PDA

View Full Version : NHL '12/'13

Pages : 1 [2] 3

racermike
03-12-13, 01:20 AM
My Boston schedule this week is set.

Thurs - Bruins/Panthers 7pm (NHL)
Fri - Boston Coll/Vermont 7pm (NCAA)
Sat - Bruins/Caps 1pm (NHL), and Boston Coll/Vermont 7pm (NCAA)
Sun - St Paddys Day in Boston! (and maybe Boston Coll/Vermont game 3)
Mon - Hangover and Flight home monday afternoon.

dando
03-12-13, 02:56 AM
My Boston schedule this week is set.

Thurs - Bruins/Panthers 7pm (NHL)
Fri - Boston Coll/Vermont 7pm (NCAA)
Sat - Bruins/Caps 1pm (NHL), and Boston Coll/Vermont 7pm (NCAA)
Sun - St Paddys Day in Boston! (and maybe Boston Coll/Vermont game 3)
Mon - Hangover and Flight home monday afternoon.

No Broons/Phlyers? Wussy. :gomer: ;) Those were legendary 'brass knuckle' matches. Can't wait for the CBJ to head to the east. Enough with the ***** galore 'hockey' they out west (especially the Avs). :D :p

-Kevin

dando
03-12-13, 03:37 AM
The curse of Pelle Lindbergh continues...

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inqflyersreport/Bobrovsky-trade-haunting-Flyers.html

That being said, Bob is destined to be Pascal LeClair or Marc Denis. The stunning history of the CBJ net minders:

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/jackets/index.html

I still have my Tugnutt for President T shirt from '00. :gomer:

-Kevin

devilmaster
03-21-13, 09:06 PM
so most of you know that I just loathe the NHL anymore. I still like hockey, just don't follow the NHL.

So I found myself last night, in Edmonton, a little bored, so I thought i'd check out Northlands coleseum. (i still call it that, get over it Rexall drugs).

Reason number five thousand two hundred and eighty six why the NHL has lost me: The cheapest regular priced seat, end rink, upper bowl 4 rows from the top in the dead center of the row... (drum roll please) $108 bucks.

I bet I could still get an NFL season ticket for 500 bucks... Thats one seat for an entire season. Its one of the reasons why you fail, NHL.

dando
03-21-13, 09:39 PM
so most of you know that I just loathe the NHL anymore. I still like hockey, just don't follow the NHL.

So I found myself last night, in Edmonton, a little bored, so I thought i'd check out Northlands coleseum. (i still call it that, get over it Rexall drugs).

Reason number five thousand two hundred and eighty six why the NHL has lost me: The cheapest regular priced seat, end rink, upper bowl 4 rows from the top in the dead center of the row... (drum roll please) $108 bucks.

I bet I could still get an NFL season ticket for 500 bucks... Thats one seat for an entire season. Its one of the reasons why you fail, NHL.

DM, come down this way. You can walk into The Wide, lower bowl for $20 walk up. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-22-13, 06:16 PM
Devilmaster, I feel you. I stopped going to Rangers games 12-15 years ago because of the cost and availability of tickets. I like the college game more in many ways. If I was a Leafs fan I would feel alternatively raped and insulted. They seem separated from reality.

But...

I just bought two tickets on the end line on the first level just above the glass for the 1 April Devils Islanders game for $61 each (stubhub). It is a birthday gift for my youngest.

And the Rock is a much nicer arena than MSG.

Stubhub is the way these things go these days. The Yankees no longer sell a single ticket through the box office. Everything is sold out (bought by "investers" ) and you can only get a ticket through the secondary markets - often at steep discounts.

And no you can't get NFL season tickets a lot cheaper. Start with needing to pay $10-25k to by a license which gives you the right to buy season tickets.

Tifosi24
03-22-13, 09:52 PM
Devilmaster, I feel you. I stopped going to Rangers games 12-15 years ago because of the cost and availability of tickets. I like the college game more in many ways. If I was a Leafs fan I would feel alternatively raped and insulted. They seem separated from reality.

College game is my favorite, too bad Mankato got rocked yesterday, but on the bright side they should be a lock for the NCAAs. It is a great ending to their time in the WCHA as we knew it.

dando
03-22-13, 10:33 PM
Not to be jinxing, but a hockey happened in Cbus.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400442927

:eek:

-Kevin

devilmaster
03-23-13, 11:57 AM
And no you can't get NFL season tickets a lot cheaper. Start with needing to pay $10-25k to by a license which gives you the right to buy season tickets.

We're going back, but my season tickets for the lions were only 400 a seat at the silverdome...upper bowl, end zone corner, 3 rows from the rail.. Just gave em up for 2002 because of Millen, 9/11 (took too long to cross after that), and location of new seats in ford field.

After a few years of Ford field and Millen running the team, I got a season ticket package request from the Lions again. Seems they were starting to have problems selling out the stadium that was designed primarily to ensure sellouts every week. :rofl:

Andrew Longman
03-23-13, 07:51 PM
We're going back, but my season tickets for the lions were only 400 a seat at the silverdome...upper bowl, end zone corner, 3 rows from the rail.. :I forgot you were talking about the Lions. :D

Here is something from FIVE years ago that describes the general state of affairs. Except now PSL and all tickets are sold through a "marketplace" teams try as much as possible to control and strip revenue out of -- their handling fees, etc.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-release-cost-personal-seat-licenses-new-stadium-article-1.350473

devilmaster
03-23-13, 10:33 PM
The Lions never bothered with PSLs.

Guess when you suck that bad for so long, they couldn't justify it.

[edit] Just went through the Giants website which explains in detail how to transfer PSLs and their fees. Nice scam if you can run it.... :)

Andrew Longman
03-23-13, 11:13 PM
Scam yes. Secondary ticket markets too.

But just this week I listened to a lengthy sports radio discussion on the angst the Yankees are having about not really being able to control (and keep up) ticket prices.

The Giants get a one time chunk of money from PSLs but after that it is out of their hands. If prices go through the roof their is a ton of value for those seat they don't see. If the value goes down or up and down wildly that reflects badly on the team.

Before PSLs both the Giants and Yankees had long waitings lists for season tickets. 17 years in the case of the Giants. That meant demand flattened out and even in down years they had little downward pressure on prices or renewals.

Now there is actually pressure not to renew in a losing season because you don't want to risk losing money on the PSL. And you could always buy it back at a lower price later. Before not renewing might mean waiting 17 years to get your seats back.

All that is not good in the long term for the team. The Maras hated the idea of PSLs but were forced into it when costs for the stadium overran and the Jets were having trouble coming up with their share

devilmaster
03-23-13, 11:19 PM
The Giants get a one time chunk of money from PSLs but after that it is out of their hands. If prices go through the roof their is a ton of value for those seat they don't see. If the value goes down or up and down wildly that reflects badly on the team.

Oh I don't know... If the Giants run their own marketplace.... It won't amount to a great deal, but they still get a cut... And minimum 250 bucks to basically go into your database and change a name and address probably pays for that salary. ;)

Once the Ticket Office has approved your PSL transfer, we will send payment to you for the sale price less your seller fee. For all transactions on the Marketplace, the account will be transferred into the new owner’s name during the next available transfer window. The Giants maintain transfer windows of February 1 – May 1 and October 1 – October 31.
Sale Price Fee
$0 - $2,500 $350
$2,501 - $7,500 10% of Sale Price plus $100
$7,501 or greater 10% of Sale Price

dando
03-28-13, 06:52 AM
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9106066/jarome-iginla-calgary-flames-traded-pittsburgh-penguins

Jeepers. :eek:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
03-28-13, 08:52 AM
The scary thing is that the Pens still have $13 million cap room. :saywhat:

dando
04-03-13, 07:27 AM
Looks like Regier may be the next head to roll...

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130402/SPORTS/130409829/1229

EDIT: and let the trade deadline fun begin.

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-03-13, 11:53 AM
Bucky Gleason has been writing the same column for the past 10 years. He may actually combust when Darcy is really fired.

dando
04-03-13, 02:25 PM
Bucky Gleason has been writing the same column for the past 10 years. He may actually combust when Darcy is really fired.

I wish he had been writing that column on Douger Mac and Howson the past ten years. :saywhat: :irked:

Meanwhile, the CBJ are 1 point out of 8th place in the west. Will the trade day fairy be a buyer or seller? Lots of rumors swirling, including shipping RJ Umberger. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
04-03-13, 03:26 PM
Well, Johnny D. is making moves, but not a fan of this:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/9130225/marian-gaborik-traded-new-york-rangers-columbus-blue-jackets

Dorse, Brass and Moore were solid, but we need a scorer w/o Nasher.

Davidson obviously is unaware of the history of Russkies in Cbus. :saywhat:

-Kevin

JoeBob
04-03-13, 05:24 PM
Nice pickup for my Minnesota Wild.

Bonus: Getting to laugh at Marian Gaborik being sent to Columbus. Have fun with that, Todd Richards!

dando
04-03-13, 05:31 PM

Bonus: Getting to laugh at Marian Gaborik being sent to Columbus. Have fun with that, Todd Richards!

NOT happy with that trade. Hoping My Cousin Vinny Prospal will kick him in the pants. The three guys they sent to NYR were character guys that did their job every shift. :irked:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-03-13, 05:57 PM

Pominville's a really nice guy and a good hockey player. I'm sad to see him go, but recognize that changes need to be made within the Sabres organization. Anyone want a slightly crotchety goalie with a Hollywood actress wife? ;)

I still laugh at this Pominville photo: Jason Pominville vs. The Balaclava. (http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/jason-pominville-puts-on-a-balaclava-during-practice-at-news-photo/78682620?Language=en-US)

JoeBob
04-03-13, 06:24 PM
NOT happy with that trade. Hoping My Cousin Vinny Prospal will kick him in the pants. The three guys they sent to NYR were character guys that did their job every shift. :irked:

-Kevin

Nobody in MN was sad to see Gaby go. Only thing that annoyed us is that his crotch had so many problems in his last season and a half that we couldn't foist him on someone else as a rental.

When he wants to play, he's amazing. It takes a really special set of circumstances for him to want to play.

dando
04-17-13, 06:36 AM
6 outdoor 'classics' being planned for '14:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9180372/nhl-plans-6-outdoor-games-2014-including-los-angeles-new-york-chicago-vancouver-sources-say

Among the new games will be the first outdoor regular-season game in California, with the Anaheim Ducks and the Los Angeles Kings set to do battle at Dodger Stadium on Jan. 25.

:eek: or :shakehead?

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-17-13, 08:30 AM
That wailing honk you heard is the sound of the golden goose being killed.

The players kvetched about the ice in Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Chicago, and those were cold weather markets. How are they going to make sure the ice is good in beautiful LA in January?

Elmo T
04-17-13, 09:17 AM
Mason played very well last night. :thumbup:

Mason earns first win as Flyers' goalie (http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20130417/SPORTS04/304170051/Mason-earns-first-win-Flyers-goalie)

Can't be happy that was pummeled by 17 some odd shots in the 3rd, but he held up.

dando
04-17-13, 11:28 AM
Mason played very well last night. :thumbup:

Mason earns first win as Flyers' goalie (http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20130417/SPORTS04/304170051/Mason-earns-first-win-Flyers-goalie)

Can't be happy that was pummeled by 17 some odd shots in the 3rd, but he held up.

You gots one of three quality starts he makes. :saywhat: I wish the kid well. He developed a big head after his first season here, and took it for granted. He stood on his head in '09 to get the CBJ into the playoffs for the first and only time. After that, not so much. He dedicated himself during the off season and played well here this season, but Bob arrived and has kicked ass (see season stats re: NHL Gs). Good game last night. Always a good night when the NYR go down. :D Not sure if it was the NY Blue Jackets or Philly Blue Jackets. ;)

-Kevin

dando
04-17-13, 11:49 AM
That wailing honk you heard is the sound of the golden goose being killed.

The players kvetched about the ice in Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Chicago, and those were cold weather markets. How are they going to make sure the ice is good in beautiful LA in January?

Candy tastes good. Too much candy makes you feel sick. :saywhat: :shakehead Idiots. This is every bit as bad as excessive bowl game syndrome.

-Kevin

dando
04-17-13, 12:12 PM
Go figger.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/23442/after-turnaround-dont-count-blue-jackets-out

A March 3 win over the Colorado Avalanche began a 15-4-3 stretch for the Jackets, perhaps the unlikeliest of events anyone in the hockey world would have dreamed up this season.

Has the ghost of Douger Mac been exercised? :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-17-13, 09:15 PM
Incredible anthem sing-a-long and tribute video in Boston (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bruins-fans-sing-anthem-chant-boston-honor-martin-002137010--nhl.html) tonight.

Random trivia: the Sabres were the opponent in the first Rangers game in NYC after 9/11 and now are the opponent in the first Bruins game after Monday's events.

dando
04-18-13, 12:45 AM
Damn. Someone stop the CBJ (or not). :D

-Kevin

dando
04-22-13, 12:11 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=400443148

This is some kind of amazing. 6-game roadie to finish the season, and you would think they were finished. Johnny D. must fart rainbows. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-22-13, 03:44 PM
The Laffs made the playoffs and have a cool promo campaign (http://i.imgur.com/qnZvwmw.jpg). In related news, Maxwell the Geico pig just flew past my window.

Don Quixote
04-22-13, 06:56 PM
The Laffs made the playoffs and have a cool promo campaign (http://i.imgur.com/qnZvwmw.jpg). In related news, Maxwell the Geico pig just flew past my window.:thumbup:

dando
04-23-13, 09:28 AM
One up, two to go. Red Army and Big D with a game in hand. :eek:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/2

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
04-23-13, 04:35 PM
Finding many newly minted CBJ fans here in NJ.

If you aren't already a Rangers fan you aren't going to start now and why not have a good laugh for a week?

dando
04-23-13, 05:19 PM
Finding many newly minted CBJ fans here in NJ.

If you aren't already a Rangers fan you aren't going to start now and why not have a good laugh for a week?

Truly special. 16-5-5 since late Feb. Cardiac Kids (for Cleveburgh fans). Bob is in the discussion for the Hart and Vezina. For those who saw him last season in Philly...quite a change. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
04-25-13, 11:23 PM
CBJ 5 of 6 on the roadie. Wow. :eek: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Tifosi24
04-26-13, 07:04 AM
I like how the Rangers banished Gaborik to Columbus and now they are the hottest team in hockey. Still hoping the Wild can avoid a collapse and make it into the playoffs, but it is looking better that they will make it after a big slide.

dando
04-26-13, 11:05 AM
I like how the Rangers banished Gaborik to Columbus and now they are the hottest team in hockey. Still hoping the Wild can avoid a collapse and make it into the playoffs, but it is looking better that they will make it after a big slide.

Wasn't a fan of the deal when it happened (thinking Jeff 'The Cancer' Carter), and they gave up some heart and soul in Dorsett, but he's fit in well. Hasn't been stunning, but he's been a good fit. Bob needs serious Hart and Vezina consideration. Last night he stood on his head to save the CBJ bacon. They don't own their destiny, and your boys have a game in hand and two of the worst in the west remaining. Melrose wasn't speaking highly of the Wild in a clip I saw yesterday. Backing into the playoffs... Ah well, it's been a fun run and it's a young bunch. Need to get 'My Cousin' Vinny Prospal to return. He should be wearing the C (they haven't had a Cappy all season)

-Kevin

dando
04-26-13, 11:20 PM
Thank you Wild for playing for the CBJ. :D

-Kevin

dando
04-27-13, 09:39 AM
It's game on tonight...

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2h
... a win over Nashville and a regulation, OT or SO loss by #mnwild, or a OT/SO loss by #CBJ and a regulation loss by #mnwild.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 2h
#CBJ can still catch #RedWings and #mnwild tonight. A #CBJ win over Nashille and a regulation loss by Detroit gets it done. So does ...

Bring it, boys. :thumbup:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
04-28-13, 02:19 PM
From the "are you kidding me" files:

- Laffs playoff tickets are 75% higher than regular than regular season tickets.

- The Sabres announced a 4% ticket price increase for next year (on "Fan Appreciation Night", no less) despite not making the playoffs in 4 of the past 6 seasons and seeing a lower salary cap/increased ownership revenue share next year under the new CBA. The reason given for the price increase is the new CBA, believe it or not. :shakehead

- Don Cherry saying that women reporters don't belong in the locker room. I guess he hasn't met some of the reporters that his own employer uses to cover the league.

dando
04-28-13, 03:37 PM
From the "are you kidding me" files:

- Laffs playoff tickets are 75% higher than regular than regular season tickets.

- The Sabres announced a 4% ticket price increase for next year (on "Fan Appreciation Night", no less) despite not making the playoffs in 4 of the past 6 seasons and seeing a lower salary cap/increased ownership revenue share next year under the new CBA. The reason given for the price increase is the new CBA, believe it or not. :shakehead

- Don Cherry saying that women reporters don't belong in the locker room. I guess he hasn't met some of the reporters that his own employer uses to cover the league.

The Laffs need to make up for the Pazzy LeClaire trade. :gomer: ;)

The Sabres need to relocate to Hamilton, ON. :D

Don Cherry needs to STFU, and quit dressing like Craig Sager. :gomer:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
04-29-13, 08:26 PM
Welcome, Seth Jones, to the Colorado Avalanche. (Avs win the draft lottery)

:thumbup: :D

dando
04-30-13, 04:58 AM
Welcome, Seth Jones, to the Colorado Avalanche. (Avs win the draft lottery)

:thumbup: :D

Frozen envelope? :gomer: ;) The piece I read was that Jones was the #1 NA skater, but is there a Euro/Russkie ranked higher?

-Kevin

Don Quixote
04-30-13, 08:47 AM
Frozen envelope? :gomer: ;) The piece I read was that Jones was the #1 NA skater, but is there a Euro/Russkie ranked higher?

-KevinIt will be Jones. There is a Colorado connection and he has been the topic of discussion around here for a couple of years now. They will sell a bunch of season tickets because of this lucky break. Avs had only a 19 percent chance of getting the pick.

dando
04-30-13, 08:57 AM
It will be Jones. There is a Colorado connection and he has been the topic of discussion around here for a couple of years now. They will sell a bunch of season tickets because of this lucky break. Avs had only a 19 percent chance of getting the pick.

And the CBJ have 0% chance every year as history dictates. :saywhat: CBJ draft 14th, and I'm certain they will yet again be screwed by the Kings/Jeff Carter after the trade last season for the Kings #1 pick. :irked: :shakehead

-Kevin

Pilgrims Drop
05-02-13, 08:50 AM
A bit late but....

GAME ON!

p11X-4fc7vc

dando
05-02-13, 08:57 AM
I thought the Isles were swept away with Sandy? :saywhat: No Crosby and they go down 5-0 to the Pens last night. Can't wait for the CBJ to move to the east.

-Kevin

TKGAngel
05-13-13, 10:10 PM
Third period collapses are so much fun when it's not your team that's collapsing. :rofl:

Golf, Leafs, golf.

Andrew Longman
05-13-13, 10:37 PM
That was an epic collapse.

Physically the Rangers have to be spent after the slugfest with DC. Hard to get new hate for new team.

Emotionally, the Bruins have to be spent after not being able to put them away and nearly blowing it all to the Leafs. Did that spook them or make them think they are destine?

Not sure at all how that series will play out.

dando
05-14-13, 12:19 AM
Third period collapses are so much fun when it's not your team that's collapsing. :rofl:

Golf, Leafs, golf.

Epic. I had about given up buth games, but then it was 4-2, back to the Caps now 2-0, flipped back over the the Laffs just as the Broons made it 4-3, and shockingly tied it up :50 to go. I was incredulous. 3 goals in roughly 10 minutes and 2 w/in 1:29...there were stretches this season when the CBJ couldn't do that over 3 games. :saywhat: Then OT...wow. Hats off Alfred Hitchcock and the Broons. :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
05-14-13, 12:23 AM
That was an epic collapse.

Physically the Rangers have to be spent after the slugfest with DC. Hard to get new hate for new team.

Emotionally, the Bruins have to be spent after not being able to put them away and nearly blowing it all to the Leafs. Did that spook them or make them think they are destine?

Not sure at all how that series will play out.

Congrats to the NY Jackets. Nice series by Nasher. Not. 0 Gs and 2 assists. Even or +1 +/-. :saywhat: IMO, he's past his prime now, but still a solid player. Not a superstar as he was billed to be after he tied for the Rocket in '03. He was never the same player post-lockout.

-Kevin

Tifosi24
05-14-13, 08:17 AM
I can only think of one collapse that wasgreater in goal number off the top of my head, but that was a regular season college game, so it pales in comparison to what the Leafs laid last night. I thought Koivu was terrible for the Wild in the captain's sweater, but Phaneuf was horrific in this series. Gives Game 4 to the Bruins with a truly bonehead pinch play (even a borderline charge) and then is instrumental in both of the empty net goals, especially the first. That clearance attempt, gift to the Bruins, was shameful considering the fact that he had space, and time, to think about his clearance. My guess is that he was injured because he was worthless on the Bruins fourth goal, which was right after a called timeout.

I almost forgot, what makes the collapse even more epic is that Peaverly could have easily finished the game up in regulation. If his angle is over by 6 inches, or he one times the puck, game over.

dando
05-14-13, 11:17 AM
Ovie is a buttmunch...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9273428/alex-ovechkin-critical-refs-washington-capitals-ouster

And what say you, Ovie, about the charging non-call in the 1st period last night? Perhaps if the Caps didn't try to play the Broad Street Bullies... :irked:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
05-14-13, 01:06 PM
In the playoffs, Ovechkin scored just one goal (in Game 1) and had one assist (in Game 2). He was blanked in the last five games despite having 18 shots on goal. Ovechkin led the NHL with 32 goals during the regular season.

That might have more to with it than the refs... Or why he is especially grumpy.

I am glad the Rangers won but Caps fans have really embraced the team the least few years and Ovec is a special player who is fun to watch. I would have liked to see more of him.

Elmo T
05-14-13, 01:56 PM
Ovie is a buttmunch...

-Kevin

The Philly joke of the day apparently:

There's a new drink at bars called the Alexander Ovechkin. It's just like a white Russian, but with no ice and no cup.'

The Flyers early exit give them lots of time to think that stuff up. ;)

TKGAngel
05-14-13, 02:19 PM
^^ And they're not even thinking up original material. I've heard that for a couple of years now.

dando
05-14-13, 04:29 PM
I am glad the Rangers won but Caps fans have really embraced the team the least few years and Ovec is a special player who is fun to watch. I would have liked to see more of him.

I agree he's a great player, but you can't go running guys like he does and kvetch about the officiating. I think it was McDonagh he ran into the boards, borderline leaving his feet, which resulted in a cut that required stitches. Nasty, nasty hit.

Two Original Six showdowns this round. Should be fun. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
05-15-13, 08:52 AM
I didn't read it as complaining about penalties HE took as much as penalties the Caps took.

He shouldn't be complaining about the refs because they didn't take advantage of the power plays they did get, and because they were playing against and lost to the Rangers, not the refs, and because it is ungracious, unsportsmanlike whining.

As for his hits, I saw him flick a shoulder back into a Rangers defenseman who was trying to check him and laid him out nearly cold. That was some cool bad ass stuff and if the opposition doesn't like it then they should stop him.

And I am not a Caps fan in the least.

dando
05-15-13, 10:25 AM
Haven't seen the NY Jackets play much this season (I've really tuned in to a few games this season, mainly the CBJ's stretch run). It doesn't appear they have an enforcer as in the past. Dorsett is quite a good agitator, but lacks size, and I don't think you'd want him on the ice when Ovie is out there. Don't expect Nasher to do much. He got knocks here in Cbus because he rarely played in front of the G. He's a finesse player, and is more likely to play on the wing and use his skating and hands attacking the goal. Going to be an interesting series against the Broons. All roads lead through Chitown, IMO.

Side note...I saw a Tweet that the ratings for the playoffs are down 39%. Ouch. No Philly? Fallout from the lockout? The teams are mostly the same as last season outside of Philly, Phoenix and Nashville.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
05-15-13, 11:36 AM
...I saw a Tweet that the ratings for the playoffs are down 39%. Ouch.I was in Calgary a few weeks ago and one guy I met was a long time Flames season ticket holder. He still has his tickets but was so pizzed about the lockout he didn't attend a single game this year.

Another guy has long had a 12 game package deal and he went on about how pizzed he was that during the lockout the Flames kept putting $200 charges/month on his Visa to pay for tickets for games they were not playing.

Their only option was to drop the tickets and go to the bottom of a decades long waiting list for tickets.

That shows the height of arrogance by the Flames. I don't think the Devils or Rangers pulled that crap on season ticket holders.

Anyway, I don't doubt that people are tainted by the lockout (especially casual fans)... even if attendance seemed as strong as ever. The Devils sold out I think all but 1-2 home games.

TKGAngel
05-15-13, 12:25 PM
Side note...I saw a Tweet that the ratings for the playoffs are down 39%. Ouch. No Philly? Fallout from the lockout? The teams are mostly the same as last season outside of Philly, Phoenix and Nashville.

-Kevin

What's really strange is that ratings for the season were up over last year. Of course that takes into account local broadcasts plus national. However, the playoffs started later and are competing more heavily against sweeps programming. Also, having four Canadian teams can skew US ratings, which I think the NHL is aware of. I received a fan survey asking for what series I was not watching and one of the reasons given to pick from was "Canadian team." ("On past my bedtime" was not an option, surprisingly so.)

Since dando mentioned Philly, Bryzgalov is making the Flyers PR staff twitchy this morning: Deadspin - Bryz talks Stalin, ghettos and Star Wars (http://deadspin.com/ilya-bryzgalov-talks-philly-ghettos-welfare-queens-an-506623110)

Andrew Longman
05-15-13, 02:41 PM
New meaning for "Crazy Ivan"?

dando
05-15-13, 03:43 PM
Since dando mentioned Philly, Bryzgalov is making the Flyers PR staff twitchy this morning: Deadspin - Bryz talks Stalin, ghettos and Star Wars (http://deadspin.com/ilya-bryzgalov-talks-philly-ghettos-welfare-queens-an-506623110)

The curse of Pelle, I tell ya. No worries, they have Mason...those Gs that the CBJ have traded have always panned out (Pazzy, Denis...). :gomer:

-Kevin

Tifosi24
05-15-13, 04:07 PM
I was in Calgary a few weeks ago and one guy I met was a long time Flames season ticket holder. He still has his tickets but was so pizzed about the lockout he didn't attend a single game this year.

Another guy has long had a 12 game package deal and he went on about how pizzed he was that during the lockout the Flames kept putting $200 charges/month on his Visa to pay for tickets for games they were not playing.

Their only option was to drop the tickets and go to the bottom of a decades long waiting list for tickets.

That shows the height of arrogance by the Flames. I don't think the Devils or Rangers pulled that crap on season ticket holders.

Anyway, I don't doubt that people are tainted by the lockout (especially casual fans)... even if attendance seemed as strong as ever. The Devils sold out I think all but 1-2 home games.

That is nuts charging them for games not played. I am not a ticket holder for the Wild, because I am not independently wealthy, but I believe the Wild were refunding holders for games not played at 6 or 7 percent interest. Their GM last summer was trying to get ticket holders by saying, hey if we play we have the best free agents signed, but, if we don't play, you will have the best fixed income investment currently available on the market.

dando
05-15-13, 04:58 PM

CBJ did the right thing and refunded the games w/some interest, but rates being what they are, I doubt it was much more than a couple of %. The Flames pull this shizzle and then trade Iggy. :shakehead :saywhat:

I can't speak for other teams, but the CBJ attendance was horrid due to their usual bad start and lockout malaise. It only recovered when they made their playoff run late in the season.

-Kevin

dando
05-15-13, 05:47 PM
What's really strange is that ratings for the season were up over last year. Of course that takes into account local broadcasts plus national. However, the playoffs started later and are competing more heavily against sweeps programming. Also, having four Canadian teams can skew US ratings, which I think the NHL is aware of. I received a fan survey asking for what series I was not watching and one of the reasons given to pick from was "Canadian team." ("On past my bedtime" was not an option, surprisingly so.)

May have been exacerbated by the fact that the Monday game 7s were hidden since the channel guide showed F1 racing. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
05-28-13, 06:32 AM
Two game 7s the next two nights. Will the curse of Jeff Carter curse continue for the CBJ? You betcha. :saywhat: :irked:

Brad Richards to the CBJ is a hot topic around here. He was a must have for Nasher a couple of years ago. Now, not so much.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/27/hartnett-buying-out-playoff-passenger-brad-richards-makes-too-much-sense-for-rangers/

Amazes me how Brass underperformed here, yet not. :shakehead There is only one CBJ #1 pick still on the roster 12 seasons later, and one on the farm. That's it. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
05-29-13, 01:41 PM
Torts out @ the NY Jackets...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/9322234/john-tortorella-fired-new-york-rangers-head-coach

:mock surprise:

Didn't see this one coming... :gomer:

How the heck Sather still has a job is beyond me. :saywhat: Naked pics of Dolan? :tony:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
05-29-13, 01:51 PM
No. Dolan and the rest of the MSG crew are simply incompetent idiots.

After a lifetime of being Rangers fan I simply couldn't take ineptitude any longer and moved to the much better run, much more fan friendly Devils years ago.

I have never dropped another team before. That seems just wrong. But I felt they dumped me.

TKGAngel
05-29-13, 07:39 PM
I'm calling it now: Ruff to the Rangers.

Also, if you have 11 minutes to spare, ESPN's latest 30 for 30 short (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9319085/clint-malarchuk-20-year-road-recovery-latest-30-30-documentary-series)is about Clint Malarchuk. It's a darn good story as the guy has been through A LOT and managed to keep going.

Insomniac
06-04-13, 12:10 AM
At least the Penguins are showing the Bruins that they are the real hitting team. ;)

dando
06-04-13, 12:52 AM
I'm calling it now: Ruff to the Rangers.

Also, if you have 11 minutes to spare, ESPN's latest 30 for 30 short (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9319085/clint-malarchuk-20-year-road-recovery-latest-30-30-documentary-series)is about Clint Malarchuk. It's a darn good story as the guy has been through A LOT and managed to keep going.

Many around these parts believe that losing Clint as the CBJ G coach start Mason's downward spiral.

-Kevin

dando
06-05-13, 11:37 PM
Heckuva game tonight...everything you want in a hockey battle. Too bad it will earn a 1.x rating. Thanks Buttman. :shakehead :irked:

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-06-13, 01:09 PM
Heckuva game tonight...everything you want in a hockey battle. Too bad it will earn a 1.x rating. Thanks Buttman. :shakehead :irked:

-Kevin

Campbell finished the power play with a broken leg. :eek:

dando
06-06-13, 01:15 PM
Campbell finished the power play with a broken leg. :eek:

I don't know they play that @ that speed...and with a broken leg?!? :eek: That game was the best of hockey. I don't care for high-scoring games. This one was just about perfect (except the Phlyers were't putting the beat down on the Pens). :(

-Kevin

dando
06-07-13, 10:42 PM
Buh-bye, Pens. 2 goals in 4 games. :eek: Sid and Malkin 0fer. Nice. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Elmo T
06-08-13, 08:18 AM
Seen on Twitter this AM:

Denis Leary ‏@denisleary

Final score Penguins 2, Tukka Rask 158.

:laugh:

dando
06-08-13, 10:33 AM
Denis Leary == all kinds of awesome. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-08-13, 03:06 PM
Buh-bye, Pens. 2 goals in 4 games. :eek: Sid and Malkin 0fer. Nice. :saywhat:

-Kevin

That was just crazy. Averaging >4 goals per game and to be held to 2 the whole series. People had no explanation except to assume Crosby is injured. They put up a fight at least, but it was too late.

