PDA

View Full Version : Accessing Files from Old Laptop and Recommendations on New to Me Model?

KaBoom21
01-08-13, 12:46 PM
Greetings all! Long time, no speak.

I have an old Dell Latitude that took a dump on me. The first problem was bumping into something while carrying it - I swear I wasn't drunk, I'm legally blind in my right eye, so no real depth perception. The screen "cracked" for lack of a better term and I had a hard time reading it. Over time it just got worse.

Now it doesn't even power up completely like it used to with the Windows pop-up asking for name/password. I just get the prompt (C, F something like that).

Is there a way to get my documents and music files off of it via a USB-type connection?

Also, dough is tight and I need a laptop now. The idea of buying used via craigslist scares me.

I really only need Microsoft Office ability and Wifi access. I'm thinking like $200.

dando
01-08-13, 01:10 PM
I'm leery of buying anything off Craigslist, and I'm a veteran eBay buyer. Lots of laptops available in that range on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-NC6400-LAPTOP-1-83GHz-WINDOWS-7-COMPUTER-FAST-WIRELESS-WIFI-CDRW-DVD-NOTEBOOK-/170970820545?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item27cea7afc1

I'm not an expert (I just come here to read posts from those that are), but it appears your File Allocation Table (FAT) is corrupt. The data is still there most likely, but you need to boot with a recovery disk to recover the data. I suggest getting it to a good repair shop to recover the data to a CD or flash drive, and then move it to the 'new' machine.

I also recommend using Open Office or Google Docs.

I'll let the experts chime in.

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-08-13, 03:38 PM
If you have any friends who are very knowledgeable, it's best to have them take a look. Data recovery is generally complex. Which unfortunately sounds like your problem. A C:\ prompt seems odd when you have Windows. Usually you get more cryptic or alarming messages.

dando
01-08-13, 03:48 PM
If you have any friends who are very knowledgeable, it's best to have them take a look. Data recovery is generally complex. Which unfortunately sounds like your problem. A C:\ prompt seems odd when you have Windows. Usually you get more cryptic or alarming messages.

Sleepless, after going through several drive failures the past couple of years, it's a Windows machine with and FAT problem. One after a Windoze 7 'upgrade'. Luckily I didn't have any real data on it so FDISK and re-install solved the issue. I'm just not savvy on disk recovery utilities, which as you mentioned is usually complicated and can be costly for the software.

-Kevin

Elmo T
01-08-13, 04:09 PM
I'll have to check my discs at home for the name, but on my most recent laptop crash, I found a boot disk/recovery disk download that at least let me see my files and transfer what I needed. The operating system was still FUBAR, but this got my data.

It seems you need at least one working computer to help fix the busted one. :rolleyes:

Here it is: Recovery Disk (http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/)

The download as above worked for me - it allowed the computer to boot and I could recover my data by transferring to portable hard-drive. The laptop was still farked, but I got my stuff back. YMMV.

nrc
01-09-13, 11:54 AM
For replacements you might check some of the online retailers like NewEgg and Tiger Direct for refurbs. I'm not sure how it compares to eBay or Craigs list prices but at least you have a 30 return for exchange option with NewEgg. Here are a couple of links for NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100017489 40000032 4016&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834311953

KaBoom21
01-09-13, 12:10 PM
Thanks, everyone. Not sure what the actual message/prompt is, since I can't read the screen, but I know it can't be good. ;)

I do quite a bit of buying/selling on eBay, so I definitely should have considered that, especially since eBay/Paypal protection are seriously in favor of the buyer.

Probably will go the New Egg refurb route due to the guarantee. Bought some computer speakers there before, but I didn't know they handled used gear.

The old files aren't really that important - just some old resumes/contact information and music files that I downloaded for future use and never got around to. This was from 2007, so I may not even be into it anymore. Plus, chop456 would probably mock me for listening to it. :rofl:

dando
01-09-13, 01:38 PM
I can second NewEgg. I have purchased many items from them. They don't deal in 'used' goods, but they to sell many refurb items. I've had no issues with refurb products, and in some cases, I almost prefer them since there is a second set of eyes and hands on the products. I also suggest techbargains.com to look for deals. That site has caused me to spend a significant amount of $$$ over the past several years. :D

-Kevin