PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, 2012

Anteater
12-31-12, 02:11 PM
This was the hardest year of my life, and I will not miss it. Here's a summary:

February: my dear brother-in-law George, one of the finest people I've ever known, is diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer.
March: my father is hospitalized with pneumonia.
April: my mother passes away unexpectedly.
June: my father is diagnosed with a stubborn bacterial infection that he picked up in the hospital, from which he will never recover.
October: my brother-in-law dies 247 days after his diagnosis.
November: my mother-in-law is diagnosed with both mental illness and dementia, which actually helps explain why she treats me and my husband so horribly. We spend 3 frantic days moving her into assisted living after she fires her moving crew. My father dies at the end of the month.
December: after my father's funeral service, I trip over uneven pavement while walking my dog in the dark, and break my left foot.

There were a few bright spots along the way, for which I am deeply grateful, and which probably saved my sanity. But for the rest of it, :thumdown::( .

DagoFast
12-31-12, 02:17 PM
Sorry to hear about so much loss. I hope 2013 is magnitudes better for you.

Elmo T
12-31-12, 02:19 PM
2012 has been tough for many. Here is for a brighter 2013 for all. :thumbup::thumbup:

Insomniac
12-31-12, 03:08 PM
That a very rough 2012. I hope you and everyone on OC have a great 2013!

TravelGal
12-31-12, 03:36 PM
2012 has been tough for many. Here is for a brighter 2013 for all. :thumbup::thumbup:

That a very rough 2012. I hope you and everyone on OC have a great 2013!

The Anteaters really took some punches this year. I second the motions above. It's so difficult to keep putting one foot in front of the other when life keeps trying to kick them out from under you. I hope that foot heals and that you'll be up at running again soon.

The "Travel" family saw some major changes this year also as TravelMom went from being completely self-sufficient to needing daily care.

There were some bright spots too. I spent a great weekend in Toronto (missed Meesh, who was at a race--the nerve! LOL). National Hockey League Hall of Fame is sweet. Saw Niagra Falls for the first time. Cruised up the Ohio river on the American Queen Steamboat from St. Louis (Louisville Slugger factory tour) to Pittsburgh (Cincinnati Reds Museum along the way).

Next year TravelMom will be 99 on March 4, Lord willing. My godson, age 49, who met the love of his life just last year will be married in June in Vail, CO. So we look forward to the good things and hold fast to those we hold dear. And that, dear friends, means all of you here in OC.

Don Quixote
12-31-12, 03:49 PM
Tough year Anteater. Here's to upward trending and a healing foot. :thumbup:

devilmaster
12-31-12, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear Anteater....

For many i've talked to, 2012 definitely seems like an year many want to forget, or at the very least had major ups and downs.

Here's to all my OC friends, hoping we all have a better 13.

Anteater
12-31-12, 07:35 PM
I forgot to say, may 2013 be a better year for all of us, and a BIG "Thank you" for your support during this trying year!

The "Travel" family saw some major changes this year also as TravelMom went from being completely self-sufficient to needing daily care.

Sorry to read this, TG, having been there (but not at such a long distance!); shoot me an email if you need to talk.

dando
12-31-12, 07:54 PM
Good riddance, 2012. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

nrc
12-31-12, 07:56 PM
Very sorry that it's been such a terrible year for you, Anteater. Wishing you and everyone here a better 2013.

Gnam
12-31-12, 08:10 PM
Are we saying twenty-thirteen now? Two thousand thirteen is a mouthful.

Sometimes I catch myself saying "and" when I refer to the early 2000s. "Back in Two thousand and four, there was no such things as iPhones and Twitter was for the birds." But, I don't say the great San Francisco earthquake happened in nineteen and six. I say nineteen-o-six. Weird.

Here's to peace on earth and goodwill to men in 2013.

RaceGrrl
12-31-12, 08:12 PM
Anteater, you've had your share of horrible events this year- surely 2013 will be better for you. Take care of yourself, habibti!

trish
12-31-12, 08:14 PM
I'm just hoping to make it out alive.

Insomniac
01-01-13, 11:16 AM
Are we saying twenty-thirteen now? Two thousand thirteen is a mouthful.

Sometimes I catch myself saying "and" when I refer to the early 2000s. "Back in Two thousand and four, there was no such things as iPhones and Twitter was for the birds." But, I don't say the great San Francisco earthquake happened in nineteen and six. I say nineteen-o-six. Weird.

Here's to peace on earth and goodwill to men in 2013.

How about Oh-Thirteen?

As a kid, I had a math teacher who called out anyone who said "and" when saying a number unless it was following a decimal point.

Personally, I go with Twenty-Thirteen or Two Thousand Thirteen.

cameraman
01-01-13, 01:13 PM
Watching the Rose Parade, never seen bassoons in a marching band before.

Indy
01-02-13, 03:36 PM
I have been told that saying twenty-whatever is proper, so it is twenty-thirteen.