PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday cometh...

stroker
11-19-12, 08:37 PM
I need recommendations for a guy who needs to buy into a cell phone of some kind (aka me). I don't want a Smart Phone or anything with ridiculous levels of technology unless it is STUPID cheap--virtually free. All I really need is a phone with great big buttons so my old eyeballs can see them and simple so my alcohol-pickled brain can figure it out. If anyone sees anything that's a good recommendation, fire away.

I see Sears is offering a 50" TV for $300. I don't have the money but I might have to buy one on principle.

I might be interested in a stereo, especially if the TV doesn't happen. The soon-to-be ex took it with her.

If you see a particularly hot deal, put 'em up.

NismoZ
11-19-12, 09:26 PM
You can get a free Apple iPhone 4-8GB with a new 2-year activation from Verizon.

stroker
11-19-12, 10:41 PM
You can get a free Apple iPhone 4-8GB with a new 2-year activation from Verizon.

What's the month to month?

NismoZ
11-19-12, 11:31 PM
I think $62/mo. got us the iPhone and 700 min. w/data (for #1 son) and we split 700 min. and got 2 free basics for us... for $80/mo. Think he'll pay us on time every month for cutting him in on the deal?:laugh: I have no idea if this is a good deal for US, but the kid didn't seem too bummed about not getting (or paying) for an i5, and free basic phones suit us just fine. If you don't need a smart phone there are TONS of inexpensive basics out there waiting to be sucked up on Fri. Verizon opens at 8:00! (PS...we ditched the house land line long ago.)

G.
11-20-12, 12:51 AM
(thanks, chop!)

Virgin mobile, "unlimited" data, 300 mins voice, $35/month. You buy your phone, so the newer ones are pricey. IIRC, you can bump up the voice mins for fairly reasonable.

I don't really have any guidance on the phones themselves.

TravelGal
11-20-12, 02:13 AM
(thanks, chop!)

Virgin mobile, "unlimited" data, 300 mins voice, $35/month. You buy your phone, so the newer ones are pricey. IIRC, you can bump up the voice mins for fairly reasonable.

I don't really have any guidance on the phones themselves.

NB, that $35 is plus tax. At least it is here in CA. I use it and bought a LG Optimus Elite for $99. Doesn't seem to be on sale at the moment, however, at least not through Virgin. It is about as dumb as you can get and still be connected. The HTC Evo is a better unit but was quite a bit more money.

dando
11-20-12, 07:53 AM
NB, that $35 is plus tax. At least it is here in CA. I use it and bought a LG Optimus Elite for $99. Doesn't seem to be on sale at the moment, however, at least not through Virgin. It is about as dumb as you can get and still be connected. The HTC Evo is a better unit but was quite a bit more money.

Virgin had them on sale for $239 (not sure if that is still available or not). I had BBY price match that and I received $80 for my trade in on a Samsung Captivate, which I purchased through Wirefly for $10 2 years ago. I basically got it for 1/2 MSRP. That was a steal. Very nice handset. ICS is MUCH better than Froyo. Silly 3D camera feature, but it's fun to play with and the girls think it's neat-o. :) Taxes apply everywhere on all phone plans.

Stroker, Black Friday deals here (http://www.theblackfriday.com/).

-Kevin

TravelGal
11-22-12, 01:22 PM
That it is a yowza link but I prefer the paper and a cuppa so I've just seen that the best deal on the PHONE appears to be at Best Buy. Droid Razr Maxx 4G LTE is FREE with 2 year Verizon activation. ("Unactivated" price is list $799.99 they say.)

Samsung Galaxy S II and III are FREE and $49.99 with Spring or AT&T 2-year activations, respectively. No idea of the monthly on them. Get the best deal on that and consider it buying the phone on the installment plan while you get the service thrown in.

dando
11-22-12, 01:26 PM
That it is a yowza link but I prefer the paper and a cuppa so I've just seen that the best deal on the PHONE appears to be at Best Buy. Droid Razr Maxx 4G LTE is FREE with 2 year Verizon activation. ("Unactivated" price is list $799.99 they say.)

Samsung Galaxy S II and III are FREE and $49.99 with Spring or AT&T 2-year activations, respectively. No idea of the monthly on them. Get the best deal on that and consider it buying the phone on the installment plan while you get the service thrown in.

Cautionary tale on Black Friday smartphone deals:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57553306-94/buyer-beware-black-friday-smartphone-deals-not-so-hot/

On a side note, I heard mention of Gray Thursday to go along with Black Friday and Cyber Monday. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

TravelGal
11-22-12, 03:35 PM
Cautionary tale on Black Friday smartphone deals:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57553306-94/buyer-beware-black-friday-smartphone-deals-not-so-hot/

On a side note, I heard mention of Gray Thursday to go along with Black Friday and Cyber Monday. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Lots of employees losing their holiday as the black creeps into today. Some at midnight, some at 3 or 4 PM. I'm heading to Nordstroms this weekend because their ads state "No Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving. We like to celebrate one holiday at a time." But then, are the employees there today putting up those decorations??? :\

The article cited only talks about the phones, not the contracts. How can it not be a good deal to get a free phone (unloaded or not; Stroker doesn't care) if the price of the contract is constant?

dando
11-22-12, 04:06 PM
Lots of employees losing their holiday as the black creeps into today. Some at midnight, some at 3 or 4 PM. I'm heading to Nordstroms this weekend because their ads state "No Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving. We like to celebrate one holiday at a time." But then, are the employees there today putting up those decorations??? :\

The article cited only talks about the phones, not the contracts. How can it not be a good deal to get a free phone (unloaded or not; Stroker doesn't care) if the price of the contract is constant?

The rub is in the contract. Smartphones require data plans, and with the major providers, that's ~$90/mo. Insane. When I did the math, the phone paid for itself w/in 6 mos. even @ full price. Which is why I switched back to Virgin for $35/mo., and I really can't complain about the service thus far. Plus, deals are available elsewhere like eBay. I was scouring eBay this AM and found several decent deals on Virgin phones like the EVO (replacing my mom's ancient cell that she never uses :saywhat:).

Of course I was initially looking for charms for the charm bracelet I bought for the DDs to give to my soon to be ex for ~$1K. As I told Elmo via e-mail, I'm an idiot. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
11-22-12, 04:28 PM
I just saw the EVO V for Virgin dropped to $199 through Virgin Mobile. :eek:

Virgin Mobile has the HTC EVO V 4G Smartphone for a low $199.99 Free Shipping (see price in cart). Tax in most. This is the lowest price we have seen.

Features a 4.3" 540x960 3D LCD Display & Camera and powered by a 1.2GHz Snapdragon S3 dual-core processor & 1GB RAM; 5MP Camera w/ 3D Stills + 1.3MP front facing camera & 720p HD video recording. Comes pre-loaded with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich; Includes 4GB onboard; microSD for expansion.

-Kevin

nrc
11-29-13, 05:57 AM
It's baaack.

Woot-Off going on as well..

KLang
11-29-13, 09:54 AM
My email inbox runeth over this morning. :irked: Three times the usual amount of ads. Haven't been tempted by anything so far.