PDA

View Full Version : Only in Wisconsin

Don Quixote
02-12-13, 12:46 PM
Milwaukee resolution to use cheese brine as a supplement to rock salt on city streets. :rofl:

link (http://milwaukee.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1283087&GUID=98A1B73E-D056-4392-B40B-F5DEAEE6741C)

Andrew Longman
02-12-13, 01:02 PM
Isn't cheese brine used to make whey protein? I would think that is a more profitable use.

Don Quixote
02-12-13, 01:33 PM
I think they just want to be able to say that the streets are lined with cheese. :D

cameraman
02-12-13, 01:35 PM
I hope they plan on filtering it first because you will have some rancid streets if they don't. Even then there is a relatively large amount of dissolved proteins & other sludge in used cheese brine. You let it dry and you'll have a layer of rather scummy salt left behind. Spent brines are considered hazardous wastes for a reason.

cameraman
02-12-13, 01:37 PM
Isn't cheese brine used to make whey protein? I would think that is a more profitable use.

The whey is liquid and is removed at the start of the process when the milk curdles. The brine is used after the vast majority of the whey has been removed.

Napoleon
02-12-13, 03:21 PM
I swear I heard on TV someone saying weeks or months ago that they are using that or something like in here in Ohio.

Andrew Longman
02-12-13, 04:18 PM
The whey is liquid and is removed at the start of the process when the milk curdles. The brine is used after the vast majority of the whey has been removed.Thanks.

I heard a radio piece a bit ago about it used to be thrown away or given away to pig farmers to use as feed. Now because whey protein is getting so popular cheese producers are in some cases making more money from the whey than the cheese. But it takes massive filtration tanks and stuff.

Tifosi24
02-13-13, 11:54 AM
I hope they plan on filtering it first because you will have some rancid streets if they don't. Even then there is a relatively large amount of dissolved proteins & other sludge in used cheese brine. You let it dry and you'll have a layer of rather scummy salt left behind. Spent brines are considered hazardous wastes for a reason.

After spending two winters in Milwaukee during grad school, they already put ungodly mixtures of salt that will eat through a pair on tennis shoes in three months, so I don't think adding more hazardous waste to the situation will have much impact. No one will notice the smell either with the breweries, malt plants, and rendering plant (smell that made for great comic relief when the rich girls from Chicago smelt it for the first time).