PDA

View Full Version : Indy is back at Pocono

Trevor Longman
04-11-13, 10:40 PM
I was one of the couple hundred that attended the free Indycar tire test at Pocono yesterday to preview the race in July. I wanted to see if it will be worth my money to go but mostly its April and I don't live in Florida so I'm a little starved for racing. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, it was my first time seeing racing on an oval since 2003 when I went to the EARL race at Nazareth and asked my dad if I could throw my soda can at Tony George. :laugh: Before that my only other oval experience was with my dad at Michigan in 2000-2001 and the CART races at Nazareth. Better days.

Anyway I have to say I had a good time. Sure its not 240mph and yes the cars give me a headache to look at, but 220 is still damn quick. Sitting outside turn 3 watching them track out to the wall is enough to give me just the slightest flashbacks to watching Reynards do the same at Michigan all those years ago. If nothing else yesterday was a nice opportunity to get a peek behind the curtain at the less glamorous side of the sport for a day.

I attached one of my favorite pics from the day. Be warned though, prolonged viewing without proper eye protection can cause loss of vision or blindness. :p

G.
04-11-13, 10:57 PM
That's how they get ya. They show you something that almost looks like racing, just when your expectations couldn't be any lower, and BAM! Gomer.

:gomer:

(glad you enjoyed it)

chop456
04-12-13, 01:45 AM
I was one of the couple hundred that attended the free Indycar tire test at Pocono yesterday to preview the race in July.

Just be prepared for a tenfold increase in the crowd come race day.

Napoleon
04-12-13, 06:11 AM
Seriously, they are going to race at Pocano this year? The last time I was at that track (admittedly at least 10 years ago) the surface was terrible and the facility really had a run down feel to it.

RTKar
04-12-13, 06:48 AM
Banana Boat sponsorship, with the operative word being "Boat".

The rear end of those cars are hideous.

SteveH
04-12-13, 09:17 AM
Just be prepared for a tenfold increase in the crowd come race day.

ever the optimist

Trevor Longman
04-12-13, 12:13 PM
Seriously, they are going to race at Pocano this year? The last time I was at that track (admittedly at least 10 years ago) the surface was terrible and the facility really had a run down feel to it.

They resurfaced the place and put fences all the way around last year but the run down feel still remains. The whole place feels like it stopped developing after 1985.

Napoleon
04-12-13, 01:58 PM
The whole place feels like it stopped developing after 1985.

To put that in perspective that was the year of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/45/Party_All_the_Time.jpg

nissan gtp
04-12-13, 09:35 PM
They resurfaced the place and put fences all the way around last year but the run down feel still remains. The whole place feels like it stopped developing after 1985.

ya know, with the sad state of "modern" tracks, that's not all bad

chop456
04-13-13, 04:30 PM
To put that in perspective that was the year of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/45/Party_All_the_Time.jpg

Was the B side "Boogie in Your Butt"?

"Put a dinosaur bone..."

Chief
04-14-13, 09:59 AM
LOL, I forgot about that one, chop! :laugh:

Mary
04-19-13, 02:53 PM
I attached one of my favorite pics from the day. Be warned though, prolonged viewing without proper eye protection can cause loss of vision or blindness. :p

Gosh, those cars are ugly.

Mary:shakehead:cry::rolleyes: