PDA

View Full Version : Princess permapout goes fast

dando
02-16-13, 07:32 PM
http://www.nerdist.com/2013/02/report-harrison-ford-to-return-as-han-solo-in-star-wars-episode-vii/

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Danica Patrick turned attention from her personal life to her driving Saturday.

The 30-year-old Stewart-Haas Racing driver topped the second Sprint Cup practice with a fast lap of 196.220 mph, raising the possibility of her becoming on Sunday the first female to win the pole for the Daytona 500 on Feb. 24.

:eek:

-Kevin

chop456
02-16-13, 07:49 PM
Anyone who believes that she'll be fast or win without intervention may want to audit nascar/irl 101.

SteveH
02-16-13, 09:15 PM
Mordichai Rosen called it, if so.

Shadow
02-17-13, 03:05 PM
So far so good today.

Hope she stays in that 1st slot and pisses Harvick off. :)

S

dando
02-17-13, 04:41 PM
She's. Just. That. Good. :gomer:

Lap 1, Turn 1...The. Big. One. :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
02-17-13, 05:09 PM
^^If Milka can start on the front row of the ARCA race and last 10 laps in the lead, then there's hope for Sparklepony, right?

And I may have to avoid the sports media this week. The all-Danica, all the time nonsense is going to get old.

nissan gtp
02-17-13, 06:27 PM
^^If Milka can start on the front row of the ARCA race and last 10 laps in the lead, then there's hope for Sparklepony, right?

And I may have to avoid the sports media this week. The all-Danica, all the time nonsense is going to get old.

it's been old for a while

Racing Truth
02-17-13, 08:44 PM

Look, the sports media will be awful enough. Cable news, OTOH, will literally destroy brain cells this week.:shakehead

Combined with normal Oscars coverage, and this week will set records w/ vapidity.:gomer:

gerhard911
02-17-13, 11:04 PM
I get the news I need on the weather report.
I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/s/simon+and+garfunkel/the+only+living+boy+in+new+york_20124618.html

RTKar
02-17-13, 11:18 PM
Another nascar miracle! :rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
02-17-13, 11:54 PM
Another nascar miracle! :rolleyes:Yeah. I'd like to take a look at her restrictor plate. Given the amount of press this will give the series this week when they desperately need better business results than last year makes me go "hmmmmmmm" :rolleyes:

emjaya
02-18-13, 07:16 AM
She made the six o'clock news over here.

stroker
02-18-13, 11:58 AM
She hasn't figured out The Narrative yet. She's destined to be the beautiful princess who was TRAGICALLY never able to fulfill her potential because of all that BIAS and HATE that resulted in her continually wrecking car after car after car...

Wheel-Nut
02-18-13, 12:38 PM
Meanwhile . . . . at Dale Jr.'s Whiskey River Saloon, drivers are holding a secret meeting to devise a plan on how to take her out before she make a mockery of the sacred sport of stock car racin'.

Gnam
02-18-13, 02:48 PM
New paint scheme for the sparklepony?

http://s3.postimage.org/x0c5ztz3n/3487364324_65eebab2cd.jpg

Racing Truth
02-18-13, 08:03 PM
So, I'm watching Sportscenter at 9:30am today and 3 of the 7 stories on their sidebar were... Danica-related.:cry:

Winston Wolfe
02-18-13, 08:59 PM
I don't know how the crowds have been in recent years, but I saw a bit of the Bud Shoot Out on Sat night, errr, I mean the SPRINT shoot out, and saw that the entire grandstands on the back straight were doing their best impersonation of an EARL crowd, or perhaps all the fans dressed in aluminum....
the front straight and grandstands were 50% vacant as well....

looks like sparklepony is going to have to bring back the fans to another series and save this one too....

emjaya
02-20-13, 10:39 PM
Making the papers everywhere.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/feb/20/danica-patrick-nascar-daytona-500

TravelGal
02-21-13, 02:24 AM
I don't know how the crowds have been in recent years, but I saw a bit of the Bud Shoot Out on Sat night, errr, I mean the SPRINT shoot out, and saw that the entire grandstands on the back straight were doing their best impersonation of an EARL crowd, or perhaps all the fans dressed in aluminum....
the front straight and grandstands were 50% vacant as well....

looks like sparklepony is going to have to bring back the fans to another series and save this one too....

:laugh::laugh: Good to see you back here WW.

Andrew Longman
02-21-13, 02:22 PM
She hasn't figured out The Narrative yet. She's destined to be the beautiful princess who was TRAGICALLY never able to fulfill her potential because of all that BIAS and HATE that resulted in her continually wrecking car after car after car...She does seem to bend a lot of sheet metal. Funny thing is that in her time in open wheelers, say what you want about her, but she tended to be easy on equipment and usually finished.

And Winston, that's the "Sprint Unlimited" ;)

And yes there was a lot of aluminum watching the race. That's why I wouldnt be surprised if the princess go a special plate. Might also explain why Jeff Gordon was so surprised why he suddenly went so fast in qualifying.

gerhard911
02-21-13, 02:37 PM
She does seem to bend a lot of sheet metal. Funny thing is that in her time in open wheelers, say what you want about her, but she tended to be easy on equipment and usually finished.

As I recall, not so much on her pit crew... :rolleyes:

Wheel-Nut
02-21-13, 05:55 PM
She played it safe today and drove to the back of the pack within 10 laps.

Andrew Longman
02-21-13, 09:58 PM
As I recall, not so much on her pit crew... :rolleyes:True that. She seems to have changed that some too. At least in public she has seemed gracious in her comments about her crew and quit trashing them on camera.

gerhard911
02-22-13, 12:04 AM
True that. She seems to have changed that some too. At least in public she has seemed gracious in her comments about her crew and quit trashing them on camera.

I was thinking more aboot her running their arse over in pit lane. But you raise another good point as well...

cameraman
02-24-13, 05:04 PM
This race is akin to watching paint dry. I've never seen so many commercials before...

trish
02-24-13, 05:47 PM
Danica wins 8th place. So far the only driver interviewed on live tv.

Hard Driver
02-24-13, 06:32 PM
Good for Danica.

Andrew Longman
02-24-13, 09:45 PM
This race is akin to watching paint dry. I've never seen so many commercials before...Yup.

I couldnt figure out if that last debris caution was because Danica got out of line and was about to shuffle back a dozen positions or because the race went so fast they still needed to stuff another commercial in.

Same for the first debris caution which seemed to be to get debris off of Gordon's overheating car.

It was refreshing however to see a few mechanical failures. These cars have become too bulletproof, except for Goodyear tires that always seem to go flat. I like to see teams pushing engineering limits and drivers needing to be careful with the hardware.

Rex Karz
02-24-13, 10:06 PM
Danica has now wonned both Mindy and Daytonner. 4th at Mindy and 8th at Daytonner. And Daytonner is half the race that Mindy is. :gomer::tony:

Andrew Longman
02-24-13, 10:42 PM
First woman to lead a lap at both 500s.

:gomer:

opinionated ow
02-25-13, 09:56 AM
this is more Danica 500 than Daytona 500...how big was her restrictor plate?

NismoZ
02-25-13, 10:01 AM
Any of you see her drive at Road America last year?

Chief
02-25-13, 10:55 AM
She's a coaster. Earnhardt WENT for it on last lap, she didn't. That's Sparklepony's career in a nutshell. Just another gutless performance of hanging on until the next half-clad Go-Daddy photo shoot.

Don Quixote
02-25-13, 11:43 AM
I love the way that her handlers are trying to rebrand her as "funny" and "likeable". Good luck with that.

trish
02-25-13, 02:54 PM
Any of you see her drive at Road America last year?

Nope.

Elmo T
02-25-13, 04:14 PM
Haters! ;)

Danica Patrick: Sprint Cup Rookie Gives NASCAR, Daytona 500 Breath of Fresh Air (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1542291-danica-patrick-sprint-cup-rookie-gives-nascar-daytona-500-breath-of-fresh-air?hpt=hp_t3)

I have several friends who said their daughters - NOT race fans - were enthralled by Danica. Not sure why THIS year and not previously.

My daughter loved Danica in OWR, but she couldn't care less about NASCAR. If it means that my daughter gets a "girl power" ego boost - whether Danica, Sarah Fisher, Legge, whomever - I am OK with that. Girls can do anything. And that includes acting like a spoiled rotten brat who stomps around and blames others. :rolleyes:

Mary
02-25-13, 07:10 PM
I never watched the IRL or Indycar of whatever they're calling themselves now, so I can't and won't comment on Danica Patrick's performance there. I did come here and read many of your opinions; gave me a chuckle, but I hated (continue to hate) the IRL so much that I didn't care beyond that.

Personally, I've always felt that she saved the league. If she hadn't come along I don't think they'd still be around. I'll leave that alone now.

I used to follow NASCAR more until Earnhardt was killed. They acted so badly after that, I quit watching. Missed the rise of most of the drivers who dominate it now. I only started watching again when Montoya left McLaren to drive there and I tend to zone out or just change the channel when he is out of a race. Which is most of the time. When she started running Nationwide full time last year, I started watching it. (I'll admit to trying to watch the awful trucks to see Piquet the Younger.) I'll pay more attention to cabs this year because of her. I'll only quit watching when both Monty & she are out of a race, LOL!

Seriously, I'd like to see them both do well. Won't make me a big NASCAR fan, but FWIW I will be watching.

On another, but related topic: on the ESPN show Around the Horn they were discussing the significance of Danica's run yesterday. After they ooohhed and aahhed about her finish, one of them mentioned that she had a top 5 finish in the Indy 500 that shouldn't be discounted. Another writer, one of the older ones, then replied that the Daytona 500 was by far the biggest race in the USA; he went out of his way to emphasize that while all but pooh-poohing Indy.

I haven't seen the Indy 500 since 1995 and I don't intend on watching it anytime soon. But it has been run almost twice as long as Daytona. It is too bad that used to mean something, even to casual fans. Now it is less than nothing. An accomplishment there is not even worth comparing to an 8th place finish at Daytona.

Great job, Tony.

Mary

Andrew Longman
02-25-13, 08:19 PM
Since 1995 the I500 has more often been a much more interesting and entertaining race than the D500. FWIW. Not that it is saying much.

Don't be too quick to poo poo the trucks. If you can get past the notion that they are "trucks", that formula has consistently produced the best, not manufactured racing in NASCAR the last many years.

Elmo I concur on your Danica comments. Her first year in Atlantics Trevor stood in a line of about five people to get her to sign one of her team cards so he could take it home to his little sister. She still has it on the wall of her room, and she was a motivating force for a lot of years, even if now at 17 she is a bit more jaded about her and surely values the Legge autograph more.

That all said, even at the worst of the IRL Danica hype they didn't do "gentlemen and Danica start your engines" as they did yesterday, nor did she have her own separate leader board on the tee vee so we would always know her standing. :shakehead

DagoFast
02-26-13, 01:00 AM
Don't be too quick to poo poo the trucks. If you can get past the notion that they are "trucks", that formula has consistently produced the best, not manufactured racing in NASCAR the last many years.

I've always been at a loss to explain why neither NASCAR or better yet, the manufacturers pushed for the trucks to be the top of the heap and made them the choice for Cup. I mean really: how many Impala's is GM going to sell this year Vs. Silverado's? How many F150's Vs. what ever Ford car runs? Perhaps I can see 'Yoda's disagreement with this point with their huge sales of the Camry, but they are a Johnnie come lately to Cup and to fullsize trucks. Besides, I doubt Camry buyers snap them up because Kyle Busch races one...maybe in spite of it.

Mary
02-26-13, 06:47 PM
Since 1995 the I500 has more often been a much more interesting and entertaining race than the D500. FWIW. Not that it is saying much.

The I500 racing may be better, but I don't care. It could make F1 look like the soap box derby (not to diss them) and I still wouldn't watch it.

When I see those trucks, I see racing mini-vans in the future. Don't know why, LOL.

Mary

NismoZ
02-27-13, 01:33 PM
NASVANS!:thumbup:

Gnam
02-27-13, 02:37 PM
On the radio this morning Jimmie Johnson was referred to not as the Daytona 500 winner but as the man that beat Danica.

:laugh:

stroker
02-27-13, 02:45 PM
I see racing mini-vans in the future. Don't know why, LOL.

Mary

What would be the point? They'd all be rear wheel drive... :shakehead

Racing Truth
02-27-13, 03:59 PM
I love the way that her handlers are trying to rebrand her as "funny" and "likeable". Good luck with that.

You know what's sad? It's kind of working. On camera, she's finally starting to seem likable. I hated everything about last week, but she didn't do anything to irritate me more. Maybe jumping to NASCAR gave her a reset, but Danica 3.0 comes off... OK anyhow. Genuine? H=ll, I still can't figure out who/what the real Danica is. Does she know at this point?

Oh well, people like her again all the same. Somewhere, Anne Hathaway's people must be muttering about the injustice of it all.:\