PDA

View Full Version : Sales taxes for IMS

cameraman
02-08-13, 11:41 PM
So if this passes every time Spicoli runs up a bar tab entertaining friends and business relations in Indianapolis he will be paying a tax specifically allocated to fixing up the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the next 20 years. So the more Spicoli drinks the more money the Hulman clan gets:rofl:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130208/NEWS/130208035/Indianapolis-Motor-Speedway-seeks-state-aid-up-100M-improvements?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|IndyStar.co m&nclick_check=1

TravelGal
02-09-13, 03:23 AM
So if this passes every time Spicoli runs up a bar tab entertaining friends and business relations in Indianapolis he will be paying a tax specifically allocated to fixing up the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the next 20 years. So the more Spicoli drinks the more money the Hulman clan gets:rofl:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130208/NEWS/130208035/Indianapolis-Motor-Speedway-seeks-state-aid-up-100M-improvements?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|IndyStar.co m&nclick_check=1

Now that IS funny. Ironic in the extreme. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Mary
02-09-13, 02:23 PM
Is there any chance the Indiana General Assembly will take a pass on this one? Be still my heart. I know, not likely. I am a little surprised they've not complied with the Americans with Disabilities Act after all these years.

But the IMS long has prided itself on its independence, especially since Terre Haute businessman Tony Hulman bought the track for $750,000 back in 1945. ... Now, the company would join others in town in using public money for its sports facility.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not to be Captain Obvious but I wonder what has changed?

Mary

mapguy
02-09-13, 07:21 PM
An article on the Speedway in the IndyStar and what do they use as a photo at the brickyard? NASCAR at the brickyard. Good job Tony. :tony:

G.
02-09-13, 07:34 PM
An article on the Speedway in the IndyStar and what do they use as a photo at the brickyard? NASCAR at the brickyard. Good job Tony. :tony:

IBJ's is even better.

http://www.ibj.com/ext/resources/IBJ-Daily/00-2012/07-July/grandam-speedway-072712-2col.jpg

Andrew Longman
02-09-13, 09:17 PM
Didn't the faithful over at crackforum always crow about tony not taking a dime of public money. Strange tha the Mecca of Motorsport now needs public help to be "competitive".

Dvdb
02-09-13, 11:44 PM
I'd stick my toe in the water of I owned the Speedway. Everyone else is doing it and the relative cost is minimal. New Rams stadium will be a billion.

Indy
02-10-13, 04:55 PM
Spicoli doesn't pay for bar tabs.

Rex Karz
02-10-13, 10:55 PM
Didn't the faithful over at crackforum always crow about tony not taking a dime of public money. Strange tha the Mecca of Motorsport now needs public help to be "competitive".

If a sports franchise or facility can't stand on its own financial legs, it should bow to the economic winds, fall, and die, and not survive just by suckling the teat of public finance.

Gnam
02-11-13, 12:17 AM
16th and Georgetown really is a black hole. A bottomless pit of suck. :shakehead

DagoFast
02-12-13, 01:04 AM
I'm fine with it as long as we can refer to it as a "death tax."

emjaya
02-12-13, 08:02 AM
As a point of interest, anybody want to have a stab at working out how much money the IMS and the Indy 500 have brought into the economy of Indiana.

Andrew Longman
02-12-13, 12:48 PM
As a point of interest, anybody want to have a stab at working out how much money the IMS and the Indy 500 have brought into the economy of Indiana.Compared to what? Do those other enterprises receive public funding?

Take the various GM plants around the state in Muncie, Bedford, Kokomo, etc. and figure that each job is likely to produce ten jobs in the area. (that seems to be a accepted conversion for manufacturing jobs)

What year round jobs does IMS create by comparison?

Chief
02-12-13, 01:22 PM
They don't promote the motorcycle race, the 400 is boring as watching an egg fry on the sidewalk and the 500 is the centerpiece for the failure of AOW and all that entails.

The mystique of Indy has been ravaged so it's not fun or even remotely interesting for the great unwashed anymore.

This is throwing good money after bad...and TAXPAYER $$$ at that. Very bad idea...it's their own (IMS) fault for the condition of the slumdog speedway. Unless folks stopped buying Clabber Girl or using that oil in the ground the Hulman's are extracting, ITs THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to fix the joint up, not the public's.

They want to own it and control it, well, they are going to have to pay for it.

Chief
02-15-13, 01:36 PM
Nice readup (http://www.advanceindiana.blogspot.com/2013/02/indiana-taxpayers-forced-to-pay-for.html)

Kudos to Spicoli for digging this up at Smack:thumbup:

Napoleon
02-15-13, 02:01 PM
Nice readup (http://www.advanceindiana.blogspot.com/2013/02/indiana-taxpayers-forced-to-pay-for.html)

Kudos to Spicoli for digging this up at Smack:thumbup:

Interesting. Of course the ADA does not require you to retrofit to be ADA complient, so that is fairly clearly a BS fig leaf for them (note an exception, if you are doing other work where the retrofit is a natural part of it you then have to retrofit - example, you renovate the bathrooms, so you may then have to place mirror and sinks and stalls in those bathrooms into complience).

Gnam
02-15-13, 02:16 PM
J.R. Ewing he's not.

The first few paragraphs do sound like an episode of 'Dallas' only not as good and retarded. :tony:

Elmo T
02-15-13, 03:52 PM
Tony Hulman left but one heir besides his elderly wife, a homely and unaccomplished daughter, Mary, whose only claim to fame was marrying a washed up former race car driver, Elmer George.

This ought to be a good read. :laugh:

Andrew Longman
02-15-13, 07:18 PM
This ought to be a good read. :laugh:It is.

How sad that the potential of the place and race was squandered on such dimwits with so much more money and booze than brains.

SteveH
02-15-13, 07:36 PM
It is.

How sad that the potential of the place and race was squandered on such dimwits with so much more money and booze than brains.

So now they get tax revenues to fix the place up. :irked:

TKGAngel
02-15-13, 08:27 PM
Daytime TV isn't as juicy as that blog post. Death, divorce, newspaper reporters getting caught inflagrante delicto; all that's missing is an evil twin.

Andrew Longman
02-15-13, 10:40 PM
Daytime TV isn't as juicy as that blog post. Death, divorce, newspaper reporters getting caught inflagrante delicto; all that's missing is an evil twin.Or a dream sequence. Maybe we've just been sleeping through a nightmare since 1995. :tony: