brazil and we'd then have 5 races on our side of the planet all in reasonable time zones for viewing. That would be perfect and should scare the hell of gomernation.

WickerBill
04-16-13, 01:30 PM
Bernie will go wherever someone is willing to pay the fees.

Andrew Longman
04-16-13, 05:24 PM
Do the math. Austin was a success and Long Beach has history. What does that tell you about NJ?NJ/NY GP is going to be huge. Trust me. It could easily eclpise any other event on the schedule including Monaco, at least in terms of attendance, media attention, sponsor value and shear "eventness". It is going to look great on TV with Manhattan as a backdrop in almost every shot and the track I believe should be very racy.

Long Beach is already a success in a top media market but clearly threatened by a lousy race product. F1 would fix that in an instant. And LA and NY are home to most marketing agencies. This puts a sponsor opportunity right under their noses to see the potential.

Austin is also a huge success ands not going anywhere soon.

If NASCAR can have 36 races and team budgets north of $20 million for 43+ cars, then F1 can have three races in top markets for 20+/- cars

JohnHKart
04-16-13, 10:04 PM
Man this is awesome. I read a recent Zak Brown interview that mentioned this possibly happening. I've talked to two people about this today and got goose bumps each time. Headed to Long Beach Indy practice Friday, for possibly the next to last time??

emjaya
04-17-13, 09:17 AM
Great. :thumbup:

V32r81n96Mk

I hope it is a bit better organised than 1979. :gomer:

7Et7dMSC1uk&NR

Indy
04-17-13, 08:44 PM
Those comments from Hunt are priceless. :laugh:

Easy
04-18-13, 12:51 PM
Didn't Bernie say sometime during the run up to Austin that its not currently feasible but in his perfect world there would be 5-6 Grands Prix in the US?

I am sure that Martin Whitmarsh said that McLaren and most other team's desire would be to add East and West coast US races.

Mary
04-19-13, 02:49 PM
A coworker of mine, who is not an F1 fan but knew that I am, mentioned the NJGP to me over a year ago. He said the people in the area were very excited about the prospect (he lives in Hoboken; I'm in Manhattan). Frankly I was shocked that he was aware of it. FWIW!

Mary

Rex Karz
04-19-13, 04:11 PM
Uncle Bernie plays lots of games. Some of his games are serious. Others are serious in regards to other games he plays. That is he may be floating LB as a site to pressure NJ to get its act together. Or for some other reason.

Who knows what goes on in the mind and corporate world of Uncle Bernie.

Rogue Leader
04-20-13, 12:58 AM
A coworker of mine, who is not an F1 fan but knew that I am, mentioned the NJGP to me over a year ago. He said the people in the area were very excited about the prospect (he lives in Hoboken; I'm in Manhattan). Frankly I was shocked that he was aware of it. FWIW!

Mary

I briefly dated a girl from Jersey City back in December and she was not into racing whatsoever, but she knew about it and was excited about it, and she said everyone else was talking about it too. I was really surprised by that actually. I honestly can't think of a better place to hold an F1 race that close to NYC.

JohnHKart
04-20-13, 03:57 AM
Hahaha- At long beach today actually had a guy working a bungee jump attraction ask me if the cars on track today were Formula One cars!!! I laughed and explained the differences- all 85 million and 500 people's worth and more! by the way, Friday was my bday, I just found out miss Judd was also born 4 19!