PDA

View Full Version : NFL Offseason '13

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gnam
02-27-13, 03:05 PM
Let's offseason.

49ers trade Alex Smith to Chiefs

San Francisco will receive Kansas City’s second-round pick in April’s draft – No. 34 overall – and a “similar” pick in 2014, according to the San Jose Mercury News’ Tim Kawakami.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/02/27/reports-49ers-will-trade-smith-to-chiefs-for-huge-haul/

The article mentions that Smith is the 4th quarterback traded from the Niners to the Chiefs. Also, Andy Reid coached Jeff Garcia after he left the Niners.

I'll cheer for him when they play the Raiders. :thumbup:

Don Quixote
02-27-13, 05:18 PM
This means that the Browns won't get him. Whew! :thumbup: :D

Andrew Longman
02-28-13, 09:09 AM
So the Chiefs have three QBs rejected from other teams.

Reid seems to be repeating his pattern of expecting too much from a QB who isn't quite good enough for the huge expectations given him and then giving him little help on the offensive side of the ball combined with unimaginative play calling.

Insomniac
02-28-13, 11:25 AM
49ers are in a really, really good position for the future.

dando
02-28-13, 12:22 PM
49ers are in a really, really good position for the future.

And I really, really hate the 9ers. Did I mention I hate the 9ers? And I hate Tom Crean. </Don Q> ;)

Racing Truth
02-28-13, 02:11 PM
This means that the Browns won't get him. Whew! :thumbup: :D

Indeed. Smith's fine, but NOT our long-term answer. And trading a 2nd rounder for him?:saywhat:

Insomniac
02-28-13, 02:37 PM
Indeed. Smith's fine, but NOT our long-term answer. And trading a 2nd rounder for him?:saywhat:

2nd this year AND a 2nd or 3rd in 2014.

Gnam
02-28-13, 02:38 PM
Maybe Andy Reid is hoping Smith can sustain offensive drives and keep people like Peyton Manning on the bench. Also, he's a leader in the locker room. During his time with San Francisco, the organization was a three ring circus/goat rodeo extravaganza, but he stayed professional and focused on winning games.

Racing Truth
02-28-13, 02:47 PM
Maybe Andy Reid is hoping Smith can sustain offensive drives and keep people like Peyton Manning on the bench. Also, he's a leader in the locker room. During his time with San Francisco, the organization was a three ring circus/goat rodeo extravaganza, but he stayed professional and focused on winning games.

I get that, and he IS an upgrade, but is he an SB winner in the making? I dunno, it's close. Not to mention, is his arm strong enough for the open KC environment?

Insomniac
02-28-13, 03:17 PM
Brady is either selfless or conniving it appears.

As A Pats fan, my take is Brady has never squeezed the Pats for maximum value and the Pats have never treated him poorly. $9M/yr seems low, but it's for 2015-2017. No one knows how he'll be playing then. It could be too much, too little or just right.

Only one thing is for sure. He gave up all his leverage to create cap room. This wasn't a restructuring, it was an extension. The Pats could put the screws to him now if he doesn't have much of a drop off come 2015. I don't think they will, but they have more times than not made people play to the contract they signed. I recall one exception was Richard Seymour. They gave him a bonus ($3M) when he was holding out. Otherwise you play for what you signed to play. (They do extensions, but they don't tear up remaining years.)

So I think Brady did more than typical.

Insomniac
02-28-13, 03:21 PM
I get that, and he IS an upgrade, but is he an SB winner in the making? I dunno, it's close. Not to mention, is his arm strong enough for the open KC environment?

Is Cassel written off now? I thought he had a good 2010. Lost Charles in 2011?

Gnam
02-28-13, 03:35 PM
Let the 49ers worry about the SB. ;)

By 'open environment' are you referring to the weather? Compared to Candlestick Park, Arrowhead is a tropical paradise with gentle, soothing breezes. :p

Gnam
02-28-13, 04:29 PM
The 2013 schedule hasn't been announced yet but the matchups have. Last year the 49ers had to play every team in New York and every NFC team in the northern tier of the country. This year they'll be playing teams from the South.

1. Atlanta
2. Carolina
3. Houston
4. Indianapolis ;)
5. @ New Orleans
6. @ Tampa Bay
7. @ Jacksonville (London)
8. @ Tennessee
9. @ Washington (Maryland is in the South, right?)

dando
02-28-13, 07:20 PM
Brady is either selfless or conniving it appears.

