PDA

View Full Version : New camera time (on the cheap)

TravelGal
03-30-13, 03:17 PM
Local shop is giving "cash for camera equipment" next weekend. TravelGuy is using a 13 y/o Sony. Best of its kind when we got it but now the resolution is absolutely unacceptable. So, my dear gurus, what can I buy for him? I figure I'll get about $20 for above mentioned hardware so I'm looking in the $200 range. Less if possible. Merci much.

dando
03-30-13, 04:42 PM
Local shop is giving "cash for camera equipment" next weekend. TravelGuy is using a 13 y/o Sony. Best of its kind when we got it but now the resolution is absolutely unacceptable. So, my dear gurus, what can I buy for him? I figure I'll get about $20 for above mentioned hardware so I'm looking in the $200 range. Less if possible. Merci much.

Assuming you are looking for a point and shoot, Canon or Nikon. Just go to Amazon and look for the best ratings. I've several of both (mainly because the second drops them :saywhat:), but they are both quite good.

$ony sucks due to proprietary hardware/memory sticks.

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-30-13, 05:58 PM
I'd just add if you are keeping the camera a long time, it's nice to use standard AA batteries so you're not buying low quality cheapo replacements or paying half the cost of the camera for a manufacturer replacement when they stop using the battery in current models.

TravelGal
03-30-13, 06:46 PM
I'd just add if you are keeping the camera a long time, it's nice to use standard AA batteries so you're not buying low quality cheapo replacements or paying half the cost of the camera for a manufacturer replacement when they stop using the battery in current models.

I still prefer rechargeable batteries. AA's and others of that type drain so quickly in the tropics. I like to have one in the camera and the other charging in the hotel, if possible. I bought 3 batteries for the Sony and never bought another so it hasn't been an issue. Same with (my) current Canon G9. I suppose I should upgrade mine and give him the G9 but I can't quite let loose of that much $$ at the moment.

TravelGal
03-30-13, 06:52 PM
Assuming you are looking for a point and shoot, Canon or Nikon. Just go to Amazon and look for the best ratings.
-Kevin

I did and found: Canon PowerShot SX260 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 20x Image Stabilized Zoom 25mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p.

or

Nikon COOLPIX AW100 16 MP CMOS Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS and Full HD 1080p Video (Orange)

So, yo, let's start the Nikon vs. Canon debate. :D

Insomniac
03-30-13, 11:15 PM
I still prefer rechargeable batteries. AA's and others of that type drain so quickly in the tropics. I like to have one in the camera and the other charging in the hotel, if possible. I bought 3 batteries for the Sony and never bought another so it hasn't been an issue. Same with (my) current Canon G9. I suppose I should upgrade mine and give him the G9 but I can't quite let loose of that much $$ at the moment.

I did mean you would use AA rechargeables. :) They will always cost a couple bucks. In a pinch you can put in alkalines.

Insomniac
03-30-13, 11:28 PM
I did and found: Canon PowerShot SX260 HS 12.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 20x Image Stabilized Zoom 25mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p.

or

Nikon COOLPIX AW100 16 MP CMOS Waterproof Digital Camera with GPS and Full HD 1080p Video (Orange)

So, yo, let's start the Nikon vs. Canon debate. :D

Watch out on zoom, you want to look at the optical value. They will sometimes combine the two, but digital zoom will generally lower picture quality.

http://www.photoxels.com/digital-photography-tutorials/optical-digital-zoom/

I saw a couple other Canons:

14.1 Megapixel Powershot SX150 IS
Canon PowerShot A4000IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom 28mm Wide-Angle Lens with 720p HD Video Recording and 3.0-Inch LCD
Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS 16.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom 24mm Wide-Angle Lens and 1080p Full HD Video Recording

cameraman
03-30-13, 11:48 PM
I've got a Canon EOS-3 that I might be talked into selling if you don't mind film...

TravelGal
03-31-13, 12:41 AM
I did mean you would use AA rechargeables. :) They will always cost a couple bucks. In a pinch you can put in alkalines.

Never even occurred to me that they use them for cameras. The problem is carrying the extra alkalines and by the time I needed them, they'd be dead too. Never underestimate the power of heat and humidity.

