PDA

View Full Version : Geeks: "Cloud" Exchange backup

WickerBill
10-09-12, 09:07 PM
I'd like to "lose the tapes" from a small shop I do work for on the side. Looking at ibackup.com, MozyPro, CarbonitePro, SOSonlinebackup.... any ideas or suggestions or experience?

(I fully expect this to get no replies except attempts at humor... but I thought I'd ask :) )

opinionated ow
10-09-12, 09:24 PM
Cloud 9? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkLq8qKpk6g)

SteveH
10-09-12, 10:03 PM
I signed up about a month ago for CrashPlan, got a year free. It might take that long to get everything copied to their servers. That initial copy takes forever unless you have a fat outbound pipe.

nrc
10-10-12, 12:10 AM
I recently started using Crashplan for backing up home systems to our ReadyNAS. It's simple and so far trouble free. I'm not sure how effective it would be for Exchange. I've heard that they'll let you backup to a drive and then send it to them to seed your cloud backup.

If you're going to pay for cloud backup why not just use hosted email to begin with?

extramundane
10-10-12, 07:53 AM
If you're going to pay for cloud backup why not just use hosted email to begin with?

I can only speak for myself, but based on the "We're Out of Coffee"-scene-from-Airplane-style panic that sets in around here if we lose internet connectivity for more than 15 minutes, a lot of places are not culturally ready to move a critical application offsite. And to be honest, based on the Microsoft support horroshow I had to deal with when I was trying to set up a Live@Edu pilot, I'm not sold on the support options just yet myself.

As for backup, we're not using anything online at the moment, but I've been toying w/ Symantec Cloud Backup. The last pricing quote I got was a little over $3 per 10GB per month (I think that's retail rate, not an edu discount) , which is a little more than some of the others, but since it directly integrates w/ Backup Exec, it may well be worth it.

Indy
10-10-12, 09:48 AM
I am switching from Sugarsync, which came with a low introductory rate (then later got expensive), to CrashPlan, which seems to be highly rated and very inexpensive. I agree that the initial backup is slow. I am in the middle of it now, a couple hundred gigs uploading at about 1MBPS, which means I will be waiting for days, if not weeks, for it to finish. But monthly it costs 5$ for unlimited storage for a home account, and it includes stuff the others only include if you buy their premium plans. I would have been paying at least $20 with iCloud or Dropbox and $15 with Carbonite (for equivalent services).

KLang
10-10-12, 10:34 AM
I, like nrc, do our backups at home to a ReadyNas. Don't think I'm comfortable with some our data leaving the house.

Question for those using cloud backups. If it takes days to back up how long will it take if you need to recover?

WickerBill
10-10-12, 12:25 PM
I use ibackup.com today to back up five servers (one Exchange and one SQL). Initial seeding was slow, but restore is fast (think about your average home internet pipe -- 4-5x faster downstream than upstream).

I'm not thrilled with the backup granularity, and renewal is next month, so I figured it was time to look around...

Insomniac
10-10-12, 04:22 PM
Kinda surprised MSFT hasn't expanded SkyDrive to the enterprise to do this stuff.

Indy
10-10-12, 10:39 PM
I, like nrc, do our backups at home to a ReadyNas. Don't think I'm comfortable with some our data leaving the house.

Question for those using cloud backups. If it takes days to back up how long will it take if you need to recover?

In my case, for a fee you can get overnight delivery of media for a total recovery. Plus, as someone mentioned, my download speeds are much faster.

Still, pretty irritating right now. :irked: