PDA

View Full Version : Speed is dropping F1

cameraman
10-12-12, 12:00 PM
The Speed cable channel will end its 17-year relationship with Formula One after this season, The Associated Press has learned.

Two people familiar with the negotiations said F1 was in talks with NBC for U.S. broadcast rights and the contract would not be renewed with Speed. The people spoke Friday on condition of anonymity because there was no official announcement.

NBC did not immediately respond to a request for comment, nor did a spokesman for Speed.

The series' governing body, FIA, declined comment, noting that TV deals are handled by Formula One Management. The series is in South Korea this week for the Korean Grand Prix.

Speed partnered with F1 in 1996 in the network's first full season on the air. Speed moved to live coverage in 1997, and has expanded to live coverage of qualifying and practice sessions of the most popular motorsports series in the world.

Broadcasting from a studio in Charlotte, the booth of Bob Varsha, Steve Matchett and David Hobbs is considered by many fans to be the best in motorsports. The excitable trio breathes excitement into often single-file racing, and closely follows storylines and strategy despite being halfway around the world from most of the tracks.

The departure of F1 comes as Speed parent company Fox moves closer to rebranding the motorsports network into a broad-based national sports network. Fox has not commented on the rebranded channel, expected to be called Fox Sports 1, but it is expected to be heavily utilized in the eight-year television contract announced earlier this month with Major League Baseball.

It's not clear what NBC would do with F1.

NBC Sports currently broadcasts the bulk of the U.S-based IndyCar Series, and announced last month a deal with Robby Gordon to televise the inaugural season of his Stadium Super Trucks. Gordon inked a deal that gets 12 races televised – seven of them on NBC. The television contract for IndyCar is split between ABC, which owns the network broadcast rights, and NBC Sports, which airs races on cable.

:shakehead:flame::cry:

mueber
10-12-12, 12:51 PM
Who knows. This could be good news.

Rogue Leader
10-12-12, 12:55 PM
Who knows. This could be good news.

True, theres no way that F1 won't be broadcast here, its just a matter of whether its tape delayed or live, and whether we get qualies and practice.

This news is less that Speed is dropping F1 and more that Fox is dropping Speed. Which even though its 60% NASCAR, really does suck.

DagoFast
10-12-12, 01:26 PM
Hopefully ESPN will get it. I wonder if they can still find the broom closet where they stored John Bisigano?

extramundane
10-12-12, 01:31 PM
Hopefully ESPN will get it. I wonder if they can still find the broom closet where they stored John Bisigano?

He was the pit reporter for the online stream of the SCCA Runoffs.

He was not good.

Gnam
10-12-12, 01:32 PM
Wonder if Fox Sports 1 will still carry NASCAR, or if all motorsports are out?

Easy
10-12-12, 01:38 PM
My hope is that the current package is essentially retained with P1 and especially qualy televised. And for the love of whatever, don't tape delay in the age of twitter. It is damn near impossible to not find out who won a GP within 6 hours of completion. I unfollow Buxton every GP weekend but if I wait until after noon to watch the DVR'd race I will either see a retweet, get a text message, or an email with the spoiler in the subject line. If they tape delay to late afternoon I'll have to lock myself in a dark room with no outside communication all Sunday.

Keep Varsha and Matchett in the booth, Buxton in the paddock and Hobbes to tell stories about the 60s and 70s.

Rogue Leader
10-12-12, 01:45 PM
My hope is that the current package is essentially retained with P1 and especially qualy televised. And for the love of whatever, don't tape delay in the age of twitter. It is damn near impossible to not find out who won a GP within 6 hours of completion. I unfollow Buxton every GP weekend but if I wait until after noon to watch the DVR'd race I will either see a retweet, get a text message, or an email with the spoiler in the subject line. If they tape delay to late afternoon I'll have to lock myself in a dark room with no outside communication all Sunday.

Keep Varsha and Matchett in the booth, Buxton in the paddock and Hobbes to tell stories about the 60s and 70s.

Ohh man I have to completely avoid facebook on a race sunday or it totally ruins the race.

mueber
10-12-12, 02:16 PM
NBC got the contract. Don't know anything more. http://jalopnik.com/5951245/speed-will-lose-f1-after-this-season-and-thats-probably-a-good-thing

TrueBrit
10-12-12, 02:55 PM
He was the pit reporter for the online stream of the SCCA Runoffs.

He was not good.

Correct, he was dreadful...

TrueBrit
10-12-12, 02:57 PM
NBC got the contract. Don't know anything more. http://jalopnik.com/5951245/speed-will-lose-f1-after-this-season-and-thats-probably-a-good-thing

Hmmm...that other news about Faux turning Speed into an all-sports channel doesn't bode well for Le Mans coverage does it...:confused:

Elmo T
10-12-12, 03:55 PM
I smell more taped delay races. :yuck:

If, more realistically, it goes on NBC Sports, it could also be a good thing. F1 could be the marquee sport for the entire network,

Seriously? :rolleyes:

mueber
10-12-12, 04:20 PM
I have a feeling that News Corp didn't try too hard.

Agip27
10-12-12, 04:48 PM
I sure hope they don't muck it up and only show the races tape delay. Balls, if they do! NBC mucked up the 100mm finals in London by showing it tape delay, so I could only imagine.....:shakehead

The writing was on the wall in May, when Speed showed a soccer game, that FOX was going to do something with Speed and turn it into an all sports channel. But, don't they all ready own Fox Sports? What the heck? :saywhat:

Back up plan: www.thefirstrow.eu

You get stream from BBC or Sky and of Le Mans from Eurosports. Another reason to cancel cable, I guess......

gjc2
10-12-12, 06:21 PM
I think this really stinks. I can’t imagine they’ll have live coverage of the races and I’m sure they won’t air qualifying. I think this really stinks (I know I said that twice)

Rex Karz
10-12-12, 06:42 PM
One-hour package of taped highlights. Aired at 2:00 a.m. on Tuesdays.

Darrel Waltrip does the commentary: Boogity. Boogity. Boogity. There go the lights. Let's go racing, boys.

WickerBill
10-12-12, 06:58 PM
NBC has lots of hours to fill with their two cable sports networks. I personally hope they just broadcast the BBC coverage, but that's doubtful.

Pick up Diffey, Matchett, Hobbs, and Buxton and broadcast everything, NBC!

Rex Karz
10-12-12, 07:30 PM
Or NBC realizes that the EARL might not make it through 2013, let alone to 2014 and decides that afternoon broadcasts of F1 on a taped-delay basis will be more profitable than live EARL events.

At this stage am wondering if the American F1 fan base might not be bigger than the American EARL fan base.

chop456
10-12-12, 07:39 PM
Or NBC realizes that the EARL might not make it through 2013, let alone to 2014 and decides that afternoon broadcasts of F1 on a taped-delay basis will be more profitable than live EARL events.

At this stage am wondering if the American F1 fan base might not be bigger than the American EARL fan base.

At this point, the National Indoor Lacrosse League has a bigger fan base than that farce. :yuck:

I like WB's plan. Could buying the BBC rights be cheaper than doing their own production?

SteveH
10-12-12, 07:50 PM
I think this really stinks. I can’t imagine they’ll have live coverage of the races and I’m sure they won’t air qualifying. I think this really stinks (I know I said that twice)

Why won't coverage be aired live? Considering the time in the US when live there are very few other if any sporting events occurring that would conflict.

Tifosi24
10-12-12, 10:15 PM
Why won't coverage be aired live? Considering the time in the US when live there are very few other if any sporting events occurring that would conflict.

This is a very good point. It is also important to remember that NBC Sports shows every stage of the Tour de France live and they also showed several other one day classics live last spring. They have also showed a few Indycar qualifying sessions. Heck, I am watching college hockey, live, right now. I personally prefer NBC Sports over the Mouse Network at this point, because they actually show sports and they don't have Chris Berman.

cameraman
10-12-12, 10:41 PM
It would be nice if they bought GP3, GP2, F1, WRC, MotoGP, ALMS, LeMans & WEC and actually did racing right. Toss in cycling, hockey (should they ever play again) some college football and even the America's Cup. Hell I'd be quite happy...

Agip27
10-13-12, 12:49 AM

They aren't showing anything live right now (Korean qualifying) and during race time tomorrow either....

My concern is, what will they do when they do have something to show. I.E during the Tour de France or especially during the Olympics? Also, bet we have around 10 races on NBC itself, and all tape delay....Balls!

SteveH
10-13-12, 12:59 AM
Three have been tape delayed each season for broadcast on Fox for the past few years. But if you know how you can watch a live stream on your PC. I've done that for the last two or three years.

WickerBill
10-13-12, 07:19 AM
I'm hoping that, for the tape delayed races, they also show it live for the hardy fans out there. Speed did that for a season or two (showed the race twice).

We can probably all agree that this could be pretty good news... or it could be horrible and drive us all to the newsgroups to get Sky / BBC coverage.

Gnam
10-14-12, 01:20 AM
I have the low expectations.

DagoFast
10-14-12, 11:28 AM

That was all part of the vissuns.

Indy
10-14-12, 12:26 PM
Maybe Tony will come to the rescue somehow. :tony:

gjc2
10-14-12, 02:49 PM

I have very low expectations.

If NBC out bid Fox/SPEED they’re going to have to get more value out of the races. One way will be to air the races at a time that more people will see them. I also think they’re going to feel that they’ll have to dumb down the coverage to get fans.

Also if some golf game goes into extra innings the time will come out of the F1 race.

I hope I’m wrong.

ps: I know golf doesn’t have innings.

Agip27
10-14-12, 04:13 PM
I think Red Bull should start their own channel: They would have covered the Felix Baumgarthner jump live for example. I watched on my iPhone.

Red Bull TV would show Moto GP, Rally, F1, Super Cross, World Cup Ski racing, and all the extreme craziness Red Bull sponsors. No commercials, no B.S, just cool stuff 24-Hours a day! :D:rofl::thumbup:

WickerBill
10-14-12, 04:34 PM
When Vettel goes out with mechanical trouble, do they just stop broadcasting that race? :)

4wheeldrifter
10-14-12, 04:40 PM
Mit der ChoppenBlokker retiring for good, seems like odd timing for NBC.

Rogue Leader
10-14-12, 05:42 PM
I think Red Bull should start their own channel: They would have covered the Felix Baumgarthner jump live for example. I watched on my iPhone.

Red Bull TV would show Moto GP, Rally, F1, Super Cross, World Cup Ski racing, and all the extreme craziness Red Bull sponsors. No commercials, no B.S, just cool stuff 24-Hours a day! :D:rofl::thumbup:

The jump was covered live on Discovery Channel

Andrew Longman
10-15-12, 02:27 AM
The jump was covered live on Discovery Channelbut I suspect more people watched on their iPhone. Times they are a changin'

cameraman
10-15-12, 03:26 AM
but I suspect more people watched on their iPhone. Times they are a changin'

What a waste of a full HD broadcast. They had some very high end cameras hanging off of that capsule, a 3" screen and a 320p youtube feed would not have done those images justice.

Andrew Longman
10-15-12, 03:50 AM
What a waste of a full HD broadcast. Yeah well I guess flash is good enough. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/14/red-bull-stratos-youtube_n_1965375.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

cameraman
10-15-12, 04:08 AM
Yeah the youtube numbers were huge but I can't fathom why anyone who gets the Discovery channel would choose to watch the youtube feed. We watched it on Discovery and the video was very impressive.

Andrew Longman
10-15-12, 05:32 AM
Yeah the youtube numbers were huge but I can't fathom why anyone who gets the Discovery channel would choose to watch the youtube feed. We watched it on Discovery and the video was very impressive.Yep.

But it is also an age thing. I was in a NAPA buying a taillight when Trevor called me and told me the jump was a go and I could see it on my phone.

Little did he know I had planned my day to be done fixing the lamp in time to be plunked down on my sofa with a beverage toggling between the NFL and the jump on a big HD TV (that Trevor actually bought for the family).

Insomniac
10-15-12, 12:03 PM
Hoping they stay live. While I usually time shift, it's the first thing I watch Sunday. I suspect they end up doing something similar to FOX. Live mostly, tape delay to network for ratings.

WickerBill
10-15-12, 04:49 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/49410415/ns/sports-motor_sports/

The Doctor
10-15-12, 08:37 PM
I can work with that... As long as they truly mean "all" practice and qualifying sessions, although I can live with one per day like Speed had. Big plus to streaming online, but is that a free service they offer or is it a pay service? Or is it akin to ESPN3/Watch ESPN where it's down to cable provider?

Also, looks like the 4 NBC races should all be live and from this side of the world, with Brazil, Canada, and Austin specifically mentioned the other live event should be Jersey provided it takes place.

Edit: Canada and last three races of season on NBC... Moderate fail, but live stream should still be up.

Tifosi24
10-15-12, 09:51 PM
I can work with that... As long as they truly mean "all" practice and qualifying sessions, although I can live with one per day like Speed had. Big plus to streaming online, but is that a free service they offer or is it a pay service? Or is it akin to ESPN3/Watch ESPN where it's down to cable provider?

Also, looks like the 4 NBC races should all be live and from this side of the world, with Brazil, Canada, and Austin specifically mentioned the other live event should be Jersey provided it takes place.

Edit: Canada and last three races of season on NBC... Moderate fail, but live stream should still be up.

Cameraman can probably fill in some details with the streaming from watching as much Tour de France as I did, but I believe their streaming service is fee based. That being said, I think someone could get most everything for the cycling season, with unlimited streaming to mobile devices, for $20 or $30. That seems reasonable to me.

cameraman
10-15-12, 11:04 PM
Yeah the TdF cost me something like $29- Excellent coverage tho'

Gnam
10-16-12, 01:56 AM
Who is on the current Indycar broadcast team?
...now picture them with Bob Costas.

Can it get any better? I submit that it cannot. :p

Dvdb
10-18-12, 12:42 AM
Just saw an F1 commercial on NBC.............."two networks................something something"

I've been celebrating the Cards win.

NismoZ
10-18-12, 02:09 PM
Done deal. Change and hope?

The Doctor
10-18-12, 02:59 PM
After reading around the interwebs a little... The NBC Sports Live Extra is apparently the NBC Olympics app/website re-branded and will work similar to ESPN3, where if you have the right cable provider you are given free access. So it seems pretty good... Although I remain cautiously guarded in my optimism about the future.

Rus'L
10-18-12, 05:58 PM
After reading around the interwebs a little... The NBC Sports Live Extra is apparently the NBC Olympics app/website re-branded and will work similar to ESPN3, where if you have the right cable provider you are given free access. So it seems pretty good... Although I remain cautiously guarded in my optimism about the future.

Will they sell access if you don't have the right provider?

Mary
10-19-12, 07:08 AM

Ditto.

Mary

The Doctor
10-29-12, 06:06 PM
NBC buys the rights to the Premier League... going all Euro on us now. This helps boost my hopes for F1 coverage because it looks like they're spending serious money to turn NBCSN into a legit network.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1205785/nbc-buys-tv-rights--for-premier-league-in-u.s.?cc=5901

WickerBill
10-29-12, 08:45 PM
Not good news for live European races though...

Tifosi24
10-29-12, 09:26 PM
Not good news for live European races though...

Probably not a huge impact seeing as Bernie has dropped the number of Euro races down to the bare minimum and the majority of these races are during the summer off-season.

extramundane
11-15-12, 07:09 PM
Hobbs, Matchett & Shreiking Aussie Harpie for NBC. SAH apparently anchoring Indycar as well.

Gnam
11-15-12, 07:17 PM
No Varsha? Denied. :(

WickerBill
11-15-12, 09:01 PM
SAH?

No Varsha... keep grumpy Hobbs... very good, very good

opinionated ow
11-15-12, 09:06 PM
congratulations on keeping leigh diffhead. You're more than welcome to him. Love from Australia. :p

Gnam
11-15-12, 09:17 PM
SAH?

Shreiking Aussie Harpie

He's notso bad. He's just Leigh Diff-ay. :p

extramundane
11-15-12, 09:17 PM
SAH?

Shreiking Aussie Harpie.

Marshall Pruett's suggesting Will Buxton might also end up a NBCSN, but for Indycar. Poor bastard.

cameraman
11-15-12, 09:59 PM
Shreiking Aussie Harpie.

Marshall Pruett's suggesting Will Buxton might also end up a NBCSN, but for Indycar. Poor bastard.

That would be a horrific career move.

pfc_m_drake
11-15-12, 10:29 PM
Will Buxton To Indycar and Bob Varsha to the crapper.

Awesome. Just perfect.

:flame: :(:(:shakehead

NismoZ
11-16-12, 12:39 PM
GAME ON, BOYS!:D (maybe we need to hold on to our hollyhocks!?) That's fer CERTAIN sure!...when they...cycle around.

WickerBill
11-16-12, 02:07 PM
There are no great options for lead announcer for a US-based F1 broadcast. Diffey is, for all his detractors, much better than what Varsha has become.

Best option, of course, remains just rebroadcasting Sky or BBC coverage.

Gnam
11-16-12, 02:31 PM
Diffey is, for all his detractors, much better than what Varsha has become.

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder? :saywhat:

I object to this statement most vociferously.

WickerBill
11-16-12, 02:52 PM
We could talk over many, many beers on this. Varsha makes more mistakes per hour than any other sport's lead announcer I can imagine. I also watch the UK feed(s) every race, and the "I'm just a pretty voice" vibe becomes more and more apparent. He can't tell cars apart, he forces in anecdotes on top of Hobbs/Matchett trying to deliver race content, and repeats the same tired, dull "commentary" every...single...race. He whines about how early in the morning it is in NC. He puts on some hideous fake accent when trying to pronounce place names (Bahrain was particularly awful, as he pronounced it about twelve different ways this year). And his tone has degraded to an "I know more than everyone listening to me" which is particularly grating.

He is less than half of what he used to be. He hasn't always been a cliched, mistake-prone, undereducated (on the subject, not in general) announcer. But last year and this, especially, he has gone downhill remarkably.

Blinders off Gnam!

Insomniac
11-16-12, 04:32 PM
Will Buxton To Indycar

Ouch. On site at F1 events to Indycar.

Indy
11-18-12, 09:57 PM
I think Buxton is good, but his enthusiam + IndyCar's suckage will make him sound like an English infomercial con man.

And I don't think Varsha is that bad, but neither is Diffey. They all get old and start repeating themselves at some point. Anyone else cringe when Hobbs calls Hamilton "Louise" or Matchett waxes faptastic over the importance of the mechanics?

I would love to just get the BBC feed, at least some of the time.

SteveH
11-18-12, 10:26 PM
I would love to just get the BBC feed, at least some of the time.

That's possible if you can find a stream on the innerwebs. Usually justin.tv has something. Problem for me is getting up that early. But I would usually do it on the races that were taped delayed and broadcast on Fox. BBC or Sky Sports coverage is superior to Speed.

TravelGal
11-19-12, 12:50 AM
We could talk over many, many beers on this. Varsha makes more mistakes per hour than any other sport's lead announcer I can imagine.
snip
He is less than half of what he used to be. He hasn't always been a cliched, mistake-prone, undereducated (on the subject, not in general) announcer. But last year and this, especially, he has gone downhill remarkably.

Hadn't read most of this thread until now but I'm glad I took the time. Today was the first F1 race I've watched in its entirety for a very long time. I was simply astonished at the difference in Varsha from years gone by. I thought it was just me. I'm sorta sad it's not. He had a great voice that always commanded my attention. Today I mentally tuned him out. :(

chop456
11-19-12, 03:41 AM
We could talk over many, many beers on this. Varsha makes more mistakes per hour than any other sport's lead announcer I can imagine. I also watch the UK feed(s) every race, and the "I'm just a pretty voice" vibe becomes more and more apparent. He can't tell cars apart, he forces in anecdotes on top of Hobbs/Matchett trying to deliver race content, and repeats the same tired, dull "commentary" every...single...race. He whines about how early in the morning it is in NC. He puts on some hideous fake accent when trying to pronounce place names (Bahrain was particularly awful, as he pronounced it about twelve different ways this year). And his tone has degraded to an "I know more than everyone listening to me" which is particularly grating.

Blinders off Gnam!

If not for Bob, would you be aware that before you can race, first you must qualify? I thought not.

Now apologize. :D

Indy
11-19-12, 09:00 AM
Regardless, I am glad the entertainment-for-morons Rupert Murdoch abortion SPEED Channel is dying. **** truck series practice, Kenny Wallace, and Pinks.

WickerBill
11-19-12, 06:18 PM
If not for Bob, would you be aware that before you can race, first you must qualify? I thought not.

