PDA

View Full Version : Sweet justice...

dando
03-14-13, 08:06 AM
http://www.jobsnhire.com/articles/3771/20130313/maryland-woman-ticketed-driving-under-speed-limit.htm

Watch out law-abiding citizens, you may be liable to get a ticket the next time you drive slightly under the speed limit.
In a news story that seems like something straight out of The Onion, a woman was arrested for driving too slowly in the left lane of I-95 in Maryland. She was clocked going a reasonable 63 miles per hour on a highway with a 65 mile per hour speed limit.
"You can drive in the left lane in Maryland as long as you are doing the speed limit, or not impeding by going 10 mph under the speed limit," says retired Sgt. Rob Moroney.

Note my sig to the left. NASCAR pack driving in oHIo is epic/epidemic. :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-14-13, 12:56 PM
In Colorado the statutes classify her driving as "aggressive", and it can be a pretty hefty fine. Unfortunately I think it has never been enforced.

Andrew Longman
03-14-13, 04:16 PM
Law abiding?

It is pretty clear in all states I know of that you are to stay out of the left lane unless you are passing.

She was breaking existing law. Simple.

cameraman
03-14-13, 05:29 PM
You do 65 in the left lane of I-15 in Utah and you are a chicane. Standard pack speed is usually 75-80...

She should get pulled over. Though I must admit that it annoys me to have to pull over when I'm doing 85 and some assclown comes flying up behind me at 95:irked:

Gnam
03-14-13, 06:05 PM
Maybe not a ticket, but definately worth a five minute stop-and-go penalty to let her think about what she's done. ;)

Andrew Longman
03-14-13, 10:28 PM
I was just driving home from Philly airport on I95. I was in the right hand lane doing 85 and getting passed

Insomniac
03-15-13, 02:08 PM
http://www.jobsnhire.com/articles/3771/20130313/maryland-woman-ticketed-driving-under-speed-limit.htm

Note my sig to the left. NASCAR pack driving in oHIo is epic/epidemic. :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

I don't get it. So the left lane is for 65 MPH only? I mean, they do give tickets for 66 MPH, right?

cameraman
03-15-13, 03:26 PM
Well the posted limit on I-15 is 80mph in places

Don Quixote
03-15-13, 04:38 PM
I don't get it. So the left lane is for 65 MPH only? I mean, they do give tickets for 66 MPH, right?My son who is a cop tells me that more accidents are caused by slower drivers in the left lane than by speeders. (no link) :D

Insomniac
03-15-13, 04:55 PM
Well the posted limit on I-15 is 80mph in places

75 here. What bugs me now is gearing on automatics is for 55-60 and so are all the EPA ratings for mileage. My Dad bought a new car, but without a stick, his MPG isn't nearly as good with the high speeds.

cameraman
03-15-13, 05:15 PM
75 here. What bugs me now is gearing on automatics is for 55-60 and so are all the EPA ratings for mileage. My Dad bought a new car, but without a stick, his MPG isn't nearly as good with the high speeds.

Well what bugs me are long grades where my Subie can't maintain 75-85 mph in 5th gear, period. I'm not at all a fan of running my 1995 Subie at 5000 rpm for any length of time :irked:

dando
03-15-13, 05:44 PM
I don't get it. So the left lane is for 65 MPH only? I mean, they do give tickets for 66 MPH, right?

In oHIo, idiots are allowed to drive in the left lane all day if they want. :saywhat: The packs are just NASCAR on the highways. :irked: And when oHIo drivers get loose into PA, they continue to drive in the left lane despite signs instructing fast left, slow right. :mad: Might just be certain PA fire dudes driving mini vans, tho. (looks @ Elmo) :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-15-13, 06:36 PM
In oHIo, idiots are allowed to drive in the left lane all day if they want. :saywhat: The packs are just NASCAR on the highways. :irked: And when oHIo drivers get loose into PA, they continue to drive in the left lane despite signs instructing fast left, slow right. :mad: Might just be certain PA fire dudes driving mini vans, tho. (looks @ Elmo) :gomer:

-Kevin

I guess what I meant was if the limit was 65 and she was going 63, he gave her a ticket for going 2 MPH too slow, right? Isn't that basically margin of error on the speedometer/normal speed fluctuation? He wasn't saying she should've been going faster than 65, right? (I know most people exceed it, but it's still illegal from the police's standpoint.)

Indy
03-16-13, 11:00 AM
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”
- George Carlin

I drive slowly most of the time. If there is no hurry, then there is no need to speed. I can use the extra money I save in gas more than the extra few minutes I waste anyway before my appointment or whatever.

That being said, I stay to the right. Left lane bandits are not as bad in Indiana as they are in Ohio, but they are bad enough to be a major safety hazard. I guess freedumb in 'Murca means never having to become educated about the rules of traffic and general courtesy. :rolleyes:

nrc
03-16-13, 12:13 PM
I guess what I meant was if the limit was 65 and she was going 63, he gave her a ticket for going 2 MPH too slow, right? Isn't that basically margin of error on the speedometer/normal speed fluctuation? He wasn't saying she should've been going faster than 65, right? (I know most people exceed it, but it's still illegal from the police's standpoint.)

No, he probably gave her a ticket for failure to keep right. Most states have an law that says that you must keep right unless you're passing. Some states make an exception if you're going the speed limit. I guess Maryland is one of those so he noted that she wasn't doing the speed limit.

Impeding the flow of traffic creates jams and pile on stupidity that probably creates more accidents than some traffic violations that are enforce much more rigorously. Unfortunately "left lane bandit" cameras to crank out revenue would be tough to implement. :shakehead

Insomniac
03-16-13, 12:52 PM
No, he probably gave her a ticket for failure to keep right. Most states have an law that says that you must keep right unless you're passing. Some states make an exception if you're going the speed limit. I guess Maryland is one of those so he noted that she wasn't doing the speed limit.

Impeding the flow of traffic creates jams and pile on stupidity that probably creates more accidents than some traffic violations that are enforce much more rigorously. Unfortunately "left lane bandit" cameras to crank out revenue would be tough to implement. :shakehead

Ohhh, that makes more sense. :)