PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Hose Part #2

Elmo T
10-04-12, 08:16 AM
Subaru had major work done last month. 2 warped heads with leaking head gaskets. Dealer yanked the motor, machined the heads, all new gaskets and soft parts. Thankful for the extended warranty on this one.

Everything looking good until the weather got a bit cooler. I leave the climate control setting on AUTO year round and just adjust the temperature.

Past week has seen some sticky weather and the condensate line is dripping water. LOTS of water. Like a giant puddle beneath the car. Even of the muggiest of August days, it never leaked like this. Clearly water, not coolant or oil. Crawled under and confirmed it is coming from the condensate line.

Thoughts? :confused:

chop456
10-04-12, 08:27 AM
Whenever it's a big job that the dealer doesn't do a lot of*, them putting something back together incorrectly is always the first thing that comes to mind. Tighter belt on the compressor? Unclogged hose?

*Not sure head gaskets on a Subaru falls into this category - sorry. :\

Elmo T
10-04-12, 09:08 AM
Called dealer this AM - speculates that they may have actually fixed the hose and it is now working properly. Not sure where all that water went previously. :rolleyes:

On the head gaskets - so I've learned. The party line has this being less common with the 6 cylinder - but not unheard of.

Andrew Longman
10-04-12, 10:04 PM
Mysterious double post

Andrew Longman
10-04-12, 10:06 PM
I would tend to agree with the dealer that he actually fixed it. The heads don't have a lot to do with the AC but a good mechanic will clean and inspect everything before putting it back on the car.

As for where the water used to go, I had a 96 Prelude which formed an unnoticed clog and eventually I could hear water sloshing around in the dash. IIRC it was about $1200 to rip out and reassemble the dash.

And dang it has been humid around here the last few days. Worse in DC though where I was this morning.

Elmo T
10-05-12, 09:22 AM
Not water sloshing in the dash or foot-wells prior - so not sure where it was going.

As the mechanic pointed out: "better out than in" ;)

dando
10-05-12, 09:33 AM
Perhaps now that it has now been fixed 'properly' the coolant system is working as expected? I also assume that perhaps the previous overheating issues meant the water was going into 'space'? It's also been rather humid on our side of the world this week, so maybe it's a reflection of the weather. I see a bunch of condensation discharge under the Bimmer when it's humid, which has been a bunch this summer (now fall).

-Kevin

cameraman
10-05-12, 11:40 AM
Subies are renown for leaving puddles on the ground. There was something about the design that let the water build up when the car was moving and it would all drain once you parked it. They also plug up so you could easily have had a plugged drain line.

Elmo T
10-05-12, 02:16 PM
The humidity has been crazy lately. I've seen the puddle, but never this large. Large enough it was running down the driveway to the street.

The "mystery" overheat was just as my regular mechanic ID'd - compression gases in the radiator --> two warped heads.

After that fiasco, I was a little rattled to find that giant puddle under the car. :saywhat:

Next up - new tires. :yuck: