PDA

View Full Version : NFL Regular Season 2012

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

WickerBill
09-07-12, 07:09 PM
To avoid the pick'em thread turning into an NFL news thread, and since preseason is over...

Two talking points to start:

1. Saints players win appeal against The Rog and can play on Sunday

2. Moment of silence in Cleveland for Art Modell....

Insomniac
09-07-12, 09:04 PM
Be interesting to see what comes from the forced "do over" of the bounty suspensions.

nrc
09-07-12, 09:56 PM
To avoid the pick'em thread turning into an NFL news thread, and since preseason is over...

Two talking points to start:

1. Saints players win appeal against The Rog and can play on Sunday

2. Moment of silence in Cleveland for Art Modell....

Where do they set the bar for moments of silence for dead former NFL owners? There was some push to put him in the HOF recently, and I don't think it's merited. He didn't found anything. He didn't pioneer anything. He bought a dynasty and turned into just another team. They're playing up his role in the league but most of the kudos for those accomplishments already went to Pete Rozelle. He's not a Lamar Hunt or Al Davis.

Andrew Longman
09-08-12, 11:09 AM
Where do they set the bar for moments of silence for dead former NFL owners? There was some push to put him in the HOF recently, and I don't think it's merited. He didn't found anything. He didn't pioneer anything. He bought a dynasty and ithturned into just another team. They're playing up his role in the league but most of the kudos for those accomplishments already went to Pete Rozelle. He's not a Lamar Hunt or Al Davis.Well... With Wellington Mara he led the idea of sharing TV revenue... Which made the NFL what it is. And IIRC MNF was his idea too.

Don Quixote
09-08-12, 11:34 AM
Well... With Wellington Mara he led the idea of sharing TV revenue... Which made the NFL what it is. And IIRC MNF was his idea too.Those are hardly enough to get him into the hall. The bad outweighs the good by 100 to 1.

http://www.ridertown.com/news/MDW/bastard200.jpg

WickerBill
09-08-12, 04:39 PM
Modell tribute at CLE tomorrow canceled at request of Modell family.

Don Quixote
09-08-12, 05:31 PM
Modell tribute at CLE tomorrow canceled at request of Modell family.Good decision. There will be fewer bottles and batteries to pick up after the game.

dando
09-10-12, 04:31 PM
Weekend 1 notes:

Didn't get the love for the Chiefs going into the season, confirmed yesterday.

Same as above with the Eagles (Clowns snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...should that game be game referred to as The Turd to go with The Fumble, The Pass and The Drive?).

9ers might be the best team in the NFC (if not the NFL).

Nags, Bears, Pats, Falcons == good as expected.

Jets O surprising, but still not a buyer.

Not sold on the 'skins yet.

Refs in Cards/Seahags game == :thumdown: I saw a few other questionable calls in the Clowns/Eagles game.

-Kevin

Gnam
09-10-12, 05:23 PM
49ers' head coach Jim Harbaugh's reaction to the refs in yesterday's game.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/9/3306103/jim-harbaugh-49ers-packers-gif

:D

dando
09-10-12, 05:30 PM
49ers' head coach Jim Harbaugh's reaction to the refs in yesterday's game.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/9/3306103/jim-harbaugh-49ers-packers-gif

:D

One of these days, Harmonkey is gonna pop a vein. :saywhat:

-Kevin

extramundane
09-10-12, 05:47 PM
Not sold on the 'skins yet.

It's funny how many people threw 13 years of Dan Snyder Futility Watch out the window yesterday. Although according to a lot of skins fans today, apparently they beat New Orleans and the Giants this week, so maybe they really are that good. :gomer:

dando
09-10-12, 06:27 PM
It's funny how many people threw 13 years of Dan Snyder Futility Watch out the window yesterday. Although according to a lot of skins fans today, apparently they beat New Orleans and the Giants this week, so maybe they really are that good. :gomer:

Dude, with our HQ located in Dulles for many, many years I dealt with these fans. Break out the dresses and pig noses, and all is forgotten. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
09-10-12, 07:21 PM
Jets O surprising, but still not a buyer.

Tebow had 11 yards rushing and zero pass attempts, but the CBS crew was ready to anoint him Pope at the end of the game. Then again, he was a stud compared to Fitz. :\

And on a somewhat related note, I stumbled across this article while at work today. Bill Simpson develops new helmet for NFL, with financial backing from Chip Ganassi (http://www.pddnet.com/news/2012/09/race-helmet-designer-turns-eye-football-safety).

extramundane
09-10-12, 08:34 PM
Dude, with our HQ located in Dulles for many, many years I dealt with these fans. Break out the dresses and pig noses, and all is forgotten. :gomer: :saywhat:

This article (http://deadspin.com/5941905/redskins-quarterback-had-a-great-debut) managed to frustrate at least 3 of 'em today. :D

So after years of failure, Washington fans had to be delighted to see the numbers RGIII put up in his first start for the team. When you see a stat line like this—in a road game, even!—there's no arguing against it.

RGIII went 25 for 43 for 322 yards, with four touchdowns. His quarterback rating was 93.4.

Congratulations, Washington! There's your quarterback of the future.

A future that began on Dec. 19, 2010, with a stellar performance by Rex Daniel Grossman III.

dando
09-10-12, 10:17 PM
Bungles pwned. :saywhat: :irked: Good news for my E$PN FFL team, but otherwise....not so much. :shakehead

-Kevin

Dvdb
09-10-12, 11:27 PM
I have to think that some of the *legacy* owners will get into the Hall. Bidwell? Discuss

nrc
09-11-12, 03:10 AM
Bungles pwned. :saywhat: :irked: Good news for my E$PN FFL team, but otherwise....not so much. :shakehead

-Kevin

Hugely disappointed in the defense. The offense showed some sparks but with the defense unable to stop the Ravens early on they were stuck playing catch-up. Never a good thing against the Ravens defense. So you take chances and things get out of hand.

Officiating sucked, as it did all weekend. But I doubt it was severe enough to cause people to storm NFL headquarters demanding a settlement. It was only about as bad as the worst game I see all year normally. People are accustomed to seeing one of those. If the crews improve they'll be ok.

chop456
09-11-12, 04:02 AM
WB:

How is the number 27 Broncos jersey not retired? :saywhat:

Sincerely,

Me

extramundane
09-11-12, 08:12 AM
I'm convinced ESPN let Berman call a game to remind us that no matter how bad Gruden is, it could always be worse. :shakehead

dando
09-11-12, 08:17 AM
I'm convinced ESPN let Berman call a game to remind us that no matter how bad Gruden is, it could always be worse. :shakehead

Yeah, he was pretty bad last night. He needs to go away. If you can imagine, Dick Stockton was even worse doing the Clowns game. Dude is really showing his age. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
09-11-12, 08:23 AM
WB:

How is the number 27 Broncos jersey not retired? :saywhat:

Sincerely,

Me

That's a good question. I just reread this article recently. Chilling.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1184186/1/index.htm

WickerBill
09-11-12, 10:42 AM
They're an interesting organization when it comes to that. You'll notice that Shannon Sharpe's number isn't retired either, despite being in the HoF and the most prolific tight end ever (to that point). The number 30 is also still used by Denver, despite being worn by a 2,000 yard rusher and Super Bowl MVP.

I know Moreno talked with the Williams family before taking that number, and they approved. But personally, I don't know how you can retire the number for a promising young man and never use it again -- where do you draw the line next time?

It's very sad, but I don't think it is necessarily the wrong decision to allow the number to be used again.

Andrew Longman
09-11-12, 10:56 AM
But personally, I don't know how you can retire the number for a promising young man and never use it again -- where do you draw the line next time?Agreed.

The Yankees were the first baseball team to assign numbers and the first to retire them.

They've retired more than a few, but none were for "promising" players. They had to be truly great and greater than a lot of great players who didn't get their numbers retired.

DQ: great article. Good journalism that is becoming increasingly rare.

dando
09-11-12, 11:00 AM
Hugely disappointed in the defense. The offense showed some sparks but with the defense unable to stop the Ravens early on they were stuck playing catch-up. Never a good thing against the Ravens defense. So you take chances and things get out of hand.

Officiating sucked, as it did all weekend. But I doubt it was severe enough to cause people to storm NFL headquarters demanding a settlement. It was only about as bad as the worst game I see all year normally. People are accustomed to seeing one of those. If the crews improve they'll be ok.

I knew secondary was going to be an issue going into the season, but Flacco going off like that? Flacco?!? :saywhat: :shakehead I also think the lack of experience @ WR is going to haunt them all season. Not sure I agree with releasing Ship. He had intangibles to bring to the team. Hopefully they right the ship this weekend against the Clowns. I need to watch the complete game yet, as I only caught parts of it (mostly late in the game) due to more drama in our house with our youngest tipping her chair backward during dinner, and requiring a few stitches. So the past two weeks for me involves a car hitting the house, getting D papers and last night's mishap. Oy.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
09-11-12, 12:45 PM
Flacco?!? :saywhat: :shakehead Jersey kid from "down the shore" (that's how you are supposed to say it) where they really know how to play football. He was really good. Tore it up at Delaware too.
Don't let the DIAA status fool you. I always thought he was a good (though admittedly unlikely) pick for them.

So the past two weeks for me involves a car hitting the house, getting D papers and last night's mishap. Oy. And likely 15 more weeks of Bungles futility to distract you (runs)

But you still have your health. ;)

dando
09-11-12, 03:57 PM
Jersey kid from "down the shore" (that's how you are supposed to say it) where they really know how to play football. He was really good. Tore it up at Delaware too.
Don't let the DIAA status fool you. I always thought he was a good (though admittedly unlikely) pick for them.

And likely 15 more weeks of Bungles futility to distract you (runs)

But you still have your health. ;)

It's all about balance. It'll even out with TSUN futility. :gomer: :D :p

No mas against Flacco in general, but Tom Brady he is not. The Bungles made him look Bradyesque last night.

-Kevin

Don Quixote
09-11-12, 05:23 PM
The Bengals will make Weeden look like .............. Weeden.

dando
09-11-12, 05:33 PM

Weeden is Tim Couch redux, IMO. No OL in front of him, no WRs to throw to...even TRich was called out be the talking for not running hard.

-Kevin

nrc
09-11-12, 05:53 PM
I knew secondary was going to be an issue going into the season, but Flacco going off like that? Flacco?!? :saywhat: :shakehead I also think the lack of experience @ WR is going to haunt them all season. Not sure I agree with releasing Ship. He had intangibles to bring to the team.

I wish I could say that I thought Shipley had something to add right now. He just didn't look like the same guy in preseason. Hopelessly slow and no change of direction. You could cover him with a lineman right now. I hope with some additional rehab he can get back in the game. The Bucs cut him and as far as I know he's on the street right now.

WR is one of the bright spots on the team. Hawkins is a real weapon that defenses will have to account for. Binns, Jones, and Sanu are upgrades over Simpson. Whalen is essentially Shipley with knees that still work.

The big concern is defense. I hate to say it but the countdown has started for Maualuga. He just isn't getting the job done and I don't see them offering a new contract without some signs that he can get on the field and play well consistently. Another outing like last night and we may get to see whether Burfict can do any better.

Hopefully Kirkpatrick can get in there and make an impact on coverage.

Sorry to hear your evening was such a complete downer. Hopefully Weeden will make the defense look a lot better and you'll have something to smile about next week.

Andrew Longman
09-11-12, 06:06 PM
The Bungles made him look Bradyesque last night.

-KevinThey made that Rutgers kid look pretty good too. 10 rushes for 68 yards and 2 TDs.

chop456
09-12-12, 01:44 AM
That's a good question. I just reread this article recently. Chilling.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1184186/1/index.htm

I had no idea what you were talking about and had forgotten that whole thing until I read the article.

I was talking about Steve Atwater. :\

Napoleon
09-12-12, 06:31 AM
The head linesman from sundays browns eagles game is currently refereeing a seventh grade game in oklahoma (http://deadspin.com/5942447/the-head-linesman-from-sundays-browns+eagles-game-is-currently-refereeing-a-seventh+grade-game-in-oklahoma?tag=scabwatch)

WickerBill
09-12-12, 06:36 AM
I had no idea what you were talking about and had forgotten that whole thing until I read the article.

I was talking about Steve Atwater. :\

I wondered if that is who you meant, but ultimately decided you must've meant Williams. The Smiling Assassin, if I can be bold, was our version of Bob Sanders. Made the whole defense better. However, he has the same "baggage" that Sharpe has -- didn't play his whole career in Denver, which is the only reason I can figure the two of them don't have retired numbers. Both are in the ring of honor.

chop456
09-12-12, 06:57 AM
The head linesman from sundays browns eagles game is currently refereeing a seventh grade game in oklahoma (http://deadspin.com/5942447/the-head-linesman-from-sundays-browns+eagles-game-is-currently-refereeing-a-seventh+grade-game-in-oklahoma?tag=scabwatch)

A lateral move, it would seem.

Don Quixote
09-12-12, 08:30 AM

I was talking about Steve Atwater. :\:rofl: Oh my. Anyway, when Steve Atwater first showed up at Denver's training camp Woody Paige said "Steve Atwater doesn't know the meaning of the word fear. And there's lots of other words he doesn't know the meaning of."

Andrew Longman
09-12-12, 01:38 PM
I wondered if that is who you meant,...Which is right there is probably why they shouldn't retire the number. ;)

Don Quixote
09-14-12, 09:00 AM
Not that Cutler doesn't have some legitimate gripes with that team. His receivers can't catch, they run the wrong routes, his O-line couldn't block me. But at this point in his life and career can he act like anything other than a 12 year old brat?

WickerBill
09-15-12, 08:50 AM
Had a chance to trade Cutler for Schaub straight up for my fantasy team. I didn't pull the trigger. Argh!

WickerBill
09-16-12, 06:23 PM
Greg Schiano is a bit of a knob, isn't he?

Don Quixote
09-17-12, 11:05 AM
It seems like the most interesting part of these games is the coaches meeting at midfield after the game is over.

dando
09-17-12, 12:16 PM
Week two notes:

Seahags > 'America's Team' :eek: :thumbup:
Cards > Pats @ home. :eek: :eek:
The battle for the tallest dwarf in oHIo. :laugh:
Chiefs pre-season love...never got it. Still don't.
Fish > Raiderz...nice move from suck to suckier, CP. :rofl:

Who Deys *should* be able to be 5-1 heading into Blitzburgh on 21-Oct. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Racing Truth
09-17-12, 12:36 PM

Sooo, pretty good, then?:thumbup:

Relieved, b/c the Colt McCoy honks were smelling blood. No more.

Oh, and TRich.:thumbup:;)

Don Quixote
09-17-12, 12:58 PM
Sooo, pretty good, then?:thumbup:

Relieved, b/c the Colt McCoy honks were smelling blood. No more.

Oh, and TRich.:thumbup:;) I made the stupid mistake of overestimating the Bungles. :D

Gnam
09-17-12, 04:00 PM
NFC West was undefeated in Week 2. :thumbup:

The 49ers' northern tour continues next week against the Vikings and then they play every team in New York. So far, all anyone is complaining about is special teams. If this is a dream, don't wake me.

Racing Truth
09-17-12, 07:59 PM
I made the stupid mistake of overestimating the Bungles. :D

Sure, but I'll still take it. And I think they'll move the ball on Buffalo, too.

dando
09-18-12, 02:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8394294/nfl-coaches-players-fed-fill-refs

NFL becoming a laughing stock with the officiating issues. Dare I say USAC Race Control? :shakehead :saywhat: :thumdown:

-Kevin

dando
09-18-12, 02:44 PM
Party like it's 1999. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8394092/atlanta-falcons-rb-michael-turner-charged-dui-speeding)

:shakehead

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
09-18-12, 03:22 PM

NFL becoming a laughing stock with the officiating issues. Dare I say USAC Race Control? :shakehead :saywhat: :thumdown:

-Kevin

NFL won't care until people buy fewer tickets. Short sighted and stupid, but we've seen that before in pro sports.

dando
09-18-12, 03:43 PM
NFL won't care until people buy fewer tickets. Short sighted and stupid, but we've seen that before in pro sports.

They already are buying fewer tix...hence the reduction in the blackout rules for this season. Many teams, including the Jags, Clowns and Bungles have struggled to sell out for the past season plus. Also consider that the NFL Sunday Ticket is free now with new DTV subs (it was a reduced cost the past ~5 years). The NFL, as with all other pro sports, is struggling BIG time. Even tOSU hasn't sold out games the past three weekends.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
09-18-12, 05:02 PM
Using "struggling" to describe billionaires and millionaires squabbling with each other is hard for me to get my head around.

OT, but Badger Football is not selling out either and as s***** as they are, I think that trend is gonna accelerate.

Gnam
09-18-12, 05:42 PM
The seating capacity has been reduced in all three recent Bay Area stadium construction projects:
2006 Stanford: 85,500 --> 50,000
2012 Cal Bears: 71,799 --> 63,000
2014 SF 49ers: 70,207 --> 68,500

Less is more I guess.

nrc
09-18-12, 05:50 PM

-Kevin

Wha? "Would you bring in division III officials for the Indy 500?" They always had division III officials for the Indy 500.

WickerBill
09-18-12, 06:20 PM
OT, but Badger Football is not selling out either and as s***** as they are, I think that trend is gonna accelerate.

Jump around!

(I'd go just to witness that 60 seconds)

Methanolandbrats
09-18-12, 07:22 PM
Jump around!

(I'd go just to witness that 60 seconds)

One of my daughters works in the press box. The whole thing moves and stuff on the desks moves around during jump around. Structural engineers say it's all cool, but she says it's scary.:eek:

pfc_m_drake
09-18-12, 09:32 PM
Sort of off topic for this thread, but RIP Steve Sabol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sabol) :(

I remember watching many years of NFL films - he had one of those iconic voices that you never forget.

Methanolandbrats
09-19-12, 12:22 AM
Sort of off topic for this thread, but RIP Steve Sabol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sabol) :(

I remember watching many years of NFL films - he had one of those iconic voices that you never forget.

Those films are just f'n awesome. Rain, snow, 100F, tight end about to run over the shooter, nothing mattered, they hung in there. RIP.

Andrew Longman
09-19-12, 02:19 AM
Sort of off topic for this thread, but RIP Steve Sabol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sabol) :(That.

He is a great story.

And I am really glad he FINALLY made the HOF before he died.

People talk about the importance of TV in making the NFL explode in popularity in the 60s, but Sabol absolutely defined how it should be presented on TV for maximum effect (e.g., the tight shot of the ball leaving the QBs hand, then opening up to pan as the ball flew though the air, and then tightening to focus on the ball cradling into the receiver's hands)

Sabol invented that shot and so much more that were unheard of prior, now much copied, and absolutely crucial to visually represent what is really excellent work, going on while also allowing teams to keep things real -- not play to the cameras with a visual product no one believes.

RIP

WickerBill
09-19-12, 05:17 AM
I thought his dad made the HoF, not him.

dando
09-19-12, 06:26 AM
I thought his dad made the HoF, not him.

Correct.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8395254/nfl-films-president-steve-sabol-dies-brain-cancer

But he should have been inducted while living. Doesn't diminish his accomplishments, tho. Great, great man. :thumbup: RIP. :(

-Kevin

chop456
09-19-12, 07:33 AM
I wouldn't have guessed he was that old. I always admired the way NFL films could take footage from an hour ago and make it look like it was from 1966.

RIP

Don Quixote
09-20-12, 10:05 AM
Smokin Jay

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/smokin-joe-cutler-dont-care

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/terminal05/2012/9/19/15/enhanced-buzz-29958-1348081729-8.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web05/2012/9/19/15/enhanced-buzz-21614-1348082036-16.jpg

Andrew Longman
09-20-12, 04:40 PM
I thought his dad made the HoF, not him.Crap, I misread that. I thought it was his dad who died. His dad has been in a pretty bad way for several years. I had no idea Steve was sick. Or 70 years old.

But Steve actually was even more innovative than his father.

"Life is good. Football is better": Steve Sabol

nrc
09-22-12, 09:43 PM
Stupid CBS is showing the stupid Browns tomorrow. I would have thought Bengals vs RG3 would get more interest than Browns vs Bills. :irked:

I'm thinking I'll just spend the day on yard work and wait until I can watch the game on NFL Rewind at midnight.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums (http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums)

WickerBill
09-24-12, 07:36 AM
Saints and Colts defenses are terrible. That wasn't as big a deal when they met in the super bowl with terrible defenses and great offenses... but it's a big deal now.

Michael Vick is going to get killed out there.

Arizona is a good team, but they don't have enough offense to compete in January.

I love how the Broncos got rid of a QB who could only do anything in the fourth quarter for a QB who can only do things in the fourth quarter.

