PDA

View Full Version : OK, so now I'm prepping to move...

dando
03-07-13, 02:09 PM
I have a condo targeted. Of the property requests, I've allowed the washer dryer combo (10 years old) to go with her.

Looking into replacements:

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-3.6-cu-ft-front-load-washer-and/p-026CO52792812B?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Also look into mattresses. The old one will burn on Don Q's lawn. ;)

Thoughts?

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-07-13, 02:16 PM
Thoughts?

-KevinIf you have a spare couch, I would burn that on my front lawn also.

As for washer/dryer we bought an LG set about 6 years ago, and they have been great. They seem to get terrible reviews for reliability, but we haven't spent a dime on them.

dando
03-07-13, 02:37 PM
If you have a spare couch, I would burn that on my front lawn also.

As for washer/dryer we bought an LG set about 6 years ago, and they have been great. They seem to get terrible reviews for reliability, but we haven't spent a dime on them.

I'm going to trash the mattress or couch or the floor has been my bed for the past 9 mos. + Gave the couch and love seat up for the pets the other night.

Did I mention I hate IU? ;)

-Kevin

Tifosi24
03-07-13, 03:40 PM
I have a condo targeted. Of the property requests, I've allowed the washer dryer combo (10 years old) to go with her.

Looking into replacements:

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-3.6-cu-ft-front-load-washer-and/p-026CO52792812B?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Also look into mattresses. The old one will burn on Don Q's lawn. ;)

Thoughts?

-Kevin

Those units are probably made on contract by LG. The wife and I just bought Kenmore Elite top loads and so far they have been very nice (but that is only two months). Our pair is made by LG. We have had good luck with Kenmore for our other appliances that we have bought the past few years. In terms of mattresses, we also recently bought one from the Original Mattress factory (I think they have stores in tOhio) and I am really happy with it. Comfortable and a good deal everyday of the week.

dando
03-07-13, 10:34 PM
Anything I buy will have an extended warranty. Sears/Kenmore has done well by us thus far. Might need to see what I can get via gift cards for Sears/Lowes.

Anyone have any knowledge about sleep number beds? I sleep horribly. Toss and turn constantly. The pets don't help. :saywhat:

-Kevin

rosawendel
03-07-13, 11:48 PM
I HATE our front-loaders. Pedestals not included, and are rediculously overpriced. Gas dryer needed a flange adapter for a larger gas line (which means the installers won't touch it and the "free installation" is now being done by you), and our washer collects mold/mildew/miscellaneous stinkyness, and is pretty much impossible to keep clean. It's even the subject of a class action lawsuit (linkie) (http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/11/whirlpool_front-loading_washer.html).

blech. never again.

On the other hand, we have an original mattress described above. Traditional mattress without the shell-game run-around of the big names.

dando
03-08-13, 12:26 AM
I HATE our front-loaders. Pedestals not included, and are rediculously overpriced. Gas dryer needed a flange adapter for a larger gas line (which means the installers won't touch it and the "free installation" is now being done by you), and our washer collects mold/mildew/miscellaneous stinkyness, and is pretty much impossible to keep clean. It's even the subject of a class action lawsuit (linkie) (http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/11/whirlpool_front-loading_washer.html).

blech. never again.

On the other hand, we have an original mattress described above. Traditional mattress without the shell-game run-around of the big names.

Yeah prolly need to re-think the mattress. No need for a dual setting any more. :saywhat: I just have sleep issues. Period. I blame Elmo. ;) :gomer:

The front loaders have served us well, and with proper care, the mold, etc. issues can be mitigated with proper cleaning. However they are 10 now, so the MTBF is less now. Plus they changed the detergent ~5 years ago. :irked:

Plus, I need to re-think the new normal as far as use.

-Kevin

chop456
03-08-13, 05:27 AM
I HATE our front-loaders.

We have a bottom of the line, top-loading Amana washer that has been problem-free for almost 15 years of heavy use. All mechanical controls, selector for hot/warm/cold and one for water level.

We have friends and a sister in law that are on their 2nd or 3rd front loader in that span or have had control board replacements costing upwards of $300. "Our" appliance guy won't even work on them. Our machine cost less than their repairs and 1/2 to 1/3 of what the machines cost.

I understand that they're infinitely more efficient, have a much higher capacity and can "do" a lot more with steam, etc., but in my mind, a washing machine shouldn't be a maintenance-required item.

Only way I'd buy one is if the wife demanded it or refused to do laundry otherwise. :D

And Dando - there's a 10% off Lowe's "moving coupon" HERE (http://www.lowes.com/cd_Offers+and+Services_425333486_)

cameraman
03-08-13, 01:22 PM
I've got a new top loading LG machine and I have to say that I'm singularly unimpressed. It is a "low water use" machine, so low in fact that the laundry isn't under water if it is running in standard mode. It is also "smart" and it spends an inordinate amount of time spinning and jiggling the clothes to "sense" the load. With all that you can watch a sock, through the pretty diamond glass top, spend the entire run sitting on top of the load not getting washed. Color me very unimpressed.

Napoleon
03-08-13, 01:27 PM
With all that you can watch a sock, through the pretty diamond glass top, spend the entire run sitting on top of the load not getting washed.

You need to get yourself a hobby or something. ;)

Andrew Longman
03-08-13, 01:42 PM
Input from our local Maytag repairman is all washers are pretty much crap these days. His contention is the Iowa farm boys who made Maytags pretty much perfected them about 1955. The problem was they never wore out or needed replacing unless the Mrs. got tired of the color or the Mr. didn't want to move it.

