PDA

View Full Version : Smoke to the 500?

dando
12-01-12, 09:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/8696968/tony-stewart-offered-indianapolis-500-ride-roger-penske

LAS VEGAS -- Tony Stewart long has insisted he's given up his childhood dream of winning the Indianapolis 500.

He might have to reconsider.

What seemed like a throwaway line in Roger Penske's speech Friday night appears to be an actual offer for Stewart to drive the Indianapolis 500 next year. The team owner tossed it out while accepting the Sprint Cup trophy and lauding Stewart, last year's champion.

"I know we took your spot this year," Penske said. "But you're a car owner . you're a race driver, you're a track promoter -- how about doing the double at Indy this year? Are you available?"

-Kevin

stroker
12-01-12, 11:30 PM
If they want people to watch, why not just cut to the chase and do a human sacrifice or an execution or something?

Opposite Lock
12-02-12, 01:18 AM
I might be able to get more into it if they'd do something more meaningful... like build the World's Biggest Door, then attach a giant Hot Wheels track to it and have some daredevil drive down it in a truck and do an awesome jump across the infield.

Bonus points if they have Bob Cole direct infield traffic control during the event.

opinionated ow
12-02-12, 06:50 AM
you sure he didn't mean the little 500? :D

Indy
12-02-12, 03:48 PM
If they want people to watch, why not just cut to the chase and do a human sacrifice or an execution or something?

Um, I think they've tried that multiple times. Still not exciting enough.

NismoZ
12-03-12, 11:34 AM
Obviously Indy needs all kinds of help and if Roger thinks Tony Stewart is worthy (of course he is) then sign him up. Why not? If he WANTS to do it, if he gets paid well for it then signing for the most successful program in Indy history might be the right thing to do. I believe it would be popular with the dwindling numbers of IndyCar fans and if he wins or does very well then NASCAB fans can say they really DO have the best drivers in the world!:rofl:

Elmo T
12-03-12, 12:47 PM
If "500 the Lesser" wants to gain recognition and respect, they will have to recruit THE BEST drivers in the world. And THE BEST drivers are found in NASCAR now.

Sarcasm off - the sad fact is that top drivers are found so much in NASCAR (regardless of opinions on that style of racing) because what are their choices nowadays? :thumdown:

Chief
12-03-12, 01:21 PM
Ok, I'll be the first to mention it, HE'S TOO FAT to get in a crapwagon. PLUS, you'd have to invent zero gravity ballast as nothing but removing the Danika weight rules could propel that tub-o-lard fast enough to win the five hunnert.

Yeah, you were thinkin it too. :laugh:

http://raakit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/tony-stewart-fat-98049.jpg

NismoZ
12-03-12, 01:36 PM
Yeah, but I didn't SAY it!:) Isn't there a vid out there someplace with Hamilton wondering if Tony will fit in the McLaren for that Watkins Glen Mobil One promo?...Stewart says Hamilton "looks ridiculous" sitting way down in the 14 Car? Have to say, I caught that test live on Speed and there were lots of smiles all around, despite the rain.

Andrew Longman
12-04-12, 01:08 AM
Yeah, but I didn't SAY it!:) Isn't there a vid out there someplace with Hamilton wondering if Tony will fit in the McLaren for that Watkins Glen Mobil One promo?...Stewart says Hamilton "looks ridiculous" sitting way down in the 14 Car? Have to say, I caught that test live on Speed and there were lots of smiles all around, despite the rain.How old was AJ when got out of a car for the last time? I could see Smoke doing it but no one else of note. It simply doesn't pay enough or create sufficient sponsor value.

That said I am holding a little hope for Zanardi.

And is at the Glen for the swap and I was indeed one of those smiling faces standing in the rain.:D

Rogue Leader
12-04-12, 01:16 AM
How old was AJ when got out of a car for the last time? I could see Smoke doing it but no one else of note. It simply doesn't pay enough or create sufficient sponsor value.

That said I am holding a little hope for Zanardi.

And is at the Glen for the swap and I was indeed one of those smiling faces standing in the rain.:D

He attempted to qualify for Indy in 1993 but did not. I believe he drove cabs as well occasionally for a bit after that.

Rus'L
12-04-12, 04:23 PM
Yeah, but I didn't SAY it!:) Isn't there a vid out there someplace with Hamilton wondering if Tony will fit in the McLaren for that Watkins Glen Mobil One promo?...Stewart says Hamilton "looks ridiculous" sitting way down in the 14 Car? Have to say, I caught that test live on Speed and there were lots of smiles all around, despite the rain.

Stewart did lose weight that year in order to fit into the F1 car. When he's motivated, he'll hit the gym.