PDA

View Full Version : Beantown

Pages : [1] 2

dando
04-15-13, 04:06 PM
Patriot's Day and this happens. I'm sick. Jeebus.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/boston-marathon-explosions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

:shakehead :mad: :flame:

-Kevin

SteveH
04-15-13, 04:08 PM
2 dead, 22 injured

:(

devilmaster
04-15-13, 04:14 PM
Its awefully close to the bubba special day of april 19th. (Waco, OK bombing)

I'm more inclined to believe that its a homegrown rogue threat than a concerted attack.

Napoleon
04-15-13, 04:15 PM
This one is pretty bloody of the bombing scene

https://twitter.com/brm90/status/323876631980687361/photo/1

Napoleon
04-15-13, 04:16 PM
Its awefully close to the bubba special day of april 19th. (Waco, OK bombing)

And its "tax day" today.

TKGAngel
04-15-13, 04:27 PM
And the Bruins are supposed to play at 7p tonight in Beantown. Cancel the game, Gary. Cancel. The. Game.

ETA: per the Bruins players, the game is off.

Reports of more unexploded devices are coming in. Yikes.

Elmo T
04-15-13, 04:43 PM
Reports of 12 fatalities. All sketchy info - but numbers always seem to start low. :(

IMHO, I think DM has it right. Homegrown.

devilmaster
04-15-13, 04:53 PM
Press conference: 3rd incident at Jfk library

Napoleon
04-15-13, 04:59 PM
Press conference: 3rd incident at Jfk library

I have seen it reported that it was an unrelated mechanical problem.

Also now reporting 64 wounded.

And this:

2126: Roupen Bastajian, a 35-year-old Rhode Island state trooper, had just finished the race and donned a heat blanket when he heard the first blast. “I started running toward the blast. And there were people all over the floor,” he tells AP.

2126: Mr Bastajian adds: “We started grabbing tourniquets and started tying legs. A lot of people amputated… At least 25-30 people have at least one leg missing, or an ankle missing, or two legs missing.”

SteveH
04-15-13, 05:06 PM
Deadspin is updating on the fly - somewhat graphic
http://deadspin.com/explosions-reported-at-the-boston-marathon-473008941?utm_source=gizmodo.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

Don Quixote
04-15-13, 05:36 PM
I can't believe only two dead, in such a crowded place.

Gnam
04-15-13, 05:38 PM
A Saudi national?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/authorities_under_suspect_guard_y2m8cJO29uC2PDGIjY BalO

If true, this is getting old.

cameraman
04-15-13, 05:39 PM
A Saudi national?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/authorities_under_suspect_guard_y2m8cJO29uC2PDGIjY BalO

If true, this is getting old.

Boston police just denied that anyone was in custody. So who knows.

Andrew Longman
04-15-13, 05:47 PM
Boston police just denied that anyone was in custody. So who knows.
Yes I would wait for another source than the NY Post.

http://now.msn.com/boston-marathon-bombing-might-have-caught-newtown-families

This if true just reminds me too much about how McVieh said the OK City bombing was in part motivated by the first assault weapons ban. I just don't know how I would react to that if true. :flame: :shakehead

Napoleon
04-15-13, 05:47 PM
A Saudi national?

That is from the NY Post. If they ever happen to print something that is true its pretty much by accident.

WickerBill
04-15-13, 06:51 PM
2 fatalities, one eight years old. Two unexploded trash cans found.

Gnam
04-15-13, 07:26 PM
:(

Such a brutal attack.

gjc2
04-15-13, 07:56 PM
That is from the NY Post. If they ever happen to print something that is true its pretty much by accident.

Do you get the the NY Post in Ohio?

Indy
04-15-13, 08:14 PM
He probably gets the internets.

Indy
04-15-13, 08:16 PM
Really saddened by this. Patriot Day, Tax Day, gun bill, alleged Saudi National... I think we should all hold our judgement until the facts are in.

TravelGal
04-15-13, 11:13 PM
Really saddened by this. Patriot Day, Tax Day, gun bill, alleged Saudi National... I think we should all hold our judgement until the facts are in.

This is why I come here to find out what really happened when the news is all over the place.

I'm just sick about this--that there can be people who can do this sort of thing. Turns my stomach. :shakehead

Insomniac
04-16-13, 12:21 AM
Thankfully the couple people I knew running are OK. My cousin was pretty close to the finish line (~1/2 mile) and was diverted. They reacted real fast. We didn't know until later it was more the onlookers than the runners who were in the most danger/closest to the explosions/bombs. Very sad.

gjc2
04-16-13, 06:47 AM
It now appears that the NY Post story about the Saudi guy is true.

dando
04-16-13, 07:00 AM

Beat me to it. He appears to be a 'person of interest' and the cops are 'guarding' him @ the hospital.

A piece by Bonnie D. Ford buried in the back pages of E$PN.com:

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/9175969/endurance-sports-explosions-cut-core-boston-marathon

Excerpt:

Marathons, more than any other event I've covered in 20 years' worth of international sports experience, are a celebration of a range of achievement, not just the top percentile. The amateurs run in the footsteps of the elite. The pride is palpable from the front ranks all the way to the back. The massed color and movement at the start are an impressionist painting of accomplishment. Because -- honestly -- most normal folks would tell you that getting there is achievement enough. The training they invest and the self-belief they develop in the process are worth it, no matter how long it takes them to finish.

Beyond that, the Boston Marathon is a collective civic experience, a holiday with more than a century of history. Planting lethal bombs at any point on the course would have been a horrible, criminal act. The symbolism of planting them at the finish line, where so many have lifted their arms in exultation, is unbearable.

Powerful stuff.

:cry: and :flame:

VSdLRxyXmSI

:thumbup:

-Kevin

Tifosi24
04-16-13, 07:06 AM
Sadly, they just released the name of the little boy that died yesterday. Apparently, he was there with his mom and sister to see his dad finish the marathon. The sister lost a leg and the mom is still in the hospital, possible TBI.

The only positive at this point, if you want to call it that, isthat the devices did not use high explosives. I think if higher power explosives had been used, this would have looked a lot like Madrid and the number of casualties would be significantly higher.

dando
04-16-13, 07:25 AM
Boston Globe article:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/15/perfect-day-turns-evil/W7KQHq1NWFqukte3VQ14DJ/story.html?s_campaign=sm_tw

This is how bad this is. I went out Monday night and bumped into some firefighters I know. They said one of the dead was an 8-year-old boy from Dorchester who had gone out to hug his dad after he crossed the finish line. The dad walked on; the boy went back to the sidewalk to join his mom and his little sister. And then the bomb went off. The boy was killed. His sister’s leg was blown off. His mother was badly injured. That’s just one *family, one story.

:cry:

Bob Ryan, where art thou? :(

-Kevin

cameraman
04-16-13, 09:20 AM
The Saudi man, who was interviewed at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, had been seen running from the scene of the first explosion, a person briefed on preliminary developments in the investigation said on Monday afternoon. A law enforcement official said later Monday that the man, was in the United States on a student visa and came under scrutiny because of his injuries, his proximity to the blasts and his nationality — but added that he was not known to federal authorities and that his role in the attack, if any, was unclear.

Napoleon
04-16-13, 09:35 AM

Actually its been proven untrue, He was never picked up, he was never in custody, and the Mass Police have repeatedly made clear. As ussual a Murdoch property gets it wrong while trying to smear brown people.

BTW, the facts suggest the bomb was set off by two seperate cell phone calls, which is kind of tough to do if you are all burned up and running around.

Some good coverage of this in the Boston Globe this morn.

Napoleon
04-16-13, 11:04 AM
I can't believe only two dead, in such a crowded place.

"Luckily" it was steps from the medical tent which was full of medical personal and in the same area of several world class hospitals that were overstaffed yesterday for the marathon (that is SOP in Boston for that event). Staff was right there to stabalize people and then transport them on foot directly to emergency rooms and surgery.

With as many severed limbs that are being reported you have to believe that many would have bleed to death if the circumstances were different.

Gnam
04-16-13, 12:29 PM
Still no claim of responsibility. Guess the plan is to let the fear of the unknown sit awhile.

KLang
04-16-13, 12:39 PM
Actually its been proven untrue, He was never picked up, he was never in custody, and the Mass Police have repeatedly made clear. As ussual a Murdoch property gets it wrong while trying to smear brown people.

Not really. How about from CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57579766/fbi-seeks-images-in-boston-marathon-bomb-probe-new-details-emerge-on-explosives/)

The FBI took charge of the investigation, converging on a home in the suburb of Revere on Monday night. Authorities gave no details on the search. Investigators were seen leaving a building there early Tuesday carrying brown paper bags, plastic trash bags and a duffel bag.

CBS News senior correspondent John Miller reports the man being questioned is a Saudi national currently under guard at an area hospital. He was seen running from the explosion, and a civilian chased him down and tackled him. He was turned over to Boston police and was being interviewed by the FBI. He was being cooperative and denying any involvement and it was too soon to call him a suspect.

Miller says the man was being treated for burns on his hands, and authorities suggest he may be in the U.S. on a student visa.

cameraman
04-16-13, 12:56 PM
It is called the closest Arabian looking dude syndrome.:saywhat:

Late Monday night, law enforcement officials descended on an apartment building in the suburb of Revere, about five miles north of Copley Square, linked to a man the police took into custody near the scene of the bombings. But on Tuesday morning, one law enforcement official said investigators had determined that the man, who was injured in the blast and was questioned at the hospital, was not involved in the attack.

KLang
04-16-13, 01:03 PM
It is called the closest Arabian looking dude syndrome.:saywhat:

Perhaps. But the report by the NYPost was essentially correct at that time.

Napoleon
04-16-13, 01:05 PM
Still no claim of responsibility.

I can not in any way vouch for this, but some say that is a mark of a domestic right wing terrorist operation (for example McVeigh and the Turner Diaries).

TravelGal
04-16-13, 01:07 PM
A piece by Bonnie D. Ford buried in the back pages of E$PN.com:

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id...oston-marathon

Beautifully written. I've linked it elsewhere.

The more I read the more I cry. :cry:

cameraman
04-16-13, 01:47 PM
You know the coverage and the response to this is really pissing me off. The bombs are said to be pressure cookers filled with nails/ball bearing, powered by gun power from your local reloading shop and set off by cellphone. According to the "experts" that means they were built by someone with "expertise". ********. I'd say most of the people on this board could build such a device in pretty short order, it is just that we do not choose to spend our time building bombs. Why this constant need to make any bomber seem more skilled than they actually are?

And the reflexive over-reaction by the various authorities needs to be brought under control. There was a bombing in Boston so why is Logan Airport immediately shut down? The bombing was no where near the airport and had absolutely nothing to do with it yet it was shut down further amplifying the effect of the bombing for no other reason than bureaucratic panic.

Even now over a square mile of Boston is cordoned off for a crime scene the size of a football field at most. Many people were kept from their homes last night for no other reason than the police drew a random, nonsensical radius around bomb site and threw up the yellow tape. This urge to shut everything down just magnifies the damage - they are making the disruption of the bombing worse not better. They are not making anyone any safer.

Elmo T
04-16-13, 02:32 PM
This urge to shut everything down just magnifies the damage - they are making the disruption of the bombing worse not better. They are not making anyone any safer.

Assumed the airport shutdown was to stop badguy from fleeing? :confused:

I do know there were many packages/bags left in the vicinity, so those would, realistically, need to be cleared first. Might account for some part of the no-fly zone.

I was asked today to notify the higher levels of EMA of any mass gathering of 500 or more people. :rolleyes:

Once again, we are in the position of decided to be "safe" or to be "free". Choosing "safe" over "free" means the bad guys win. We will never be truly safe.

A ship in harbor is safe—but that is not what ships are for.

— John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928.

gjc2
04-16-13, 02:39 PM
I can not in any way vouch for this, but some say that is a mark of a domestic right wing terrorist operation (for example McVeigh and the Turner Diaries).

???????

datachicane
04-16-13, 02:48 PM
I think Nappy's just pointing out that domestic types rarely claim responsibility.

All conjecture at this point anyway, frankly.

Gnam
04-16-13, 03:04 PM
I was trying to remember if anyone claimed responsibility for bombing the Olympics in Atlanta in 1996. I know it took awhile to find that guy.

Napoleon
04-16-13, 03:35 PM
I was trying to remember if anyone claimed responsibility for bombing the Olympics in Atlanta in 1996. I know it took awhile to find that guy.

Eric Rudolph and he did not claim responsibility. Recall that Richard Jewell (sp?) a security guard took the initial fall as the perpitrator (something that may not have happened if someone/some organization was taking credit). Rudolph since has also confessed to other bombings for which credit had not been taken at the time.

TravelGal
04-16-13, 07:06 PM
You know the coverage and the response to this is really pissing me off. The bombs are said to be pressure cookers filled with nails/ball bearing, powered by gun power from your local reloading shop and set off by cellphone. According to the "experts" that means they were built by someone with "expertise".

Must have been early knee jerk, as you said, cm. By the time I could listen to any reports (2 PM Eastern) they were emphasizing exactly what you said later in your post. That anyone could find these instructions on the internet and make it. Not so sure I want every idiot in the country to know that but there it is.

Andrew Longman
04-16-13, 08:48 PM
I was trying to remember if anyone claimed responsibility for bombing the Olympics in Atlanta in 1996. I know it took awhile to find that guy.Yes it took a while to identify him but it happened based on people who saw him leaving scene and noted his license plate. He then hid in Smokey Mountains for five years with help from several like-minded NC whack jobs who brought him food, etc. he was caught when a cop caught him dumpster diving for food.

Andrew Longman
04-16-13, 08:56 PM
Once again, we are in the position of decided to be "safe" or to be "free". Choosing "safe" over "free" means the bad guys win. We will never be truly safe.Well said and a great quote. I also agree though with your security assessment. I would only add that the authorities may also want to collect every security camera tape from a wide perimeter before something happens to them.

Still my wife is going into NYC tomorrow and already trying to figure out how to navigate heightened security there. And she is really uncomfortable going into crowded manhattan after the bombings in Boston. I told her to perhaps avoid Times Square but she really shouldn't worry at all. Don't let the whack jobs win.

So I hope I am right. :\

Insomniac
04-16-13, 09:41 PM
And the reflexive over-reaction by the various authorities needs to be brought under control. There was a bombing in Boston so why is Logan Airport immediately shut down? The bombing was no where near the airport and had absolutely nothing to do with it yet it was shut down further amplifying the effect of the bombing for no other reason than bureaucratic panic.

Another reason to go overboard immediately after is you now have attention placed there and it could be the beginning of something bigger?

Insomniac
04-16-13, 09:42 PM
I think Nappy's just pointing out that domestic types rarely claim responsibility.

All conjecture at this point anyway, frankly.

And the timing. Patriots Day/Tax Day. Very much could be anti-Gov't people.

G.
04-17-13, 12:52 AM
Another reason to go overboard immediately after is you now have attention placed there and it could be the beginning of something bigger?

Anders Breivik used this tactic, to horrific effect.

EVL29
04-17-13, 04:55 AM

If it was "anti-Gov't people",they probably would have targeted the government. Right wing anti-gov't types would go for Federal buildings,state bureaucracy buildings,maybe even a post office. Left wing anti-Gov't types might go for military offices(recruiters etc.) or a police station,maybe even a bank(y'know,because of corruption etc.).

This bombing was purely a civilian target.

This was an act of pure terror. Does't mean it was the muslims,foreign or domestic. But if it was Christians,of the wack-job variety,they probably would've targeted abortion stuff(like Rudolph)or maybe gay stuff(pride parade).

Personally,I'm guessing that someone just wanted to kill,not "change the world".

Tifosi24
04-17-13, 07:13 AM
If it was "anti-Gov't people",they probably would have targeted the government. Right wing anti-gov't types would go for Federal buildings,state bureaucracy buildings,maybe even a post office. Left wing anti-Gov't types might go for military offices(recruiters etc.) or a police station,maybe even a bank(y'know,because of corruption etc.).

This bombing was purely a civilian target.

This was an act of pure terror. Does't mean it was the muslims,foreign or domestic. But if it was Christians,of the wack-job variety,they probably would've targeted abortion stuff(like Rudolph)or maybe gay stuff(pride parade).

Personally,I'm guessing that someone just wanted to kill,not "change the world".

Time will tell as to who is responsible. Your points are all valid, but I always take the approach that if you want to try and understand whack-a-mole activity, which this clearly is, you have to try and think like a nut. Despite the targeting of innocent civilians, I am still leaning toward someone domestic, anti-government, despite the lack of a government target. The nutjob is upset that people are having fun, in of all places Boston where the Revolution began, while the government is destroying our freedoms. I just pray that this isn't the start of more random, small-scale events.

Napoleon
04-17-13, 10:43 AM
Several interesting stories today in the Boston Globe on the medical response including these two.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/17/after-years-drills-hospitals-put-test/o2JBWKMXtPV62CRBvBirrO/igraphic.html

http://www.bostonglobe.com/2013/04/17/bgcom-xref-medical-hospital/ST1ztCmeNWJ2O0V6Mxq9LJ/story.html

nrc
04-17-13, 12:33 PM
It's hard to say how many lives may have been saved by the fact that the nature of the Marathon requires that they be prepared to handle a large number of patients.

Gnam
04-17-13, 01:47 PM
CNN's John King is reporting that "substantial progress" has been made in the investigation: Boston officials believe they may have identified a bombing suspect. It is said to be a "clear identification of a suspect" based on new video, obtained with help of a local TV station. King's law enforcement source in Boston called it a "significant breakthrough" and a "game changer," having been told there is "one suspect" — though this doesn't necessarily rule out a second suspect.

No confirmation of an arrest has been made and no identifying details have emerged other than what was described to King as a "dark skinned male individual."

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/04/boston-bombing-third-victim/64302/

Since it wasn't a suicide bombing, does the bomber get "cut-out" and dropped in a hole somewhere?
[/spy novel]

datachicane
04-17-13, 01:52 PM
Authorities believe they have identified a suspect from video footage in the Boston Marathon bombings, Reuters reported Wednesday. An arrest is imminent, according to the AP.

The FBI is holding a press conference at 5 p.m. and is expected to announce the news then. CNN reported that the breakthrough in the investigation came from analyzing department store surveillance video and video from a news station.

The Boston Globe reported that officials have found an image of "a suspect carrying, and perhaps dropping, a black bag at the second bombing scene."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/boston-marathon-investigation-fbi-announce-substantial-progress-probe-170749073.html

devilmaster
04-17-13, 01:53 PM
Cnn now reporting an arrest has been made.

Gnam
04-17-13, 02:05 PM
Will be interesting to see who gets to prosecute: State or Feds.
Feds still have the death penalty.

devilmaster
04-17-13, 02:10 PM
Cnn sayibg federal court

SteveH
04-17-13, 02:20 PM
Interesting....

http://i.imgur.com/GHkXoqf.jpg

devilmaster
04-17-13, 02:30 PM
Former fbi agent and now cnn analyst tom fuentes says no arrest has been made

Cnn has backed off

datachicane
04-17-13, 02:48 PM
It's academic at this point, they'll likely be in custody before the 5PM news conference.

dando
04-17-13, 03:11 PM
It's academic at this point, they'll likely be in custody before the 5PM news conference.

I'm guessing the POS is in custody already. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Napoleon
04-17-13, 03:35 PM
I almost have a hard time believing they could possiblty nab the guy this quick and figured the reports this afternoon are bunk, but the NY Times is reporting the Boston courthouse has been surrounded by police and is being cleared.

To get someone this quick it is either 1) going to be that Saudi student, 2) someone they interviewed as part of the investigation already so they recognized him from the Lord and Taylor video or 3) it is someone who they had under watch before all of this so were quickly able to make the connection when the Lord and Taylor video surfaced.

Don Quixote
04-17-13, 03:37 PM
A caller on the radio show here said it was a bomb threat at the courthouse.

EVL29
04-17-13, 03:56 PM
SteveH.....are those actual pics of the Boston bomb parts?

If so,this just convinces me that this attack is another Unabomber type wacko.

Elmo T
04-17-13, 04:11 PM
The IRL500 hasn't gotten this much press since the split. :rolleyes::shakehead

SteveH
04-17-13, 04:35 PM

Can't say for sure. You know how the internet is...

nrc
04-17-13, 04:44 PM

I saw the battery pack pic on a news report so I assume so.

Napoleon
04-17-13, 05:24 PM
It's hard to say how many lives may have been saved by the fact that the nature of the Marathon requires that they be prepared to handle a large number of patients.

That is for sure.

Some more interesting take from Atul Gawande, New Yorker staff writer (and Boston area surgeon who is a very interesting author on medical subjects):

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/04/why-bostons-hospitals-were-ready.html

Napoleon
04-17-13, 08:01 PM
So the evening news had those RC parts all over them, so apparently that is what they found.

Serious question, why?

If it was me, and I could build the most sophisticated bomb possible, I would still have done it with stuff like pressure cookers and RC cars I bought at garage sales.

Napoleon
04-18-13, 08:23 AM
So Boston police are now saying that at least 2 people were involved with placing the bombs, one for each site.

nrc
04-18-13, 09:17 AM
Makes sense. I was thinking earlier that it would be challenging for one person to bring in two backpacks and get them in place in a short span of time and not get noticed.

Interesting that they're circulating the pictures among law enforcement but not the public. Perhaps not enough certainty to implicate someone?

cameraman
04-18-13, 09:50 AM
It isn't uncommon for people to drop off bags with clothes at the finish area of a marathon with stuff for the runners. So seeing someone drop off a bag is not enough to warrant putting their faces on the TV and wrecking their life.

Napoleon
04-18-13, 09:55 AM
If they have pictures of them setting those bags down I doubt they have any doubt.

Likely they would do that because the best result for the police would be to figure out who they are without revealing publically what they have so they can pick up the suspects before they have a chance to flee. So there are taking a flyer that some cop in Milwaukee, or wherever, will recognize at least one of them as someone he picked up stealing a pressure cooker or something.

I wonder if the fact they did not release them yesterday is because they are running face recognition software on every photo they can get their hand on to see if they get any matches.

If those pictures are really clear they run a serious chance the suspects take off before they can ID them.

It isn't uncommon for people to drop off bags with clothes at the finish area of a marathon with stuff for the runners. So seeing someone drop off a bag is not enough to warrant putting their faces on the TV and wrecking their life.

Except they know exactly where the bombs went off and what was sitting there prior to the explosion. BTW, my understanding is that your cloths are "pre-dropped off" at the finish line. That was what those pictures of all the yellow bags were.

dando
04-18-13, 10:36 AM
We. Are. America. :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://www.freep.com/article/20130418/SPORTS05/304180117/boston-bruins-national-anthem

-Kevin

Indy
04-18-13, 12:53 PM
The New York post is showing a picture of two young men, Arab looking. Someone on facebook posted a picture of a middle-aged white guy. Again many people are going to jump to conclusions, depending on their political leanings.

Until a jury convicts someone, it ain't real.

Napoleon
04-18-13, 01:35 PM
The New York post is showing a picture of two young men, Arab looking.

And for the record, at least one national correspondent (who use to be an assistant FBI director) has since gone on record to say those two are not who they are looking for (I presume he has seen the pictures) and others have pointed out that one of the two is a local high school student, soccer player and TRACK TEAM MEMBER who, I don't know, may be a fan of track events. In fact it is easy to find pictures he had taken of himself at the event IN HIS TRACK SUIT in front of the marathon's logos. BTW the kid has had to delete or mask his Facebook account as a result of the harrasment he has now gotten.

The Post is jonesing to smear a certain group of people, and the truthfulness of what they print is irrelevant. They had a picture of two brown people with bags at that event so they ran with it. I assume your unnamed facebook poster is no better.

datachicane
04-18-13, 01:53 PM
Confirmation bias will be the end of us all. :(

cameraman
04-18-13, 05:42 PM
M80DXI932OE

When most people are carrying backpacks it can get a bit complicated...

Don Quixote
04-18-13, 05:44 PM
Photos of the suspects.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston/photos

gjc2
04-18-13, 06:15 PM
Arab looking.

People think I'm Jewish when in fact I'm Roman Catholic.

Three of my four grandparents where born in Sicily, the fourth was born in Rio de Janeiro of parents who were born in Sicily.

My point is, don't jump to conclusions.

nrc
04-18-13, 06:31 PM
One sequence of photos that has been on the CNN site for a while showing the immediate aftermath of one of the blasts shows a man with shredded clothing running away from the blast site while most people are still flinching. It looks very much like it could be the guy with his hat on backwards in the photos being circulated.

Can't find them on CNN now but they're here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2310596/Boston-bombings-latest-FBI-use-phone-records-identify-suspect.html

TravelGal
04-18-13, 09:28 PM

Just for the record, today is Patriot's Day. The 18th of April. Monday was Patriot's Day observed because it works well for the Marathon to be on a Monday. I know it's a tiny point but I hate to see such a quaint, historic Massachusetts holiday completely besmirched.

Also, I agree with gjc2. Arab looking? Is that the dark skinned Arabs or the light skinned Arabs? I realize this is the instant gratification world but some things do take time to sort out.

JohnHKart
04-19-13, 12:59 AM
Hmm.. It's pretty obvious what group these guys are with. Definitely not the disgruntled anti government white suspects I had in mind. They are probably long gone and could have easily been on a flight back to the middle east by that evening. Unusual too in that they didn't blow themselves up.

chop456
04-19-13, 01:31 AM
Hmm.. It's pretty obvious what group these guys are with. Definitely not the disgruntled anti government white suspects I had in mind. They are probably long gone and could have easily been on a flight back to the middle east by that evening. Unusual too in that they didn't blow themselves up.

As opposed to all the other suicide bombings in the U.S?

Times Square almost-bombing was the same as this.

Hello?

Gnam
04-19-13, 02:35 AM
WTH is going on now? Someone shoots up MIT, police converging, related or just more spring madness?

http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/Police-converge-on-neighborhood-outside-Boston-4446982.php

chop456
04-19-13, 03:04 AM
WATERTOWN — One suspect in Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings has been captured, according to an official with knowledge of the investigation. Another remains on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with police. Authorities have established a 20-block perimeter as they search for him.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/18/mit-police-officer-hit-gunfire-cambridge-police-dispatcher-says/4UeCClOVeLr8PHLvDa99zK/story.html

devilmaster
04-19-13, 03:26 AM
one hell of a night....

WHDH and boston globe saying that these are the marathon bombers; other news medias holding off saying so
WHDH says the one suspect in custody is dead
Also a transit police officer has been shot
2nd suspect still at large, reports of grenades

devilmaster
04-19-13, 04:29 AM
Police confirm that white hat marathon bombing suspect is on the loose. media reporting the other bomber dead at hospital

EVL29
04-19-13, 05:04 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIMiuAMCMAAvhY6.jpg:large

Napoleon
04-19-13, 06:10 AM
It looks very much like it could be the guy with his hat on backwards in the photos being circulated.

I can not find him in those pictures, but from what Pete Williams just said on NBC it sounds like the guy with the white cap was, according to police, not very far away when he set the bomb off.

Napoleon
04-19-13, 06:47 AM
NBC says they are brothers (19 and 20 YO) who had permanent resident status and that they are Chechens who had been living in Turkey.

NismoZ
04-19-13, 07:18 AM
*Ooo...elite Cambridge Latin School scholarship winner! A real smart guy. Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev.

JohnHKart
04-19-13, 07:34 AM
Hmm really strange. Naked guy being put in the police car was fine
.. Who was that ? Can't be dead. Must have been a mistake.

Napoleon
04-19-13, 07:50 AM
This is the guy who is at large's page on Russia's version of Facebook:

http://vk.com/id160300242

gjc2
04-19-13, 08:03 AM
I’m thinking they (law enforcement) had reason to believe a second wave of bombings were planned, and that the release of the pictures yesterday was only to force the terrorist’s hand.

NismoZ
04-19-13, 08:55 AM
Must have worked!

nrc
04-19-13, 09:20 AM
Hmm really strange. Naked guy being put in the police car was fine
.. Who was that ? Can't be dead. Must have been a mistake.

My guess is that it was the person who was car jacked - trying to make sure he wasn't involved.

Napoleon
04-19-13, 09:32 AM
This is interesting. You know that picture of the guy in the cowboy hat helping race someone in a wheel chair to medical (some of which are not cropped and clearly show him to be legless). The guy had looked one of the bombers in the face when he dropped the bag and when he came to in the hospital gave the police a description which helped them know who they were looking for.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-19/boston-bombing-victim-in-iconic-photo-helped-identify-attackers.html

Napoleon
04-19-13, 09:36 AM
My guess is that it was the person who was car jacked - trying to make sure he wasn't involved.

Plus he probably had crapped his pants!

TKGAngel
04-19-13, 09:41 AM
Updated info, original post no longer valid.

NismoZ
04-19-13, 09:48 AM
Ages 26 and 19. (Djohar)... Has been here TEN years? From Russia, Dad says he is SO smart, a 2nd year med student and hoped he'd be coming home soon. (AP) One story said he drove OVER his dead brother's body after the shootout when making his getaway. Probably has a bomb vest, not planning to be taken alive. His brother died as a result of multiple gunshots AND an explosion.(His vest?) Talk turning to questions about how he/they became so "radicalized"...been HERE for 10 years! Home-grown terrorists, then? Be very interesting to interview a few of his teachers! Muslim, Jihadist references on FB...go figure.