PDA

View Full Version : Why does Dallara have to tease us?

Trevor Longman
04-06-13, 07:07 PM
Can someone explain to me why this is not the current Indycar? Dallara could've just called this the Dan Wheldon Tribute Mobile and all the homers of Marion county would be perfectly happy. At least then we wouldn't be enduring the rolling dumpster fire they blessed us all with instead.

Behold the Formula Renault 3.5 car. Certainly the prettiest open wheel car in the world today. No stupid snowplow front wings and skinny rear wings like in FIA series, no lunchboxes and sidepod humps like the aforementioned Dallaradart 2.0. Only sleek, sexy bodywork. And it doesn't sound half bad either! :cool:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6blFHBIbQ_E

Opposite Lock
04-06-13, 08:24 PM
That was the best engine sound that I've heard in years.

6blFHBIbQ_E

Not digging the airbox intake, though.

Still, light years better than anything Earl has EVER put on a track.

Elmo T
04-06-13, 09:35 PM
:shakehead'cause Dallara is not the problem.

SteveH
04-06-13, 10:08 PM

egsactly :tony:

Trevor Longman
04-06-13, 10:22 PM
Oh yeah, and one last thing, these cars go for roughly half the price of a DW12. Puts things in perspective. :shakehead

stroker
04-07-13, 12:42 AM
WTF is that "pop" at the gear changes in the audio?

G.
04-07-13, 01:35 AM
WTF is that "pop" at the gear changes in the audio?

Sound barrier.

Chief
04-07-13, 02:17 AM
http://www.trackforum.com/images/T13/hinchpaper.JPG

Gnam
04-07-13, 11:30 AM
Great sound. Would love to hear them at Road America or down the back straight at Long Beach. Too bad Indycar has other visions.

SteveH
04-07-13, 12:05 PM
http://www.trackforum.com/images/T13/hinchpaper.JPG

Your grandson make those, Chief?

mapguy
04-07-13, 06:40 PM
Your grandson make those, Chief?

His grandson was a draft-dodger?

Dvdb
04-07-13, 10:19 PM
1had the same question about the "pop" at the gear change.

cameraman
04-07-13, 10:40 PM
Sounds like some kind of an odd backfire.

Indy
04-08-13, 12:31 AM
Clearly a proper race car. It makes me think I would give my left arm to drive one. And I haven't thought that about an "Indy Car" since the Lola was retired. Thanks, Tony, you ****ing ****. Why don't you and your family do the world a favor and remove yourselves from the gene pool. :mad:

Indy
04-08-13, 12:33 AM

I actually respect Dallara. They are a capable company, and they are smart enough to steal the Hulman-Georges blind. :thumbup:

FCYTravis
04-08-13, 01:49 AM
Using common equipment would make too much sense. Also, it would potentially reduce spares costs. Both of those outcomes must be avoided.

Elmo T
04-08-13, 08:10 AM
1had the same question about the "pop" at the gear change.

As I recall, you heard the same thing with the CART/Champcar? I will have to pull out my Exhaust Notes CD. I don't remember it as much from M-O, but I remember Nazareth and there was always that loud pop at up-shift.

Perhaps it has been too long since we've heard a proper race car sound. :rolleyes:

KLang
04-08-13, 10:47 AM
CART/Champcar cars made that same sound. The hill going up from turn 5 at RA for example.

Chief
04-08-13, 11:00 AM
As I recall, you heard the same thing with the CART/Champcar? I will have to pull out my Exhaust Notes CD. I don't remember it as much from M-O, but I remember Nazareth and there was always that loud pop at up-shift.

Loved sitting in the grass inside T3 (T4 if you counting the dogleg) as they came off the back straight at Naz. Downshifting and then upshifts...those pops you speak of etched in my memory. :thumbup:

Elmo T
04-08-13, 12:46 PM
Loved sitting in the grass inside T3 (T4 if you counting the dogleg) as they came off the back straight at Naz. Downshifting and then upshifts...those pops you speak of etched in my memory. :thumbup:

Yup - I was picturing where I'd hear them. Same spot - just past the start finish as they worked they way towards the back.

As ovals go, one I truly miss.

Easy
04-08-13, 01:16 PM
The pop you hear is a backfire caused by the "no lift shift" software.

Andrew Longman
04-08-13, 01:44 PM
The pop you hear is a backfire caused by the "no lift shift" software.On the old turbo champ cars I understood it was excess fuel in the waste gate burning off -- a different type of backfire.

Yes Nazareth was a great oval. The fact that so many wanker drivers hated it was proof enough for me.

I suspect Indycar is not using the F Renault spec because a) the Georgetown and 16th brain trust feel they need something deserving of their history and traditions, b) they insist it be "oval ready" and c) they think the mirrors will never work. ;)

G.
04-08-13, 08:56 PM
On the old turbo champ cars I understood it was excess fuel in the waste gate burning off -- a different type of backfire.

Yep.

I also remember it being sort of a directional sound, ie., if you were up high you might not hear it. For example, at the straight at LB, you could hear it from the street, but not really from the stands.

I swear I wasn't drunk. :) I might be wrong, but I wasn't drunk. :gomer:

******* memories, man.

Easy
04-09-13, 02:25 PM
On the old turbo champ cars I understood it was excess fuel in the waste gate burning off -- a different type of backfire.

Yes, I was just referring to the WSR car. The pop on the CART machines was more pronounced as well I think.

Until the Panoz, was there even a "true" no lift shift program in the CART ECUs or were they really just banging up through the gears? The carbon tub Barber Dodge Pro cars had a 6 speed sequential that IIRC you could upshift with maybe 10% lift and it did not have a no lift program in the ECU. Just a little pressure with your middle and ring fingers and it would almost complete the upshift by itself.

Andrew Longman
04-09-13, 07:03 PM
IIRC the champ cars had true no lifr/no clutch up and down shifting for a lot of year. I don't recall exactly when they ditched the H pattern shifter but it was late 90s/early 2000s at least.

Easy
04-09-13, 11:27 PM
I think the H pattern was gone by the early 90s but the sequential was still a fully manual gearbox. They had to heel and toe the sequential box. Theres a split screen video of Hiro's feet and gear lever on youtube somewhere.

The no (or slight) lift up shifts were doable thanks to dog rings and massive budgets of the era. Hell you can no lift upshift a 4 speed H pattern FF2000 box if you have the money for rebuilds and consider gears consumable items.

Rogue Leader
04-10-13, 08:55 AM
The Barber Dodge (now Barber Mazda) school/race cars have sequentials that all you do is pull on the lever and then give it a light lift (say 10-20% off) and it will pop right in. In fact they even tell you to "preload" the shifter to shift faster. I would assume they aren't eating transmissions if they are telling people to do that.

NismoZ
04-10-13, 04:40 PM
RA, 1973, out of T-3 and up through the gears to 190+, under the bridge to 5, Mark Donohue, Penske Panzer 917-30...and there were no "pops"...it was more of a POW!! None of the "CH ch ch chirping" like the 962s later...it was more like a friggin' aerial bomb! I was impressed.:)

NismoZ
04-10-13, 04:47 PM
So, has anyone here driven one of those rev-synced paddle shifter 370Zs? I flunked heel-and-toe school...might have to get one!:)

nissan gtp
04-10-13, 04:56 PM
Saw a Nissan R90CK at Road America some years back. Aside from being very fast, it had a prominent wastegate chirp. Shifted 3 times from 5 up to the top of the hill. Very cool.

FCYTravis
04-10-13, 05:56 PM
The wastegate chirp on the AAR/Toyota Eagles was hellacious. Of course, those little four-bangers were boosted to something obscene like 60 psi, right? :saywhat: