PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Indycar: The worst of 2012 with the worst of CCWS

opinionated ow
10-01-12, 10:28 AM
Add to the Annus horribilis that was Indycar 2012:
-Houston Grand Prix on that dreary Astrodrome street circuit
-Saturday and Sunday races at Belle Isle, Toronto and Houston
-Standing starts at those three races
-A 'triple crown' of super speedway races except Pocono is only going to be 400 miles for some reason that nobody quite knows...

extramundane
10-01-12, 10:34 AM
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/jg6dlp

From the story by @trippmickle: "Former IndyCar Series CEO Tony George has put together an investor group that includes some of the sport’s top team owners — Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske, Michael Andretti and Kevin Kalkhoven — as well as motorsports marketer Zak Brown that recently proposed the board sell them the IndyCar Series. The group has hired the Midwest-based law firm Faegre Baker Daniels and begun a financial due diligence evaluation of the series."

:rofl:

Rogue Leader
10-01-12, 10:59 AM

Second verse... same as the first!

NismoZ
10-01-12, 11:41 AM
Financial due sillygence evaluation!? You mean :tony: is going to pay THEM to take the whole mess off their hands?:gomer:

Gnam
10-01-12, 11:45 AM
Financial due sillygence evaluation!? You mean :tony: is going to pay THEM to take the whole mess off their hands?:gomer:
Will he have the right currency this time? :tony:

TKGAngel
10-01-12, 12:12 PM
I find it funny that the series official TV partner is NBC Sports Network, but the schedule was announced on Speed, which is owned by Fox.

-Standing starts at those three races

Close. One race of the doubleheader weekend is a standing start. The other is a rolling start.

Racing Truth
10-01-12, 02:30 PM
1. I find it funny that the series official TV partner is NBC Sports Network, but the schedule was announced on Speed, which is owned by Fox.

2. Close. One race of the doubleheader weekend is a standing start. The other is a rolling start.

1. I actually think it was very smart to do that. For years, the sport has needed to go beyond the already converted.

2. Correct.

Gnam
10-01-12, 02:47 PM
One race of the doubleheader weekend is a standing start. The other is a rolling start.

Shoot. Why not use both styles of starts at the same time?

Racing Truth
10-01-12, 02:47 PM
Substantively, to the ownership mess, just add Gerald to that mess and you'll have... the Best. Trainwreck. Evah.:rofl::gomer: Seriously, :shakehead.

On the schedule, the 9/1-10/5 break is absurd and a problem. Pocono is 400 miles to fit ABC window, per RB.

stroker
10-01-12, 03:21 PM
1. I actually think it was very smart to do that. For years, the sport has needed to go beyond the already converted.

2. Correct.

Who are these "already converted" of which you speak?

SteveH
10-01-12, 03:24 PM
needs more...

http://www.racebyrace.com/gallery2004/images/Premiere2004/220_2040s.jpg

Racing Truth
10-01-12, 03:26 PM

Fair point, but it only boosts my point. Programming only on NBCSN in and around races brings in no one new.

Gnam
10-01-12, 03:29 PM
In Indy math, how many turns is the Pocono track? 3, 4, 5?

Three turns would decrease the grater opportunities by 25% percent. :thumbup:

Racing Truth
10-01-12, 03:35 PM
In Indy math, how many turns is the Pocono track? 3, 4, 5?

Three turns would decrease the grater opportunities by 25% percent. :thumbup:

Seriously looking forward to seeing OW cars navigate the Tunnel Turn again.:thumbup:

July 4th weekend just became an interesting racing weekend in the US- Daytona 400 miler on Sat. and Pocono ICS on Sunday.

Ed_Severson
10-01-12, 03:36 PM
For all the bragging he did about it, if I was Randy I'd have been embarrassed to put my name on that schedule. What a disaster.

Racing Truth
10-01-12, 03:50 PM
For all the bragging he did about it, if I was Randy I'd have been embarrassed to put my name on that schedule. What a disaster.

Some of the speculation came from, well, the interwebs (like COTA, Richmond). Think they kinda tried to get Kentucky in Sept. (they ought to try again, IMHO), and definitely tried Providence ("ran out of time"). The 6-week gap is really bad, IMHO.

I'm open to doubleheaders, but execution will really matter (ie., how will it work). Could be dumb, could be a "good value."

The one thing I'll say is that it's out early, unlike last years "written in pencil" special.:shakehead

And, apparently, the TX night race on ABC- an interesting surprise.

All in all, meh, on paper.

stroker
10-01-12, 08:49 PM
Haven't people been saying for almost 15 years that Texas World speedway isn't suitable for open wheel racing? I believe they used to race there back when speeds were 40 mph slower in the 70's and 80's, but has anyone overcome the objections? I have recollections of people saying the facility was the oval version of Belle Isle...?

Lux Interior
10-01-12, 09:06 PM
I think Memo Moreno summed it up best when he said "we race, we take chances":D

TravelGal
10-01-12, 09:57 PM
The one thing I'll say is that it's out early, unlike last years "written in pencil" special.:shakehead

All in all, meh, on paper.

I'm wondering if it's any more solid than the graphite version from last year.

I had forgotten that this forum let's us use the word "paper." :laugh::laugh:

Oh, and SteveH, the next time you do that (put that man's picture up here), I'm gonna go over there and smack you upside the head. Closest I came to barfing in a long time. :yuck:

SteveH
10-01-12, 10:09 PM
Worse than when I posted Flavio in a thong? :rofl:

extramundane
10-01-12, 10:42 PM
Oh, and SteveH, the next time you do that (put that man's picture up here), I'm gonna go over there and smack you upside the head. Closest I came to barfing in a long time. :yuck:

Oh you should see him in person these days. 40-50lbs heavier, teeth yellower and more chiclet-y than ever.

Sorry.

TravelGal
10-01-12, 11:09 PM
You should be. Sorry, that is. What a visual. (too bad we don't have that barfy thing)

Steve: I'm not speaking to you Hands on ears, over eyes, LA LA LA LAAALAAAA

SteveH
10-01-12, 11:44 PM

chop456
10-02-12, 01:22 AM

If he'd ever heard of the irl, he should have been embarassed to take the job in the first place.

TedN
10-02-12, 06:18 AM
New TV package for Canadians.

Another part of the decision to award Toronto two races was the fact IndyCar had just signed a new television contract with Rogers Sportsnet to carry all 19 races live next season.

Link (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/01/indycar-doubleheaders)

Ted

Elmo T
10-02-12, 08:05 AM
Philly TV coverage on the return to Pocono is here:

<<I will insert a link when they decide to cover it>>

Local coverage online consisted of this brief announcement:

IndyCar racing returns in July to Pocono (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/auto_racing/20121002_IndyCar_racing_returns_in_July_to_Pocono. html)

Six total sentences, so don't waste your time. Unless you want to follow thru on the link to photos and video from Wingbowl 17 which gets HUGE coverage here. :rofl::laugh:

Indy
10-02-12, 08:25 AM
You should be. Sorry, that is. What a visual. (too bad we don't have that barfy thing)

Steve: I'm not speaking to you Hands on ears, over eyes, LA LA LA LAAALAAAA

If you really want to barf, listen to this: I saw him at RA for ALMS this year, and I was walking the paddock with this guy who camped next to us, and the guy practically runs up to PG and salivates all over him telling him how exciting it is to talk to him. Treated him like a racing hero. :yuck:

Mr. Vengeance
10-02-12, 08:44 AM
New TV package for Canadians.

Another part of the decision to award Toronto two races was the fact IndyCar had just signed a new television contract with Rogers Sportsnet to carry all 19 races live next season.

Translated: TSN didn't want it anymore and Sportsnet picked it up for peanuts.

Elmo T
10-02-12, 04:03 PM
Local coverage from the Lehigh Valley:

After 23 years, IndyCar returns to Pocono in July (http://www.mcall.com/sports/motorracing/mc-main-pocono-indy-car-race-20121001,0,3461887.story)

A real gem from the article:

Open-wheel racing was a mainstay at the Monroe County facility until 1989, when the splintering of sanctioning bodies, as well as reduced attendance and concerns about track safety (recently improved), prompted Pocono's exit from the schedule.

