PDA

View Full Version : Dishwasher advice...

dando
01-04-13, 05:25 PM
I've bantered this back-and-forth this week, but want to solicit advice from the experts here. :) We have a 10-yo Jenn Air that has been servicing us well for 10 years. It's not quiet, but a number of handy features and wash cycles. It also has a front panel to match out cabinets. Anyway, it died earlier this week. I pulled it out and the outlet is still working. Looks like the main board and/or front control need replaced. Service call is $65. I priced the main board and front panel through RepairClinic.com...main board is $235 (and a $35 'cash back'), the front panel is ~$80 (not in stock). I'm envisioning scarce parts availability for such an old model. Add it all up and it comes to ~$400. Sears has a stainless steel front model for $359 (plus tax and delivery) that will come to ~$450. According to the Sears site, this unit has an MSRP of $700.

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-24inch-built-in-dishwasher-w-ultra-wash-174/p-02212093000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

This model gets good reviews in general, and the prices of other replacement models almost gave me a stroke.

As you know my situation, I'm not about to dump $$$ into the money pit pending resolving the divorce (I've made a fair offer to buy her out of the house, which was passed through the legal channels over 6 weeks ago, with no response). Do I roll the dice and hope the repairs are less than I figure, or bite the bullet and get a new model? I can also soften the blow by using gift cards bought through Kroger, which will save me ~$20 on ga$ purchases.

I've installed a dishwasher previously, so I'm somewhat savvy with the installation and hooking it up, so I can save on the delivery cost and installation. The sales guy mentioned the nylon vs. PVC coated racks, but I'm pretty sure the Jenn Air has PVC coated racks, so I'm not sold on this being an issue.

Thoughts?

-Kevin

Napoleon
01-04-13, 05:33 PM
Buy a Bosch.

cameraman
01-04-13, 05:44 PM
That's an ugly choice. A $350 machine isn't going to last if you end up staying there but you don't want to drop $900 if you're going elsewhere.

I'd get it fixed.

dando
01-04-13, 05:50 PM
Buy a Bosch.

Bosch models twice the price get worse reviews. :saywhat: I have family and friends with them, and they are whisper quiet, but since we usually turn it on before leaving for work, that's not a huge issue for me. And I know of @ two that outright failed w/in a year (I'm sure all brands are like this as well.

-Kevin

Gnam
01-04-13, 05:57 PM
I say buy the new one. The money will be spent on something visible, and it could help with selling the house later if necessary.

Also, new washing machines are quieter, but they take much longer to complete a cycle. Must be more efficient that way.

dando
01-04-13, 06:01 PM
That's an ugly choice. A $350 machine isn't going to last if you end up staying there but you don't want to drop $900 if you're going elsewhere.

I'd get it fixed.

The other issue I have is that Jenn Air is just plain crap. We had the cooktop replaced a few years ago because it just worked like crap. Took forever to heat up a pot for pasta, and the downdraft ventilation feature just sucked the heat away from the burners. Double wall ovens lost the LED display a few years ago as well. Otherwise they work well, but are off 25 degrees in temp according to the oven thermo I checked them with. Confirmed the thermo reading on ovens elsewhere. :irked:

-Kevin

dando
01-04-13, 06:06 PM
Also, new washing machines are quieter, but they take much longer to complete a cycle. Must be more efficient that way.

I think that has something to do with the new detergent formulation as well. When it switched to H2 (?) ~5 years ago, our Whirlpool high efficiency front loader washer barfed on the new formulation. Had to start using much less detergent to stop it from throwing errors.

-Kevin

cameraman
01-04-13, 07:15 PM
The other issue I have is that Jenn Air is just plain crap.

A $350 Kenmore will also be crap, just crap with a warranty.

Andrew Longman
01-04-13, 08:05 PM
Had a Fridgidaire and the motherboard got cooked twice because of where/how the steam/heat vented out the front. It also almost ruined the counter too.

The exceptional manager at Lowes took several hours with my wife to pick out a replacement. Basically he told her to pick whatever she wanted and they would cover the cost. She picked a Kitchenaid and it has been pretty good.

I have replaced a few rack pieces but the parts are readily available at Partselect.com. They are way overpriced though. I spent $70 a few months ago for top rack rollers.It has also failed to drain a few times but it easily disassembled to clean out the disposal.

Kevin that is my experience with Jennair cooktop too. We need a downdraft because the stove is in the middle of a big open space and we didn't want a hood hanging in the middle of a great room but we just don't get any btu's out of it.

dando
01-04-13, 08:09 PM

Yes, but Jenn Air is crap @ 2x or 3x the price. Sears had Jenn Air double wall ovens for $4700, dishwashers @ $1K+ and the build quality was barely better than the units we have now. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Gnam
01-04-13, 08:10 PM
Just eat over the sink, and if you have company break out the paper plates.

;)

mapguy
01-04-13, 08:33 PM
http://www.elizabethannedesigns.com/living/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/williams-sonoma-ead-living-dish-rack.jpg

:thumbup:

dando
01-04-13, 09:06 PM
http://www.elizabethannedesigns.com/living/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/williams-sonoma-ead-living-dish-rack.jpg

:thumbup:

Mappy, that's what I did for years (my mom never used the dishwasher as I grew up...some would question I ever did ;)). But when you actually like to cook for a family of four, it becomes a bit time consuming when you have ~ 2 hours to spend with the kids in the evening. Not to mention the other four kids (2 dogs, 2 cats). :(

Might be a moot point now. Just learned that the soon to be ex busted the rear window on the Explorer tonight. :shakehead

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-05-13, 12:30 AM
Kevin you know those varmint you and the ex birthed can actually was a dish, right?

The real argument is ecologically you use less water to use a (mechanical) dishwasher. ;)

Gnam
01-05-13, 03:50 AM
Might be a moot point now. Just learned that the soon to be ex busted the rear window on the Explorer tonight. :shakehead

-Kevin

Golf club?

Napoleon
01-05-13, 07:06 AM
Bosch models twice the price get worse reviews. :saywhat: I have family and friends with them, and they are whisper quiet, but since we usually turn it on before leaving for work, that's not a huge issue for me. And I know of @ two that outright failed w/in a year (I'm sure all brands are like this as well.

-Kevin

Mine has been great with no issues at all.

Elmo T
01-05-13, 09:48 AM

Our Kenmore stuff has been relatively bulletproof. Replaced a broken handle assembly myself with parts from a local appliance guy. Also did some home repairs/cleaning inside when it wasn't draining.

YMMV.

dando
01-05-13, 10:16 AM
Our Kenmore stuff has been relatively bulletproof. Replaced a broken handle assembly myself with parts from a local appliance guy. Also did some home repairs/cleaning inside when it wasn't draining.

YMMV.

Those are the kinds of things I can fix. Bugging hunting electrical/electronics issues I cannot. :(

From what I've most of the mid-level brands are about the same. Some like Maytag/Whirlpool and Frigidaire/Electrolux are just branded differently. Jenn Air is considered a premium (and priced like it), but have not been impressed from our experience. :saywhat: LG and Samsung have become top brands in the mid-level space.

-Kevin

Mr. Vengeance
01-05-13, 10:20 AM
When our very expensive and utterly useless LG mercifully died we replaced it with a Samsung 7933 and couldn't be happier. It's unbelievably quiet, it does what it's supposed to and it wasn't expensive. One of the few times I've bought an appliance and not felt like I've been gently screwed afterwards.

I did all kinds of research prior to buying it as I didn't want to make the same mistake as before (the LG). The (cheap) Bosch was on the short list but it seemed small inside, the Samsung just looked a bit better so we went with it and so far, so good.

dando
01-05-13, 11:03 AM
Looks like I will see what the repair guy has to say Monday. After digging into my budget numbers last night to factor in the Fiscal Cliff impact and school levy increase, there's no way I can swing the house. Well, I can if I become a hermit (not that I'm not already ;)), but it would be cutting it very close, and there's no way I can refi myself based on the numbers. :(

-Kevin

dando
01-05-13, 11:10 AM
When our very expensive and utterly useless LG mercifully died we replaced it with a Samsung 7933 and couldn't be happier. It's unbelievably quiet, it does what it's supposed to and it wasn't expensive. One of the few times I've bought an appliance and not felt like I've been gently screwed afterwards.

I did all kinds of research prior to buying it as I didn't want to make the same mistake as before (the LG). The (cheap) Bosch was on the short list but it seemed small inside, the Samsung just looked a bit better so we went with it and so far, so good.

My mom did have an issue with the LG fridge they bought a few years ago, but I think it mostly cosmetic, but there may have been a mechanical issue as well. The rub on that one was Lowe's in Bluffton, SC (just offshore from Hilton Head) sold LG, etc. They got a good deal, and were happy with it initially, but then noticed the issue (s). No repair company would come out to Hilton Head to service LG. :saywhat: Lowe's is literally 15 miles from Hilton Head. In any case, after some back and forth with Lowe's they let her pick out another model, so they ended up with Samsung. It's been great so far, as has ours that's about a year old.

-Kevin

cameraman
01-05-13, 02:26 PM

YMMV.

It did. The fourth time my Kenmore washing machine died I pulled the plug and went with an LG. No issues so far.

TravelGal
01-05-13, 02:37 PM
I guess it's after the fact but I agree with Mr. Vengeance. The Bosch models these days seem very small inside. I do not like the idea of the low water models with the special sauce (detergent) for either dishwashers or washing machines. Sorry, environment.

We also did our research and ended up with Sears price matching a Lowe's price on a KitchenAid. I liked the interior racking and features. Bought the service program (neither Gal nor Guy is handy with appliances) and Sears comes out once a year to have a gander to be sure everything is okay. JetDry dispenser stopped working in between and they replaced the entire inside panel of the door. No problemo.

RaceGrrl
01-05-13, 05:15 PM
TG, I'm with you. I actually buy my dishwasher detergent at a restaurant supply place now. It's the old formulation so I don't end up with that nasty white crud on my dishes.

G.
01-06-13, 12:01 AM
TG, I'm with you. I actually buy my dishwasher detergent at a restaurant supply place now. It's the old formulation so I don't end up with that nasty white crud on my dishes.

Wait.

Where? What brand?

I want some!

datachicane
01-06-13, 12:18 AM
Buy a Bosch.

I bought a Bosch 15 years ago and absolutely loved it. Best dishwasher I've ever owned, hands down. Heck, probably the best appliance I've ever owned. I raved about every chance I got.

It started acting up about eighteen months ago, looked like a bad board. Rather than sink the $$$ into the old one, I opted to replace it with another Bosch instead. I assumed the sketchy recent reviews were from folks who couldn't operate it properly or weren't familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the Bosch.

I was wrong. The new one is a colossal pile of crap.

RaceGrrl
01-06-13, 01:51 AM
Wait.

Where? What brand?

I want some!

Calgon, GFS- Gordon Food Supply. I think I paid about 7.00 a box for it, but we don't go through it very quickly with just two people in the house.

dando
01-10-13, 08:58 PM
Update...had it repaired. Broken latch...$4 part cost $99. :saywhat: However, I did get another repair done on the same service call $$$ for the microwave with a busted turntable. $147 and change for both repairs. I actually tried to check for a door closing issue, but you have to really push hard on the door to get the latch sensor let it to run. I did however find a way to jury rig it to run before the repairs were made. :D

-Kevin

Napoleon
01-11-13, 09:45 AM
I was wrong. The new one is a colossal pile of crap.

I will keep that in mind when I go to replace mine.

nrc
02-25-13, 12:13 AM
Those are the kinds of things I can fix. Bugging hunting electrical/electronics issues I cannot. :(

From what I've most of the mid-level brands are about the same. Some like Maytag/Whirlpool and Frigidaire/Electrolux are just branded differently. Jenn Air is considered a premium (and priced like it), but have not been impressed from our experience. :saywhat: LG and Samsung have become top brands in the mid-level space.

-Kevin

Evidently "Premium" means call the repair man if you need your oven light replaced because we're absolutely not going to provide any accurate information about what type of bulb that is inside the oven. Trying to order based on the Jenn Air part number in the owners manual got me a G4 12v halogen which wouldn't even fit the socket. Looks like it should be a G6.35 so I try a G6.35 12v halogen and it blows out immediately. Then I notice the "120v only" on the glass cover. Hopefully a G6.35 120v 25w will do the trick. :irked:

I should add that other than red hot rage at the lack of accurate information in the manual or on their web site we've been happy with ours. But then we didn't pay a whole lot since it was their bottom of the line slide-in at the time.

dando
02-25-13, 09:55 AM
Evidently "Premium" means call the repair man if you need your oven light replaced because we're absolutely not going to provide any accurate information about what type of bulb that is inside the oven. Trying to order based on the Jenn Air part number in the owners manual got me a G4 12v halogen which wouldn't even fit the socket. Looks like it should be a G6.35 so I try a G6.35 12v halogen and it blows out immediately. Then I notice the "120v only" on the glass cover. Hopefully a G6.35 120v 25w will do the trick. :irked:

I should add that other than red hot rage at the lack of accurate information in the manual or on their web site we've been happy with ours. But then we didn't pay a whole lot since it was their bottom of the line slide-in at the time.

The Maytag guy (RIP, Gordon Jump) gotta do something, right? :saywhat: And yes, their site is just brutal. :irked:

-Kevin