Insomniac
06-08-13, 03:09 PM
Seen on Twitter this AM:

:laugh:

I liked this from the other day (following game 2) from a JetBlue Airways Pilot flying back to Boston from Pittsburgh:

“Baby crying in back of JetBlue flight packed w/ Boston media. Pilot just got on intercom and asked if ‘Sidney Crosby was in the back crying,'”

TKGAngel
06-08-13, 03:46 PM
And to think that this is the same Bruins team was 10 minutes away from elimination by the Laffs.

dando
06-08-13, 06:10 PM
And to think that this is the same Bruins team was 10 minutes away from elimination by the Laffs.

Someone tweeted that Rask was seconds away from losing 3-0 and 3-1 series leads. :eek:

-Kevin

dando
06-08-13, 10:29 PM
It's almost like and East hockey tilt in breaking out in Chitown tonight. Good stuff.

-Kevin

dando
06-08-13, 10:51 PM
Jeebus. Another tying goal in the waning seconds? :eek:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
06-12-13, 11:08 PM
Bruins hawks headed to OT. Please tell me what is better than NHL playoffs.

dando
06-12-13, 11:15 PM
Bruins hawks headed to OT. Please tell me what is better than NHL playoffs.

Oh, I dunno....how about watching game one in PIP with the local weather guys in the other PIP doing play-by-play. :saywhat:

-Kevin

G.
06-13-13, 01:07 AM
Yeah, that didn't take long.

dando
06-13-13, 01:12 AM
So Rask goes from genius to bum, as the Broons blow a 3-1 lead in 3 OTs...oh, the fickle finger of fate. I have no dog in this fight. I just want a good, long, hard-fought series.

EDIT: 59 saves...gotta pin some of the blame on the Broons' D. Unfortunately with all of the weather break ins, I only saw the game in chunks. :\

And the game ended just in time for the Derecho to slam us. Winds reported to 80mph in Indyana. :eek:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
06-13-13, 09:32 AM
4.8 overnight rating for Game 1. :thumbup:

dando
06-13-13, 09:50 AM

Not here. :gomer: We only had the third period and the OTs in full screen other than snipets of the first two. :irked: They should have good rating being Beantown and Chitown. The guarantees the NE corridor and the midwest. Plus, first Original Six finals since '79 (?).

-Kevin

SteveH
06-13-13, 09:51 AM

:rofl: A game like that will only increase ratings, I would think.

TKGAngel
06-13-13, 10:57 AM
Not here. :gomer: We only had the third period and the OTs in full screen other than snipets of the first two. :irked: They should have good rating being Beantown and Chitown. The guarantees the NE corridor and the midwest. Plus, first Original Six finals since '79 (?).

-Kevin

Top markets were Chicago, Boston, Providence, Buffalo and Milwaukee. And while it wouldn't provide enough lift to overtake Providence in the list, the Buffalo numbers do not include those HH's that watched the game on HNiC.

dando
06-13-13, 11:23 AM
Top markets were Chicago, Boston, Providence, Buffalo and Milwaukee. And while it wouldn't provide enough lift to overtake Providence in the list, the Buffalo numbers do not include those HH's that watched the game on HNiC.

We likely would have been a top market, but I suspect that most peeps got pizzed that the first two frames were 90% PIP with weather dude doing play-by-play. Plus, the beat writers and others started tweeting URLs on where to catch the game on the Web. Although one of the local scribes noted that the game feed was on a serious delay (she quipped that the feed was so slow that the Pens were still in the playoffs. :rofl:)

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-13-13, 02:02 PM
So Rask goes from genius to bum, as the Broons blow a 3-1 lead in 3 OTs...oh, the fickle finger of fate. I have no dog in this fight. I just want a good, long, hard-fought series.

EDIT: 59 saves...gotta pin some of the blame on the Broons' D. Unfortunately with all of the weather break ins, I only saw the game in chunks. :\

And the game ended just in time for the Derecho to slam us. Winds reported to 80mph in Indyana. :eek:

-Kevin

I don't think anyone thinks this is at all on Rask. Bad defense (turnover) on goal #2 and a shot not on goal deflected in off a defensive skate. It was withing reach for the Bruins. Tough loss. :(

dando
06-16-13, 12:05 AM
Got damn, we gots us a Vezina winner in Cbus! Congrats, Bob! :thumbup: Now if we can just sign him to an extension. :\

-Kevin

Insomniac
06-16-13, 11:52 AM
Another OT and good game. Bruins were getting beat badly in period 1. Put a better fight in 2 and 3 and ultimately won it. I was concerned starting out. Blackhawks were shooting furiously. Bruins really are having a tough time getting the puck inside the blue line though. Tied at 1, home-ice advantage gone.

dando
06-19-13, 10:54 PM
Jeebus what a game and series. Holy crap, Batman!

-Kevin