PDA

View Full Version : TSA is on crack...

dando
03-14-13, 07:49 AM
<RANT>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/tsas-new-rules-on-knives-are-safe-and-reasonable/2013/03/12/88e7b01c-8a90-11e2-a051-6810d606108d_story.html

Allowing knives of some sizes. :saywhat: :shakehead

When we flew for the first time after 9/11 when Carolanne was not quite 1, a family of 3, we got the full treatment in the Savannah, GA airport. The only thing missing was a rubber glove. :irked:

When we flew to SoCal in June, I bought an iced tea from the Starbucks near the gate, which was vapor tested before I boarded the plane in CMH. :saywhat: This was in late June, mind you. It didn't become an issue to the national media until late August....and they mentioned CMH directly. :shakehead We were denied taking sealed Cap Suns onto the flights to and from unless they tested them. :mad: Flying with girls 6 & 9 across country (one my own on the way back, BTW). You just want to make sure you something handy for them to drink and snack as needed. Had to toss those and buy new drinks near the gate.

I guess it could be worse like the machine gun toting guards in Bangalore, India or the full body cavity searches in Frankfurt (where they permit smoking in the terminal). :saywhat: :flame:

Elmo, I can only imagine what Erin will experience if she has to fly to Izzy.
</RANT>

-Kevin

Elmo T
03-14-13, 08:02 AM
Happily, the Israel trips are on hold for the time being. :thumbup:

dando
03-14-13, 08:17 AM
Happily, the Israel trips are on hold for the time being. :thumbup:

I hope for your sake it stays that way. Now if I could just send the Mrs. there... :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

TravelGal
03-14-13, 08:54 AM
Just to poke the boil, the rant is both that they are absurdly strict and that they are loosening up?
//runs

dando
03-14-13, 09:20 AM
Just to poke the boil, the rant is both that they are absurdly strict and that they are loosening up?
//runs

TG, it's just senseless, IMO. Vapor test an iced tea in a Starbucks cup, but allow knives on flights? Just nuts. Thoughts? I don't fly a lot these days, but have flown 5-6 times the past couple of years, and the experience has varied greatly. :saywhat:

-Kevin

TravelGal
03-14-13, 10:09 AM
I don't see it as an either/or. You had me at "it's senseless." Vapor testing iced tea? C'mon. Seems like the CMH people have had a few too many stimulants in their Starbucks already. Allowing all those guys (and gals) to carry their small knives. A ray of hope.

cameraman
03-14-13, 05:21 PM
The airline industry mindset prior to 2001 what to not resist during a hijack attempt. It didn't matter what they were armed with you complied and the plane landed somewhere and then they negotiated. Every previous hijacker had tried to survive so risking a battle in the cabin at 35,000 feet wasn't worth it. The kamikaze 9/11 crew actually took advantage of that industry-wide response.

Do you really think that the people on a plane today would sit idly by while someone tried to hijack a plane with a knife? Hell and No.

Anyone with any common sense knows that no one would be able to take over a plane today with a pen knife. Unfortunately there is no organization on the planet with less common sense than the TSA:shakehead

Gnam
03-14-13, 06:24 PM
I would say it was good first step, but there's a long way to go.
Maybe they could stop x-raying my shoes?

Insomniac
03-15-13, 02:03 PM
I don't get the outrage. They've allowed scissors with blades less than 4" for a long time. If anything, it's stupid they haven't allowed them up to this point.

TravelGal
03-16-13, 12:54 AM
I would say it was good first step, but there's a long way to go.
Maybe they could stop x-raying my shoes?

You could get a Trusted Traveler card. Global Entry. I hear they are now scheduling the interviews up to the 12th of Never.

Nevertheless, I'm applying as soon as I can figure out which foreign countries I've been in during the last five years.

dando
03-16-13, 08:49 PM
I don't get the outrage. They've allowed scissors with blades less than 4" for a long time. If anything, it's stupid they haven't allowed them up to this point.

The outrage is the shifting sands of the rules. Vapor testing drinks bought just outside the gate in a clear *$s cup? Full-body scanners that are now being pulled, etc. It's just maddening to keep up with the new rules every other week. Knives to be allowed when box cutters were the weapon of choice (other than the planes, of course), which larger than box cutters. Sorry, inconsistent. :saywhat: One step forward, two steps back, IMO.

-Kevin

Dvdb
03-16-13, 11:39 PM
My best friend for 35 years is a "senior" CG officer. CG is now under Homeland Security. It's safe to say he is high level security clearance.

He get's flagged every time he flies.

TravelGal
03-17-13, 02:38 AM
The outrage is the shifting sands of the rules. Vapor testing drinks bought just outside the gate in a clear *$s cup? Full-body scanners that are now being pulled, etc. It's just maddening to keep up with the new rules every other week. Knives to be allowed when box cutters were the weapon of choice (other than the planes, of course), which larger than box cutters. Sorry, inconsistent. :saywhat: One step forward, two steps back, IMO.

-Kevin

Isn't the object to be inconsistent? I always thought so. Particularly from one airport to another. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds (look it up) and the deterrent to carefully crafted nefarious plans.

G.
03-17-13, 02:44 PM
My best friend for 35 years is a "senior" CG officer. CG is now under Homeland Security. It's safe to say he is high level security clearance.

He get's flagged every time he flies.

Might be that he listed his best friend as some guy in between all of the coasts. :gomer:

dando
03-17-13, 04:17 PM
Isn't the object to be inconsistent?

That be the Federal way. :rolleyes: :\ On a side note, when the 'rents flew (no boat this time) was when liquids restrictions happened. :saywhat: I like to travel, but I prefer 4 wheels I 'contro'l. :)

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-17-13, 05:15 PM
Isn't the object to be inconsistent? I always thought so. Particularly from one airport to another. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds (look it up) and the deterrent to carefully crafted nefarious plans.

I think we want inconsistent on purpose. :)

nrc
03-17-13, 05:27 PM
Anyone with any common sense knows that no one would be able to take over a plane today with a pen knife. Unfortunately there is no organization on the planet with less common sense than the TSA:shakehead

That's the bottom line. You're not going to get access to the crew cabin with a pen knife. If someone goes berzerk with a pen knife in steerage then either an Air Marshal is going to put one between their eyes or the sheep had better master the art of karate in a hurry.

Ankf00
03-17-13, 09:24 PM
security theater

Elmo T
03-19-13, 12:40 PM
<blog> Good TSA story - a friend on our hazmat team took a training class in the midwest. The training was for a new piece of detection equipment that screens for biological hazards. The system used a methodology sort-of like a pregnancy test strip - with each strip individually packaged with the specific test labeled: SEB, Ricin, Anthrax, etc.

Last day was training exercise and then departure for the airport. He inadvertently left the class with a pocket full of test strips. He didn't remember until that "empty your pockets" part of the check.

Dumped all contents into the tray: wallet, keys, cellphone, and a handfull of white foil packets clearly marked with a who's who of biological nasties. No one said a word, no additional checks, not a second glance. :saywhat::thumdown: