PDA

View Full Version : Flu Outbreak '13

Pages : [1] 2

dando
01-09-13, 08:14 PM
This is starting to get really scary. Outdoors triage in tents in Philly and now a public health emergency in Beantown. :eek:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/09/health/us-flu-season/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I had commented to my mother about the accelerated crud season a few weeks ago, just based on my observations of FB friends and the girls' school. No more than an hour later, the story was the lead on NBC Nightly News.

-Kevin

KLang
01-09-13, 08:40 PM
Wife and I got flu shots in November for the first time. We're old enough now it seems the right thing to do.

I was amazed though that Aetna wouldn't pay a dime. :mad: Not that the shot costs much but surely a flu shot would be cheaper than the treatment.

Elmo T
01-09-13, 08:48 PM
I did NOT get a shot this year - for no reason other than sloth. :saywhat:

Taken to actually using the mini-hand sanitizer the kids bought me. I am not sure the flu shots are fully effective for this round of ick either.

Not sure I'd panic about the tents quite yet. They were the only ones in the area and it was more to keep the flow in the ER. Still, going to be a problem for those at risk.

dando
01-09-13, 10:03 PM
It just bares watching. Not time for panic yet...until the zombies come out. ;) When the senior health reporter for NBC (who I like and trust) comes out and says this is beyond anything she has seen in her previous experience, I take notice. As I noted before, there appears to be something more to this than meets the eye (or reported facts thus far).

-Kevin

TravelGal
01-10-13, 12:03 AM
I got a flu shot for the first time ever this year because I'm spending so much time with TravelMom and I wanted to reduce risk as much as possible. Both her doctor in FL and my doctor in CA said that "they" guessed right on the combo this year, unlike some years when the vaccine does little or nothing. FYI, H1N1 is back in the tri-partite mix, I was told. My doctor cautioned that it does not prevent you from getting the flu, it greatly lessens its severity.

SteveH
01-10-13, 01:10 AM
I had it in early December. I can see how the very young or elderly would have a rough time. Brutal stuff.

KLang
01-10-13, 08:12 AM
My wife had it a year ago, part of the reason we got the shots this time. She was down for a week.

Elmo T
01-10-13, 09:24 AM
Still, going to be a problem for those at risk.

And now the news leads with the death of a seemingly healthy 17yo kid.

Not hearing much from my EMS friends nor am I hearing the "all beds are full" or "ER is on divert" messages on the emergency radio. Yet. :(

cameraman
01-10-13, 12:24 PM
There is a form around the valley that is hitting folks independent of their immunization status. Gotta hate it when the virus manages to avoid the vaccine...

It doesn't seem to be a terrible strain, merely mildly miserable.

dando
01-10-13, 10:21 PM
Now NYC...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/10/farley-severe-strain-of-flu-reaches-epidemic-proportions-in-new-york-city/

:\

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-12-13, 11:10 AM
Woooooo hoooooo I got it!

Three days now, doesn't look like abating... if I get myself loopy enough on cold medication, I can watch TV or play on the computer for a bit.

My voice is at least an octave lower, which is definitely the coolest thing about this illness and the only part I wish I could keep. With a son named Luke, you can imagine all the hi-lar-ity around here with people making me say that line from the movie.

TravelGal
01-12-13, 01:00 PM
Article in the LA Times today saying CA is bracing for the onslaught. :(

dando
01-15-13, 04:02 PM
Did the needful and got my shot today. Thankfully Cigna (new insurance provider) is picking up the cost.

KLang, I suggest looking into the Shingles vaccine as well. It's advised for those over 50. I know two folks who have gone through it recently, and it ain't fun and lasts for ~2 mos. Extremely painful and debilitating.

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-15-13, 04:43 PM
Shingles is THE WORST!! I wouldn't wish it on Al Unser Jr. It is truly that bad.

Gnam
01-15-13, 05:12 PM
Shingles is THE WORST!! I wouldn't wish it on Al Unser Jr. It is truly that bad.
Also, if the outbreak is on your face near your eyes, it can blind you.

TravelGal
01-15-13, 06:14 PM
Also, if the outbreak is on your face near your eyes, it can blind you.

Ditto. A friend of mine nearly lost her eye. The Shingles shot is now covered by my insurance. Too bad I got it 3 weeks before that went into effect last fall.

TKGAngel
01-15-13, 07:46 PM
I had shingles 3 years ago above my left eye. It felt like someone was stabbing a shrimp fork in my eye, and as the blisters popped, I looked like I had a bad case of road rash. (And I had them in my late 20s, but that's one of the perks of being immunosuppressed!)

WickerBill
01-15-13, 07:53 PM
I had them in my middle 30s. Started on my left shoulder blade (where I still have severe scarring) and went up to my scalp and down to the back of my knee -- never crossed the spine to the right side of my body (which I guess is typical -- but man it looked weird). Avoided my eyes and face fortunately.

But yeah, stabbing is the right word for it.

cameraman
01-15-13, 08:12 PM
I'd just like to know what I have. I've been coughing like mad but my lungs are crystal clear. No fever. Major league body aches. All the coughing has pulled every abdominal muscle so coughing really hurts. Entire alimentary canal is normal. I've probably slept 20 out of the last 24 hours. No sore throat. No rashes or other skin issues. Sinuses are clear. I feel absolutely horrible.

The doctor wasn't sure what is going on. Gave me cough suppressants and said give it time. If it gets worse come back, if it doesn't get better in a few days come back. :rolleyes:

TravelGal
01-15-13, 09:45 PM
I'd just like to know what I have. I've been coughing like mad but my lungs are crystal clear. No fever. Major league body aches. All the coughing has pulled every abdominal muscle so coughing really hurts. Entire alimentary canal is normal. I've probably slept 20 out of the last 24 hours. No sore throat. No rashes or other skin issues. Sinuses are clear. I feel absolutely horrible.

The doctor wasn't sure what is going on. Gave me cough suppressants and said give it time. If it gets worse come back, if it doesn't get better in a few days come back. :rolleyes:

Or get a second opinion. And google like crazy. Not to be alarmist or anything but these are not normal symptoms. I've heard of invisible pneumonia where lungs are clear but you're coughing and exhausted with no fever but it doesn't explain the aches.

Tifosi24
01-15-13, 10:22 PM

Did you happen to have a mild cold or a slight fever a couple weeks back? If that is the case, you could have whooping cough. My sister-in-law had it a few years ago when she was about 20, it took the doctors several weeks before they figured it out, and only because there was an outbreak caused by high school kids returning from a mission trip.

cameraman
01-15-13, 11:16 PM
Yeah they took a swab for pertussis but that takes 7-12 days to comeback and even then it doesn't always work. Bordetella just doesn't culture well.

RaceGrrl
01-16-13, 12:04 AM
I had shingles a few years ago too, and it is awful. Fortunately it wasn't over a large area, but it was on my back and having my hair or clothing touch it was extremely painful. I can't imagine having it in my eyes.

Anteater
01-16-13, 10:40 PM
I usually get the flu vaccine; I didn't get one last year, and got the flu twice. I don't want to repeat that experience, so I'm off to a pharmacy tomorrow to get the shot. I would have gotten one today at CVS, but they've run out of the vaccine at the one near my home.

Shingles totally sucks--I got them across my right eye and forehead back in '03, and was terrified of going blind. That was how I got to be friends with Oddlycalm--he'd had the same affliction, and was so kind and reassuring to me throughout the ordeal. I got over it with only a few faint scars on my forehead and my eyesight intact, but it was just an awful experience. If you are eligible for the vaccine, I strongly urge you to get it!

Hope our stricken OCers get well soon!

Ankf00
01-20-13, 12:36 PM
There is a form around the valley that is hitting folks independent of their immunization status. Gotta hate it when the virus manages to avoid the vaccine...

It doesn't seem to be a terrible strain, merely mildly miserable.

after the last 24 hours, "mildly miserable" is exactly how i'd put it.

Andrew Longman
01-20-13, 04:48 PM
To get sick, first you have be exposed.Just don't go out. Stay home and surf forums for defunct racing series. :gomer:

Gnam
01-20-13, 07:34 PM
To get sick, first you have be exposed.Just don't go out. Stay home and surf forums for defunct racing series. :gomer:

Done. Just saw that movie Contagion, now I'm counting the number of times I touch my face. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
01-25-13, 09:58 AM
Just got word that a good friend's 10th grade son died last night from complications from flu. He was otherwise very healthy, a promising football player, and the two of them helped me build a deck last year.

Flu turned quickly into pneumonia and he was dead in only a few days.

I can't imagine that loss.

:(

TravelGal
01-25-13, 11:47 AM
Just got word that a good friend's 10th grade son died last night from complications from flu. He was otherwise very healthy, a promising football player, and the two of them helped me build a deck last year.

I can't either. My condolences to you and to the child's family. Last weekend I was told of a travel agent, healthy adult, who died in much the same manner. Let's be careful out there. :(

Elmo T
01-25-13, 11:58 AM
I can't either. My condolences to you and to the child's family. Last weekend I was told of a travel agent, healthy adult, who died in much the same manner. Let's be careful out there. :(

:( So sad.

It is truly nasty this year - especially for seemingly healthy kids.

Spoke to a nurse last weekend - she has had at least 8 young adults (20 somethings) through her floor in the last couple weeks and all had to be tubed because of the flu/pneumonia. Crazy. :shakehead

Andrew Longman
01-25-13, 04:11 PM
My daughter knows a first responder who helped him.

He was in school on Wednesday. He went to the corner store with his dad last night to get a gallon of milk and started coughing up blood. Bleeding quickly became worse and the paramedics were called. They lost him twice in the ambulance and then put him on a respirator at the hospital where he died.

Just like that he was gone.

dando
01-25-13, 04:13 PM
My daughter knows a first responder who helped him.

He was in school on Wednesday. He went to the corner store with his dad last night to get a gallon of milk and started coughing up blood. Bleeding quickly became worse and the paramedics were called. They lost him twice in the ambulance and then put him on a respirator at the hospital where he died.

Just like that he was gone.

Jeebus. :(

-Kevin

cameraman
01-25-13, 04:26 PM
I've been coughing like crazy for the past few weeks and this morning in the middle of the coughing there was a rather loud pop as my right t-6 rib fractured. That really tends to grab one's attention. The x-ray shows mild pneumonia too so I get antibiotics along with my pain killers...

Gnam
01-25-13, 04:30 PM

So that would make him the fifth child in NJ to die from the flu since December?
You guys are starting to damage my calm.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/01/flu_season_continues_to_worsen.html

Andrew Longman
01-25-13, 06:07 PM
At least sixth. Another teenager in the county died last weekend, according to sources my daughter knows.

Apparently teenage/20 something deaths are not as reliably reported to CDC as infants and other compromised victims. That is what is really frightening about this flu strain. It seems able to take down otherwise very healthy young people.

dando
01-25-13, 07:50 PM
Now Norovirus is breaking out. :saywhat:

http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/25/new-strain-of-norovirus-is-circulating-in-the-u-s/

-Kevin

Tifosi24
01-25-13, 11:06 PM
I've been coughing like crazy for the past few weeks and this morning in the middle of the coughing there was a rather loud pop as my right t-6 rib fractured. That really tends to grab one's attention. The x-ray shows mild pneumonia too so I get antibiotics along with my pain killers...

You get your pertussis test back yet? Your cough can't just be a "bad" bug or something.

The number of seemingly healthy young folks that are succumbing to this year's flu is scary. The numbers, in the grand scheme of things aren't great, but the deaths of of healthy adults and teenagers is the hallmark of the worst flus. What is really scary is I saw an article on the BBC yesterday where researchers believe 20-30 percent of everyone in the developed world contracted the swine flu a couple years back. Unfortunately, it is only a matter of time before higher mortality lines up with high levels of infection.

cameraman
01-25-13, 11:37 PM
Pertussis test was negative. The pneumonia is new, the whole ripping velcro sound is pretty diagnostic. I was quite the training aid today, half a dozen med students listening as I kept saying, I and A.:laugh:

Also having done a side by side test I can say that codeine/promethazine is a stronger cough suppressant than hydrocodone/chlorpheniramine.:D

Indy
01-26-13, 12:26 PM
Get well, cameraman!