Don Quixote
09-24-12, 08:28 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/matt-schaub-loses-piece-ear-illegal-hit-013507090--nfl.html

Broncos Joe Mays will be making a sizeable contibution to the league. Watch the video.

dando
09-24-12, 09:15 AM
Time Warner finally ended its dispute with the NFL Network. Starting yesterday, the NFL Network is now available on TWC. About flipping time. :saywhat: :mad:

-Kevin

nrc
09-24-12, 09:21 AM
Ha. I hope everyone in Central Ohio enjoyed watching the Browns fall to 0-3. It's just as well, the Bengals game was a bit too exciting. :gomer:

WickerBill
09-24-12, 09:25 AM
The Bengals looked good. The fifty-yards-in-the-air pass by your rookie WR that hit Green in stride was eye-opening. My team's QB can't do that.

dando
09-24-12, 09:33 AM
Ha. I hope everyone in Central Ohio enjoyed watching the Browns fall to 0-3. It's just as well, the Bengals game was a bit too exciting. :gomer:

:mad: :saywhat: Pathetic that 10TV continues to show the Clowns. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
09-24-12, 09:34 AM
The Bengals looked good. The fifty-yards-in-the-air pass by your rookie WR that hit Green in stride was eye-opening. My team's QB can't do that.

Not liking the D one bit. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
09-24-12, 09:36 AM
More replacement ref follies week 3 style. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000065279/article/replacement-officials-errors-spark-controversy-in-week-3)

»Oakland Raiders wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey was taken to the hospital with a neck injury after a helmet-to-helmet hit from Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Mundy that was not penalized.

Heyward-Bey was running across the end zone early in the fourth quarter to catch a pass from Carson Palmer when Mundy launched his body and lowered his helmet into Heyward-Bey's facemask. Heyward-Bey's neck jerked violently and his head also crashed into the ground. The pass was incomplete.

"Once again, the refs missed it, like they always do," Oakland defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said.

That hit was heinous. Not throwing the flag on that was just plain criminal. :irked:

-Kevin

dando
09-24-12, 11:11 AM
Expect Bellyache to get a hefty fine after last night's shenanigans. :saywhat:

9ers? WTF? Srsly...pantsed by the Vikes?!? My new pick for best overall team in the NFC are the dirty birds.

Not sure what to make of the AFC yet. Ravens? Texans?

-Kevin

extramundane
09-24-12, 11:29 AM

If both Schaub & Flacco are still in one piece and completing passes by November 1, I'll be shocked.

WickerBill
09-24-12, 11:46 AM
Schaub is already in two pieces after yesterday.

Texans are a complete team in an easy division.

Insomniac
09-24-12, 01:05 PM
If both Schaub & Flacco are still in one piece and completing passes by November 1, I'll be shocked.

The Pats thought it was 2 hand touch with Flacco.

Insomniac
09-24-12, 01:06 PM
Expect Bellyache to get a hefty fine after last night's shenanigans. :saywhat:

9ers? WTF? Srsly...pantsed by the Vikes?!? My new pick for best overall team in the NFC are the dirty birds.

-Kevin

AFC is wide open. Texans look the best. The whole league seems flawed. Mediocrity or parity?

Don Quixote
09-24-12, 01:46 PM
My team's QB can't do that.He is sandbagging, you'll see. :D

Gnam
09-24-12, 02:14 PM
9ers? WTF? Srsly...pantsed by the Vikes?!?
-Kevin

The 49ers have 4 weeks before they start confernece play. Hopefully all the kinks are worked out by then.

WickerBill
09-24-12, 02:29 PM
It seemed bizarre to me that the 49ers played their first three games against the NFC North.

Andrew Longman
09-24-12, 03:33 PM
The 49ers have 4 weeks before they start confernece play. Hopefully all the kinks are worked out by then.A Big 10 approach to scheduling it would seem.

dando
09-24-12, 11:58 PM
Total flipping BS. NFL == :saywhat: :irked: :shakehead

-Kevin

stroker
09-25-12, 12:19 AM
NFL = WWE.

That game was beyond BS. That was insulting my intelligence. If they're TRYING to get people angry enough to never watch the NFL again they're pretty goddamned close to succeeding. If I'm GB I don't come out for the next game unless the regular officiating crew is on the field. Go ahead, rule it a forfeit. At least I don't risk a career-ending injury for a loss completely beyond my control. I simply can't believe I saw what I watched.

chop456
09-25-12, 01:34 AM
NFL = WWE.

That game was beyond BS. That was insulting my intelligence. If they're TRYING to get people angry enough to never watch the NFL again they're pretty goddamned close to succeeding. If I'm GB I don't come out for the next game unless the regular officiating crew is on the field. Go ahead, rule it a forfeit. At least I don't risk a career-ending injury for a loss completely beyond my control. I simply can't believe I saw what I watched.

Agree completely. Although seeing the Packers lose doesn't necessarily hurt my feelings, you just know that everyone will get screwed sooner or later. The PI call was garbage. The roughing call was garbage. PF on Jennings was garbage.

That "touchdown" may have been the worst officiating I've seen since Kent Hrbek/Ron Gant. It's a complete embarrassment and I'd love for every team to refuse to play this week.

dando
09-25-12, 08:58 AM
The only way that game could have ended better.

0fZCCAqoSwY

:gomer: :shakehead :saywhat:

I don't believe what I just saw.

jdpImFSHhDA

:irked:

-Kevin

dando
09-25-12, 09:02 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-0925-plaschke-nfl-officials-20120925-28,0,1808277.column

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8422934/seattle-seahawks-vs-green-bay-packers-disputed-mnf-call-shifted-150-250m-bets

-Kevin

extramundane
09-25-12, 09:14 AM
Another gem from Chris Kluwe (http://deadspin.com/5946122/im-a-minnesota-viking-and-i-think-the-packers-got-screwed)

One of the main points Commissioner Goodell has always harped on is protecting the shield: not letting anything tarnish the brand of the NFL. Commissioner, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but right now the shield is tarnishing faster than a sailor's virtue in a two-dollar whorehouse.

dando
09-25-12, 09:21 AM
Another gem from Chris Kluwe (http://deadspin.com/5946122/im-a-minnesota-viking-and-i-think-the-packers-got-screwed)

I’m A Minnesota Viking, And I Think The Packers Got Screwed

That says it all right there. :thumbup: :thumbup:

-Kevin

Rex Karz
09-25-12, 09:29 AM
I'm a life-long Bears fan and in the wake of last night's game, am not shedding any tears over a Packer loss.

But . . . . golly . . . . settle this effin' thing, NFL. Get rid of these replacement refs.

If you saw that hit in the Steelers-Raiders game, there should have been a game ejection and the NFL should suspend the guy a couple of games and give him a heavy fine. Instead there was . . . . no penalty?? WTF???

TKGAngel
09-25-12, 10:06 AM

Chris Kluwe has been on fire these past couple of weeks. :thumbup:

Elmo T
09-25-12, 10:25 AM
Officiating is crap - seriously bad calls.

But I think the players are taking some liberties here too. Look at the extracurricular shenanigans lately. I blame the officiating for not stopping it, but the players and coaches haven't been without sin.

Napoleon
09-25-12, 10:35 AM
The Lingerie Football League announces that it fired a couple crews which apparently are now officiating in the NFL because of incompetence. (http://deadspin.com/5946112/the-lingerie-football-league-announces-that-it-fired-a-couple-crews-which-apparently-are-now-officiating-in-the-nfl-because-of-incompetence)

dando
09-25-12, 11:22 AM
Officiating is crap - seriously bad calls.

But I think the players are taking some liberties here too. Look at the extracurricular shenanigans lately. I blame the officiating for not stopping it, but the players and coaches haven't been without sin.

Funny thing is the talking heads on E$PN on Sunday were lauding the 'relaxed' rules under the semi-pro officials. :saywhat: Last night was a complete joke in the 4th Q. :shakehead

-Kevin

NismoZ
09-25-12, 12:47 PM
Sorry I'm late but re: Steve Sabol...I have long since lost track of the particular years but I was brought up on John Facenda's NFL Films commentary. He was extraordinary, but when he died (1984) and was replaced by Sabol I recall immediately thinking what a seamless transition it was. Sabol was THE natural successor. Those highlight reels/tapes/discs are great entertainment.

nrc
09-25-12, 03:03 PM
I predict that within two weeks of the normal officials being back we'll hear an outcry: "These are the guys we wanted back so badly?"

Yeah, the replacements are substantially worse than the usual lot. But a big proportion of the problem is just the fact that all the usual complaining about officiating is now assumed to be valid. Most of the people complaining don't know the rules any better than the replacement officials.

The big Packers game controversy is a perfect example. 90% of the brouhaha over that was talking heads going on about rules they don't even understand themselves. The one key point is that it should have been offensive pass interference (game over). But there's interference on almost every hail mary and it's almost never called.

stroker
09-25-12, 03:58 PM
Any time you get $1 billion dollars moving unexpectedly it makes me highly suspicious....

Rex Karz
09-25-12, 04:51 PM
I predict that within two weeks of the normal officials being back we'll hear an outcry: "These are the guys we wanted back so badly?"

Yeah, the replacements are substantially worse than the usual lot. But a big proportion of the problem is just the fact that all the usual complaining about officiating is now assumed to be valid. Most of the people complaining don't know the rules any better than the replacement officials.

The big Packers game controversy is a perfect example. 90% of the brouhaha over that was talking heads going on about rules they don't even understand themselves. The one key point is that it should have been offensive pass interference (game over). But there's interference on almost every hail mary and it's almost never called.

Yes, there is pass interference on about every Hail Mary pass, including this one. And, yes, the Seattle guy did commit pass interference against the Green Bay guy.

But the center of this controversy is whether the Seattle player got simultaneous possession of the ball with the Green Bay player. With no simultaneous possession, there is no touchdown for Seattle.

The official NFL rules are pretty clear about the rules surrounding simultaneous possession. See http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2012%20-%20Rule%20Book.pdf, page 39

The rule is:

Item 5: Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers (i.e., the team on offense). It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first, and an opponent subsequently gains joint control.

In looking at the replay, the Green Bay defender jumped higher than the Seattle guy, and got possession of the ball. It wasn't until they were both near or on the ground before the Seattle guy even touched the ball.

In my point of view (and, yes I am a life-long Bears fan) Seattle not only benefited from a missed (though seldom called) pass interference call, but also from a missed call concering joint possession.

There always have been and there always will be missed and blown calls by officials. But this one is really blatant.

dando
09-25-12, 05:08 PM
But the center of this controversy is whether the Seattle player got simultaneous possession of the ball with the Green Bay player. With no simultaneous possession, there is no touchdown for Seattle.

More than that. It was the fact the BJ and SJ made different calls, and the R was no where to be seen. It was like a scene from the Three Stooges. I criticize refs constantly (especially hoops), but rarely, if ever, NFL refs. These guys make Ed Hightower look like a genius. :saywhat: :shakehead Granted, we are more focused on the officiating due to the lockout, but these crews are proving the point. :irked:

-Kevin

Insomniac
09-25-12, 05:50 PM
Funny thing is the talking heads on E$PN on Sunday were lauding the 'relaxed' rules under the semi-pro officials. :saywhat: Last night was a complete joke in the 4th Q. :shakehead

-Kevin

I would be too, if they were going back to pre-Colts whining days where you could rough up a WR (to a degree) until the pass was let go, but after the debacle that I saw in NE-BAL, you have no clue what they will or won't call. Either let them play, or don't, but don't mix and match it.

Insomniac
09-25-12, 05:56 PM
Yes, there is pass interference on about every Hail Mary pass, including this one. And, yes, the Seattle guy did commit pass interference against the Green Bay guy.

The official NFL rules are pretty clear about the rules surrounding simultaneous possession. See http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2012%20-%20Rule%20Book.pdf, page 39

The rule is:

In looking at the replay, the Green Bay defender jumped higher than the Seattle guy, and got possession of the ball. It wasn't until they were both near or on the ground before the Seattle guy even touched the ball.

In my point of view (and, yes I am a life-long Bears fan) Seattle not only benefited from a missed (though seldom called) pass interference call, but also from a missed call concering joint possession.

There always have been and there always will be missed and blown calls by officials. But this one is really blatant.

What is gain control? It's not a catch until he gets his feet down. Is that when control is gained? The rules are a little ambiguous in my opinion. Every year we debate the going to the ground catch/completion rule.

Also, they usually call PI on a hail mary when

the WR catches it and commits offensive PI (this case), or
the WR was positioned to likely catch it and the defender committed PI

They generally let all the ancillary stuff go (trying to get in position).

Rex Karz
09-25-12, 06:26 PM
There's a distinction between "gaining control" and "completing/intercepting the pass." Having seen the replay about a gazillion times, the GB player seems to have wrapped his arms around the ball and pressed the ball to his chest. While it is not a completed catch/interception until his feet hit the turf (or the knee hits the turf, etc.), I think this qualifies as "gains control" of the ball.

At best it seems the Seattle player was pretty much laying his hands on the ball or trying to pull it away by the time they crashed to the turf.

By the time the replacement refs got there, the GB guy still had his arms wrapped around the ball while the Seattle guy had a his hands on the ball. Having watched pro football for most of my life, I'd say this qualifies as an intercepted pass, not as a case of simultaneous possession.

Of course, we all know how the replacement zebras saw it.