PDA

View Full Version : NCAA tourney

Dvdb
03-13-13, 11:34 PM
Any interest in doing bracket contest again? This coming from the guy who doesn't follow it until early March, but we did have some fun with it last year.

cameraman
03-13-13, 11:40 PM
I'm always up for 63 random guesses:D

TravelGal
03-14-13, 12:47 AM
I'm always up for 63 random guesses:D

Ditto

dando
03-14-13, 07:53 AM
Dude, I'm in. I'm the resident expert in college hoops. I just pick everything opposite of Don Q. Money! :gomer: :D :p

-Kevin

Dvdb
03-14-13, 06:11 PM
I'll set it up on Poolhost this weekend.

Insomniac
03-15-13, 01:58 PM
I'm in as well. One year, my algorithms will work!

Gnam
03-15-13, 02:46 PM
I'll fill out my bracket the exact opposite of the way I filled out the one at work. I can't lose. :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
03-17-13, 12:02 AM
Dude, I'm in. I'm the resident expert in college hoops. I just pick everything opposite of Don Q. Money! :gomer: :D :p

-Kevin Hideeho dude, I'm back for a visit. You are a spatial Ed hoops picker :p I remember your picks form a few years ago. :gomer:

dando
03-17-13, 05:35 AM
Hideeho dude, I'm back for a visit. You are a spatial Ed hoops picker :p I remember your picks form a few years ago. :gomer:

All bets are off on this year's tourney. It's going to be a total crap shoot, IMO. Vitale earlier this week said there are 16 teams that could string together a 6-game run to win it all, which is what I was thinking before he opened his pie hole. Now I'm thinking it could 20 if not the entire top 25. UNC isn't even ranked, but Lunardi has them in as a 7 seed in his latest Bracketology, which makes sense since they've made a run in the ACC tourney to the final. This is just nuts.

And yes, bad picks before I learned the science to pick anything opposite of Don Q. :gomer:

Oh, and bite me, Bucky. :p And nice to see you came out of hibernation, warthog....err, Badger homer. :gomer:

-Kevin

cameraman
03-17-13, 01:35 PM
The OffCamberBracketChallenge is up at poolhost. If you were signed up for the NFL pool the same credentials will get you in.

The pick deadline is 12:15 PM eastern on Thursday 3-21.

Dvdb
03-17-13, 02:13 PM
really glad I just set up OffCamberbb13 at Poolhost....................

cameraman
03-17-13, 02:23 PM
really glad I just set up OffCamberbb13 at Poolhost....................

I didn't set it up, it was just there when I logged in to check if you had set it up. I just wanted to know the deadline.

dando
03-17-13, 02:25 PM
[Ernie Banks]Let's play two.[/Ernie Banks]

Banks was known for his catchphrase of, "It's a beautiful day for a ballgame... Let's play two!", expressing his wish to play a doubleheader every day out of his pure love for the game of baseball, especially in his self-described "friendly confines of Wrigley Field." In 1955, he set the record for grand slams in a single season with five, a record that stood for over thirty years.[3]

I'm in so many pools (only one involves actual greenbacks), I can't count them. Looking forward to the 'Sheet of Integrity' discussion on Mike and Mike this week, and whatever wager they agree upon. Golic getting his legs and arms waxed a few years ago (ala 40-year old Virgin) was epic. :rofl:

-Kevin

dando
03-17-13, 05:07 PM
OK, Wisky has Kid 'n Play and a 'dude' with a perm playing for them. :rofl:

-Kevin

Dvdb
03-20-13, 11:06 AM
Bump....

dando
03-20-13, 11:26 AM
Bump....

I'll be in tonight. I need to do picks with the girls.

-Kevin

TravelGal
03-20-13, 12:14 PM
Not to be especially obtuse, but which one? Poolhost OffCamberBracketChallenge?

Dvdb
03-20-13, 05:42 PM
Yep, Tgal. Everyone seems to have congregated to the "old" pool link.

I was going to delete the "new" one, but haven't had a chance to do it yet.

(Just deleted OffCamber13 pool)

At the risk of causing myself hardship this weekend, apparently I am the comish again.

TravelGal
03-20-13, 08:05 PM
Thanks. I concluded that entropy would take over so that's where I went. I've made my picks. Some of them I'm still "reconsidering" though.

I don't think it will be as hard as the foosball pool because there's only one deadline. You're either in or not. Read 'em and weep as we go along. I seem to remember weeping a lot.

TKGAngel
03-20-13, 08:11 PM
For those of us that didn't play in the football pool, what's the password?

cameraman
03-20-13, 11:15 PM
I'm in.

Pool Name is: OffCamberBracketChallenge

Pool ID: OC12

Password: Zanardi

if that doesn't work try

Pool login name: offcamber

password: pchall

Gnam
03-21-13, 02:28 AM
In.

dando
03-21-13, 06:35 AM
Meant to do it last night, but got sidetracked playing Easter Bunny. Now upon login in both Chrome and FF:

Provider error '80004005'

Unspecified error

INETPUB\WWWROOT\POOLHOST\../../inc/connect.inc, line 11

:saywhat:

I shall try again later this AM.

-Kevin

dando
03-21-13, 08:59 AM
Back up. SQL issue resolved.

-Kevin

dando
03-21-13, 09:05 AM
Winner, winner, chicken dinner is in. :D

-Kevin

TravelGal
03-21-13, 08:19 PM
STINK. That's the last time I let TravelGuy stand over my shoulder when I'm making my picks. Oddly enough, two of the ones I lost I would have GUESSED correctly. :\

And in related news, I see I didn't select a tie-break score. Oh commish!! Calling the commish. I guess it will be as much of a PITA as the foosball. I'll PM.

Dvdb
03-21-13, 09:26 PM
Dando, you have the same problem....no points for the final?

Hit me up.

Dvdb
03-21-13, 09:30 PM
Didn't you mock me for being "commish" earlier.............and now you want my benevolence?

TGal, you're in at 150 total points.

dando
03-21-13, 09:37 PM
Dando, you have the same problem....no points for the final?

Hit me up.

130. Odd. It took my picks, but they had SQL issues this AM. :\

-Kevin

Dvdb
03-21-13, 09:43 PM
You're good, Kev.............good luck

Dvdb
03-21-13, 09:57 PM
Just an FYI, my bracket will show a change. I mistakenly changed my points instead of Kevin's.

Commish error........carry on

and...............my cable goes out.............perfect

dando
03-21-13, 09:59 PM
You're good, Kev.............good luck

No need for luck. Just against Donkey and against the tokers from CSU and CO. :D

-Kevin

Dvdb
03-21-13, 10:20 PM
CSU tokers up on Mizzou........Tigers have talent but blow as a team. The Haith hate will ramp up tomorrow.

dando
03-21-13, 10:53 PM
CSU tokers up on Mizzou........Tigers have talent but blow as a team. The Haith hate will ramp up tomorrow.

I'm betting I'll be doing the Vinny Prospal scoreboard point by the end of the game. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

Dvdb
03-21-13, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, but a CSU win won't break my bracket. I played the homer card on Mizzou knowing they wouldn't advance too far.

TravelGal
03-22-13, 12:04 AM
Didn't you mock me for being "commish" earlier.............and now you want my benevolence?

TGal, you're in at 150 total points.

Yeah, that's why I said I realized it would be as much of a pain as the foosball. I created the pain! But, then I realized I was in good company. ;)

Just an FYI, my bracket will show a change. I mistakenly changed my points instead of Kevin's.

Commish error........carry on

and...............my cable goes out.............perfect

I wondered why yours was all yellow. I knew Mr. d and I were the only two without the required tie breaker. What the heck; I decided it would be high scoring game.

Dvdb
03-22-13, 12:23 AM
Efin Harvard.............

TravelGal
03-22-13, 12:27 AM
Oy, I even had New Mexico in the NEXT round. :shakehead

edit: I see these don't update as quickly as the football ones did.