Tifosi24
01-26-13, 03:19 PM
The flu has struck the Tif household. The wife got diagnosed with the B strain this morning. Mini Tif and I are doing well and are about to start Tamiflu. Hopefully the flu vaccine protects us, because Mom didn't get one.

SteveH
01-26-13, 04:12 PM
Tamiflu is amazing. Good luck

Andrew Longman
01-26-13, 06:49 PM
http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2013/01/through_the_tears_delaware_val.html

Just sucks

We are trying to gather the money for the funeral. Without getting into it, that is going to be a challenge for his dad.

Elmo T
01-29-13, 09:10 AM
Flu Epidemic Continues Assault on Children and Could Threaten Global Economy (http://www.emergencymgmt.com/health/Flu-Epidemic-Continues-Assault-on-Children-and-Could-Threaten-Global-Economy.html)

A flu epidemic in the United States was responsible for 8.2 percent of the country’s deaths during the week of Jan. 6-12 and threatens the global economy, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

racermike
01-29-13, 05:15 PM
I went to Auto Show here in Portland saturday, within half an hour after leaving started feeling very dizzy.

Less than 2 hours after that, was puking like crazy. Have never been that sick before, even from drinking. 48 hours in bed since Saturday night, and able to finally eat some easy foods, but still feel very weak.

Should be fine to work tomorrow, but this thing hit me like a truckload of bricks.

Pretty darn sure it was the Norovirus Flu going around. Symptoms and timeline match its description perfectly.

dando
01-29-13, 05:24 PM
I went to Auto Show here in Portland saturday, within half an hour after leaving started feeling very dizzy.

Less than 2 hours after that, was puking like crazy. Have never been that sick before, even from drinking. 48 hours in bed since Saturday night, and able to finally eat some easy foods, but still feel very weak.

Should be fine to work tomorrow, but this thing hit me like a truckload of bricks.

Pretty darn sure it was the Norovirus Flu going around. Symptoms and timeline match its description perfectly.

Not sure if Norovirus is classified as flu or just a stomach bug. And it usually occurs where there are large gatherings of people...especially cruise ships (floating petri dishes), schools, daycare, etc. IIRC the incubation period for the flu is a couple of days, not hours.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/healthy_kids/Norovirus-Is-my-child-at-risk.html

Looks like we're getting a double whammy this season. :saywhat:

Carlin's take on germs (NSFW):

X29lF43mUlo

:D

-Kevin

Tifosi24
01-29-13, 05:33 PM
The flu has struck the Tif household. The wife got diagnosed with the B strain this morning. Mini Tif and I are doing well and are about to start Tamiflu. Hopefully the flu vaccine protects us, because Mom didn't get one.

Tamiflu is awesome. The wife is still tired, but is back to work. The kid and I are still good. The only thing Genentech needs to do is make Tamiflu taste better for babies. It smells like paint thinner, makes the baby barf it up, and otherwise make me feel like I am waterboarding him every time I have to give it to him.

cameraman
01-30-13, 12:48 AM
Norovirus is completely different from the flu. Noroviruses are non-enveloped buggers whereas influenza has a nice squishy envelope that can just dry out or get disrupted by many soaps, detergents and sanitizers. The Norovirus is a much tougher virus, it can spread as an aerosol, it survives on hard surfaces, it isn't bothered at all by your clothes washer, it swims laps in hand sanitizer, it will hang out on damp surfaces for a month. It's evil.

SteveH
01-30-13, 01:07 AM
It's also a great way to lose weight.

cameraman
01-30-13, 01:54 AM
Only until you rehydrate and replace your intestinal epithelium.

Don Quixote
01-30-13, 10:49 AM
It's also a great way to lose weight.:laugh:
Better than tapeworms, I hear.

G.
02-04-13, 07:54 PM
Wife got B.

should we all get a vaccine? Tamiflu?

KLang
02-04-13, 08:08 PM
I think the vaccine takes a couple weeks to do it's thing. Probably too late.

I don't know if they prescribe Tamiflu as a preventative measure.

Andrew Longman
02-04-13, 11:14 PM
Depends on your doc. A friend retired last week from the state police and promptly got the flu. He and his wife were planning this week to go on a cruise and their doctor gave them both Tamiflu in hopes of being good to go.

Tifosi24
02-05-13, 08:50 AM
I think the vaccine takes a couple weeks to do it's thing. Probably too late.

I don't know if they prescribe Tamiflu as a preventative measure.

My son and I were given Tamiflu as a preventative measure. We didn't get sick, but we also had been vaccinated. My wife had B and wasn't vaccinated. As noted earlier, Tamiflu is pure torture if you have to give it to a baby or small child. I don't normally get drug side-effects, but I didn't take my full regiment because it gave me nausea and a general "blah" feeling for about four hours.

G.
02-05-13, 09:55 AM
... but I didn't take my full regiment because it gave me nausea and a general "blah" feeling for about four hours.

you realize, that's how drug-resistant strains can be made and proliferated, right?
Same thing with anti-biotics and anti-virals like Tammy Flue.

edit: who should play your character in the movie - "Contagion 2"?

:)

dando
02-05-13, 10:25 AM
you realize, that's how drug-resistant strains can be made and proliferated, right?

See my previous post on Carlin's take on germs. Something I've said for years, but he's more funny. :gomer: My take as a kid growing up (some would dispute that I never did ;)) is 'rub some dirt on it, kid'. :D

-Kevin

Tifosi24
02-05-13, 03:45 PM

I do realize that, but I couldn't take getting sick every evening, or waterboarding my kid. I haven't thought of who should play my dying self in the movie though.

RaceGrrl
02-05-13, 08:59 PM
No flu for me. I have shingles instead. w00t. :(:irked:

SteveH
02-05-13, 09:37 PM
Ugh, that's terrible. Hope you get better soon. At least it didn't hit while you were on the cruise.

TKGAngel
02-05-13, 09:42 PM
Ouch, grrl. Feel better soon.

WickerBill
02-05-13, 10:00 PM
We just talked about that! I'm sorry Missy. It can be truly awful; I hope you have a mild case!

dando
02-05-13, 10:41 PM
Oh snap! :\ My psychologist just went through that and was out of action for two mos. :(

-Kevin

cameraman
02-05-13, 11:05 PM
No flu for me. I have shingles instead. w00t. :(:irked:

Yeesh, this is the wrong thread to one-up people:(

G.
02-05-13, 11:49 PM
I do realize that, but I couldn't take getting sick every evening, or waterboarding my kid. I haven't thought of who should play my dying self in the movie though.

Nah, man. You're immune to the new strain you created. It will only be the Tifosi's and the zombies left. And Keith Richards. ;)

Loaded up on Tammy Flue, and got myself a shot. I'll get the rest of the g's. shots tomorrow, I hope.

(assuming that I'm exposed, the vaccine will help reduce the symptoms and duration, as I thought. Unless the Doc and pharmacist is nuts.)

Odd one out is the poor Mrs. G. :(

Shingles can suck, bad. Mrs. G. had 'em when she was almost fully-baked with the twins.

Two little ones at home, two huge beachballs in her gut, back and arm on fire, 100% bedrest, and ordered to stay away from almost 2-year-old. Yeah. That went well.

Missy, I hope your case goes easy.

RaceGrrl
02-06-13, 12:27 AM
G., that sounds awful. Your poor wife!

I think I'll take this over puking, snotting and fever. More than anything my back just hurts where they started. The rash is minor.

After they're gone, I'm getting the vaccine. This is the second time I've had shingles and I don't want it again. Heh... I won't get the flu vax but I'll get the Zostavax. That's logical. :gomer:

TravelGal
02-06-13, 12:52 PM
So sorry about the shingles, Racegrrl. Ugh. At least it sounds relatively minor, as those cases go. Will they let you have the vaccine at your tender age?

G, yes, that's what my doc told me too. The flu vaccine doesn't stop you from getting the flu. It lessens the length and severity. Fingers crossed for you all.

dando
02-06-13, 01:04 PM
So sorry about the shingles, Racegrrl. Ugh. At least it sounds relatively minor, as those cases go. Will they let you have the vaccine at your tender age?

G, yes, that's what my doc told me too. The flu vaccine doesn't stop you from getting the flu. It lessens the length and severity. Fingers crossed for you all.

TG, from what I've read/seen, the flu vaccine is ~62% effective. It all depends on which strain is spreading. Add in the Norovirus, and it's a crap shoot. :saywhat: :(

When I asked the pharmacist about the Shingles vaccine, she said >50. Not quite there yet, but I may just do the needful to be sure. I can't chance it with the (hopefully) shared parenting coming soon.

-Kevin

Elmo T
02-07-13, 04:58 PM
So how bad has it been? I think this sums it up:

http://i46.tinypic.com/25uqzhl.gif

Source here (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/summary.htm) from CDC

Andrew Longman
02-07-13, 05:07 PM
Did anyone else read reports last Fall that the experts were pleased that they thought they had really nailed the vaccine this year and were expecting a mild flu season?

dando
02-07-13, 05:30 PM
Did anyone else read reports last Fall that the experts were pleased that they thought they had really nailed the vaccine this year and were expecting a mild flu season?

Perhaps the same idiots that forecasted the weather the past year plus and have consistently botched the forecasts? :saywhat: :irked: I understand that it's referred to as practicing medicine for a reason, but this flu season has just been insane. :shakehead

And yes, I track all of those news reports due to the girls being in elementary school, and especially for Katherine since this is her first year of full day school.

-Kevin

Insomniac
02-08-13, 01:20 AM

Wouldn't they always believe that? That is their entire job. Why would they vaccinate for a strain they didn't think would be an issue and exclude one they thought would be?

TravelGal
02-08-13, 01:32 AM
TG, from what I've read/seen, the flu vaccine is ~62% effective. It all depends on which strain is spreading. Add in the Norovirus, and it's a crap shoot. :saywhat: :(

When I asked the pharmacist about the Shingles vaccine, she said >50. Not quite there yet, but I may just do the needful to be sure. I can't chance it with the (hopefully) shared parenting coming soon.

-Kevin

Define "effective." What you said doesn't negate anything I said. Agreed it depends on the strain and yes, norovirus is a crapshoot. Not just your local cruise liners anymore. As for Shingles. Same. I figure 50% is better than no percent.

TravelGal
02-08-13, 01:35 AM

I read that they thought they had nailed the strains that would be going around around. They can only include four in the vaccine. Not that they thought it would be mild flu season. It's certain they didn't expect flumageddon though. Bad news. :(

Andrew Longman
02-08-13, 04:48 AM
Wouldn't they always believe that? That is their entire job. Why would they vaccinate for a strain they didn't think would be an issue and exclude one they thought would be?Actually last year they said up front that that they had missed the mark. They have to guess and commit early to the vaccine they are going to make.

cameraman
02-08-13, 12:43 PM
Well the pneumonia has cleared up but the ribs are still quite unhappy. Augmentin is my friend.

TravelGal
02-08-13, 12:45 PM
A ray of hope at least. I'm glad to hear it. I was wondering how you were doing. Probably as you were typing. Cue Twilight Zone music. :eek:

cameraman
02-08-13, 12:54 PM

Need to have a little perspective here.

Pediatric mortality
2009/10 282
2010/11 122
2011/12 34
2012/13 59

Granted last year was an unusually good year but this year is still half that of the 10/11 season and 1/5 that of 09/10. It is still a pretty good year.

RaceGrrl
02-08-13, 12:57 PM
glad to hear you're doing better!

Gnam
02-08-13, 02:31 PM
Flu just wiped out the accounting department. So much for the company wide flu shot.

dando
02-08-13, 04:23 PM
Define "effective." What you said doesn't negate anything I said. Agreed it depends on the strain and yes, norovirus is a crapshoot. Not just your local cruise liners anymore. As for Shingles. Same. I figure 50% is better than no percent.

What I meant for shingles was for those over 50 were recommended to get the vaccine. I may just go ahead and get the shot anyway.

In regards to the flu vaccine being 62% effective, I assume that means it protects 62% of peeps that received shots from getting the flu. Just parroting what Dr. Nancy Snyderman stated during the NBC Nightly News. Again, they refer to it as practicing medicine for a reason. :irked:

-Kevin

Racing Truth
02-08-13, 04:50 PM
Well the pneumonia has cleared up but the ribs are still quite unhappy. Augmentin is my friend.

