PDA

View Full Version : The Aussie Car Of Right Now!

NismoZ
03-05-13, 06:32 PM
Future, tomorrow, right now...whatever, IT'S HERE! Difficult to see or hear the difference, (which is FINE) but I guess it's about 8-10kph faster and drivers seem pleased. Lowndes and van Gisbergen win rounds 1 and 2 in Adelaide and Nissan and Mercedes need a lot of work! Good to see, though. Should be a popular race in Austin...I know I'd like to see it. PS...Lowndes gets his 98th win...not TOO shabby.

opinionated ow
03-05-13, 07:48 PM
Aside from the engines (which have all been 'equalised') and the look of the bodywork they are all identical. The lap times are slower, the 'racing' just as tedious and the new cars slow. Mostly because the engines are completely different and need to be allowed to run differently. A double overhead cam V8 generates power in a different way to a pushrod engine and they've made no allowances for that, just stuck the blanket 7,500rpm rule on it. The engines have been moved back and lots of drivers ended up with burn feet because the mandated fire wall didn't do enough to suppress the heat.

They were more than a second down in qualifying compared to last year and the GT Championship was something like 2s/lap faster.

NismoZ
03-05-13, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I saw them insulating shoes by taping stuff to the soles! High tech!:D But, slower? Dang, maybe the comment I heard was referring to top end only? I know hard core OW guys don't like the V-8s much and you probably feel the same way toward the Supercars as I do toward NASCAR but it's ROAD racing, and streets, and I find it far superior and more entertaining than a 21 car train running at 197 mph... then getting bunched up by the inevitable yellow for the "exciting" GreenWhiteChecker:thumdown: I always pull for Marcos at Watkins Glen and Sonoma...must have learned how to drive in that NASCAB feeder series down there!:)

NismoZ
03-22-13, 01:32 PM
Equalized or not, I found that Melbourne rain race (3) VERY entertaining! Lots of passing, offs, REpassing. Hard NOT to be impressed with performances by Coulthard, van Gisbergen, Lowndes and McGloughlin (in the other races)...I think the V-8s were worthy of the F-1 track and weekend. Seriously, check out the rain race (3) on Youtube, HD, only 25 min., and the first 3 laps are the best anyway, if you bore easily!:D As I said before, I look forward to the race in Austin. The track is faster and probably not as conducive to CLOSE racing but should be good none the less. PS...WOW, KIWIS RULE!:D:p;)

Trevor Longman
03-22-13, 04:38 PM
Equalized or not, I found that Melbourne rain race (3) VERY entertaining! Lots of passing, offs, REpassing. Hard NOT to be impressed with performances by Coulthard, van Gisbergen, Lowndes and McGloughlin (in the other races)...I think the V-8s were worthy of the F-1 track and weekend. Seriously, check out the rain race (3) on Youtube, HD, only 25 min., and the first 3 laps are the best anyway, if you bore easily!:D As I said before, I look forward to the race in Austin. The track is faster and probably not as conducive to CLOSE racing but should be good none the less. PS...WOW, KIWIS RULE!:D:p;)

That opening lap by Van Gisbergen was incredible. Like Senna at Donington. 9th to 1st in 1 lap!

emjaya
03-23-13, 12:18 AM
PS...WOW, KIWIS RULE!:D:p;)

I'm ignoring you from now on. ;)

NismoZ
03-23-13, 12:23 AM
No you won't...we're RACERS! (sort of):thumbup: