PDA

View Full Version : Snopes for spyware

WickerBill
02-18-13, 08:21 AM
After spending, quite literally, 15 hours cleaning a friend-of-the-spouse's (who I find highly annoying) computer from over 300 spyware/virus/adware/malware infections, including FOUR rootkits, I got to wondering...

Is there a Snopes-like service somewhere on the web that I could point the uneducated, non-tech-savvy people to and tell them "you must double-check your stupid smiley-face browser add-on against this site before you install it, or you will get crapwared again"?

I can't find anything, and it makes me want to start one. IT community-fed, including removal instructions for some of the worst offenders. Is there something out there that I'm unable to find?

nrc
02-18-13, 09:58 AM
Firefox is supposed to have phishing and malware checking built in since version 3. I can't swear to it since I don't seem to go to those sites.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/phishing-protection/

SteveH
02-18-13, 10:10 AM
I have no idea as to the effectiveness of this. All I know is that it is free.
http://home.mcafee.com/downloads/free-virus-scan?ctst=1

devilmaster
02-18-13, 01:44 PM
bleeping computer is the only thing i can find closest to what you want.

When I go and clean someones computer, if theres something I run across that i want to make sure i remove, a quick search at www.bleepingcomputer.com usually finds a thread that guides me how to remove it properly and fully

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/

G.
02-18-13, 02:24 PM
I try very hard to ONLY DL executables from CNET.com, but lately, even this site has crap bundled into the DLs, or shady programs available.

Add-ons only come from Mozilla (or CNET).

Seems like reasonable precautions, but then add the children factor. :D

So far, I've been able to resist the total lockdown, with separate admin login, but I may have to change this.

I see one minor flaw in your plan, WB, you are relying on people to actually check first, before hitting "OK". If we can get people to use The Google before installing stuff, then there wouldn't be a need for your proposed site (though I will admit, one can get overloaded with tech jargon searching out applications).

If there was an overlay app that prevented known bad stuff from installing, even when we say it's ok, that might help. We could call it "virus protection". ;)

What about a "VP" app that I can customize from a global-user-defined black/grey list? A Do Not Install protection program that prevents, say, Chrome from being installed every ****ing week. :mad:

Your proposal almost enters into open-source virus protection, but as a manual process. If this existed in nature, would that have protected your friend-of-spouse?

Just rambling.

WickerBill
02-18-13, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure.

But as an example of what I'm looking for, check out processlibrary.com . Got something you can see in Task Manager that you don't recognize? Go look it up and find out if it's good or crap.

I completely agree that average user won't go there because I can't force them to. However, I could tell them (customers, not friends) "if I get to your disabled machine and you've installed something that <crapware blacklist> website says not to install, it'll cost you double time."

Probably unrealistic.

stroker
02-18-13, 09:09 PM
My computer geek buddy at work swears by Avast and Clamwin. That's all I know.

chop456
02-19-13, 02:31 AM
Install Open DNS and block their access to everything. ;)

WickerBill
02-19-13, 09:15 AM
chop, that is an excellent idea. I absolutely should have done that. I have an account, but I could make a new profile specifically for my stupid click-happy friends.

nrc
02-20-13, 02:11 PM
I was going to suggest telling them to buy a Mac or Chromebook but then there's news of a new Mac malware. Still, I think Macs are still, in general, less likely to get infected even if in part just because they're less targeted.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2013/02/20/malware-bites-apples-macintosh.html

Of course it's really Java's fault. Can we kill at the use of Java in browsers already? There's really no excuse for it any more.

Elmo T
02-20-13, 02:41 PM
Of course it's really Java's fault. Can we kill at the use of Java in browsers already? There's really no excuse for it any more.

And reading the "Java is EVERYWHERE" message every time I get forced into an update doesn't help. :saywhat:

cameraman
02-20-13, 03:37 PM
Can we kill at the use of Java in browsers already? There's really no excuse for it any more.

Apple keeps trying. They sneek onto your machine at night and shut it off.

Of course I can't clock in to work without it...