PDA

View Full Version : Best restaurant review ever?

Dvdb
11-14-12, 02:00 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dining/reviews/restaurant-review-guys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html?_r=0

I always thought the guy was a prick, so I did get perverse pleasure in this.

extramundane
11-14-12, 02:19 PM
Tony Bourdain said the place was "like TGI Friday's and Nickelback f***ed Giants Stadium." :laugh:

Elmo T
11-14-12, 03:27 PM
And when we hear the words Donkey Sauce, which part of the donkey are we supposed to think about? :laugh:

Of course my wife made us eat in Mars 2112, so what do I know about good food in Times Square.

Napoleon
11-14-12, 03:45 PM
Wow - this is the second reference I have seen to this review, which I printed out to read tonight, on the intertubes today and I am not talking food sites. It must sting.

cameraman
11-14-12, 03:51 PM
It was about as brutal as it gets and the discussions of the review are everywhere.

Rogue Leader
11-14-12, 04:20 PM
I have eaten there when it first opened, while the review is a bit rough I can't say I disagree. My ex girlfriend got this chicken mac and cheese thing that was obviously microwaved, and not hot all around. I got the meatloaf which was ok, but the spices made my throat burn after a while even though it wasn't that hot. Neither of us finished it. The desert was ok but nothing special either. Atmosphere was kinda cool, kinda TGI friday's with less **** on the walls. But I expected way better.

dando
11-14-12, 04:23 PM
I saw this mentioned on the Today Show this AM, but had to get the girls on the bus. Brutal x11. Bourdain pulls no punches. :thumbup: Of course now he's on CNN now, which is lame. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Napoleon
11-14-12, 06:18 PM
OK, that was one of the funnier things I have read in a while. Talk about brutal.

Some of the comments are pretty good, like: "This sounds like a job for Chef Robert Irvine and the Restaurant Impossible team!"

dando
11-14-12, 06:41 PM
Finally read through the whole article. That left a mark. :eek:

-Kevin

KLang
11-14-12, 07:36 PM
Alton Brown tweeted earlier today he was going to check out the place this weekend.

Brutal review. I wonder, East coast vs. West coast thing?

I do enjoy a bit of triple-D. :p

dando
11-14-12, 07:44 PM

GZvZ95rRJRs

Watch about 6 minutes in. :eek: :D I'd like to know how that came out the other end. :rofl: Classic.

EDIT: I'm a chilehead, but there is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever try anything containing ghost peppers. I've done habaneros, and that is my limit.

-Kevin

Napoleon
11-14-12, 07:44 PM

Although I find Guy a bit annoying, it is a good show to have on when you are cooking dinner or something where you do not need to pay attention all the time.

datachicane
11-14-12, 07:52 PM
Guy is annoying as heck, but some of the restaurants on his show are cool.

I thought his game show gig made it clear that he was more a 'personality' rather than a chef. There's no way I'd make the assumption that he actually knew his way around a kitchen. Friends who've eaten at his Tex Wasabi and Johnny Garlic were not exactly impressed, so I have no reason to think his Times Square location is an anomaly.

Napoleon
11-14-12, 07:57 PM
Hilarious, NBC News ran the story on the nightly news a few minutes ago. They sought a comment from him and he refused to comment. Really? He couldn't be bothered to say he thought his places are great?

dando
11-14-12, 08:00 PM

I thought his game show gig made it clear that he was more a 'personality' rather than a chef. There's no way I'd make the assumption that he actually knew his way around a kitchen. Friends who've eaten at his Tex Wasabi and Johnny Garlic were not exactly impressed, so I have no reason to think his Times Square location is an anomaly.

Guy is the male Rachel Ray. Unfortunately most of FoodTV has become that way since Emeril and Alton were pushed aside. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
11-14-12, 08:01 PM
Hilarious, NBC News ran the story on the nightly news a few minutes ago. They sought a comment from him and he refused to comment. Really? He couldn't be bothered to say he thought his places are great?

He's still stinging from the 666 wings. :D

-Kevin

datachicane
11-14-12, 09:13 PM
Guy is the male Rachel Ray. Unfortunately most of FoodTV has become that way since Emeril and Alton were pushed aside. :saywhat:

-Kevin

I'd rather eat than watch TV about food, but Alton is cool. My 13-yr old daughter has filled a chunk of my media server with Alton Brown and Bill Nye. Could be worse.

dando
11-14-12, 09:20 PM
I'd rather eat than watch TV about food, but Alton is cool. My 13-yr old daughter has filled a chunk of my media server with Alton Brown and Bill Nye. Could be worse.

I'm a foodie, so I use the FoodTV shows to base my recipes on, but I rarely follow them directly. I can remember when FoodTV first started and they broadcast Scripps Howard shareholder meetings as filler. :saywhat: They've become a reality show network the past couple of years. :irked: Of course I used to watch the Frugal Gourmet and the original Iron Chef (which aired @ midnight or so) years ago. I'm a tech and food geek. :D I love the way Alton incorporated food science into his shows. :thumbup:

-Kevin <=== self-taught 'chef' :)

cameraman
11-14-12, 09:39 PM
I was always kind of partial to The Galloping Gourmet myself:laugh:

Easy
11-14-12, 09:55 PM

Based on his readily available bio information, Guy "Fieri" (he changed his name from Ferry) has almost no culinary training. From Wiki: He has a degree in hotel management, and worked in several restaurants but has no formal training as a chef.

He's a guy who by his own wisdom or someone else's found a niche and made a boat load of cash. I'm no fan but, whatever. I'm not his target demo anyway.

dando
11-14-12, 10:07 PM
Based on his readily available bio information, Guy "Fieri" (he changed his name from Ferry) has almost no culinary training. From Wiki: He has a degree in hotel management, and worked in several restaurants but has no formal training as a chef.

He's a guy who by his own wisdom or someone else's found a niche and made a boat load of cash. I'm no fan but, whatever. I'm not his target demo anyway.

Pretty much the same as Rachel Ray, which is why I referred to him as the male Rachel Ray. Neither have any real culinary training. :shakehead

-Kevin

Dvdb
11-14-12, 10:33 PM
Didn't he win some kind of reality "Next Food Network 'Star'" kind of deal? I'm too lazy to wiki him.

dando
11-14-12, 10:38 PM
Didn't he win some kind of reality "Next Food Network 'Star'" kind of deal? I'm too lazy to wiki him.

Yup. I think he was first 'winner'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fieri

Nope second 'winner'.

-Kevin

TravelGal
11-14-12, 10:49 PM
Satire (directed sarcasm?) is hard to pull off and this got me several times. I'm going to laugh all night at the baked Alaska metaphor.

Through this thread I have learned that I am not the only one who thinks Rachel Ray is a waste of matter and energy. If there were ever a case for book burning, her cookbooks could make it.

Dvdb
11-15-12, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the research, Kevin.

Now I wonder how involved he really is. Maybe licenses his name and likeness?
I can't imagine his Times Square joint is going to be open too much longer.

Opposite Lock
11-15-12, 01:34 AM

I thought his game show gig made it clear that he was more a 'personality' rather than a chef.

Yep. Plus, I cannot accept anyone as a "chef" who turns their nose up at offal meat, let alone eggs. :saywhat:

But I have watched and enjoyed (way too) many episodes of "The Triple D". And of the local restaurants he has featured on the show that I've been to*, I'd say he's batting around .750 or so. A few have dishes that are totally "on point".

Still, I can't get past his disdain for liver. Liver is "off the chain".

And eggs. Eggs are "money".

:fistbump:

*btw, he stencils a caricature of his head (in day-glo spray paint) along with a Sharpie autograph onto the walls of the participating establishment.
:tony: <- this guy, but with his sunglasses on the back of his head.

:gomer:

Andrew Longman
11-15-12, 06:11 AM
Triple D is a good show if for no other reason it gives exposure to good local non chain restaurants.

As for his Times Square shop, sorry but I don't trust anything in Times Square since Gulliani "Disneyfied" the place in the 90s. There are a billion good places to eat in Manhattan without being tempted by the faux stuff geared to tourists in Times Square.

Napoleon
11-15-12, 06:20 AM

Yes, I remember watching him on it. And now he has a Lamborghini.

Napoleon
11-15-12, 06:25 AM
I'm a tech and food geek. :D I love the way Alton incorporated food science into his shows. :thumbup:

I have only seen this show on while channel surfing and have not watched it for more then a few seconds (I think on an digital alternative channel for PBS) but I have twice heard interviews on Terry Gross' radio show with two people from America's Test Kitchen and it sounds like their show is the same type of approach.

dando
11-15-12, 06:52 AM
Through this thread I have learned that I am not the only one who thinks Rachel Ray is a waste of matter and energy. If there were ever a case for book burning, her cookbooks could make it.

I'm still trying to scrub the images from brain of her FHM photo shoot (http://www.fhm.com/girls/covergirls/rachael-ray/gallery) from a few years back. :saywhat:

-Kevin

cameraman
11-15-12, 09:44 AM
Yeah, you had to add the link and essentially dare us to look, didn't you:saywhat:

dando
11-15-12, 09:56 AM
Yeah, you had to add the link and essentially dare us to look, didn't you:saywhat:

I couldn't resist. :gomer: Careful or I'll post Danicle's Maxim shoot next. :D :p

-Kevin

cameraman
11-15-12, 10:09 AM
I'm not that stupid:p

nrc
11-15-12, 11:16 AM
I couldn't resist. :gomer: Careful or I'll post Danicle's Maxim shoot next. :D :p

-Kevin

Talk about feast or famine...

Napoleon
11-15-12, 11:27 AM
Guy responds. (http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/guy-fieri-responds-to-pete-wells-he-had-an-agenda_b71722)

datachicane
11-15-12, 11:43 AM
Guy responds. (http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/guy-fieri-responds-to-pete-wells-he-had-an-agenda_b71722)

Ah, America, where all criticism==bias.
:rolleyes:

Napoleon
11-15-12, 11:51 AM
Ah, America, where all criticism==bias.
:rolleyes:

Even Murdoch's NY rag didn't like it. (http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/food/not_our_type_of_guy_zEVBjNbOzqTXWiqWK4SpdK)

Ed_Severson
11-15-12, 01:30 PM
Take me to flavor town! (http://ny.eater.com/archives/2012/09/introducing_the_guy_fieri_dish_generator.php) :laugh:

Gnam
11-15-12, 02:29 PM
from the dish name generator: :laugh:

5 a.m. salmon poppers with drunken monkey wontons, $25 (no sharing).

Jamaican me crazy cod rolls with Uncle Dino's Texas toast, $18.75.

Twisted USDA certified angus quesadilla with blistered steamed veggies, $21.

extramundane
11-15-12, 04:03 PM
Guy's NFL-inspired menu items: http://www.sbnation.com/2012/11/15/3650202/the-list-guy-fieri-nfl-menu

cameraman
11-21-12, 02:01 AM
And Gordon Ramsay tries to out-horrible Guy Fieri:shakehead

Fat Cow? Fat Chance. Gordon Ramsay's New Grove Restaurant Disappoints (http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/11/fat_cow_fat_chance_after_eatin.php)

How does the Fat Cow stack up against Maggiano's, for instance? California Pizza Kitchen? If you were at the mall with your kids and you wanted a meal -- and you needed a drink, for chrissake -- would the Fat Cow be better than the other crap you find in most malls?

There are two answers to this. One: Not at this mall, where I'd rather eat at Short Order or one of the other options in the adjacent Original Farmers Market. Two: Not if you're comparing prices. The dinner I had with my family at the Fat Cow was perhaps comparable qualitywise to a standard American mall meal, but it cost about twice as much. As in, three cocktails, three appetizers, three entrées, no desserts, $200-plus.

extramundane
11-21-12, 05:58 PM
Ramsay's not making any friends anywhere right now.

http://eater.com/archives/2012/11/20/bourdain-slams-gordon-ramsays-spotted-pig-trademark-as-shameful-pathetic.php

Napoleon
12-27-12, 02:43 PM
I forget where but in the last week or so I heard/read that the bad reviews actually increased traffic at his restaurant. I guess many people wanted to see if it really was as bad as the reviews said it was.