Now apologize. :D

Stahhhp!!! Huge pet peeve :)

stroker
11-19-12, 07:56 PM
Varsha's been "mis-speaking" a bunch of late but I'll still take him over anyone else out there, especially Diffy Duck. That 'strine accent automatically disqualifies him IMHO.

Gnam
11-20-12, 03:15 AM
The list goes:
1. John Madden/Pat Summerall
2. Varsha/Hobbs/Matchett
3. japanese Howard Cosell

All other announcing options are less than, substandard, not in spec, 404 file not found. :p

gsywLclz8A8

JohnHKart
11-24-12, 09:54 PM
What is driving me mad about Speed's coverage: The constant need to endlessly show clips during practice of what happened five years ago , two years ago, one year ago, 30 minutes ago, five minutes ago. Enough !!!! I know about it already and I don't f***ing care!!!!!

JLMannin
11-29-12, 12:13 AM
I watch F1 via streaming since I fired my cable company 14 months ago. I get the Sky Sports coverage with no commercials. Resolution is not the greatest, but it is acceptable on my 32" TV.

Trevor Longman
11-29-12, 01:38 AM
The final sign off was very touching. A great look back on the last decade and a half of grand prix racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhl-oN1PUs

Rex Karz
11-30-12, 05:15 PM
The final sign off was very touching. A great look back on the last decade and a half of grand prix racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhl-oN1PUs

Whoops. This account has been toiminated.

cameraman
11-30-12, 05:48 PM
Whoops. This account has been toiminated.

Bernie's IP police strike again.:rolleyes:

NismoZ
11-30-12, 06:41 PM
Glad I saw it soon after posting as I missed it on The broadcast. I just shook my head as I recalled watching Sam Posey and David Hobbs back in their F-5000 days. Have LONG been two of my favorites. Thanks!

WickerBill
11-30-12, 08:20 PM
The last F1 Debrief on Speed is at 10p ET tomorrow and will *not* be rebroadcast. If you're into that sort of thing.

NismoZ
11-30-12, 09:28 PM
Sure:thumbup:...right after Aussie V-8s, British Touring Cars, World Touring Cars and Porsche Super Cup!

JohnHKart
12-01-12, 12:11 AM
I watch F1 via streaming since I fired my cable company 14 months ago. I get the Sky Sports coverage with no commercials. Resolution is not the greatest, but it is acceptable on my 32" TV.

Hmm.. Yea. Whenever I screw up my Dvr recording or cable gets screwed up I download the Sky broadcast. Have a little bit of trouble with understanding the accents but the coverage is far superior , no question about it . Missed Brasiliaq2 and 3 and dowloaded it last week. Sky rules!

JohnHKart
12-01-12, 12:13 AM
The last F1 Debrief on Speed is at 10p ET tomorrow and will *not* be rebroadcast. If you're into that sort of thing.

Thanks never watched it but will this one . Scared me thought it was on now . Sat at 7/10 it is!

cameraman
12-19-12, 08:59 PM
And NBC finally got around to finalizing Will Buxton's contract, he will be continuing as pit reporter.

Insomniac
12-19-12, 11:43 PM
And NBC finally got around to finalizing Will Buxton's contract, he will be continuing as pit reporter.

Great news for Will!

The Doctor
03-07-13, 12:32 PM
Schedule is out for F1 on NBC... Color me less than 100% satisfied, but better than it could have been.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51040773/ns/sports-motor_sports/

14 races on NBCSN, 1 on CNBC, 4 on NBC. All appear to be live except, perhaps, for Spa.

Friday Practice 2 aired on NBCSN along with Quals, other sessions streamed. Not all practices and qualifying sessions shown will be live, some will be delayed.

NismoZ
03-07-13, 04:06 PM
Great...I can see 5 out of...what, 19?:irked:

Easy
03-14-13, 08:25 PM
NBCSN's web site is pretty awful. I appreciate the specific sport focused blog format a la PFT but have a real mothership web site as well. Also, most tumblr pages have more professional looking design than motorsportstalk.com

What I'm saying is, I can't find their damn live streaming page anywhere and I don't want to wait for the tape delayed FP1 broadcast! :D

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
Weak sauce. Found it, no live FP1. We're off to a bad start NBC.

