PDA

View Full Version : Zanardi up for Laureus award

opinionated ow
03-02-13, 10:37 AM
http://www.laureus.com/sites/default/files/hercules.jpg

It remains one of the iconic images of the 2012 Games. A man, his legs missing from the knee down, sits on the sun-baked tarmac of Brands Hatch. He holds his hand-cycle above his head with what seems Herculean strength. His smile is one of pure joy.

That man was Alex Zanardi. He had just won the Paralympic gold in the hand-cycle road race on the very track he once raced motor cars. The picture would appear the next day in newspapers around the world.
http://www.laureus.com/news/two-seconds-paralympic-hero-alex-zanardi-race-his-life

As is the case so often with these Paralympic stories I had tears of joy. Alex Zanardi really is an inspiration.

dando
03-02-13, 11:29 AM
A true hero. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
03-02-13, 09:40 PM
Alex has an amazing story. It's one that I think about when I start to feel defeated about something. He's one of my heroes too.

Gnam
03-04-13, 02:17 AM
:cool::thumbup:

dando
03-04-13, 12:03 PM
And in case we don't remember....

N0N1gLOx3Os

Until recently, the worst week of my life. That and Gregg Moore.

-Kevin

Elmo T
03-04-13, 12:48 PM
<blog> I was doing an inspection last week at a home occupation business. Met a 5th grader who just completed his final round of chemo for treatment of bone cancer. Mom said while he had chemo and a cadaver bone implant, the "new" leg bone will not grow and he might need to amputate at some point in the future. The kid happily stated that by then his leg will be operating with an internal iPad. :)

I related Zanardi and said he could do anything he wanted with or without that leg. :thumbup:

Side note - cancer sucks and hug your kids. :(

dando
03-04-13, 03:02 PM
Yup. I do every 18 hours I get a week. :) I'm also close friends with an ex that I managed previously. (Nothing @ all importer). He's been fighting brain cancer for years now (Neuorblastoma). More years than I can count. Sadly. Anyway, I send them treats when I can. :)

I just do what I can. Just be nice to each other. And glitter helps. </Elmo>

;)

-Kevin

TravelGal
03-05-13, 01:25 PM
Emotional article. I never cease to be amazed by this man.

dando
03-05-13, 02:49 PM
I watched Z turf M-O. I hated him @ the Team Rahal event when 'The Pass' happened . I rooted for him & Jimmy V to wreck. I now have no more respect for another sports figure. Just sayin'.

Peace. And as I tried to relate to the girls the other night...Be kind to Eveyrone.

</Elen>

-Kevin

Indy
03-05-13, 07:01 PM
Well said, dando. I couldn't agree more.