As A Pats fan, my take is Brady has never squeezed the Pats for maximum value and the Pats have never treated him poorly. $9M/yr seems low, but it's for 2015-2017. No one knows how he'll be playing then. It could be too much, too little or just right.

Only one thing is for sure. He gave up all his leverage to create cap room. This wasn't a restructuring, it was an extension. The Pats could put the screws to him now if he doesn't have much of a drop off come 2015. I don't think they will, but they have more times than not made people play to the contract they signed. I recall one exception was Richard Seymour. They gave him a bonus ($3M) when he was holding out. Otherwise you play for what you signed to play. (They do extensions, but they don't tear up remaining years.)

So I think Brady did more than typical.

And he has a Bitchen wife that makes more jack than he does. ;)

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-01-13, 12:24 AM
And he has a Bitchen wife that makes more jack than he does. ;)

-Kevin

That had to be the craziest thing I heard/read this week. He took less because his wife makes a lot. Seriously? Or he is worth $100M, he can afford to take less. A lot of people in all kinds of jobs could take less, but prefer to be paid fairly. Media is nuts, he has to be one extreme or the other.

dando
03-03-13, 10:03 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9006059/joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-reach-agreement-according-source

Srsly? Really? Srsly? :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

stroker
03-03-13, 12:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9006059/joe-flacco-baltimore-ravens-reach-agreement-according-source

-Kevin

It's their money, mang. :) We'll see how he does.

nrc
03-03-13, 09:58 PM

-Kevin

Gotta hand it to him, he performed when payday was coming so now he gets to collect. Sounds like the Ravens were in a pinch where tagging him would have caused cap problems. Now they can structure the deal to avoid that.

I saw where Rothlesburger restructured his contract to help out the Steelers who are in cap trouble. He's probably getting his bonuses in ruffies now.

dando
03-06-13, 02:03 PM
Got damn that's fast.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9019889/2013-nfl-draft-northern-iowa-panthers-terrell-sinkfield-runs-419-40-pro-day

:eek:

-Kevin

Gnam
03-11-13, 08:48 PM
Ravens trade WR Anquan Boldin to 49ers.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/03/11/reports-anquan-boldin-traded-to-49ers-for-a-sixth-round-pick/

:):saywhat::thumbup:

dando
03-11-13, 08:53 PM
Ravens trade WR Anquan Boldin to 49ers.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/03/11/reports-anquan-boldin-traded-to-49ers-for-a-sixth-round-pick/

:):saywhat::thumbup:

6th round pick? :saywhat: :shakehead

Not to mention that Harvin is off to the Seahags. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
03-11-13, 08:58 PM
And reports are that Reed may be gone as well. Reed, Boldin and Lewis...is this the NFL version of the Marlins? Fine by me. :D

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-11-13, 11:27 PM
And reports are that Reed may be gone as well. Reed, Boldin and Lewis...is this the NFL version of the Marlins? Fine by me. :D

-KevinI doubt it given what they just paid Flacco.

Boldin is a tough call. He is 32 and he was going to cost a lot. But he is Boldin. Tough, hard working, and pretty no nonsense. Really good downfield blocker who makes Rice better. Make a lot of players better. But his production is going to trail off.

Nevertheless I would think he is worth more than a 6th rounder. That's almost a throwaway. Goes to show the Ravens were not in a position to negotiate.

dando
03-12-13, 03:27 AM
I doubt it given what they just paid Flacco.

Boldin is a tough call. He is 32 and he was going to cost a lot. But he is Boldin. Tough, hard working, and pretty no nonsense. Really good downfield blocker who makes Rice better. Make a lot of players better. But his production is going to trail off.

Nevertheless I would think he is worth more than a 6th rounder. That's almost a throwaway. Goes to show the Ravens were not in a position to negotiate.

Yeah, agree production drops rapidly with WRs and RBs post-30, but there have been a few exceptions. He was simply he best WR the 'Ravens' (not Clowns) have ever had. A head scratcher, and then Flacco defended his salary stance. Good luck. Now teams will load the box on Rice. Fail.

-Kevin

WickerBill
03-12-13, 08:31 AM
More like "I'm sorry I beat you in the Super Bowl. Have a pretty darn good receiver as compensation. Love you Jimmy! --John"

chop456
03-12-13, 08:40 AM
Pay an above average quarterback a billion dollars, then dismantle the rest of the team. I like it. :thumbup:

I hope they go 0-20. Seems to be a theme this morning. :D

Gnam
03-13-13, 01:23 PM
The free agency sword cuts both ways:
TE Delanie Walker to the Titans.
Nose Tackle Isaac Sopoaga to the Eagles.
Safety Dashon Golson rumored to the Bucs.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/03/12/te-delanie-walker-signs-four-year-deal-with-titans/
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/03/12/nt-sopoaga-signs-with-eagles-ending-nine-season-run-with-niners/
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/03/12/woodson-could-replace-goldson-for-49ers/

These are good players. I'm glad they are getting paid, just wish it was with the 49ers.

Don Quixote
03-13-13, 01:39 PM
Pay an above average quarterback a billion dollars, then dismantle the rest of the team. I like it. :thumbup:

I hope they go 0-20. Seems to be a theme this morning. :DSo you even want them to lose all their preseason games too? That is harsh. :shakehead

chop456
03-14-13, 02:45 AM
Not only that. I also want them to lose faith, lose their spot in line and lose their car keys.

Luckily for you, Cleveland hasn't given me a reason to hate them.

Yet. :D

dando
03-14-13, 09:48 AM
No Welker in NE? Sucks for Inso. :gomer:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-14-13, 12:57 PM
Yet. :DI'm thinking this may be the Browns' year. :thumbup:

dando
03-14-13, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking this may be the Browns' year. :thumbup:

Dude, that will be your epitaph. :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-15-13, 01:42 PM
6th round pick? :saywhat: :shakehead:

Everyone knew they were going to cut him otherwise.

Insomniac
03-15-13, 01:51 PM
No Welker in NE? Sucks for Inso. :gomer:

-Kevin

I was disappointed when I saw he only got 2 years/$12M in Denver and was surprised NE offered only 2/$10M. I think they were trying to count the franchise tag money which is all kinds of BS. They didn't want him badly. Their stance is better to lose a guy 1 year early than keep him 1 year too many.

Prior to his leaving, my sense was that they'd risk it (but that was when I thought he wanted something like 3/$24M. Now they take a risk on a guy who has injury problems. Welker always got back up. If Amendola is healthy and Brady can work with him, I believe he will be every bit as productive (maybe a bit more considering he is taller, faster and has better hands).

But those are 2 big ifs. He hasn't proven to be healthy (and I don't know anyone who gets healthier as they age). Any Rams fans here? Freak injuries or is he injury prone? The list of WRs that couldn't get on the same page with Brady is much longer than the list of the ones who did. This is absolutely critical. They lost the known for the unknown with upside.

stroker
03-15-13, 02:57 PM
I'll be curious to know what Greg Jennings ultimately signs for... Reports are he wants $11m/year but I don't think that's going to happen in this market.

Don Quixote
03-15-13, 03:05 PM
According to the Bronco faithful, there is no need to even have a 2013 season. Just hand Peyon and Wes the SB trophy and have a parade.

Insomniac
03-15-13, 04:46 PM
According to the Bronco faithful, there is no need to even have a 2013 season. Just hand Peyon and Wes the SB trophy and have a parade.

Until Welker drops a catch, then you'll turn on him. ;)

Insomniac
03-15-13, 04:49 PM
I'll be curious to know what Greg Jennings ultimately signs for... Reports are he wants $11m/year but I don't think that's going to happen in this market.

Seems like there is some type of collusion going on. Mario Williams got 6/$100M, $50M guaranteed last year. No one has come close (beyond Flacco). The market for every position is seems lower.

So is this every NFL team waking up to a flat cap or collusion?

Don Quixote
03-15-13, 05:18 PM
Until Welker drops a catch, then you'll turn on him. ;) Bronco hater here. :D

dando
03-15-13, 05:39 PM
Bronco hater here. :D

In the closet. :gomer:

Don Q:

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2009/1205/20091205__PANTHERS-BRONCOS.B0207~p1.jpg

:D :p :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-15-13, 06:32 PM
Bronco hater here. :D

Sorry, they'll turn on him. ;) NE blames him for the Super Bowl and the AFC Championship this year. He drops like 10 balls a year (AFC Championship was a drop), what do people expect?

To add to your joy, They were trying to get Dumervil to take a pay cut, but had a 4 PM ET deadline before his salary was guaranteed. Denver cut him a 4, Dumervil sent them the paper work signed for the pay cut at 4:07 PM. Oops.

dando
03-15-13, 07:19 PM
Sorry, they'll turn on him. ;) NE blames him for the Super Bowl and the AFC Championship this year. He drops like 10 balls a year (AFC Championship was a drop), what do people expect?

To add to your joy, They were trying to get Dumervil to take a pay cut, but had a 4 PM ET deadline before his salary was guaranteed. Denver cut him a 4, Dumervil sent them the paper work signed for the pay cut at 4:07 PM. Oops.

Blame the altitude...or weed. ;)

-Kevin

Don Quixote
03-16-13, 12:14 PM
To add to your joy, They were trying to get Dumervil to take a pay cut, but had a 4 PM ET deadline before his salary was guaranteed. Denver cut him a 4, Dumervil sent them the paper work signed for the pay cut at 4:07 PM. Oops.On sportstalk radio this morning the story is that Dumervil never was that good, he is undersized, most of his sacks are due to other d-line players, we are glad he is leaving. I am not making this up.

dando
03-16-13, 01:13 PM
On sportstalk radio this morning the story is that Dumervil never was that good, he is undersized, most of his sacks are due to other d-line players, we are glad he is leaving. I am not making this up.

Srsly? He was their best DE/DT. Especially after they signed Warren, etc. from the Clowns and became the Browncos. :saywhat: :shakehead As I mentioned in my txt this AM, yahoos here wanted Matta's head on a stick a few weeks ago. :irked:

-Kevin

WickerBill
03-16-13, 09:44 PM
Srsly? He was their best DE/DT. Especially after they signed Warren, etc. from the Clowns and became the Browncos. :saywhat: :shakehead As I mentioned in my txt this AM, yahoos here wanted Matta's head on a stick a few weeks ago. :irked:

-Kevin

Dude. It's 2013. That was EIGHT YEARS AGO.

dando
03-16-13, 10:07 PM
Dude. It's 2013. That was EIGHT YEARS AGO.

You seriously want to defend those deadbeats they signed? :saywhat:

Denver Broncos
In March 2005, Warren was traded to the Denver Broncos for a fourth-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.[6] In addition to Warren, the Broncos also acquired defensive linemen Michael Myers, Ebenezer Ekuban, and Courtney Brown from the Browns, leading some to dub the new Broncos defensive line the "Browncos."[7] Warren finished the 2005 season with 42 tackles and three sacks in 16 starts. In 2006, Warren started 15 games and recorded 30 tackles and 2.5 sacks on the season.

Srsly? :laugh:

Cortney Brown == the biggest bust out of PSU since Ki-Jana Carter...or Kerry Collins...or Kyle Brady.

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-16-13, 11:13 PM
On sportstalk radio this morning the story is that Dumervil never was that good, he is undersized, most of his sacks are due to other d-line players, we are glad he is leaving. I am not making this up.

Sounds like Patriots fans. They turn fast when someone leaves.

chop456
03-17-13, 04:46 PM
:yuck:
You seriously want to defend those deadbeats they signed?

Srsly? :laugh:

Cortney Brown == the biggest bust out of PSU since Ki-Jana Carter...or Kerry Collins...or Kyle Brady.

-Kevin

You forgot Curtis Enis.

I haven't. :saywhat:

dando
03-17-13, 05:05 PM
:yuck:

You forgot Curtis Enis.

I haven't. :saywhat:

There's that one, too. Or as I called him by another name.... :D

-Kevin

dando
03-21-13, 06:40 AM
Get the tuck out.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9075058/nfl-owners-end-tuck-rule-approve-helmet-penalty

-Kevin

chop456
03-21-13, 07:03 AM
Get the tuck out.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9075058/nfl-owners-end-tuck-rule-approve-helmet-penalty

-Kevin

Crown of the helmet rule is beyond ridiculous. Looks like Walter Payton, Earl Campbell, Barry Sanders or Christian Okoye couldn't make it in today's game.

Replay rule only corrects what was wrong.

Net loss. :rolleyes:

dando
03-21-13, 07:45 AM
Put flags on them and wrap them in bubble wrap. :gomer: Unfortunately we live in a PC world these days. :irked:

-Kevin

dando
03-21-13, 09:33 AM
No more Urlacher in Chitown. :eek:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-21-13, 10:07 AM
The crown rule is probably good if it officiated well and consistently.

RBs will still need to get low and they can still use their face (see what you hit has been what we've taught kids since the 70s) and they can still use their shoulders, which is the classic technique taught until they started making better helmets.

Watch how Jim Brown or Jim Taylor ran back in the 60s and they were among the toughest and feared runners of their era.

dando
03-21-13, 10:12 AM

RBs will still need to get low and they can still use their face (see what you hit has been what we've taught kids since the 70s) and they can still use their shoulders, which is the classic technique taught until they started making better helmets.

Watch how Jim Brown or Jim Taylor ran back in the 60s and they were among the toughest and feared runners of their era.

Or Earl Campbell. :eek:

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-21-13, 11:36 PM

Seems like they'll be targeting guys who only lower their heads, not their shoulders/upper body.

The real solution may be getting rid of PEDs so they aren't quite as bigger/stronger/faster. I don't know what they can do about helmets, you don't want skull fractures instead.

WickerBill
03-22-13, 08:59 AM
You won't lead with your head (offense or defense) if you aren't wearing a weapon as a helmet. Put them back in soft helmets that only protect the wearer from the ground.

Insomniac
03-22-13, 09:17 AM
You won't lead with your head (offense or defense) if you aren't wearing a weapon as a helmet. Put them back in soft helmets that only protect the wearer from the ground.

After more than 100 high school and college football players in the 1960s were killed by skull fractures and acute brain bleeding, Nocsae was formed to protect players against the extreme forces that caused those injuries. The resulting standard, phased in by all levels of football through the 1970s, requires helmets to withstand a 60-inch free fall without allowing too much force to reach the skull.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/sports/football/21helmets.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The article is about helmet standards, but I don't think people want to forget why leather went away.

WickerBill
03-22-13, 10:26 AM
Then you have to explain to me how rugby works without brains on the field every single game.

Don Quixote
03-22-13, 05:07 PM
Nice job Bears, get rid of a class guy like Urlacher and replace him with DJ Williams. :rofl:

Insomniac
03-22-13, 06:04 PM
Then you have to explain to me how rugby works without brains on the field every single game.

Maybe it has to do with the number of collisions? 130-160 plays a game and it's more than ball carrier and tackler colliding on a given play. Perhaps the lack of any other padding?

Andrew Longman
03-22-13, 06:22 PM
Then you have to explain to me how rugby works without brains on the field every single game.Simple. In rugby it doesn't really matter if you are tackled for a one year gain or seven yard gain as long as you are tackled. Football, not so much. Totally different games and strategies.

Andrew Longman
03-22-13, 06:55 PM
:D
Seems like they'll be targeting guys who only lower their heads, not their shoulders/upper body.

The real solution may be getting rid of PEDs so they aren't quite as bigger/stronger/faster. I don't know what they can do about helmets, you don't want skull fractures instead.

I hope you are right.

I went looking for highlights of some of the great backs to show their form. The problem is when Marion Mötley and even Jim Brown played they were so much faster and more athletic, and they played when the best athletes were generally not playing on the defensive side, if you look at highlights most of the time they were just running past defenders.

But if you look at Czonka ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHX-obVmY5I&feature=youtube_gdata_player :D

Or Riggins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qERDq3mwWv8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Looking back at old film I see too that blocking was so much better and more disciplined. But the linemen were smaller too and could get out to the edge/the second level in time. The current 350# behemoths are never going to get out there before the a good running back.

chop456
03-25-13, 05:10 AM
Hey Don Q. Have fun with Kellen "Manos de Piedra" Davis. That guy couldn't catch a beach ball.

Don Quixote
03-27-13, 10:52 AM
Hey Don Q. Have fun with Kellen "Manos de Piedra" Davis. That guy couldn't catch a beach ball.I am sure he will be better in Cleveland. Players always seem to play better when they put on those orange helmets. :D

dando
03-27-13, 11:15 AM
I am sure he will be better in Cleveland. Players always seem to play better when they put on those orange helmets. :D

You've been partaking, I see. :p

-Kevin

Gnam
04-01-13, 05:49 PM
Um, wot?

Cleveland QB McCoy to 49ers

The 49ers continued to fill needs Monday, when they dealt a fifth- and seventh-round choice in this year’s NFL Draft for Browns quarterback Colt McCoy.

The 49ers also get a sixth round draft choice in the deal.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/04/01/49ers-trade-for-browns-quarterback-colt-mccoy/

nrc
04-01-13, 11:02 PM
Um, wot?

Hmm. What need are they filling again?

dando
04-02-13, 07:15 AM
Palmer to the Cards? :rofl: CP became a useless piece of **** after the playoff game against the Stealers. I firmly believe the Bungles would have won it all if that injury didn't happen, and CP had issues b/w the ears as a result. Dude, time to hang it up.

-Kevin

Insomniac
04-02-13, 05:46 PM
Hmm. What need are they filling again?

Backup QB I assume. Pretty cheap.

dando
04-02-13, 06:04 PM
Palmer to the Cards? :rofl: CP became a useless piece of **** after the playoff game against the Stealers. I firmly believe the Bungles would have won it all if that injury didn't happen, and CP had issues b/w the ears as a result. Dude, time to hang it up.

-Kevin

7th round pick. :rofl:

-Kevin

dando
04-14-13, 09:28 AM
Oh my.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9169964/james-harrison-cincinnati-bengals-working-deal-source

Harrison would an excellent addition. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-15-13, 11:42 AM
He should fit right in with the Bungles fine management program.

More seriously, I have a lot of respect for Harrison's approach to the game but I expect given his age he can't play that way much longer. Given their cap s intubation I am not surprised by their move on this. I just expected Harrison to end up in Oakland as an overpaid has been.

Don Quixote
04-18-13, 02:31 PM
If the Browns draft Alex Smith, no bridge abutment will be safe from my truck going 100 mph.

stroker
04-19-13, 09:43 PM
Season schedules are out. Let the whining begin.

The Packers are playing an awful lot of NFC East teams.

nrc
04-19-13, 11:58 PM
Harrison ends up a Bengal in large part because Dumervil ended up a Raven because someone in Denver couldn't operate a fax machine.

Strange days indeed.

Insomniac
04-22-13, 02:01 PM
Revis to TB. $16M/yr for 6 years, no guarantees.

dando
04-23-13, 03:51 PM
Bmore found their new Ray Lewis:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9202642/cops-allege-rolando-mcclain-baltimore-ravens-shouted-obscenities

-Kevin

dando
04-23-13, 03:53 PM
Revis to TB. $16M/yr for 6 years, no guarantees.

Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL other than the up front ca$h/signing bonu$. I wish the MLB was like that.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-23-13, 03:59 PM
Revis to TB. $16M/yr for 6 years, no guarantees.Jets get 13th overall this year and a conditional in 2014.

Well the Jets get away from paying him (sort of ) but for the guy who was their savior just a short while ago (and TB is willing to pay $16M, yes not guarenteed) that isn't much to get back.

If you are wondering why Tebow is still a Jet and Revis is not this is a good explanation and good description of how messed up the Jets are. http://www.businessinsider.com/why-tim-tebow-is-still-on-the-jets-2013-4

WickerBill
04-23-13, 05:12 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0423/nfl_e_Jags301jr_576.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8262/8674988357_6656f29e8a_b.jpg

Andrew Longman
04-24-13, 09:33 AM
Dolphins too

http://www.local10.com/sports/Miami-Dolphins-new-uniforms-leaked-online/-/1717082/19863248/-/10ibllz/-/index.html

dando
04-24-13, 09:52 AM
When did the NFL become the XFL? :saywhat:

-Kevin

nrc
04-24-13, 01:48 PM
Stupid helmet. How long until every home uniform in the league is black?

Napoleon
04-24-13, 02:53 PM
When did the NFL become the XFL? :saywhat:

-Kevin

Could be worse - they could be taking their cues from the lingerie football league.

dando
04-24-13, 02:58 PM
Could be worse - they could be taking their cues from the lingerie football league.

I would prefer that...just not the OL/DL. ;)

-Kevib

WickerBill
04-24-13, 05:49 PM
Anyone else watch "Elway to Marino" last night?

TravelGal
04-25-13, 12:56 AM

I didn't but the sports announcers on the San Diego station were falling all over themselves about it. Calling it a home run, if you don't mind the mixed metaphor. Great on-air interviews with the writer/producer. What did you think of it?

dando
04-25-13, 04:23 AM

Got it recorded. Will watch it later today. Mike & MIKE were drooling over it yesterday AM.

-Kevin

dando
04-27-13, 12:58 AM
Chuckles.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9216135/2013-nfl-draft-new-york-jets-pick-geno-smith-second-round

The mess in NYC. :rofl:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-27-13, 12:09 PM
Chuckles.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9216135/2013-nfl-draft-new-york-jets-pick-geno-smith-second-round

The mess in NYC. :rofl:

-Kevin

As a Giants fan, yes chuckles.

I thought before last season Rex would get fired last year but the Jets couldn't even do that right, instead leaving him in place with a lame duck contract and a new GM who will not fall on his sword for him.

Worse this draft has Rex all over it. Not surprised. The new GM surely want to give him the rope to hang himself.

Too bad for Gino though. There are enough questions about him he would have done better in Philly or such with a vet in front of him to mentor him for a year or so and then develop without the pressure and soap oprahs around him. The Jets is about the very worst place he could go.

dando
04-27-13, 12:37 PM
The Jets is about the very worst place he could go.

Cleveburgh? :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
04-27-13, 01:49 PM
Simon to the Ravens. :grumbles: Good pick up for Bmore.

-Kevin

G.
04-27-13, 03:36 PM
Stupid question time, regarding the crown/helmet rule:

Isn't a compression hit less likely than a forehead snap to cause spinal injuries? Won't leading with your face cause more self-injuries than spearing?

Andrew Longman
04-27-13, 06:31 PM
Cleveburgh? :gomer:

-Kevin

Nah. Screw up in Cleveland and not a lot of people are paying attention. The media market in NYC will even scrutinize how you wear your ballcap and hold the clipboard as you ride the bench. Seven daily newspapers and three sports radio stations will do that. It gets absolutely silly and the Jets seem determined to play into the des hysteria rather than fly under the radar/keep no drama as the Giants and Yankees and devils do.

It can be crushing to athletes young and old. Ask Sanchez

dando
04-27-13, 06:39 PM
Nah. Screw up in Cleveland and not a lot of people are paying attention. The media market in NYC will even scrutinize how you wear your ballcap and hold the clipboard as you ride the bench. Seven daily newspapers and three sports radio stations will do that. It gets absolutely silly and the Jets seem determined to play into the des hysteria rather than fly under the radar/keep no drama as the Giants and Yankees and devils do.

It can be crushing to athletes young and old. Ask Sanchez

Ah well, I know of Cleveburgh fans who were standing on the ledge if Geno was picked by the Clowns....specifically one in Denver (who was last seen cutting his wrists last night watching the Nuggies). :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Gnam
04-27-13, 08:43 PM
Stupid question time, regarding the crown/helmet rule:

Isn't a compression hit less likely than a forehead snap to cause spinal injuries? Won't leading with your face cause more self-injuries than spearing?

I haven't seen any bio-mechanical arguments in favor of the heads-up method, nor do I know if a spine has more capacity to be crushed or bent backwards. They say their goal is to reduce or prevent concussions. My guess is they hope the heads-up method will make people feel vulnerable, slowing them down and lowering the amount of force in the collisions. Less force, less chance of a concussion.

If the NFL has to choose between less violence and less money, they'll rename the sport cuddle ball and draft 50 year old female running backs to scamper through fields of daisies.

stroker
04-28-13, 10:40 AM
So who's got the best synopsis of which teams did well or poorly in the draft?

dando
04-28-13, 11:19 AM
So who's got the best synopsis of which teams did well or poorly in the draft?

E$PN.com has their assessments locked down under Insider. :saywhat: SI.com has some decent assessments:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1621026-nfl-draft-2013-results-biggest-winners-losers-of-the-nfl-draft

Bmore got a steal with John Simon in the 4th. Dude has a motor beyond belief. He would wear the C on a hockey team. Big Hank slipped to the G-Men..good for him team wise, but not for the pocket book. tOSU DLs were fantastic last season.

-Kevin

nrc
04-28-13, 02:56 PM
Sporting News eval. Beware the auto-play video, I hate that.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-04-27/nfl-draft-2013-grades-team-by-team-analysis-report-card-steelers-eagles