Gnam
03-14-13, 08:42 PM
from the world of smackedforum:

How to live stream BBC race coverage using Google Chrome or Firefox.
http://www.smackedforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1051

Rus'L
03-20-13, 03:33 PM
NBCSN's web site is pretty awful. I appreciate the specific sport focused blog format a la PFT but have a real mothership web site as well. Also, most tumblr pages have more professional looking design than motorsportstalk.com

What I'm saying is, I can't find their damn live streaming page anywhere and I don't want to wait for the tape delayed FP1 broadcast! :D

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
Weak sauce. Found it, no live FP1. We're off to a bad start NBC.

In one of the press releases, they said that live streaming will be working "later in the year." It also seemed to indicate they will be live streaming everything, not just the sessions not on TV.

(P.S. I agree with your comment about their website. Love MST, hate the site.)

Rus'L
03-20-13, 03:36 PM
Schedule is out for F1 on NBC... Color me less than 100% satisfied, but better than it could have been.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51040773/ns/sports-motor_sports/

14 races on NBCSN, 1 on CNBC, 4 on NBC. All appear to be live except, perhaps, for Spa.

Friday Practice 2 aired on NBCSN along with Quals, other sessions streamed. Not all practices and qualifying sessions shown will be live, some will be delayed.

TWO races are on CNBC.

And why aren't you satisfied? They are showing more hours than SPEED did last year, better post race shows, and numerous repeats (again, more than SPEED did).

The Doctor
03-20-13, 06:01 PM
TWO races are on CNBC.

And why aren't you satisfied? They are showing more hours than SPEED did last year, better post race shows, and numerous repeats (again, more than SPEED did).

At the time they only listed one on CNBC, but they also didn't have the correct times for some races either. It's now 2, but it doesn't make a huge difference either way.

Why am I not satisfied? They made a big hullabaloo about streaming everything via the NBC Sports Live Extra (formerly Olympics) app/website which would have given live access to all the sessions. In reality, it's a different setup via TV Everywhere... which is basically available only to Verizon FIOS subscribers at this moment, from what I've seen. (Edit: Oh, and I'm also not satisfied because at least SPEED had basically every qualifying and practice live... which is not the case at NBC).

So basically they've taken the same format that SPEED had (which was OK, not great, but serviceable) and transported it to a different network. They need to leverage the digital platforms and get them out to a wider audience and do something new and exciting to get people interested in and aware of F1 on NBC. A pre-race show (which we already got at SPEED) and a post-race show (which you got at SPEED... but a week later... which at times was nice because you got a full recap and highlights and decent pre-packaged pieces).

Long story short... NBC hyped the crap out of it. Now they need to follow-through.

Easy
03-21-13, 08:13 PM
In one of the press releases, they said that live streaming will be working "later in the year." It also seemed to indicate they will be live streaming everything, not just the sessions not on TV.

(P.S. I agree with your comment about their website. Love MST, hate the site.)

Absolutely, I think its great that NBC embraced specialist (blog type) sites from the start, unlike espn who's own journalistic integrity could stand a few lessons from 'blog' outfits like Gawker Media and SB Nation.

That said, as a broadcaster they should also have a traditional news and programming info site. Of course it is an NBC property. Their management make AOWR's look like a long line of Steve Jobses.

Insomniac
03-21-13, 11:42 PM
TWO races are on CNBC.

But pre-race is not better.

Indy
03-22-13, 11:09 AM
I remember not having coverage. I am very happy with NBC. :)

FCYTravis
03-22-13, 11:26 AM
It is interesting/great to have Bob Varsha back in the chair - I'm glad NBC was able to work out a deal to bring him in as a fill-in when Diffey is doing IndyCars. The backstage dynamics of all this are pretty screwy, I'm sure.

I mean no disrespect to Leigh Diffey and I think he's a great broadcaster in his own right - always did a fine job with Grand-Am. I've just grown up as an F1 fan knowing no other American voice for the series but Bob Varsha, dating back to the days of ESPN Speedworld. It's going to be a hard habit to break.

The Doctor
04-11-13, 05:21 PM
Chinese GP will be shown on NBC Sports Live Extra and the rest of the season from here out... too bad very few people can actually use that service thus far.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/11/nbc-sports-live-extra-to-stream-chinese-gp/