Are you permanently ensconced in the bathrrom too (like I was yrs. ago on it)?:p

cameraman
02-08-13, 07:07 PM
Are you permanently ensconced in the bathrrom too (like I was yrs. ago on it)?:p

No, my gastrointestinal flora seems to be fully resistant to Augmentin:D

trish
02-08-13, 07:20 PM
Flu just wiped out the accounting department. So much for the company wide flu shot.

I thought the shot didn't keep you from getting the flu but made it less severe if you did get it. Either way I don't get the shot and I don't get the flu.

Indy
02-10-13, 04:51 PM
Came down with it Friday afternoon. Brutal.

I never get the shot, never get sick. May want to rethink that next year.

Insomniac
02-14-13, 12:13 AM
Actually last year they said up front that that they had missed the mark. They have to guess and commit early to the vaccine they are going to make.

I didn't know they said that beforehand.

dando
02-20-13, 07:13 PM
FYI, I caught a news report the other day about Shingles hitting younger people @ a much higher rate. The vaccine is only available for those 50 and over. There is no vaccine for younger than 50. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Tifosi24
02-20-13, 11:19 PM
FYI, I caught a news report the other day about Shingles hitting younger people @ a much higher rate. The vaccine is only available for those 50 and over. There is no vaccine for younger than 50, and it is only available if you are 50 and over. :saywhat:

-Kevin

I can't remember when my wife got shingles, but I think she was around 20. Thankfully she had a mild case, but she still said it itched like something crazy. It is strange that they have a chicken pox vaccine for kids, and the shingles for older folks, one would think they could up with something for the middle ground.

RaceGrrl
02-21-13, 12:33 AM
Looks like I qualify for the shingles vax but my doc advised against it until my symptoms are gone. Still having pain so I guess that's a symptom. Sux.

TravelGal
02-21-13, 02:23 AM
I can't remember when my wife got shingles, but I think she was around 20. Thankfully she had a mild case, but she still said it itched like something crazy. It is strange that they have a chicken pox vaccine for kids, and the shingles for older folks, one would think they could up with something for the middle ground.

Theoretically, the middle ground still has the antibodies. I guess they will be rethinking that.

WickerBill
02-21-13, 08:26 AM
So hey, like I said, shingles are horrible, but I had them, but Missy, you're indicating you'll get the vaccine after you've had them? Meaning... everything they told me about "once you have shingles it's done" is a lie?

Indy
02-21-13, 08:44 AM
I know someone who had it twice. In his forties, and again in his late 50's/early 60's.

dando
02-22-13, 01:49 PM
Report I just saw on the local news stated that the flu shot for this season was 'completely ineffective' for those 65 and older. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

cameraman
02-22-13, 02:11 PM
Report I just saw on the local news stated that the flu shot for this season was 'completely ineffective' for those 65 and older. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

That is ridiculous reporting, your immune system does not have a switch that shuts it down at 65. It may have had a lower effectiveness in older people but if it worked in any younger people then it also worked in at least some older people.

The standards for science reporting in this nation have plummeted in recent years:mad:

dando
02-22-13, 02:15 PM
That is ridiculous reporting, your immune system does not have a switch that shuts it down at 65. It may have had a lower effectiveness in older people but if it worked in any younger people then it also worked in at least some older people.

The standards for science reporting in this nation have plummeted in recent years:mad:

Then explain the spike in Shingles in those younger than 50.

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
02-22-13, 03:45 PM
So hey, like I said, shingles are horrible, but I had them, but Missy, you're indicating you'll get the vaccine after you've had them? Meaning... everything they told me about "once you have shingles it's done" is a lie?

In my experience it's a lie because I've had them twice now. A mild case the first time about 5 years ago, and a more severe case this time. I didn't really have the neuralgia last time either, but I'm having it now. Have to take Aleve every 12 hours to keep it under control. It is getting better though. My doctor said the chances of getting them again is very slim, but that's what they said the first time.

cameraman
02-22-13, 04:13 PM
Is there really a spike in the rate of shingles in those younger than 50? There is a lot of ******** out there talking about it but if you try to find the real numbers things get very sketchy, very quickly. There is a nice paper in the American Journal of Epidemiology from 2011 that tried to look at the incidence of shingles. It's free should you want to take a look (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3243933/). What they found was the data on which the study should be based were not consistent nor most likely, accurate.

Accurate rates of herpes zoster incidence and complication have become of greater interest as studies have suggested an increasing temporal trend in incidence rates across all age groups and long-term follow-up studies of vaccine effectiveness are required by the Food and Drug Administration. This study compares the results obtained from the most commonly used method to obtain herpes zoster data (rates obtained from administrative data) with results obtained when administrative data are supplemented by medical record review. Administrative billing code data identified 1,959 cases of herpes zoster in Olmsted County, Minnesota, adults between January 1, 1996, and December 31, 2001. Of those 1,959 cases, 1,669 (85.2%) could be confirmed by medical record review, a decrease in incidence rate of 14.8%, resulting in a decrease of 0.61/1,000 person-years when adjusted to the US adult population. Complication rates were also significantly different between the 2 methods. It is not clear if the 15% decrease in incidence rates would be seen in every administrative data set or if the lack of confirmation of cases may be variable in both validity and reproducibility between data sets, making estimations in temporal trends and pre/post-vaccine rates difficult to compare across data resources. It turns out that the data sets in many of these studies ultimately come from the people doing the insurance billing coding not the doctors themselves. The short if not particularly encouraging take home of this is that we really don't have anything close to an accurate grasp on the incidence rate of shingles in this country. The problem lies with the shear number of patients, over a million a year by all estimates, and the vagaries of the reporting structures in place. How much change has occurred in the medical insurance coding methodologies over the past 20 years? How are those changes effecting the reported rates of the disease? Nobody knows.

As for what we read all the time, reporters skim the papers, take numbers out of context from a figure legend, slap it up on the web, Google grabs it, it gets blogged and it is Gospel.:shakehead The truth is nobody knows for sure what is happening and the powers that be have no desire to give the NIH the ton of money it would take to figure it out for real.

Of course I am still getting the vaccine on Monday because I don't care if the rate is 600/100,000 or 800/100,000 I don't want to contribute to either value:D

cameraman
02-22-13, 04:18 PM
In my experience it's a lie because I've had them twice now. A mild case the first time about 5 years ago, and a more severe case this time. I didn't really have the neuralgia last time either, but I'm having it now. Have to take Aleve every 12 hours to keep it under control. It is getting better though. My doctor said the chances of getting them again is very slim, but that's what they said the first time.

Getting shingles once, well a million a year do it so...
Getting shingles twice, very unlucky but you're not getting in the Guiness Book of Records
Getting shingles three times, now you're getting into the downright rare category
Get shingles four or more times and you have a very rare immune system defect of some kind

dando
02-22-13, 04:23 PM
FWIW, the report on Shingles was by Dr. Nancy Snyderman of NBC News. She appears to know her ****, but I get that reporting is tilted or absent minded in many cases. It's just on topics like this, you'd like to believe it's more correct than not. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
02-22-13, 04:32 PM
It turns out that the data sets in many of these studies ultimately come from the people doing the insurance billing coding not the doctors themselves.

Since I work in the biz, I can tell you that billers in my organization don't code anything. It may have been the norm in the past, but as more doctors move to electronic health records, fewer and fewer visits are coded by billers. Our doctors code everything they do. It's not something that most doctors leave in the hands of a non-clinician since it's their contract and license on the line if something is miscoded/diagnosed. My employees do the data entry, but the data originates with the doctor. So if the data is being pulled from payer claims data, that isn't something that office clerks are deciding on their own. They're being told to bill it by their physician bosses.

cameraman
02-22-13, 04:37 PM
Since I work in the biz, I can tell you that billers in my organization don't code anything. It may have been the norm in the past, but as more doctors move to electronic health records, fewer and fewer visits are coded by billers. Our doctors code everything they do. It's not something that most doctors leave in the hands of a non-clinician since it's their contract and license on the line if something is miscoded/diagnosed. My employees do the data entry, but the data originates with the doctor. So if the data is being pulled from payer claims data, that isn't something that office clerks are deciding on their own. They're being told to bill it by their physician bosses.

Exactly, so how do you generate a 20 year incidence rate when your data collection method changed dramatically over that time?