But when they got bought the marketing whizzes determined that a washer should last only 7-10 years because that's how long people generally stay in one place and so they were engineers accordingly. Then they got the bright idea to raise the price point by adding features, hence front loaders, fancy colors and "smarts", which conveniently break. Front loaders are worse he says because gravity puts more stress on bearings,seals and the transmission and they aren't built beefy enough for the job.

His advice it to buy cheap top loaders with minimal electronics and smarts. If it breaks it still may not be worth fixing but you won't feel so bad.

FWIW YMMV

Don Quixote
03-08-13, 02:14 PM
You need to get yourself a hobby or something. ;)Like collecting songs about laundry.

Watching the Clothes Go Round - Pretenders

All Night Laundromat Blues - Joe Walsh

Laundromat - Rory Gallagher

nrc
03-08-13, 02:37 PM
Kenmore super duper ultra capacity somethin or other. No problems in 8 years or so. I don't like bending down for the dryer so I'm not sure why I'd want to do that for a washer as well.

Oh, and "I Was Born in a Laundromat".

93yFsXMXZ1A

dando
03-08-13, 02:57 PM
Yup. Balky hip, knees, back and other pieces parts that are failing. Don't need to bend as much as possible. :saywhat:

Maybe a laundromat is the way to go to meet chicks. ;) Or maybe not...

JdOwTN4-n1I

:D

-Kevin

Gnam
03-08-13, 05:33 PM
Yup. Balky hip, knees, back and other pieces parts that are failing. Don't need to bend as much as possible. :saywhat:

Maybe a laundromat is the way to go to meet chicks. ;) Or maybe not...

-Kevin
Have you considered recycling? Single moms usually come with a washer & dryer. ;)

dando
03-08-13, 11:02 PM
Have you considered recycling? Single moms usually come with a washer & dryer. ;)

Dude, I'm going into the closet after this mess. ;)

-Kevin

Indy
03-09-13, 03:18 AM
Whirlpool Cabrio top loader and dryer with all the bells and whistles. Maybe 5 years old. No troubles, work well. About $1800 for both.

KLang
03-09-13, 08:18 AM
Whirlpool Cabrio top loader and dryer with all the bells and whistles. Maybe 5 years old. No troubles, work well. About $1800 for both.

I think this is what we have but with Kenmore Elite badging. About 6 years old with no issues so far. I do run the monthly bleach cleaning cycle added after the Calypso mold/mildew problems.

dando
03-09-13, 08:53 AM
I think this is what we have but with Kenmore Elite badging. About 6 years old with no issues so far. I do run the monthly bleach cleaning cycle added after the Calypso mold/mildew problems.

Bleach or vinegar? I've used vinegar in the past, but I tend to smell like pickles afterwards. ;)

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-09-13, 09:22 AM
Bleach or vinegar? I've used vinegar in the past, but I tend to smell like pickles afterwards. ;)

-KevinIf your pickle is smelly I would agree you should stay closeted and not waste your coin on anything more than a used mattress on the floor.

Runs.

KLang
03-09-13, 09:32 AM

-Kevin

A cup of bleach in the bleach dispenser per the instructions. There is a dedicated clean cycle they recommend running monthly. Seems to work just fine.

cameraman
03-09-13, 11:25 AM
bleach to kill bacteria/mold
vinegar to remove hard water stains

Indy
03-09-13, 11:35 AM
Don't know about maintaining them -- Wifey Indy would know more about that. But I just did a couple of loads last night, and no mold/pickles smell. :p

dando
03-09-13, 02:22 PM
Don't know about maintaining them -- Wifey Indy would know more about that. But I just did a couple of loads last night, and no mold/pickles smell. :p

Truth be told, me thinks the Mrs. did this intentionally...I had a number of bits of clothes after we first met that turned pink. I've always done my laundry on my own, which I've for years previously. But when I do the girls' laundry, heck ensues. Today the washer 'walked out' during a load. So now I'm dealing with an escaped catten and this (among other things). Jeebus. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
03-10-13, 01:03 PM
A cup of bleach in the bleach dispenser per the instructions. There is a dedicated clean cycle they recommend running monthly. Seems to work just fine.

I only use Clorox 2. Does that work, or just real bleach? Running the soap, bleach, softener dispenser through the dish washer now after a good overnight soak.

-Kevin

cameraman
03-11-13, 09:02 AM
I only use Clorox 2. Does that work, or just real bleach? Running the soap, bleach, softener dispenser through the dish washer now after a good overnight soak.

-Kevin

You are trying to kill things, you need to use real bleach, 6% sodium hypochlorite. All Clorox 2 is going to do is give you bright and shiny mold.

dando
03-14-13, 09:58 AM
Looking to downsize somewhat...thoughts on sound bars? Currently have 3 home theater setups. Planning to move the main setup (man cave) to a small basement, but want a small config in the great room for casual viewing.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sound+bar

There was one on Woot the other day, but I resisted. The speakers on the new Vizio LCDs are less than optimal. :saywhat:

Gotta figure out how to fit 4K' of stuff into 2K' of space.

-Kevin

dando
03-16-13, 02:00 PM
Ended up getting this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-E450-Wireless-AirTrack-Sound/dp/B0076U29LK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363456608&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+HW-E450+Wireless+AirTrack+Sound+Bar

We'll see how it goes. Seems that sound bars are quite the rage now, and with a condo, I won't have the room for a full setup in the great room.

Offer made on the condo to keep the girls near their school and friends here.

Now if I could just get the Harmony 900 remote to program correctly. :saywhat:

-Kevin

stroker
03-16-13, 06:00 PM
Dude, I'm going into the closet after this mess. ;)

-Kevin

QFT