I'll be looking up those choices tomorrow. Thanks!

I've got a Canon EOS-3 that I might be talked into selling if you don't mind film...

:D Thanks for the offer. Long gone are my days of shlepping bags of film. And paying for the developing. I'm not that much of a photog purest. I have a friend who is though.

dando
03-31-13, 06:43 AM
Never even occurred to me that they use them for cameras. The problem is carrying the extra alkalines and by the time I needed them, they'd be dead too. Never underestimate the power of heat and humidity.

I'll be looking up those choices tomorrow. Thanks!

:D Thanks for the offer. Long gone are my days of shlepping bags of film. And paying for the developing. I'm not that much of a photog purest. I have a friend who is though.

Back in my caveman days of HS and college I developed my own film and prints, and wanted to have a dark room in my homizzle. Digitals cameras came along and so went that dream. Serious Ansel Adams fan here. :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
03-31-13, 06:44 AM
A site I have used to compare digi cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-31-13, 12:38 PM

I've taken ~450 pictures on one set of batteries on my older Canon 6 MP camera. I've never gone through two pairs in 1 day. I also have a lot of other things that use AA batteries around the house too. These Sanyo Eneloop batteries are amazing. I don't find them dead on my rarely used Wii when I want to use it. :) But to be honest, your method works as well. Buying the batteries now avoids the gouging later.

Indy
03-31-13, 01:56 PM
Are you ready for a phone upgrade? I shoot with a Nikon D5100 but end up taking more photos with my iPhone and a good photo app. The best camera is the one you have in your hand, and today's smartphones are really, really good.

TravelGal
03-31-13, 02:44 PM
Back in my caveman days of HS and college I developed my own film and prints, and wanted to have a dark room in my homizzle. Digitals cameras came along and so went that dream. Serious Ansel Adams fan here. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Yeah, I had dark room in my first apartment also. Sometimes we called the kitchen. :laugh:

A site I have used to compare digi cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/

-Kevin

Ah, forgot about that! Will hover over their entries for a while today.

Are you ready for a phone upgrade? I shoot with a Nikon D5100 but end up taking more photos with my iPhone and a good photo app. The best camera is the one you have in your hand, and today's smartphones are really, really good.

That had passed through my mind. It's a good option. Poor TravelGuy, he gets my castoff electronics. And, as you can tell, by the time I am ready to give it up, it has pretty much given up (the ghost) also. All this is to say that TGuy has cell phone that is so old they don't make batteries for it any more so he sure wouldn't mind getting the one I have now. The camera in it is 10x better than the ancient Sony and I would get a decent phone at last. Win-win. :D ;)

dando
03-31-13, 04:01 PM

Yes they are. They have improved optics, 8MP in many cases, etc. My point and shoot of choice is my GS2. Noting that some idiot I know (looks in mirror) recently purchased a Canon A2400IS that has barely seen the light of day. :saywhat: Nice piece, but the smartphone (easy sharing) and EOS are my glass of choice these days.

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-31-13, 05:56 PM
I would've suggested a phone, but almost everyone I know has a second (or third) camera even with an iPhone 5 or S3. They all say the lack of zoom and poor low light/indoor performance necessitates having another camera.

Indy
04-01-13, 12:39 PM
I would've suggested a phone, but almost everyone I know has a second (or third) camera even with an iPhone 5 or S3. They all say the lack of zoom and poor low light/indoor performance necessitates having another camera.

True, he might want another camera of some sort. But if he has been getting along with an ancient Sony, then a smartphone would be an upgrade. I am sort of a throwback who abstains from zoom lenses, but if he loves to zoom, then you are right, he will need a camera.

Personally, I would get one of those $800 1960's rangefinder looking things. :gomer:

dando
04-04-13, 12:53 PM
Recent deal I saw on a well reviewed Digi:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+ELPH+520+HS+10.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/4810843.p?id=1218532171799&skuId=4810843&cmp=RMX&ky=2osewwzdCrbzQ1GSkGq8l2Pqc8Sa8YrUW&AID=10597222&PID=227502&SID=F012A00A0AC54A00343597C39A01A0A0&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2FCanon%2B-%2BPowerShot%2BELPH%2B520%2BHS%2B10.1-Megapixel%2BDigital%2BCamera%2B-%2BBlack%2F4810843.p%3Fid%3D1218532171799%26skuId% 3D4810843%26cmp%3DRMX%26ky%3D2osewwzdCrbzQ1GSkGq8l 2Pqc8Sa8YrUW&ref=39&CJPID=227502&loc=01

-Kevin

TravelGal
04-04-13, 01:03 PM
Yowzers! That's a deal. We'll head to best buy this weekend to see how TravelGuy likes it and how it feels in his hand. I hope it's still on sale by Saturday!

dando
04-04-13, 04:30 PM
Yowzers! That's a deal. We'll head to best buy this weekend to see how TravelGuy likes it and how it feels in his hand. I hope it's still on sale by Saturday!

I would just order one and take it back if you don't like it. I've never run across a Canon digi I didn't like (and I have experience with $ony and Nikon point and shoots as well). This has IS and is 10mp, which is more than enough. Anythung more than that is a waste of pixels.

-Kevin

TravelGal
04-06-13, 06:04 PM
I saw a couple other Canons:

Canon PowerShot A4000IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom 28mm Wide-Angle Lens with 720p HD Video Recording and 3.0-Inch LCD

Recent deal I saw on a well reviewed Digi:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+-+PowerShot+ELPH+520+HS+10.1-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Black/4810843.p?id=1218532171799&skuId=4810843&cmp=RMX&ky=2osewwzdCrbzQ1GSkGq8l2Pqc8Sa8YrUW&AID=10597222&PID=227502&SID=F012A00A0AC54A00343597C39A01A0A0&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2FCanon%2B-%2BPowerShot%2BELPH%2B520%2BHS%2B10.1-Megapixel%2BDigital%2BCamera%2B-%2BBlack%2F4810843.p%3Fid%3D1218532171799%26skuId% 3D4810843%26cmp%3DRMX%26ky%3D2osewwzdCrbzQ1GSkGq8l 2Pqc8Sa8YrUW&ref=39&CJPID=227502&loc=01

-Kevin

And the final answer is: Door #1, above. Canon PowerShot A4000IS 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 8x Optical Image

The PowerShot ELPH was still on sale at the local Best Buy. Clearly a better machine. List $279, sale $138. Best value dollar for dollar. BUT the controls and buttons were so small, I was using the end of my fingernail to press them. Not a TravelGuy-type item.

The PowerShot A4000IS had controls easier for Travel Guy to operate. List $179, sale $109. Screen not as good but picture quality will be quite similar and light years ahead of what he has now. Bonus: the buttons are similar to my G9 so he'll be better able to use my camera if he needs to. Right now, it's a total mystery to him.

Thanks to OC, I felt quite comfortable wading into the morass of options in the store. :thumbup:

dando
04-07-13, 10:12 AM
Glad to see that found one you like. The controls on all the point-and-shoot cameras keep getting smaller and as they shrink the camera size. :saywhat: I primarily use my phone now despite having a DSLR and the pointy I mentioned earlier. My next advice is to make sure you have a fast SD card (class 10) with 16 or 32GB of storage. SD cards are very cheap these days.

http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=152/form_keyword=16GB%2Bsecure%2Bdigital%2Bcard/rd=1/rd_type=P

-Kevin

TravelGal
04-07-13, 01:03 PM
Kev: Yeah, we bought the #1 on that list along with the camera. Wouldn't walk out of the store with enough stuff to make the camera work. (Battery included; charger comes in the box.) Paid $4 more than the link shows but no shipping or whatever else might have been tacked on. I hope to find time some time to day to see if the thing actually works or not. ;)

I agree about the controls getting smaller and smaller. I'm pretty sure that this model is being phased out. One of the reasons for the big discount. It was clearly not the newest. It was pretty far down the line, even in Best Buy! It's a fine first update in 12 years for TGuy. He's jazzed just to have a view screen larger than 1 1/2".