Splintering of sanctioning bodies caused OWR to leave Pocono? :saywhat::rolleyes:

DagoFast
10-02-12, 04:28 PM
Local coverage from the Lehigh Valley:

After 23 years, IndyCar returns to Pocono in July (http://www.mcall.com/sports/motorracing/mc-main-pocono-indy-car-race-20121001,0,3461887.story)

A real gem from the article:

Splintering of sanctioning bodies caused OWR to leave Pocono? :saywhat::rolleyes:

Pocono sided with USAC during the first split a decade before. Maybe they are referring to that? :confused:

TravelGal
10-02-12, 09:14 PM
If you really want to barf, listen to this: I saw him at RA for ALMS this year, and I was walking the paddock with this guy who camped next to us, and the guy practically runs up to PG and salivates all over him telling him how exciting it is to talk to him. Treated him like a racing hero. :yuck:

Ugh. It's amazing how some people just don't get it. What a slimeball. What continually amazed me, back in the CCWS days, was how people admitted what jerk he was (for want of a better word) and just laughed about it. They didn't seem to get that they were the next one on his list to be screwed over.

SurfaceUnits
10-12-12, 01:08 PM

the few who can find reVer\sus,,,errr OLN ,,,ummm NBC Sports Network

Hey was the Comcast/NBC takeover all the gomers had expected?

G.
10-12-12, 01:40 PM
Spicoli?

:gomer:

It is everything that I expected it to be.

(sigh) Feeling sad about the state of American racing today. :cry: The g. that went with me to RA ALMS has turned into a RACING FANATIC, and is learning anything and everything about racing now. "Dad, who's Arney-ton Senna?" "Why do they call it The Pass? Shouldn't they call it The Excellent Pass?" Real questions from last night. :D He was comparing Z's pass at the 'Screw to the winning Pass at RA this year. In excruciating detail. :laugh:

Need to go recharge my hate.

G.
10-12-12, 01:55 PM

From the story by @trippmickle: "Former IndyCar Series CEO Tony George has put together an investor group that includes some of the sport’s top team owners — Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske, Michael Andretti and Kevin Kalkhoven — as well as motorsports marketer Zak Brown that recently proposed the board sell them the IndyCar Series. The group has hired the Midwest-based law firm Faegre Baker Daniels and begun a financial due diligence evaluation of the series."

Update:

A Tony George-led group completed its due diligence and within the last week submitted a financial offer to Hulman & Co. for the IndyCar Series, according to sources familiar with the matter. The offer to the privately-held company, which also owns Indianapolis Motor Speedway, included a seven-figure cash proposal to take over management and assume future losses for the series, which reportedly lost $7M this year.

My favorite part,
George has hired the Midwest-based law firm Faegre Baker Daniels and approached IndyCar team owners, including Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske, Michael Andretti and Kevin Kalkhoven, as well as motorsports marketer Zak Brown about investing in the acquisition of the series.

So, he approached them, and they all said NFW. :laugh:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/10/12/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/IndyCar.aspx

EDIT: Hate recharged, SIR! :D

Racing Truth
10-12-12, 02:15 PM
Update:

My favorite part,

So, he approached them, and they all said NFW. :laugh:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/10/12/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/IndyCar.aspx

EDIT: Hate recharged, SIR! :D

THAT is a good catch, G. Basically, TG leaks that these people are "involved," but they're only involved in that they said no.

FWIW: Given the family animosity, I'll be surprised if The Sisters sold to TG anytime soon.

G.
10-12-12, 02:17 PM
THAT is a good catch, G. Basically, TG leaks that these people are "involved," but they're only involved in that they said no.

FWIW: Given the family animosity, I'll be surprised if The Sisters sold to TG anytime soon.

They are going to dump this burden off onto their own Family Burden sofa king quick.

Racing Truth
10-12-12, 02:20 PM
They are going to dump this burden off onto their own Family Burden sofa king quick.

Oh, they'd love to sell it, IMHO. But TG and The Sisters have been in a pi$$in' contest since '09. Ego, if nothing else, won't let them give TG what he wants. IMHO.

Anyone else comes along....

Racing Truth
10-12-12, 08:32 PM
Cavin's press release. (http://www.indystar.com/article/20121012/SPORTS0107/121012029/Tony-George-interested-in-buying-IndyCar-Series-Hulman-Co-says-it-s-not-for-sale-?odyssey=tab%7Cmostpopular%7Ctext%7CSPORTS01&nclick_check=1)

TG, KK and Floyd= new 3 Amigos?:laugh::shakehead

Look, once you understand this fact, that the H-G family is basically at war w/ itself, it all begins to make sense.

TKGAngel
10-12-12, 10:19 PM

So, what's the Cliffs Notes version of the animosity between TG and his family?

emjaya
10-12-12, 10:47 PM

Mom let the only son blow hundreds of millions of the sister's inheritance and kill off the Golden Goose.

TKGAngel
10-12-12, 11:02 PM
Mom let the only son blow hundreds of millions of the sister's inheritance and kill off the Golden Goose.

Damn, I was hoping for something more scandalous than that. You know, like an episode of Maury/Springer run amok.

stroker
10-13-12, 10:43 AM
Damn, I was hoping for something more scandalous than that. You know, like an episode of Maury/Springer run amok.

Blowing 3/4 of a billion dollars of somebody else's money isn't enough? :D

Don Quixote
10-13-12, 12:41 PM
That is a lot of cocaine.

nrc
10-13-12, 01:04 PM
Har. Did dumbass ever manage to dump his mansion? Justice calls for it to be foreclosed and used for fire department training.

TKGAngel
10-13-12, 01:57 PM
Blowing 3/4 of a billion dollars of somebody else's money isn't enough? :D

I watch soap operas. I have high expectations for family feuds. :D

Rus'L
10-13-12, 11:04 PM

In all seriousness, there was a rumor a while back (long before the "merger") that one of the sisters took a swing at FTG and left quite a shiner.

Rus'L
10-13-12, 11:06 PM

Did you hear that NBC Sports Network outbid SPEED for the F1 broadcasting rights starting next year?

Gnam
10-14-12, 01:23 AM
[Look, once you understand this fact, that the H-G family is basically at war w/ itself, it all begins to make sense.
I'm rooting for a high body count. :irked:

Indy
10-14-12, 12:19 PM
Well, they do have a history of shooting one another...

Racing Truth
10-14-12, 06:15 PM

As pointed out, the root is the hundreds of millions of $ TG squandered. From there, Tony was demoted from running IMS & H-G Corp. by The Sisters. In a pique, he then resigns from the Board and leaves as IRL/ICS CEO. The Sisters were prepared, under different budgets, to let him still run the series, but if he didn't have total control, he was gonna pout and sulk away.

Since then, Tony's been trying to constantly undermine ICS and, esp., Randy Bernard. In short, he's pi$$ed that he was ever demoted and now, it's personal.

nrc
10-14-12, 06:26 PM
As pointed out, the root is the hundreds of millions of $ TG squandered. From there, Tony was demoted from running IMS & H-G Corp. by The Sisters. In a pique, he then resigns from the Board and leaves as IRL/ICS CEO. The Sisters were prepared, under different budgets, to let him still run the series, but if he didn't have total control, he was gonna pout and sulk away.

Since then, Tony's been trying to constantly undermine ICS and, esp., Randy Bernard. In short, he's pi$$ed that he was ever demoted and now, it's personal.

All of which has been his modus operandi from day one. My way or nothing. Serves his family right that he's now applying his idiocy to them.

SteveH
10-14-12, 08:41 PM
All of which has been his modus operandi from day one. My way or nothing. Serves his family right that he's now applying his idiocy to them.

Thanksgiving Dinner should be fun, again.

I'll be he pouts if he doesn't get the wishbone. :tony:

G.
10-14-12, 09:11 PM

He probably goes out then and buys his own chicken.

The nugget kind.

Andrew Longman
10-15-12, 02:40 AM
In short, he's pi$$ed that he was ever demoted and now, it's personal.Short of laying around the house watching reruns on the Gameshow Network, what else would he do with his life?

Seriously. Think about what else he is qualified to do.

Chief
10-15-12, 10:28 AM
How wonderful it all is. A pathetic, rich, dysfunctional family who's all greedy for the old money. It should turn out just like it always does...sell off the family businesses, piece by piece, and let the inheritors convert it to new money which inevitably gets blown on alcohol, drugs, McMansions, vacations and fine automobiles...until it's all gone.

Remember, Tony George and family promised 'nimble' responses to the issues of AOW....how'd that work out? These assclowns destroyed AOW and should NOT be allowed to own it, run it, or anything else to do with it. The AOW product stinks today. Anyone that feels differently must have rocks in their head.

IMHO, of course. :p

trauma1
10-15-12, 10:39 AM
WGAF, maybe paper will hit Gentaloser up for a job again:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:rofl::rofl

Don Quixote
10-15-12, 11:10 AM
I think the number of people that worship the idiot has dropped from several thousand to less than a hundred. Amagine how clueless you would have to be to continue to buy into it.

SurfaceUnits
10-15-12, 12:01 PM
Har. Did dumbass ever manage to dump his mansion? Justice calls for it to be foreclosed and used for fire department training.

spicoli says he droved by there the other day and nothing has changed. They was gone to tare down the mansion and turn it into a multi-unit family compound
BIf was hoping to get one of the units

SurfaceUnits
10-15-12, 12:27 PM
Short of laying around the house watching reruns on the Gameshow Network, what else would he do with his life?

Seriously. Think about what else he is qualified to do.

sell carwax and hold garage sales,,,,,neither of which was apparently too successful

SurfaceUnits
10-18-12, 11:23 AM
The IRL's latest hope to being popular

IndyCar could get boost from unlikely ally

The IndyCar Series this week got a boost from an unlikely ally: Formula One.

Despite the fact that F1’s worldwide audience dwarfs that of IndyCar and its reach is far more European and Asian than the American-based series, some within the IndyCar Series still think that the two open-wheel circuits compete on some level for fans and sponsors.

This week, F1 officials announced its American broadcasts in 2013 would be jumping from Speed, a Fox-owned cable channel, to NBC Sports Network, where the IndyCar Series resides.

NBC officials are confident the F1 move will add eyes to the IndyCar broadcasts, not divert attention from the series.

http://www.ibj.com/the-score-2012-10-16-indycar-could-get-boost-from-unlikely-ally/PARAMS/post/37301

WARNING CHIef found it first

Rex Karz
10-18-12, 06:26 PM

Despite the fact that F1’s worldwide audience dwarfs that of IndyCar and its reach is far more European and Asian than the American-based series, some within the IndyCar Series still think that the two open-wheel circuits compete on some level for fans and sponsors.

This week, F1 officials announced its American broadcasts in 2013 would be jumping from Speed, a Fox-owned cable channel, to NBC Sports Network, where the IndyCar Series resides.

NBC officials are confident the F1 move will add eyes to the IndyCar broadcasts, not divert attention from the series.

http://www.ibj.com/the-score-2012-10-16-indycar-could-get-boost-from-unlikely-ally/PARAMS/post/37301

This is like having the New York Yankees being the lead-in to a telecast of the Toledo Mud Hens.

Chief
10-18-12, 07:06 PM

The Indycarz are the red-headed stepchild of red-headed stepchildren! Ibj gots me on the payroll! Come on, MAN! :rofl:

Mary
10-19-12, 07:17 AM

Geez, the bigs at NBC don't think we have enough sense to change the bleepin' channel when the F1 race is over? :eek:

Mary

Mary
10-19-12, 07:22 AM

Irony is way too weak a word for this.

Mary

SurfaceUnits
10-19-12, 10:39 AM
Geez, the bigs at NBC don't think we have enough sense to change the bleepin' channel when the F1 race is over? :eek:

Mary

all depends on the whether the metered homes leave the box on and tuned to NBCSN after the F1 race. They could more than double their ratings whether anyone is watching or not

Chief
10-19-12, 12:00 PM
all depends on the whether the metered homes leave the box on and tuned to NBCSN after the F1 race. They could more than double their ratings whether anyone is watching or not

And, what does that do for them (the ratings)? Go from a 0.18 to 0.36? VIBRANT. :p

Indy
10-19-12, 12:23 PM
I for one am glad that I now will get my actual racing and my inbred-family-owns-a-phony-racing-series reality show on the same channel. :gomer: