PDA

View Full Version : An electronic stove? Seriously?

cameraman
03-09-13, 12:32 PM
Vatican workers hoisted a chimney onto the roof of the Sistine Chapel on Saturday in readiness for the conclave of Catholic cardinals that will elect a successor to Pope Benedict. The rust-coloured pipe was attached above the terracotta tiles of the roof of the frescoed chapel clearly visible from the nearby St. Peter's Square, where traditionally thousands of believers gather to see how the secret balloting is progressing. Two stoves were installed and attached to a single flue leading up to the roof. One, made of cast iron and used in every conclave since 1939, will be used to burn ballots. The second stove is an electronic one with a key, a red start button and seven tiny temperature indicator lights. Flares will be electronically ignited inside it to send out either white or black smoke.

Really? How did they manage for the past thousand or so years without the electronic stove:shakehead

TravelGal
03-09-13, 01:32 PM
I can remember one time, several popes ago, when the TV announcers were struggling to decide whether the smoke was white or black so I suppose this is a good idea. Who says the Catholic Church is out of touch with the modern day?

G.
03-09-13, 01:49 PM
I'm not particularly religious ("Raised-Catholic", the battle cry of the America apathetic.).

Some of the Vatican history and secrets really intrigue me. Not so much the scandals, crime, political infighting (and exfighting!), but the wealth, art, tarditions, etc.

The scandalous stuff is readily available, but I've been trying to dip into the historical analysis of some of the Dark Ages/pre-Renaissance stuff.

Also, I want to know what is inside the Vatican - treasure, relics (dead people stuff), documents with titles such as, "Here's How We Are going To Completely Troll Galileo", etc.

There's an online tour some of the basement areas under the Vatican, and they still have the Roman orgy frescoes, fallen tunnels, etc. Pretty cool.

Any recommended sources for someone with a very short attention span? Like, reddit.com/r/askhistorians short. :laugh:

So, on topic, I thought back in the 70's or 80's there was drama since no one could tell for sure if the magic smoke was white or black. ?? Now it's a new tardition to use dance club smoke machines?

What did they historically use to signal white or black?

dando
03-09-13, 02:15 PM
I'm not particularly religious ("Raised-Catholic", the battle cry of the America apathetic.).

Some of the Vatican history and secrets really intrigue me. Not so much the scandals, crime, political infighting (and exfighting!), but the wealth, art, tarditions, etc.

The scandalous stuff is readily available, but I've been trying to dip into the historical analysis of some of the Dark Ages/pre-Renaissance stuff.

Also, I want to know what is inside the Vatican - treasure, relics (dead people stuff), documents with titles such as, "Here's How We Are going To Completely Troll Galileo", etc.

There's an online tour some of the basement areas under the Vatican, and they still have the Roman orgy frescoes, fallen tunnels, etc. Pretty cool.

Any recommended sources for someone with a very short attention span? Like, reddit.com/r/askhistorians short. :laugh:

G,

So, on topic, I thought back in the 70's or 80's there was drama since no one could tell for sure if the magic smoke was white or black. ?? Now it's a new tardition to use dance club smoke machines?

fUspLVStPbk

SJUhlRoBL8M&feature=fvwp

And as a bonus, the Machine that goes Bing.

Qbnv6eHKjCQ

Born Catholic, but I detest the Church. It just might be Monty Python's influence growing up. ;)

:D :waiting for lightning:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-09-13, 02:27 PM
Given the history intrigue, scandal, and massive political consequence of pope selection I'd like to know why they think they need to burn the ballots.

Makes questions of having a paper trail, winged ballots, SCOTUS decisions, and tampering with voting machine software kinda tame.

Jus' sayin' ;)

dando
03-09-13, 02:42 PM
Given the history intrigue, scandal, and massive political consequence of pope selection I'd like to know why they think they need to burn the ballots.

Makes questions of having a paper trail, winged ballots, SCOTUS decisions, and tampering with voting machine software kinda tame.

Jus' sayin' ;)

I had to laugh when Today showed the white smoke coming out of the Papal helicopter this AM. Jeebus.

-Kevin

nrc
03-09-13, 02:48 PM
Born Catholic, but I detest the Church. It just might be Monty Python's influence growing up. ;)

:D :waiting for lightning:

-Kevin

Lutheran - "Protestant, and fiercely proud of it!"

ifgHHhw_6g8

dando
03-09-13, 02:55 PM
Lutheran - "Protestant, and fiercely proud of it!"

ifgHHhw_6g8

I actually looked for this earlier. :rofl:

'I can where whatever what I want my John Thomas.' :rofl:

-Kevin

dando
03-09-13, 02:57 PM
Don't get me started. I think a cage match would be best to decide.

-Kevin

dando
03-09-13, 06:06 PM
http://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Pope-AW139-smoke.jpg

Pope farting or a sign o' the times? ;) Waits for lightning, or...

nLJ8ILIE780

-Kevin

TKGAngel
03-09-13, 08:54 PM

Wiki says that the black smoke was initially created by burning the ballots with wet straw, but now there is some sort of chemical additive. The white smoke is created just from burning the ballots on their own.

emjaya
03-10-13, 02:09 AM
i9SSOWORzw4

dando
03-10-13, 04:57 AM
7DA2MKuI6fs

-Kevin

Indy
03-10-13, 02:30 PM
Electronics and ****? Those Catholics are really modern. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

TravelGal
03-11-13, 04:05 PM
Speaking of modern. There is a photo floating around the webs with the cardinals going into a doorway and two guards saluting. Today's version has been photoshopped. In the original, the angle of salute was not identical. Today it is. Magic!

Gnam
03-11-13, 08:30 PM
Know your cardinal breakdown.

http://s13.postimage.org/ksyu0qtrb/global_map_of_catholics.jpg

dando
03-11-13, 08:38 PM
Should we start a pool? ;)

(Again, awaiting lightning) :D <== used to go to mass on Sat afternoon with my Nana & Papa and got chastised for doing the cross like the priest (hand out up and down and around). :D

-Kevin

Indy
03-11-13, 11:02 PM
http://i.qkme.me/35krkm.jpg

Gnam
03-13-13, 02:20 PM
Stove works good. :thumbup:

http://s8.postimage.org/csv12c6cl/628x471.jpg

cameraman
03-13-13, 03:36 PM
And the Pope tweeted his appointment:rofl:

@JMBergoglio Inmensamente feliz de ser el nuevo Papa, Francisco I