dando
04-08-13, 08:46 AM
http://news.sky.com/story/1075292/margaret-thatcher-dies-after-stroke

You were a good friend and ally for the USA. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Gnam
04-08-13, 10:57 AM
Annette Funicello too. She was just 70.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Annette-Funicello-died-at-age-70-4418036.php

The Iron Lady and a Mouseketeer on the same day. What are the odds?

Napoleon
04-08-13, 01:18 PM
I am more upset about the loss of Annette Funicello today.

datachicane
04-08-13, 02:32 PM
Hmmm, I've never seen a picture of the two of them together...

Nah, surely not. Impossible. Well, fairly unlikely, anyway.

Napoleon
04-08-13, 03:55 PM
Hmmm, I've never seen a picture of the two of them together...

Maybe “their” nickname should be the Iron Mousekateer.

gerhard911
04-08-13, 07:53 PM
SfhxJiE38sE

nrc
04-09-13, 02:29 PM
RIP, Iron Lady.

Andrew Longman
04-09-13, 07:08 PM
I am more upset about the loss of Annette Funicello today.Maggie did a lot to make the Reagan presidency successful and she did a lot to give the UK its bearings at a time when its empire was in shambles.

And she came from a tough place in her childhood to acheive real grace and greatness.

But to be candid, there is a lot she (and Reagan) did we are still sorting out.

Annette, in he end, may have actually had more of a lasting and important impact on our culture and society -- not that is necessarily good.

nrc
04-09-13, 11:24 PM
That's just silly.

TrueBrit
04-16-13, 10:24 AM
Of the dead say nothing but good. Margaret Thatcher is dead. Good.

I lived through her reign of error and a more arrogant, cold-hearted, elitist prig would be hard to find. She destroyed entire towns and industries and ruined tens of thousands of lives. She called the working poor the "enemy within" she favoured dictators, called Nelson Mandela a terrorist and supported apartheid. Spare me the revisionist bulls****..

Margaret Thatcher is dead but Thatcherism lives on, and that is NOT a good thing.

Napoleon
04-16-13, 10:54 AM
True Brit. it tells you something that "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" from the Wizard of Oz climbed to number 2 in the British charts since her death.

TrueBrit
04-16-13, 12:43 PM
True Brit. it tells you something that "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" from the Wizard of Oz climbed to number 2 in the British charts since her death.

Yes it does..:D :rofl: :laugh: :thumbup:

Andrew Longman
04-16-13, 09:11 PM
Yes it does..:D :rofl: :laugh: :thumbup:As I said, we are still sorting out a lot of what she and Ronney did. And it is now harder because their backers use their death as trump.

My European friends are quick to point out that Reagan may have said, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" , it was Gorbachev who in fact tore down the wall. ;)

So Annette who helped inspire an entire generation to embrace a self absorbed, fun loving, California, beach centered, sex fueled, 60s lifestyle may have actually had more influence. Or not. Just something to think about.

nrc
04-17-13, 01:51 AM
You guys are bending the rules pretty substantially here so I'm not going to make matters worse by responding to specifics.

But I will say this and be done. I've had strong convictions all my life, but I don't think I've ever felt it necessary to demonize a freely elected official to the extent where I would feel justified in celebrating their death. I think that's sad. I also think it says more about those celebrating than it does about Thatcher or her policies.

chop456
04-17-13, 02:52 AM
I don't think I've ever felt it necessary to demonize a freely elected official to the extent where I would feel justified in celebrating their death. I think that's sad. I also think it says more about those celebrating than it does about Thatcher or her policies.

Well said.

FWIW, she was re-elected twice. ;)

Andrew Longman
04-17-13, 08:46 AM
Well said.

FWIW, she was re-elected twice. ;)

True.

But a freely electing public benefits from knowing when they make a mistake.

And some folks hero worshop to the point of failing to acknowledge that the dead could have possibly done anything wrong.

It is not in the least bit controversail to assert that Maggie or Ronnie(or any other leader) might havr done a few things absolutely wrong

chop456
04-17-13, 09:05 AM
I draw a distinction between saying someone did something wrong and jubilantly celebrating their death.

KLang
04-17-13, 09:20 AM
But a freely electing public benefits from knowing when they make a mistake.

And you feel qualified to judge the majority of British voters to have been in error? :laugh:

datachicane
04-17-13, 10:25 AM
And you feel qualified to judge the majority of British voters to have been in error? :laugh:

Her own party certainly felt qualified. :saywhat:

Andrew Longman
04-17-13, 04:59 PM
And you feel qualified to judge the majority of British voters to have been in error? :laugh:Not what I said.

I said the British people benefit when they realize they made a mistake. A lot of them have regarding Maggie. That's how Tony Blair got elected for example (which many also think was a mistake) ;)

nrc
04-17-13, 05:24 PM
Ok, I don't think we need to go any further with this.