PDA

View Full Version : What's new is old...

dando
01-14-13, 08:14 PM
The new Stingray. (http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-new-corvette-stingray-comparison-20130114,0,6806545.story)

I remember riding in the 'back' of my mom's chocolate brown '74 Stingray. That was sitting on top of the batteries...no car seat, no seat really.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

nrc
01-15-13, 12:20 AM
Hmm. Kinda busy.

chop456
01-15-13, 03:01 AM
Hmm. Kinda busy.

I'll assume/hope that the standard coupe won't be.

I like it.

emjaya
01-15-13, 07:18 AM
Hmm. Kinda busy.

Like a F12 and a Elise have been mashed together. Badly.

WickerBill
01-15-13, 08:02 AM
Make all of those vents body color and perhaps it wouldn't look so Matchbox.

But they aren't selling Corvettes to the high tea crowd anyway.

rosawendel
01-15-13, 08:25 AM
how do you shift a seven speed gearbox? with the springs in a 4-6 speed, finding a gear is pretty easy, but how do you find the middle gears in a seven speed box? is ity like a trombone or fretless bass - you just learn where it goes?

chop456
01-15-13, 08:51 AM
I'd ASSUME that 3rd and 4th are still "center" and 7th would be "way over", instead of just "over"?

I have no idea. :gomer:

dando
01-15-13, 12:23 PM
how do you shift a seven speed gearbox? with the springs in a 4-6 speed, finding a gear is pretty easy, but how do you find the middle gears in a seven speed box? is ity like a trombone or fretless bass - you just learn where it goes?

Very carefully. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

KLang
01-15-13, 12:42 PM
Looks to me like they stole the new Camaro's taillights.

I bet the 7 speed is a double clutch automatic/manual.

Edit: Nope found a cnet article that says it is a true manual.

dando
01-15-13, 12:54 PM
Most important...it appears those mirrors WILL work. ;) My question is do we get the employee discount since taxpayers are co-owners of GM? :saywhat:

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-15-13, 01:39 PM
It isn't in my top 10, that's for sure. But let me be clear: I'm from the southside of Indianapolis, so I'd definitely drive it.

KaBoom21
01-15-13, 02:45 PM
7th Gear, huh?

[/flashesgangsign]

TravelGal
01-15-13, 03:01 PM
7th Gear, huh?

[/flashesgangsign]

:thumbup:

Andrew Longman
01-16-13, 08:43 AM
My question is do we get the employee discount since taxpayers are co-owners of GM? :saywhat:

-Kevin I suspect that the taxpayers are making enough money on the stock. It was trading below $1/share in December 2008 it is trading today at about a 52 week high of $30. So long as GM keeps getting things right and the economies in Asia don't cool too much, the taxpayers will keep seeing the stock rise (they need to sort out Opel in Europe too).

And there is a big question how quickly the government puts the stock on the market lest it causes the the price to drop. Or perhaps they don't put it on the market at all and GM buys it back.

My point is this a complicated issue that isn't reported very well.

nrc
01-16-13, 12:59 PM
I suspect that the taxpayers are making enough money on the stock. It was trading below $1/share in December 2008 it is trading today at about a 52 week high of $30. So long as GM keeps getting things right and the economies in Asia don't cool too much, the taxpayers will keep seeing the stock rise (they need to sort out Opel in Europe too).

The government didn't pay $1 per share, they paid $53. A multi-billion dollar loss is is nearly certain since they've already agreed to sell back nearly half the shares at $27.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/12/19/gm-stock-treasury-buyback/1779191/

Andrew Longman
01-16-13, 04:54 PM
Well...

Technically they paid back what was lent to them, per the agreement, two years ago, but as you said much of it was paid back in stock.

This is a pretty good read on the topic http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/03/22/when-will-gm-pay-us-back.aspx

One way or another, no one was going to give GM (or at the time anyone else) the capital they needed to continue operations. And the government (federal, state and local) has and will collect more in taxes by keeping GM and Chrysler and countless suppliers in business than if they hadn't.

Finally, by taking stock as collateral and payment it gave them the right to call the shots on countless decisions that literally for 40 years the management had been unable to make even though everyone knew they needed fewer nameplates, dealers and much less complexity overall.

nrc
01-16-13, 05:28 PM
Well...

Technically they paid back what was lent to them, per the agreement, two years ago, but as you said much of it was paid back in stock.

This is a pretty good read on the topic http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/03/22/when-will-gm-pay-us-back.aspx

That's almost a year old but it says the same thing. It's a loss if the stock is sold for under $53. They've just agreed to sell almost half of it back to GM at $27 per share.

Indy
01-16-13, 11:36 PM
The bottom line to the United States of American is that we lost X instead of losing 100X.

Andrew Longman
01-17-13, 12:09 AM
The bottom line to the United States of American is that we lost X instead of losing 100X.That's pretty much it.

Let's move on. ;)

nrc
01-17-13, 03:36 AM
That's pretty much it.

Let's move on. ;)

I disagree on the point but agreed that there's no point in rehashing it.

stroker
01-17-13, 12:55 PM
I disagree on the point but agreed that there's no point in rehashing it.

If I ever get to Cbus I'm buying you a great big beer.

nrc
01-17-13, 06:10 PM
If I ever get to Cbus I'm buying you a great big beer.

Thanks, but I only drink Diet Coke and girly drinks. Can I get one of these?

http://www.drinkstudio.com/content/images/grasshopper_max.jpg

emjaya
01-17-13, 08:25 PM
Grasshopper milkshake?