Gnam
03-22-13, 12:33 AM
It's great that the PAC-12 teams are doing well: 3 teams into the next round, 4 if UCLA wins. Another CA team, St. Mary's, lost but had a good chance to win at the end.

Now, if most of them would just lose that would be swell.

dando
03-22-13, 12:33 AM
Jeebus, what a first day. :eek: I tried to pick chalk this time. :saywhat:

-Kevin

TravelGal
03-22-13, 12:40 AM
I supposed I'm supposed to be happy that Cal won but they ruined that section of my bracket through the sweet 16. Why didn't I pick them instead of St. Mary's?? :cry:

Insomniac
03-22-13, 09:12 AM

I had 'em, but I'm going to get killed today for not having Florida.

cameraman
03-22-13, 11:00 AM
That I have entirely ignored college basketball, beyond that Utah sucked mightily, seems to have carried over into my oh so well researched picks...

Gnam
03-22-13, 11:41 AM
Say it correctly now, Haav-ard.

TravelGal
03-22-13, 12:58 PM
Say it correctly now, Haav-ard.

:laugh: but I'm going with Haaa-vaaadh

dando
03-22-13, 03:00 PM
Yo, M&B....wanna poke yer head out now? :rofl:

-Kevin

Gnam
03-22-13, 03:03 PM
Georgetown about to screw the pooch.

Iona, why hast though forsaken me?

dando
03-22-13, 09:22 PM
Jeebus. 15 over 2. 14 over 3. And another 12 over 5. I expected this to be wacky, but holy crap, Batman. :eek:

-Kevin

dando
03-22-13, 09:23 PM
Georgetown about to screw the pooch.

Iona, why hast though forsaken me?

Buckeye love. :gomer:

-Brutus :D

dando
03-23-13, 11:17 PM
Jeebus what a tourney. :eek: I mean holy ****. :eek:

-Kevin

TravelGal
03-24-13, 12:42 AM
Jeebus what a tourney. :eek: I mean holy ****. :eek:

-Kevin

As they used to say in Ohio, when I lived there, "You're not just sayin' that." Geez, my West bracket is already shot to H.......

dando
03-24-13, 03:13 PM
Heart stop pounding now.... :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
03-25-13, 07:11 AM
Even more shocking that FGUC making the Sweet 16...TG leads the pool. :gomer: :D :p

-Kevin

TravelGal
03-25-13, 01:06 PM
Even more shocking that FGUC making the Sweet 16...TG leads the pool. :gomer: :D :p

-Kevin

Nice of you not to say "even more shocking that TG leads the pool" even though that's what you meant. :rofl: But what's with the :p Buster??

I actually felt pretty good about those first two rounds even though I went for the sentimental pick of SDSU even though I figured they'd only win one. (We lived in San Diego for a few years many eons ago). I'm not so sure about what's left.

dando
03-25-13, 04:26 PM
Nice of you not to say "even more shocking that TG leads the pool" even though that's what you meant. :rofl: But what's with the :p Buster??

I actually felt pretty good about those first two rounds even though I went for the sentimental pick of SDSU even though I figured they'd only win one. (We lived in San Diego for a few years many eons ago). I'm not so sure about what's left.

Just giving a little poke. :p I've been known to do that now and then to folks around here. :D

-Kevin

cameraman
03-25-13, 11:57 PM
I'm still in the running for first one out:D

Dvdb
03-28-13, 11:34 PM
Looks like another "interesting" evening........brackets shattering further?

TravelGal
03-29-13, 12:45 AM
If I meet anyone from Syracuse, I plan to shoot them. OK j/k but last year I had them all the way and they lost. This year I had them to lose and they won. :mad:

dando
03-29-13, 12:46 PM
Looks like another "interesting" evening........brackets shattering further?

Brackets are in flames. The U and IU out. Now for TSUN to lose tonight. :D

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-29-13, 02:11 PM
I don't know how I'm tied for the lead in this.

Gnam
03-30-13, 12:24 AM
If you're not first, you're last. :p

Insomniac
03-30-13, 12:50 PM
It didn't last long, I'm cooked.

TravelGal
03-30-13, 03:22 PM
I guess I'm making up for the football season where I thought I would do well and barely beat the 50% average for a coin flip. Honestly, Insomniac, the rise and fall is a tad beyond my bracket building imagination. It took me 10 minutes last night to figure out why the commish has the same number of points but I have more possible total points. Hint: Indiana. :rolleyes:

Insomniac
03-30-13, 06:00 PM
I guess I'm making up for the football season where I thought I would do well and barely beat the 50% average for a coin flip. Honestly, Insomniac, the rise and fall is a tad beyond my bracket building imagination. It took me 10 minutes last night to figure out why the commish has the same number of points but I have more possible total points. Hint: Indiana. :rolleyes:

Heh, I figure with my champ out and half my final 4 out, the odds are long.

cameraman
03-30-13, 08:57 PM
Well Ohio is down 20 so unless Wichita collapses...

TravelGal
03-31-13, 12:26 AM
Well Ohio is down 20 so unless Wichita collapses...

They are starting to look like the real deal. I sure didn't see that one coming. :p

dando
03-31-13, 06:46 AM
Couldn't hit water falling out of a boat last night. I blame Don Q. :irked: :gomer: The west region is a fuster cluck. :saywhat: :eek:

-Kevin

dando
03-31-13, 04:17 PM
This is nuts. I've seen TSUN play several times this season. They aren't this good. Now rooting for Duke to bust the rest of my bracket. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
03-31-13, 05:54 PM
Jeebus. Ware's shattered leg. :eek:

-Kevin <=== vomits

dando
03-31-13, 07:30 PM
$.02 from a moron...

The 'cuse zone will shut TSUN down, but I don't see anyone taking down Louisville.

</Pitino hater from his days coaching the Celtics...he didn't earn a $.10 of his $100m+ there>

:saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-01-13, 10:15 PM
Jeebus. Ware's shattered leg. :eek:

-Kevin <=== vomits

The wire service photo of Ware before the trainers got to him is making the rounds of Twitter tonight. I accidentally saw it and am still nauseous.

dando
04-01-13, 10:41 PM
The wire service photo of Ware before the trainers got to him is making the rounds of Twitter tonight. I accidentally saw it and am still nauseous.

Won't look, never will. The way CBS panned away, I had to replay it. Thankfully it was across the court to see it in detail. The reaction by the players on both sides was enough. :yuck:

-Kevin

cameraman
04-02-13, 12:02 AM
It is odd that he would suffer an open fracture like that, usually the ligaments will give up long before the bone does. That was as comprehensive a failure as you're ever going to see. Given the number of people playing hoops and the extreme rarity of a break like that you have to wonder if there was something wrong with the bone prior to the break. Maybe a stress fracture when he was younger.

TravelGal
04-08-13, 11:52 PM
Scoreboard!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Dvdb
04-09-13, 09:45 PM
Congrats to TravelGal. Sorry there is no prize, but I can extend laurels and hardy handshakes......:laugh:

Gnam
04-09-13, 10:03 PM
Way to go TravelGal! A true Cinderella story. ;)

TravelGal
04-10-13, 08:52 AM
Congrats to TravelGal. Sorry there is no prize, but I can extend laurels and hardy handshakes......:laugh:

Way to go TravelGal! A true Cinderella story. ;)

Thank you, thank you. I'm adjusting my tiara as we speak. It's refreshing (for me) to be at the other end of the list for a change.

TravelGuy thought my biggest coup was predicting a high-scoring game in advance. He thought the final would be 120 max. :D

Dvdb
04-10-13, 10:55 AM
May want to use the next few months to study up on the NFL. September will be here before you know it.

TravelGal
04-10-13, 09:48 PM
May want to use the next few months to study up on the NFL. September will be here before you know it.

pbbbbbbbbbbbt. But yes, perhaps a trifle more attention would keep me from the cellar. But then, who would you have to look down to?

Insomniac
04-14-13, 02:52 PM
I'm the true winner. Everyone above me made/changed picks late. :D

Congrats TravelGal!