PDA

View Full Version : Snowmageddon 2013

trish
02-07-13, 10:13 PM
There's supposedly a huge snow storm headed toward the northeast and they are predicting blizzard conditions and snowfall of up to 2 feet in some areas. We haven't really had a major winter storm since 2011 when we kept getting bombarded with them seemingly every week.

Is this storm in your path? How much are they predicting for you? How much have you gotten so far?

dando
02-07-13, 11:16 PM
Srsly?!? Haven't heard anything about it. <queue Elmo>

;)

-Kevin

TravelGal
02-08-13, 01:37 AM
I heard that Jim Cantore is in Boston. That's all I need to know.

Andrew Longman
02-08-13, 04:46 AM
Predicting up to 18" for Frenchtown.

But I am stuck in Saskatoon. (wasn't that a Guess Who song?) Flights to Newark all cancelled and the best I can do is fly into Philly at 11:30 Saturday night.

Elmo T
02-08-13, 09:16 AM

Storm total forecast has dropped overnight - but not going to get you home quicker. :(

http://i45.tinypic.com/ka1ab7.png

TKGAngel
02-08-13, 09:44 AM

But I am stuck in Saskatoon. (wasn't that a Guess Who song?) Flights to Newark all cancelled and the best I can do is fly into Philly at 11:30 Saturday night.

I think the Guess Who ran back to Saskatoon. Find a TV tomorrow and watch some hockey. CBC has it on all day.

We're supposed to get 5-7" on the back edge of the storm. Who knows how it will shake out as the forecast keeps changing.

dando
02-08-13, 10:21 AM
The forecast is still very fluid, and frankly, I don't trust any forecasts made these days. The models for Nemo (naming these storms is just plain silly :saywhat:) have been all over the map. I'm guessing the forecast for Buffalo is based on the northern part of the storm since lake effect snow shouldn't affect Buffalo with the winds coming from the east/NE. Let the fun begin. :saywhat: TWC to have an updated snowfall forecast in a few. It looks like they did drop the max snowfall for the Boston area from 2-3' to possibly 2'.

-Kevin

dando
02-08-13, 10:23 AM
Oh, and wx pr0n...gotta love it. :gomer: Expect a population boost in about 9 mos. :D

-Kevin

cameraman
02-08-13, 12:57 PM

Philly or Saskatoon. Like you even have to think about that....

http://www.aasaskatoon.org/img/Saskatoon_Skyline_Night.jpg

Andrew Longman
02-08-13, 02:30 PM
Philly or Saskatoon. Like you even have to think about that...Sure. Took a long walk along the river this morning. About 5F and bright sunshine. Beautiful.

My family thinks I am nuts. But I will take it over 35F and freezing rain all winter in Jersey any day. I sought out 300" snowfall winters in Marquette, MI to live years back and would live there (or Duluth) happily today except my wife was born in Bogata and raised in San Juan and she is Greek. There is no antifreeze in her blood.

Last month when I found out I was going to Saskatoon in February and couldn't stop giggling she just shook her head and reminded me I was free to move north... Without her.

WickerBill
02-08-13, 03:04 PM
Yeah, your wife has three built-in strikes against the snow. Colombia has some high spots that get snow though, right? But not PR...

trish
02-08-13, 05:50 PM
Maybe we've gotten 4 to 5 inches so far. That's based solely on my visual calculation. It's supposed to get worse later this evening but who knows. Hopefully we can avoid power outages.

cameraman
02-08-13, 07:05 PM
So looking at all the available weather information sources and combining the ranges provided I know that I should expect between 1 and 30 inches of snow in a storm that will end between Saturday night and Monday night:saywhat:

But ours remains blissfully nameless:rolleyes:

dando
02-08-13, 07:10 PM
So looking at all the available weather information sources and combining the ranges provided I know that I should expect between 1 and 30 inches of snow in a storm that will end between Saturday night and Monday night:saywhat:

But ours remains blissfully nameless:rolleyes:

Yeah, the flipping models they showed the other were all over the map, literally. :saywhat: Stick to the GFS and Euro models.

-Kevin

Ankf00
02-08-13, 07:14 PM
Sure. Took a long walk along the river this morning. About 5F and bright sunshine. Beautiful.

My family thinks I am nuts. But I will take it over 35F and freezing rain all winter in Jersey any day. I sought out 300" snowfall winters in Marquette, MI to live years back and would live there (or Duluth) happily today except my wife was born in Bogata and raised in San Juan and she is Greek. There is no antifreeze in her blood.

Last month when I found out I was going to Saskatoon in February and couldn't stop giggling she just shook her head and reminded me I was free to move north... Without her.

dry cold is nice. civilization is nicer.

(and f*********************************** -15C)

cameraman
02-08-13, 07:41 PM
dry cold is nice. civilization is nicer.

And how is Philly ever considered "civilization"?

trish
02-09-13, 03:58 PM
Geoff Fox snow totals (http://www.geofffox.com/MT/archives/2013/02/09/2013-blizzard-snow-totals-for-connecticut.php)

This trumps 1978 in amount of snowfall. The wind is raging now. Please no power outages...

stroker
02-10-13, 11:11 AM
I can see the market now--carbon fiber handles, tool steel blades that self sharpen as they're used... SUPER SHOVELS. Git 'em while you can, just $300 each!

Elmo T
02-10-13, 05:44 PM
Freezing rain and accumulating ice for tonight. Yea, winter. :saywhat:

Ankf00
02-10-13, 08:29 PM
And how is Philly ever considered "civilization"?

good point.