PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Did What??

TedN
03-05-13, 06:57 AM
The National Rifle Association announced on Monday that it has reached a deal to sponsor the April 13 Sprint Cup race, known as the NRA 500, at Texas Motor Speedway.

NRA members and NASCAR fans love their country and everything that is good and right about America. We salute our flag ... volunteer in our churches and communities ... cherish our families ... and we love racing! On April 13, we'll all come together at Texas Motor Speedway."

Source (http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/9014873/nra-sponsor-texas-sprint-cup-race)

Ted

:yuck:

Wheel-Nut
03-05-13, 11:39 AM
I'm a gun toting NRA member and I support this move. :thumbup:

Indy
03-05-13, 01:03 PM
Way to pick up new fans, NASCAR. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

TravelGal
03-05-13, 01:18 PM
Actually, it seems to me like a pretty good fit for the NASCAR demographic.

gerhard911
03-05-13, 01:50 PM
Actually, it seems to me like a pretty good fit for the NASCAR demographic.

And that's the problem. It's a perfect fit for their traditional (but shrinking) demographic but a really lousy way to attract a broader fan base. I'm sure Gossage can really use the money though.

NismoZ
03-05-13, 03:44 PM
Not as good as mounting guns ON/IN the cars...give new meaning to maneuvering for position! Talk about ENTERTAINMENT!:thumbup:

JoeBob
03-05-13, 05:33 PM
A couple of interesting things about this sponsorship.

First: The track noted their ability to tap into the NRA's member lists to sell tickets as part of the deal. I almost wonder if this is a trade deal. "We'll let you direct market to our members, if you put our name on the event. We'll talk about sponsorship value, and not actual money changing hands."

Second: Federal law bans gun manufacturers from airing commercials. This is somewhat of a test to see if they can use sports sponsorships, much as the tobacco companies used to.

Indy
03-05-13, 07:05 PM
The NRA doesn't need advertising. They get more free publicity than anyone, and ironically even more when a schoolroom full of kids are murdered. Gun sales are rather brisk, I hear. :rolleyes:

TKGAngel
03-05-13, 10:35 PM
USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2013/03/04/texas-motor-speedway-nra-victory-lane-six-shooters/1963489/) reports that the NRA sponsorship could affect the cowboy hat and six-shooter victory lane celebration, so as not to cause any individual team any sponsor issues.

I think the whole gig is deliciously cheesy. But seriously, isn't worrying about it now a bit like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube?

opinionated ow
03-05-13, 11:27 PM
i wonder what would happen if a driver who was against private ownership of guns refused to touch or fire the gun after they won the race?

Wheel-Nut
03-06-13, 10:59 AM
The NRA doesn't need advertising. They get more free publicity than anyone, and ironically even more when a schoolroom full of kids are murdered. Gun sales are rather brisk, I hear. :rolleyes:

And ammo sales!!

Wheel-Nut
03-06-13, 12:17 PM
i wonder what would happen if a driver who was against private ownership of guns refused to touch or fire the gun after they won the race?

He . . . . or she would get empty coolers and cans of beer thrown at him . . . . . or her.

NismoZ
03-06-13, 01:09 PM
Yeah, but it'd just be the can or coolers fault if anybody got hurt...better ban 'em before someone gets kilt!... 'specially those 12paks all clipped together!

G.
03-06-13, 01:45 PM
Second: Federal law bans gun manufacturers from airing commercials. This is somewhat of a test to see if they can use sports sponsorships, much as the tobacco companies used to.

?? :confused:

The few times I've stumbled onto whatever Outdoorsman channels I have, I've seen commercials from firearms manufacturers. Baretta comes to mind.

Napoleon
03-06-13, 02:10 PM

The few times I've stumbled onto whatever Outdoorsman channels I have, I've seen commercials from firearms manufacturers. Baretta comes to mind.

Was it over the air or cable channel. Maybe there is a difference in what applies.

JoeBob
03-06-13, 04:12 PM
I did a little more research (I thought I'd heard a story on the news that quotes laws) and it seems there aren't federal laws, but rather restrictions placed by networks and carriers. (Time Warner Cable and Comcast stopped accepting ads from gun makers and gun stores)

As a sort of way around this, it is written into the sponsorship deal that the TV announcers must refer to the race as the NRA 500 at least once per hour during the broadcast.

So, FOX might refuse gun ads - but they'd follow the provision in the race contract that they refer to the race as the NRA 500 once per hour.

TKGAngel
03-06-13, 04:21 PM

Also, some of those ads might be part of the sponsorship deal that the manufacturer negotiated with the outdoorsy shows. Usually, a mention/segment within a program can include so many commercial broadcasts within that program or on a given network (These are ads that the cable company can't stop because they don't control the network feed).

Rex Karz
03-06-13, 07:51 PM
Bring your concealed carry to the track on race day and get a discount on admission. :) :D :p :tony:

NismoZ
03-07-13, 04:01 PM
Tell ya what ELSE they did...fined Denny Hamlin $25,000 for saying the Gen 6 isn't as good as the COT. You wonder why any of those guys EVER answer a qestion. They'd love to have colorful individuals to promote the series but I guess it's better to throw helmets, punches and 200 mph blocks than voice what you believe to be true?