PDA

View Full Version : Perez @ McLaren & Hamilton @ Mercedes!

Agip27
09-28-12, 10:24 AM
I love the fact that McLaren announced they were signing Perez for 2013 before Mercedes made their much anticipated announcement of signing Hamilton. :rofl: So much for loyalty, Lewis....:irked:

So, where does that leave High Speed Schumi? To Sauber I say, with part ownership of the team. Why? Because to Peter Sauber, 51% of Sauber is worth a heck of a lot more with Schumacher then 100% without....:thumbup:

Rogue Leader
09-28-12, 10:47 AM
I love the fact that McLaren announced they were signing Perez for 2013 before Mercedes made their much anticipated announcement of signing Hamilton. :rofl: So much for loyalty, Lewis....:irked:

So, where does that leave High Speed Schumi? To Sauber I say, with part ownership of the team. Why? Because to Peter Sauber, 51% of Sauber is worth a heck of a lot more with Schumacher then 100% without....:thumbup:

Schumi did drive for Sauber when he ran the Mercedes Group C cars. Saubers cars are just about competitive, but I would say I think hes gonna just hang it up.

Also I am SURE Ferrari had their eye on Perez so this move I'm sure will make them unhappy, but it does now leave room for Paul DiResta to maybe take Massa's spot now.

WickerBill
09-28-12, 11:08 AM
I can't imagine this going down well among Lewis' UK supporters. We'll find out shortly if the fans support the team or the driver. Was always interesting in our CART fan days -- there were Penske fans, and there were deFerran fans who happened to be rooting for Penske because of Gil.

Methanolandbrats
09-28-12, 11:40 AM
^^^ I see your point. I have a confliction. I hate McLaren in it's current form, but I love Perez.

stroker
09-28-12, 11:59 AM
Boy, that does seem a lot like "Don't let the door hit you on the ass, Louis..."

JohnHKart
09-28-12, 12:07 PM
Don't understand Montezumelo at all. Perez would have been perfect for Ferarri and he is for Mclaren.

BZSetshot
09-28-12, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Fernando had a lot to do with Perez not being signed in replacement of Massa...

Agip27
09-28-12, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Fernando had a lot to do with Perez not being signed in replacement of Massa...

Or Perez not wanting to be number 2 at Ferrari. We all saw what good that did Barrichello. At least at McLaren or say Red Bull, he'd have a chance to win races. I believe when Montezemollo said in public that Perez wasn't ready to race for Ferrari, it was the indication that Perez was in talks with McLaren and asked to be released from his testing deal.

#2 at Ferrari is perfect for a mid-pack guy with experience who knows he doesn't have a chance to compete for a WC. A guy with experience who isn't afraid to be #2, who's job it is to pick up points and not mess with Alonso. Someone like Sutil, Alguersuari or Liuzzi would be perfect. To be honest, Massa might still be the best option for 2013.

mueber
09-28-12, 01:03 PM
I guess we'll find out if Lewis is any good as a development driver. Not the choice I would have made, but I suppose the money was too much to turn down.

WickerBill
09-28-12, 01:26 PM
I feel like Hamilton has become somehow less mature each year since his WC. He needs to reverse that at Mercedes, especially if they're mid pack... he can't be in hysterics, moody, tweeting telemetry every time he doesn't do well.

Personally, I'm now going to pull for three straight McLaren championships.

Insomniac
09-28-12, 02:00 PM
I'll keep pulling for Hamilton, not McLaren (although, now I have a Vodafone hat, which as is, practically no one got, but now no driver (maybe I'll like Perez more)). I wonder what Ferrari does now with Massa. He's not helping at all.

Is #1/#2 absolutely necessary? Is it a team deal or driver ego deal? I'd think a team would want the 2 best drivers, let them settle who's better on track with the understanding at some point, #1/#2 will be clear and team cokes first. Isn't the money based on constructor, not driver standings?

stroker
09-28-12, 02:34 PM
I have no idea how a German organization like MB would have any interest in such a prima donna like Louis. Just don't get that at all...

nissan gtp
09-28-12, 04:50 PM
MB has also picked the livery for next year.

http://richardsf1.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/BAR1999.jpg

Methanolandbrats
09-28-12, 09:51 PM
:laugh:

Easy
09-29-12, 12:44 PM
:rofl:, perfect commentary NissanGTP.

With no in season testing and no Pedro or Wurz to lean on, Lewis better hope Nico can develop a chassis but even with Schu (2.0) that team has at best been at best static this year. Even with Ross Brawn and Geoff Willis that team will not match what McLaren has for a technical infrastructure at the MTC.

Now that Ron Dennis is out of the way, Simon Fuller is free to make Lewis a pop culture maga brand. Bad music, worse movies, tv appearances... Maybe he'll even still find time to be a Formula 1 driver.

Easy
09-29-12, 12:47 PM
Don't understand Montezumelo at all. Perez would have been perfect for Ferarri and he is for Mclaren.

The 1+1=3 assessment is that Ferrari letting Perez go is proof that Vettel has signed to partner Fred from 2014.

I'm not sure I buy that completely. If they do have some kind of Letter of Intent with Vettel I'd have to think both sides have opt out clauses.

Indy
09-29-12, 04:07 PM
As a Perez and McLaren fan I approve this message. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Rogue Leader
09-30-12, 12:28 AM
The 1+1=3 assessment is that Ferrari letting Perez go is proof that Vettel has signed to partner Fred from 2014.

I'm not sure I buy that completely. If they do have some kind of Letter of Intent with Vettel I'd have to think both sides have opt out clauses.

There is no way in hell Ferrari would ever run 2 alpha dogs. Just not gonna happen, you will never see either one of those guys bow down to support a teammate.

Insomniac
09-30-12, 11:37 AM
Thinking a little more, have to give McLaren a lot of credit. They knew Hamilton was seriously considering/likely leaving and got ahead of Ferrari and snagged Perez knowing there was no way Hamilton was going to team with Alonso again.

Insomniac
09-30-12, 11:39 AM
There is no way in hell Ferrari would ever run 2 alpha dogs. Just not gonna happen, you will never see either one of those guys bow down to support a teammate.

So you think it's Ferrari that would be opposed instead of the drivers? Did CART ever have this problem where the best driver's didn't want to race with the best team if they weren't the favored/primary driver?

cameraman
09-30-12, 01:16 PM
So you think it's Ferrari that would be opposed instead of the drivers? Did CART ever have this problem where the best driver's didn't want to race with the best team if they weren't the favored/primary driver?

Would you want to be in Reubens' position if you were arguably the better driver?

Insomniac
09-30-12, 04:46 PM
Would you want to be in Reubens' position if you were arguably the better driver?

I think a lot of variables go into it. Which is why I was trying to see is it really Ferrari's preference or simply how drivers "work".

So I'd think I would take the job at Ferrari if I knew that resources would be fair to give me a shot at the championship if I was the better driver. So no on a Barichello/Schumacher hierarchy, but yes to Alonso/Hamilton (which blew up).

Rogue Leader
09-30-12, 10:51 PM

Ferrari would absolutely be opposed. Its the culture there. The ONLY reason Massa was able to even make an attempt at a WDC was because Kimi sucked ass for the first bunch of races that year.

TedN
10-01-12, 05:54 AM
Interesting who now manages Perez ....

2013 McLaren driver Sergio Perez is being managed by former Indycar driver and fellow Mexican Adrian Fernandez.

Link (http://www.motorsport.com/#!/f1/news/perez-now-managed-by-indycar-s-adrian-fernandez/)

Ted

WickerBill
10-01-12, 07:45 AM
To give Hamilton one tiny bit of understanding, it boggles me that McLaren keep all of the driver trophies for podiums. I understand that was a big sticking point.

Insomniac
10-01-12, 11:54 AM
To give Hamilton one tiny bit of understanding, it boggles me that McLaren keep all of the driver trophies for podiums. I understand that was a big sticking point.

Geez, all that money and they can't solve the problem by making 2 trophies at every event? :rofl:

Agip27
10-03-12, 08:43 PM
Geez, all that money and they can't solve the problem by making 2 trophies at every event? :rofl:

They use to give 1 trophy for every Grand Am win (2 drivers) and you solved that problem by paying for another 1. WTF? :shakehead Can't McLaren wait a week to receive the replica?

Gnam
10-03-12, 08:51 PM
I could see using the trophies as a leverage during the negotiations, but I wouldn't be broken hearted to lose them. After awhile they just get to be sparkly debris you have to keep clean. As long as history records his podiums, let someone else take care of the hardware.

Plus, looking at all of them will really piss off the new guy. ;)
It's the classy way to write, "Hamilton was Here."

Insomniac
10-04-12, 09:33 AM
I could see using the trophies as a leverage during the negotiations, but I wouldn't be broken hearted to lose them. After awhile they just get to be sparkly debris you have to keep clean. As long as history records his podiums, let someone else take care of the hardware.

Plus, looking at all of them will really piss off the new guy. ;)
It's the classy way to write, "Hamilton was Here."

I'd want the trophies. It's just stupid to me. We see them hand out trophies to each person on the podium and the winning constructor. There is a driver's and manufacturer's championship. The trophy is for the driver. They should also make trophies for 2nd and 3rd (but not present them, maybe they already do?). There is the team trophy.

emjaya
10-04-12, 07:52 PM
But you are forgeting the most important thing, if the team keeps all the trophies what is Hammy going to put in his museum?

And when his investments all go belly up, what will he be able to auction off to raise a bit of cash to keep Nicole in the manner to which she is accustomed?

108 starts, 24 poles, 20 wins, 48 podiums, 1 World Driver Championship and he will have nothing to show for it. Maybe a piece of paper saying he was 2008 champion and that is it.

Uncle Ron has everything, even the cars. All Hammy will have is a couple of stinky old helmets and driving suits.

;)

Easy
01-04-13, 12:37 PM
I forgot how much I haven't missed Ronspeak... Hamilton didn't leave McLaren, they chose to not re-sign him. I think thats what he's saying anyway.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-ron-dennis-mclaren-could-have-kept-lewis-hamilton/