PDA

View Full Version : The '13 Super Bowl commercial thread

nrc
02-04-13, 08:49 PM
Here's TiVo's list of the "most engaging" Super Bowl commercials based on actual viewership - commercials that the most people actually watched instead of fast forwarding through.

1. Taco Bell “Viva Young”
2. Doritos “Goat For Sale”
3. Hyundai Santa Fe “Pick Your Team”
4. Doritos “Fashionista Daddy”
5. GoDaddy.com “Perfect Date”
6. M&Ms “Anything for Love”
7. Sketchers “Man Vs. Cheetah”
8. Pepsi Next “Pepsi Next Drink it to Believe It”
9. Audi “Prom”
10. Volkswagen “Get In. Get Happy”

I actually enjoyed the Mercedes spot but I wonder if it got lost running later in the game. For a change, Go Daddy's spot was actually clever. It got your attention even if it was an OH! :yuck:

dando
02-04-13, 08:58 PM
Sad to admit it, but the Taco Bell spot made me chuckle x11.

-Kevin

Gnam
02-04-13, 09:17 PM
Samsung ad with Paul Rudd was good, "You're probably here to meet some guy named Sam Sung." But, it was too long. People in the room started talking over it.

Oh, but don't you dare talk during the Budweiser Clydesdale "I miss my horse and he misses me" ad. :shakehead

1. Taco Bell “Viva Young” - People in the room asked if the SAP button got pushed by accident.

2. Doritos “Goat For Sale” - Screaming goat for the win.

3. Hyundai Santa Fe “Pick Your Team” - I liked the kid wrestling the bears.

4. Doritos “Fashionista Daddy” - Disturbing

5. GoDaddy.com “Perfect Date” - Disturbing and I hate Danica Patrick.

6. M&Ms “Anything for Love” - creepy

7. Sketchers “Man Vs. Cheetah” - I got a lecture on how kitties have 5 weapons of attack and both the man and the deer would be dead meat.

8. Pepsi Next “Pepsi Next Drink it to Believe It” - Don't remember this one.

9. Audi “Prom” - I thought he was going to drag race the limo. Nope. It was cute when Elliott kissed the girl in E.T., but the high school version was a little rapey.

10. Volkswagen “Get In. Get Happy” - Chill Winston. is funny

stroker
02-04-13, 09:27 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has connected the theme for Chrysler/Ram with last year's Halftime In America with Clint Eastwood and this year's Paul Harvey spot. I really liked The Farmer, but I doubt that few folks on the in heavily Blue districts listened to it and thought, "Man, that sounds like a lot of work..."

TKGAngel
02-04-13, 10:09 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has connected the theme for Chrysler/Ram with last year's Halftime In America with Clint Eastwood and this year's Paul Harvey spot. I really liked The Farmer, but I doubt that few folks on the in heavily Blue districts listened to it and thought, "Man, that sounds like a lot of work..."

Interestingly, amongst my friends, the Paul Harvey farmer spot went over a lot better than the Jeep spot. The general theory was that the Jeep ad tried too hard to be warm and fuzzy and patriotic, while the farmer ad did a good job calling attention to a difficult profession that a lot of us take for granted and/or aren't familiar with in our daily lives. Maybe it was just Paul Harvey that we were responding to?

The M&M's ad with Naya Rivera from Glee was more entertaining than 99% of all Glee plotlines this year.

And I cried at the Clydesdale ad when I first saw it on Thursday. Go ahead and mock, if you must.

Andrew Longman
02-04-13, 11:48 PM
I watched the game at a party. I found myself in another room watching with another guy who actually was interested in the game... Like me.

Somewhere late in the second quarter he asked me, "wow, have there been any commercials?" I couldn't think of one. Like me he has developed an internal mute button that simply tunes out and skips over the commercials. About all I recall was the Taco Bell commercial which I thought was pretty funny, some ad that I don't recall except thr notice at the end it was sponsored by Scientology, and a few weird Kia commercials... I think they were for Kia.:gomer:

trish
02-05-13, 01:18 AM
I was repulsed by the GoDaddy.com commercial. Thought I was going to be sick and it had nothing to do with Danica.

I liked the Samsung next big thing commercial.

KLang
02-05-13, 08:12 AM
I thought it was a pretty bland year. My favorite was probably the cars.com wolf ad.

dando
02-05-13, 08:29 AM
I thought it was a pretty bland year. My favorite was probably the cars.com wolf ad.

Yes, that was a good one as well. Surprised it didn't rank in the top 10.

-Kevin

Napoleon
02-05-13, 01:15 PM
That GoDaddy commercial just grossed me out.

Andrew Longman
02-06-13, 10:22 AM
That GoDaddy commercial just grossed me out.
That seems to be the universal assessment.

I wonder how the casting call was worded... "gross fat nerd with bad hair and complexion needed to French kiss super model. No pay"

dando
02-06-13, 10:42 AM
That seems to be the universal assessment.

I wonder how the casting call was worded... "gross fat nerd with bad hair and complexion needed to French kiss super model. No pay"

They were going for the shock value (ala Howard Stern) to get peeps talking. Mission Accomplished. :saywhat:

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
02-06-13, 10:55 AM
They were going for the shock value (ala Howard Stern) to get peeps talking. Mission Accomplished. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Yep. Oogy commercial, but people are talking about it. Good marketing, and one real (not hollywood) nerd is very happy.

dando
02-06-13, 11:05 AM
Yep. Oogy commercial, but people are talking about it. Good marketing, and one real (not hollywood) nerd is very happy.

That ad made it shrink. </Costanza> ;) I saw a Youtube video that said they had to do 45 takes and had several other versions rejected by CBS. Srsly? :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
02-06-13, 11:20 AM
...they had to do 45 takes...

Nerdish actor: "No really. Give me just one more take. I can nail this"

Like I said, I'll bet they didn't need to pay him

indyfan31
02-06-13, 11:41 AM

As it turns out, he's a very busy Hollywood actor.

IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1035503/)

KLang
02-06-13, 11:54 AM
Chuck, I knew I had seen him before.

Andrew Longman
02-06-13, 12:02 PM
Nickname: Manpeach

:confused::laugh:

The next Ron Jeremy? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1035503/news

dando
02-06-13, 12:35 PM
Like I said, I'll bet they didn't need to pay him

Wouldn't had to have paid me either. :gomer: I just don't have the hair for it. :saywhat: ;)

-Kevin

dando
02-06-13, 12:38 PM
As it turns out, he's a very busy Hollywood actor.

IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1035503/)

Funny I went looking for that profile as well. Reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1417647/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

-Kevin

dando
02-07-13, 06:00 PM
Somehow I missed this ad during the Super Bowl.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130207/AUTO0101/302070463/1361/Chrysler-Super-Bowl-ad-tops-10-million-viewings

Chrysler Group LLC's Ram brand chief says the automaker's Super Bowl ad featuring the role of farmers in American life has been seen or shared on the Internet more than 10 million times.

The Auburn Hills automaker had promised on Sunday to donate to the Future Farmers of America $100,000 per 1 million times the "So God Made a Farmer" two-minute Super Bowl ad was seen, shared or emailed on its website with a target donation of $1 million. In less than five days, Chrysler has already hit the goal.

I grew up listening to Paul Harvey on the local news and radio station (610 WTVN), so this hits home. He was in the purest sense a gentleman. My dad used to listen to the station constantly @ home and when I went to work with him. Hence my preference to listen to talk radio today (much to the chagrin of my girls). :) Paul Harvey. :thumbup: He's as unique as Vin Scully, Ernie Harwell, etc.

Jod-1G9QExM

And now you know the rest of the story. Paul Harvey, good day!

</blog thingy>

-Kevin