PDA

View Full Version : Game Consoles from Santa

Elmo T
12-03-12, 03:42 PM
Emmo is itching for a new game console. We have a Wii and a PS2. Plus standard DS's for both kids.

Not sure what he wants to play - into sports games: soccer, NFL, hockey. Also likes the shoot-em up games.

He says Xbox. I was always partial to the Sony stuff.

I am sure this is like Coke vs. Pepsi - but what do you think?

Rogue Leader
12-03-12, 05:47 PM
Most places are reporting the Xbox360 will be replaced next year, while Sony will be squeezing more life out of the PS3. I personally prefer the PS3 simply for the blu-ray player and some of their first party games and all the built in connectivity to everything, although I believe Xbox has basically almost matched it. Also the PS3 uses standard stuff (USB, standard 2.5inch drives etc) for upgrades, while you need to use proprietary hardware for the Xbox.

dando
12-03-12, 07:36 PM
Emmo is itching for a new game console. We have a Wii and a PS2. Plus standard DS's for both kids.

Not sure what he wants to play - into sports games: soccer, NFL, hockey. Also likes the shoot-em up games.

He says Xbox. I was always partial to the Sony stuff.

I am sure this is like Coke vs. Pepsi - but what do you think?

My neighbor just bought a Wii U (they now have an Xbox, PS3, Wii and now a Wii U). Of course I just bought a Wii ~3 years after it was first released. Seems I'm years behind the curve when it comes to game boxes. I just packed up the PS2 since it was growing dust. :saywhat:

Wii U and Epic Mickey 2? :) I can send you my copy of Epic Mickey. It absolutely freaks Kat out. :\

Oh, and I vote for Orange Crush or a good Birch Beer. :)

-Kevin

G.
12-05-12, 12:33 PM
Others are more smarterer than me w.r.t. the technical attributes of the consoles, but from a gaming standpoint, Emmo (I assume Emmo is a kid) needs to be able to play what his friends are playing.

Also, there are a few games that are tied to the console, and only that console (Halo = xBox).

What games is he wanting to play (specifically)? Are they available on your platform of choice?

WickerBill
12-05-12, 12:45 PM
If the kiddo says Xbox, there's a reason -- and it is likely for the reason G says -- kiddo wants to play against friends, and that requires a matching console.

I'm an Xbox person, but it is a fanboy war.

dando
12-05-12, 02:50 PM
Emmo (I assume Emmo is a kid)

Emmo is 6, IIRC. Yes, the social networking aspect is an important part of gaming these days. I tried to play Call of Duty last week, and failed miserably. :saywhat: :laugh:

-Kevin

Gnam
12-05-12, 03:15 PM
If the kiddo says Xbox, there's a reason --

word. When it comes to Christmas lists or letters to Santa, No substitutions allowed. :D

G.
12-05-12, 04:32 PM
Emmo is 6, IIRC. Yes, the social networking aspect is an important part of gaming these days. I tried to play Call of Duty last week, and failed miserably. :saywhat: :laugh:

-Kevin

it was probably my kid that kicked your ass.

:gomer:

dando
12-05-12, 05:09 PM
it was probably my kid that kicked your ass.

:gomer:

I was actually playing by myself. :gomer: :saywhat: :shakehead ;)

-Kevin

Elmo T
12-05-12, 09:03 PM
Emmo is 9 now - and doesn't use the Wii for playing head to head online.

Not sure of the Xbox attraction. :confused:

I'd be partial to the PS3. Target had a new PS3 Epic Mickey bundle that looks sweet.

dando
12-05-12, 10:02 PM

Damn. I can't keep my DDs ages straight now let alone yours. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

WickerBill
12-06-12, 09:15 AM
I'd be partial to the PS3. Target had a new PS3 Epic Mickey bundle that looks sweet.

Strongly encourage you to avoid massive Christmas morning disappointment and not foist your Sony / Mickey leanings on your child who wants to play Xbox / sports games. :)

dando
12-06-12, 09:38 AM

Not sure of the Xbox attraction. :confused:

Also for the PS3, there is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16879261376

Xbox has Forza, but GT is the racing game standard (despite $ony screwing up the release dates for prior versions).

WB, Elmo and I channel inner Mickeys. :)

-Kevin

G.
12-06-12, 02:50 PM
Also for the PS3, there is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16879261376

Xbox has Forza, but GT is the racing game standard (despite $ony screwing up the release dates for prior versions).

WB, Elmo and I channel inner Mickeys. :)

-Kevin

I will defer to those more knowledgeable, but ain't nuttin wrong with Forza. Google forza vs. gran turismo and wade through the fanboy crap.
seems unbiased, I guess (http://www.screwattack.com/news/gran-turismo-5-vs-forza-4)

Note - not much for steeringwheels/pedals for xbox, really, unless you want to buy the Ferrari one$.

Again, get the boy what his friends have/want. Nine years old is too soon to be too-hip-for-the-room. YMMV

Elmo T
12-06-12, 03:47 PM
Gamer dudes at the mall say no big difference. Their take:

PS3 freebie online access
Xbox - better for first person shooters
PS3 - Better sports games
That whole motion sensing stuff is crap and fading
PS3 has new Vita (?) set that allows jumping between console and hand-held
Price - a draw
Speed - a draw
PS3 - BluRay player
Xbox has better online system but you pay.

Everything tells me go with PS3 - except his Santa list has Xbox listed as #8, 16, 17, 18, 19 on his list. Along with big arrows pointing to them. :rofl:

Of course #1 is a motorized dirt bike and the list includes WiiU and DSi. :saywhat:

dando
12-06-12, 04:47 PM
Gamer dudes at the mall say no big difference. Their take:

PS3 freebie online access
Xbox - better for first person shooters
PS3 - Better sports games
That whole motion sensing stuff is crap and fading
PS3 has new Vita (?) set that allows jumping between console and hand-held
Price - a draw
Speed - a draw
PS3 - BluRay player
Xbox has better online system but you pay.

Everything tells me go with PS3 - except his Santa list has Xbox listed as #8, 16, 17, 18, 19 on his list. Along with big arrows pointing to them. :rofl:

Of course #1 is a motorized dirt bike and the list includes WiiU and DSi. :saywhat:

Like I mentioned in my e-mail...one of each. :D

No experience the Kinect system for the Xbox, but the motion sensing for the Wii is great. The girls bowl, play Just Dance, and a few other sports games on the Wii. Kat's even got into playing boxing. Very cathartic. ;) I would personally choose the PS3 with GT, but that's just me. Not really into first-person shooters.

Back story, when Wolfenstein and the Doom first came out, we had peeps in our customer service call center that created a WAD of the floor plan. We also had a guy that used to wear a USPS hat and had an ammo box on his desk. And yet another that exuded every bit of Michael Douglas in Falling Down (which had come out around that time). :\ I had to help my female superviser handle his review. :eek:

-Kevin

dando
12-07-12, 09:39 AM
I think I have your dilemma solved.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Atari-2600-Console-Bundle-Lot-w-9-controllers-95-Games-Manuals-/300821059836?pt=Video_Games&hash=item460a5518fc

:gomer: :D

-Kevin

Elmo T
12-07-12, 03:38 PM
I think I have your dilemma solved.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Atari-2600-Console-Bundle-Lot-w-9-controllers-95-Games-Manuals-/300821059836?pt=Video_Games&hash=item460a5518fc

:gomer: :D

-Kevin

We had the Sears generic version. I miss it. :saywhat:

The boss has rendered a decision and says buy the boy what he wants. Xbox it is. Now to sort through the various bundles - hard to compare apples to apples when each store has it's own special bundle. :rolleyes:

dando
12-07-12, 04:05 PM

The boss has rendered a decision and says buy the boy what he wants. Xbox it is. Now to sort through the various bundles - hard to compare apples to apples when each store has it's own special bundle. :rolleyes:

Which boss? Erin or the work boss? :D

When I searched eBay for the 2600, I found some listed for $1K. :eek: :saywhat: If I had only known @ the time... ;)

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I'm more a PS or Wii fanboi. Of course, like I stated earlier, I'm behind the curve and likely won't buy another console until the next gen comes out and the prices drop. :)

-Kevin

dando
12-07-12, 04:24 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Epic-Mickey-Power-Xbox-360/dp/B007MM9E4C/ref=pd_sim_vg_78

http://www.amazon.com/Forza-Motorsport-4-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6E986/ref=pd_sim_vg_85

:)

-Kevin

Rogue Leader
12-07-12, 05:35 PM

Whatever you do don't go with the cheap version that doesn't have a hard drive in it. You WILL REGRET IT. Its cheaper to just buy it with the Hard drive than to fix it afterwards.

Elmo T
12-07-12, 06:08 PM
Target online bundle pack - 250G with Kinect thingy, FIFA soccer game, and 3 others. Done.

dando
12-07-12, 06:53 PM
Target online bundle pack - 250G with Kinect thingy, FIFA soccer game, and 3 others. Done.

So what did you get for Emmo? ;)

-Kevin

Elmo T
12-07-12, 08:56 PM
So what did you get for Emmo? ;)

-Kevin

Believe me - that is his. He pulled out the PS2 and annoyingly asked "did you ever buy anything other than racing games..." :laugh:

dando
12-07-12, 09:15 PM
Believe me - that is his. He pulled out the PS2 and annoyingly asked "did you ever buy anything other than racing games..." :laugh:

Sounds like he needs a copy of Just Dance. ;)

-Kevin

Winston Wolfe
12-08-12, 11:34 AM

Elmo - good call :thumbup:
you did your boy right... I had the same dilemma and posted the same question last year. XBOX was the right choice, espcially if his buddies are all playing on line as well. Kinect will allow your other kids to remain active, like the Wii does, and you can get Forza4 and the recently released Forza Horizons, which also has an online component as well.
And yes, I can confirm that both driving games are super good, and you can race on the Top Gear track, as well as Laguna Seca and other fan favorites with F4....
Your boy is now gonna start logging some couch / recliner time playing this new thing, and so are you ! :cool:

G.
12-08-12, 03:13 PM
Why do I feel strangely vindicated that you went with xBox? :laugh:

In yo face, dando!

: pathetic me

The kinect is actually cool, but you must have the right room for it. Big, no pesky furniture nearby.

It creeps me out that it might be listening and watching me though. Better watch it right back.

dando
12-08-12, 04:35 PM
Why do I feel strangely vindicated that you went with xBox? :laugh:

In yo face, dando!

:pathetic me

The kinect is actually cool, but you must have the right room for it. Big, no pesky furniture nearby.

It creeps me out that it might be listening and watching me though. Better watch it right back.

Dude, I have no dog in this fight. I rarely play video games. All three platforms have strengths and weaknesses. I'm just not a first-person shooter gamer. I prefer GT for racing, but the Wii is preferable for family activities for the DDs (Just Dance, Beach Sports, etc.). Our collection consists of 10 ten titles. About the same number for the PS2 that I boxed up recently.

So :p :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Elmo T
12-11-12, 03:54 PM
So the Xbox gets delivered today. Missing the games from the bundle pack. I spend 20 minutes on the phone with customer service - only to have them tell me the games ship separately. Maybe a note on the shipping list would have saved me the time. :flame::rolleyes:

WickerBill
12-29-12, 09:58 AM
Hey Elmo, how did this go over on Christmas morning?

Elmo T
12-30-12, 09:33 PM
Hey Elmo, how did this go over on Christmas morning?

Santa brought JUST what he wanted. He has played some every day, but we have to limit it - he gets a little bonkers when he plays too much. Needs to go out and run around some. ;)

I don't see the difference between the consoles. I HATE the Xbox interface - Windows 8 type thing. Took me 10 minutes to find the "marketplace" which isn't called that anymore. :saywhat:

Sofie and Emmo split the cost and bought this:

F1 Stars (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2234800/Science-tech-Review--F1-Race-Stars-Xbox-360--PS3--PC.html)

F1 meets Mario Kart :laugh: