PDA

View Full Version : Final Final

RaceGrrl
12-09-12, 12:27 AM
Today I took my final in my capstone class. I graduate on Jan 6 (after 7 years of part-time classes) with BS in eMarketing. Since none of my siblings have anything higher than an Associates, and neither of my parents and none of my grandparents went to college, it's really important to me. Dad was living when I started it, and I surely wish he'd be able to see me graduate.

Richard encouraged me the whole way through and put up with a lot of my complaining and took up slack when I was studying. Poor guy has been pretty much the sole puppy parent over the last two months as I've finished up. I'm sure he's looking forward to having me pick that slack up! :)

Dvdb
12-09-12, 12:34 AM
Sweet...........good job and congratulations. You should be very proud of yourself.

dando
12-09-12, 12:56 AM
Congrats, Missy! :thumbup: :cool:

-Kevin

SteveH
12-09-12, 01:06 AM
Good news, Missy. :thumbup:

G.
12-09-12, 01:18 AM
That is outstanding! :thumbup:

dando
12-09-12, 06:17 AM
Can we get the title for this thread to Final Final Finally? ;)

-Kevin

WickerBill
12-09-12, 07:37 AM
Go Missy!!

Masters next! ;)

Andrew Longman
12-09-12, 08:24 AM
:D:thumbup:

And now you have some no one can ever take away.

trish
12-09-12, 08:26 AM
Congratulations on your achievement! :)

Ed_Severson
12-09-12, 08:59 AM
Congratulations! Secondary education is one of the few true self-improvements ... You may have depended on others to support you in some aspects of your life, but only you can put in the work to educate yourself.

nissan gtp
12-09-12, 09:55 AM
congrats ! :thumbup:

Insomniac
12-09-12, 11:28 AM
Great story and congratulations!

RaceGrrl
12-09-12, 11:29 AM
WB, no way am I doing a Masters, you crazy person!

My boss said he wants me doing eMarketing for our company, so that means I don't need to look for a job outside the industry I already know. I'll get to use all my healthcare background to help sell eMarketing as an additional service to our clients. It's going to be an exciting year.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to the holidays this year with no pressure of homework or tests!

Ankf00
12-09-12, 12:58 PM
that's phenomenal, congratulations!

TKGAngel
12-09-12, 02:30 PM
Congratulations! :)

cameraman
12-09-12, 02:33 PM
WB, no way am I doing a Masters, you crazy person!

PhD! PhD! PhD! ...

:D

KLang
12-09-12, 03:06 PM
Congrats! :thumbup:

TRDfan
12-09-12, 07:05 PM
Way to go Missy!!!!

Kudos to you for perserving, and to the whole family for their support and understanding.

I know what you've been going through, I just completed another semester myself, but still have 2-3 more years to go. I joke that I'll trade in my college ID for my AARP card. (it will be close)

TravelGal
12-09-12, 08:38 PM
Wonderful news. What an accomplishment. Kudos to BOTH of you for sticking it out (and sticking together) :)

RaceGrrl
12-10-12, 01:10 AM
TRDfan, I started out taking one class at a time per semester, mostly because I was afraid of failing. Not failing the class, but failing... not being good enough. As more time passed and my confidence built, I stopped taking classes on campus (although that's still my preferred way to learn- I like the personal interaction) and taking them online. It fit my schedule better. Then over the past year I started doubling up and taking them back to back and concurrently.

It's been crazy, but the closer I got to finishing, the quicker I wanted to be done. This last semester has been hell. Just forcing myself to get through it was really hard. I don't think I realized how stressed out I was about it until I finished that final. Then I went out to my car and cried because it was over. Not because I was sad it was over, but because it was finally over.

and cameraman, "PhD"? Not on your life buddy!:laugh:

cameraman
12-10-12, 02:01 AM
Really? I can't imagine why you would turn down the opportunity to spend 5 full time years in school to earn yourself the ability to become a part time (who needs benefits) adjunct professor at the local community college:saywhat:

Andrew Longman
12-10-12, 11:18 AM
Grrl, your experience in many parallels my own. I took a light load first semester because I was only 17 and wasn't really confident in my ability or what I wanted to do. In the end I graduated in 3.5 years in a hell fired hurry to get it done and really good at treating school as a (tough) job. I also was accepted to a PhD animal behavior program at Miami Ohio but turned it down. Given the economic state then, I figured I could be unemployed right away, or later. I figured, why wait?

But had I made a different choice I would have spent the last 32 years studying beaver behavior, or working at WalMart. (seriously, that was the plan. No jokes. :gomer:)

Napoleon
12-10-12, 11:31 AM
Congradulations Missy.

I also was accepted to a PhD animal behavior program at Miami Ohio but turned it down.

What is your undergrad in?

cameraman
12-10-12, 11:40 AM
I also was accepted to a PhD animal behavior program at Miami Ohio but turned it down.

A very wise decision.

Andrew Longman
12-10-12, 11:48 AM
What is your undergrad in?Double major. Psychology (with emphasis on social psychology) and Philosophy (with emphasis on ethics and political philosophy).

I always said that qualified me to be unemployed and to know why. :gomer:

Most days I have few regrets.

But I actually chose my college with plans to be a woodshop teacher and build funky furniture on the side. Many days (assuming I had a job) that seems like it would be much more enjoyable. :D

See Grrl? Who knows what will happen but a degree in hand will always be yours.

Ozarkian
12-10-12, 12:32 PM
Attending college while working is very difficult - well done and congrats on your accomplishment!!

Don Quixote
12-10-12, 01:56 PM
Congrats Missy!

Gnam
12-10-12, 02:29 PM
No more school. No more books. No more teachers dirty looks.

Congratulations. :thumbup:

Opposite Lock
12-10-12, 03:04 PM
Nice job - congratulations! :thumbup:

nrc
12-10-12, 03:56 PM
Missy won't brag on it so I'll do it for her. Except for one difficult class during the time her dad passed away and this one last capstone class which is yet to be determined, she has straight 'A's.

I'm very proud of her for all the hard work that she has put in over these past seven years. I know her family is and I'm sure that her dad is too. It's quite an accomplishment.

TravelGal
12-10-12, 10:07 PM
Missy won't brag on it so I'll do it for her. Except for one difficult class during the time her dad passed away and this one last capstone class which is yet to be determined, she has straight 'A's.

I'm very proud of her for all the hard work that she has put in over these past seven years. I know her family is and I'm sure that her dad is too. It's quite an accomplishment.

:thumbup: :)

Indy
12-11-12, 09:37 AM
Congratulations! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

nrc
01-07-13, 03:54 AM
Today Missy was officially awarded a Bachelor of Science in eMarketing, summa cumm laude.

I can't tell you all how proud I am of her for all the hard work she put into getting to this day. Seeing her in her regalia with her cords and sash and pins denoting her honors, I'm wondering if she'll be able to stop now that she knows all the accessories that you get for your outfit as you gain more achievements.

cameraman
01-07-13, 05:44 AM
PhD, PhD, PhD

http://home.business.utah.edu/mgtjwb/Pictures/Graduation05/IMG_3984.jpg

:D

RaceGrrl
01-07-13, 01:21 PM
Today Missy was officially awarded a Bachelor of Science in eMarketing, summa cumm laude.

I can't tell you all how proud I am of her for all the hard work she put into getting to this day. Seeing her in her regalia with her cords and sash and pins denoting her honors, I'm wondering if she'll be able to stop now that she knows all the accessories that you get for your outfit as you gain more achievements.

Har de har... Unless they start accessorizing honors with sparkly shoes or tiaras, that's not real likely. :p

I know I'm not the first grad to finish and then re-enroll. I like braining. It's fun.

Anteater
01-08-13, 09:23 PM
I missed this thread earlier--congrats on your achievement, RaceGrrl! :cool::thumbup: