PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Twin Turbo Deltawing

NismoZ
02-07-13, 08:19 PM
For Sebring, 345 hp. Who was it here that suggested THAT should have been the original engine choice? He musta been a right smart feller! Go ahead, look for a link...I just heard the news "down at the shop." True? Oh...and a closed cockpit?

NismoZ
02-07-13, 08:55 PM
Yup...Speedtv.com yesterday confirms Nissan exit, Don Panoz run D'wing program, roof by race #2...MZR (based) twin turbo...THAT'S what I wanted slapped into a Formula SuperAtlantic...I'll take this...and better fortune for Dempsey Racing/SpeedSource with those little Mazda Diesels at Le Mans. I like new stuff...when it works!

pfc_m_drake
02-08-13, 11:39 AM
I know there's a lot of hate for the Deltawing, but I've always loved the idea. I didn't necessarily want it as a single-spec Indycar, for example, but I'm really glad they built it.

Sounds like the program just keeps getting better and better. Can't wait for Sebring!

NismoZ
02-08-13, 01:22 PM
Well, all I have to say is "Good luck, Don." AAR is out, the original design team is out, Highcroft Racing is out, Nissan is out and now Michelin and those goofy front tires are out. (Bridgestone/Firestone MIGHT be in.) The changes do not seem to be on side of much continued development. Limited schedule, too. Panoz must have worked a hell of a deal...like, "Here, TAKE this...please?" Might just be a showpiece for the final year? Will it even have a place under Remergification ll? (or even TIRES by Sebring?)

Easy
02-08-13, 02:40 PM
As far as I knew AAR was just doing some of the manufacturing (the cockpit mainly I think). Since Elan can do everything in house there's no reason to pay someone else for it.

In this era, Le Mans prototype racing is the perfect place for this concept. It may have had a more positive public reaction if it had been debuted as such.

NismoZ
02-08-13, 06:48 PM
I really MEAN good luck. Been a fan of the concept from day 1...It just appears a LOT of $$ are walking away. Hope that problem can be solved.