PDA

View Full Version : NFL Regular Season 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

dando
01-06-13, 08:14 PM
It will be interesting to see the fallout from Shanny's decision to RG3 in the game up 14-0, when he clearly wasn't the same after went it the 'shed' behind the bench. Knees don't bend sideways like that. RG3's has twice in a month. :saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
01-06-13, 08:18 PM
Griffin is 22. Is he going to have a career when he is 25?

He could well be the next Carson Palmer...worthless after a major knee injury. If he has any knee ligaments still attached. :saywhat: Not to mention that field is atrocious. :irked:

-Kevin

Elmo T
01-06-13, 08:22 PM
He could well be the next Carson Palmer...worthless after a major knee injury. If he has any knee ligaments still attached. :saywhat: Not to mention that field is atrocious. :irked:

-Kevin

I couldn't/wouldn't watch the replay, but the kids said "Ooohhh" loudly. :(

dando
01-06-13, 08:29 PM
I couldn't/wouldn't watch the replay, but the kids said "Ooohhh" loudly. :(

It wasn't as bad as Taylor/Theismann, but it reminded me of Tim Krumrie of the Bengals in the '89 Super Bowl with his foot flopping in a 360 after he broke his ankle. :eek: :saywhat: :yuck:

And yer a first responder that can't watch that? :p

-Kevin

dando
01-06-13, 08:31 PM
From Twitter:

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
RGIII was 6-9 for 68 yards and 2 TD in 1st quarter, 4-11 for 16 yards the rest of the game.

Nice job, Shanny. :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

TKGAngel
01-06-13, 08:40 PM
In addition to his knee bending 6 ways to Sunday, RG3 also bounced his hand off of someone's helmet in the first half.

Further, Marrone, their 2nd choice, now gone too.

Not quite yet. He hasn't signed his deal with the Bills.

WickerBill
01-06-13, 08:59 PM
Shanahan is going to have a lot to answer to if Griffin has a torn anything in his knee.

dando
01-06-13, 09:15 PM
Shanahan is going to have a lot to answer to if Griffin has a torn anything in his knee.

If RG3 doesn't have anything torn, they need to clone him. Knees just don't do that. :saywhat:

Another one from Twitter:

Rob Guerrera ‏@StatsNBCSports
I fully expect to see the "RG3 played with torn _____ or strained ______" article after the 'Skins are eliminated from the playoffs.

-Kevin

Tifosi24
01-06-13, 09:16 PM
After watching the second half, I have no idea why you would send RG3 out there on one leg. It's not like Cousins is Joe Webb. My wife, who hates football, commented on how bad the turf looked. If Washington and Chicago don't at least try to make their turf playable, I wouldn't be shocked if the NFL mandates field turf. I think they have middle schoolers running their grounds crew.

dando
01-06-13, 09:28 PM
After watching the second half, I have no idea why you would send RG3 out there on one leg. It's not like Cousins is Joe Webb. My wife, who hates football, commented on how bad the turf looked. If Washington and Chicago don't at least try to make their turf playable, I wouldn't be shocked if the NFL mandates field turf. I think they have middle schoolers running their grounds crew.

You've obviously never seen a Steelers game @ Heinz Field. Infamously known as the worst field in the NFL. That field goes from bad to worse to worser during the season. :saywhat: The only reason the Bungles put Field Turf in PBS is because Mike Brown got a sweetheart deal from Hamilton County, which had to pay for the replacement. :irked: I'm surprised the players haven't pushed for field upgrades across the league. Cleveland isn't much better.

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-07-13, 07:12 AM
I like seeing the uniforms get dirty, which makes FieldTurf a big drawback... but Soldier Field and Heinz Field are just awful. FedEx looked great compared to Soldier Field even a month ago.

Then you have Houston's Reliant Stadium, which has natural grass on 8' x 8' tiles, giving a natural grass field the title of "most seams in the NFL". It is notoriously an injury waiting to happen. Get this: what sits under the tiled natural grass? A 1.1 million dollar FieldTurf installation that is used for every other event in the stadium.

dando
01-07-13, 10:51 AM
I like seeing the uniforms get dirty, which makes FieldTurf a big drawback... but Soldier Field and Heinz Field are just awful. FedEx looked great compared to Soldier Field even a month ago.

Then you have Houston's Reliant Stadium, which has natural grass on 8' x 8' tiles, giving a natural grass field the title of "most seams in the NFL". It is notoriously an injury waiting to happen. Get this: what sits under the tiled natural grass? A 1.1 million dollar FieldTurf installation that is used for every other event in the stadium.

Forgot about Soldier Field. That field was hideous as well. Not sure how much the hot, dry summer affected it.

-Kevin

Napoleon
01-07-13, 12:04 PM
You've obviously never seen a Steelers game @ Heinz Field. Infamously known as the worst field in the NFL.

Really? That place is like 6-10 years old. It ought to have a state of the art drainage system and base and if it get beat up during the season there is no reason why the turf should not be replaced in the spring.

Don Quixote
01-07-13, 12:07 PM
Really? That place is like 6-10 years old. It ought to have a state of the art drainage system and base and if it get beat up during the season there is no reason why the turf should not be replaced in the spring.Yeah, but we are talking Pittsburgh here......

dando
01-07-13, 12:21 PM
Really? That place is like 6-10 years old. It ought to have a state of the art drainage system and base and if it get beat up during the season there is no reason why the turf should not be replaced in the spring.

The same problems affected The Shoe and PBS in Cincy. All had the state-of-art field systems installed when they were built. Natural turf just didn't take. IIRC, they even replaced the grass in PBS with new grass, but it was still bad. When they renovated The Shoe, they dug down 20' or so to install walls for the nearby 'river' (Olentangy), and then the turf system. During one of the last games with real turf, it was coming up in chunks, which helped make the decision to switch. PBS was opened in 2000 and they replaced the turf with Field Turf ~2004, IIRC.

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-07-13, 12:54 PM

-Kevin

RG3 has already torn his ACL before, so this is how he is after that. :)

Insomniac
01-07-13, 12:55 PM
It wasn't as bad as Taylor/Theismann, but it reminded me of Tim Krumrie of the Bengals in the '89 Super Bowl with his foot flopping in a 360 after he broke his ankle. :eek: :saywhat: :yuck:

And yer a first responder that can't watch that? :p

-Kevin

Yeah, it wasn't gruesome, but it looked bad bending that way because you know the knee doesn't bend that way.

Insomniac
01-07-13, 01:01 PM
Gillette Stadium was also notoriously bad. They finally gave up when it was hurting their offense. I don't think there is any question it's a benefit to have a terrible field when you have a good defense.

I don't know about other stadiums, but the primary problem at Gillette was as the days got shorter the grass was simply not getting enough sun. However, it never turned into painted dirt. Just a muddy/boggy mess.

And Wes Welker is the biggest example I can think of on the dangers of Reliant Field. He tried to cut and tore his ACL.

Edit--NE made the switch in-season.

SteveH
01-07-13, 04:25 PM
Yeah, it wasn't gruesome, but it looked bad bending that way because you know the knee doesn't bend that way.

http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/robert-griffin1.jpg

dando
01-07-13, 04:45 PM
Ruh Roh.

Lori Schmidt ‏@LoriSchmidt
RT @RapSheet The #Seahawks have now lodged a complaint to @NFL about the #FedEx field that injured @RGIII and Chris Clemons' ACL

-Kevin

dando
01-07-13, 05:33 PM
Ouch.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--robert-griffin-iii-s-lies--mike-shanahan-s-poor-management-doom-redskins-in-playoffs-040938793.html

Spot on. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Racing Truth
01-07-13, 08:10 PM
Two college guys. Can't say I understand that at all.

Oh, it gets better, WB.

From what we can tell, here are/were the Browns' top 4 choices, in order:

1. Saban
2. Kelly
3. Bill O'Brien
4. Doug Marrone

ALL College coaches. Now, while Saban has already said no at least once, I think Haslam makes one more run at him after tonight. Still a likely "No."

Oh, it should be noted that all four have ties to Mike Lombardi, unofficial adviser to the Browns.

WickerBill
01-07-13, 08:43 PM
The Browns have 50 mil (ish) in cap room and a solid foundation. Why not bring in someone who knows about NFL game preparation? Zimmer, McCoy, Gruden, etc?

PatS got a bit of a raw deal, yes?

Racing Truth
01-07-13, 08:51 PM
The Browns have 50 mil (ish) in cap room and a solid foundation. Why not bring in someone who knows about NFL game preparation? Zimmer, McCoy, Gruden, etc?

PatS got a bit of a raw deal, yes?

On Shurmur, NO, he did not. Unless you think 5-yd. crossing routes, 2-yd patterns on 3rd and 6, awful, bizarre clock management, abandoning the run EVERY GAME, etc. is the height of innovation.

Add Arians to your list, too.

stroker
01-07-13, 09:50 PM
Thanks, I was scrupulously trying to avoid seeing that image.

KaBoom21
01-07-13, 10:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hisPV.jpg

dando
01-11-13, 03:27 PM
Damn. First the barrel guy from Denver passes away (although I'm certain he had relations with Don Q) :gomer: and now the Hogettes retire. The world is ending, I tell ya. :saywhat: :gomer:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8835791/washington-redskins-fans-hogettes-retiring-30-years

-Kevin

Gnam
01-11-13, 05:32 PM
Saturday
Ravens - Broncos
Packers - 49ers

Sunday
Seahawks - Falcons
Texans - Patriots

1. Broncos
2. Packers :(
3. Falcons
4. Patriots

Don Quixote
01-12-13, 07:19 PM
Champ Bailey is getting abused today. Didn't see that coming.

Don Quixote
01-12-13, 07:46 PM
Ravens special teams are getting abused today. Didn't see that coming.

dando
01-12-13, 09:02 PM
Orange crushed? :rofl:

-Kevin

dando
01-12-13, 09:48 PM
Crushed. :p

-Kevin

WickerBill
01-12-13, 10:11 PM
Funny to see you taking such joy in a Ravens win.

Evaluation: exactly like watching the 2000s era Colts after a bye. Secondary sucked, offense scored 21 in five quarters, sloppy, turnovers, penalties. Yay.

cameraman
01-12-13, 10:34 PM
Check out his poolhost pick.

dando
01-12-13, 10:54 PM

Evaluation: exactly like watching the 2000s era Colts after a bye. Secondary sucked, offense scored 21 in five quarters, sloppy, turnovers, penalties. Yay.

No joy either way. Couldn't resist giving you a poke, tho. ;) Great game. :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
01-12-13, 10:55 PM
Check out his poolhost pick.

Yup. I picked Manning > Flacco.

-Kevin

chop456
01-12-13, 11:29 PM
Whole bunch of questionable calls in that game.

extramundane
01-12-13, 11:51 PM
Regardless, I'd say today rather makes up for last week's awfulness.

Just no Harbowl. Please. :gomer:

cameraman
01-12-13, 11:55 PM
Any of you ever seen a good explanation of the video processing they use to get the first down lines on the broadcast?

extramundane
01-13-13, 12:23 AM
Any of you ever seen a good explanation of the video processing they use to get the first down lines on the broadcast?

http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/27009/explaining-magic-yellow-first-down-line

nrc
01-13-13, 12:33 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_%26_Ten_%28graphics_system%29

I had seen the details of this before. In general I think viewers put too much stock in the position of the video line.

nrc
01-13-13, 12:36 AM

You saw the end of the game? Because I would have smashed my TV when that punt returner ran backwards ten yards.

cameraman
01-13-13, 01:10 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_%26_Ten_%28graphics_system%29

I had seen the details of this before. In general I think viewers put too much stock in the position of the video line.

I just had a sudden sickening thought that NBC will be doing the F1 races. I hope to God that the races are not defiled with idiotic arrows and name tags:eek:

WickerBill
01-13-13, 04:43 PM
Here come the Seahawks. Amazing how good they become when they aren't playing in the morning PST. This should have been the late game.

Dvdb
01-13-13, 05:15 PM
Aaaannddd, there go the Seahawks. Just couldn't see two NFC west teams squaring off next week.

extramundane
01-13-13, 05:17 PM
Holy crap. Sad to see local boy Wilson done, not so sad to see Pete Carroll out.

Don Quixote
01-13-13, 05:22 PM
Nice squib kick there. WTH? Not a great effort by either head coach.

chop456
01-13-13, 05:58 PM
What a letdown. I was hoping the Falcons could choke AND Pete Carroll would lose.

It just wasn't meant to be.

Insomniac
01-14-13, 11:11 AM
Here come the Seahawks. Amazing how good they become when they aren't playing in the morning PST. This should have been the late game.

SF had to have the late game. TV contracts prevented FOX from getting both late games. I wonder if they shift the start times if both SEA and SF had to host them...

WickerBill
01-14-13, 02:19 PM
SF had to have the late game.

That's the part I don't get. Why? The "early" Saturday game started at 4:30p EST.

Gnam
01-14-13, 03:17 PM
Kaepernick-mania! :eek:

I have no idea how long this can last, but after 8 years in the wilderness, back-to-back NFC Championship games is good enough for me.

SteveH
01-14-13, 03:21 PM
Kaepernick-mania! :eek:

I have no idea how long this can last, but after 8 years in the wilderness, back-to-back NFC Championship games is good enough for me.

And you're back up QB ain't bad, either.

Insomniac
01-14-13, 05:53 PM
That's the part I don't get. Why? The "early" Saturday game started at 4:30p EST.

FOX and CBS alternate their game positions every year. This year FOX had Saturday late and Sunday early for divisional weekend.

AFC had to play the early Saturday game because that was CBS' slot (along with late Sunday).

dando
01-14-13, 06:26 PM
FOX and CBS alternate their game positions every year. This year FOX had Saturday late and Sunday early for divisional weekend.

AFC had to play the early Saturday game because that was CBS' slot (along with late Sunday).

More importantly was the early slot owned by the tOSU beat down of TSUN @ 1:30 Sun. Ok, it was a beat down early and a hang on late. :saywhat: But any defeat of TSUN @ #2, presumed to be the heir to #1 Duke is a beat down. :D :thumbup:

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-16-13, 02:10 PM
Chip Kelly changes his mind, new Eagles HC. Joe Banner lost to Jeff Lurie it seems.

Don Quixote
01-16-13, 02:49 PM
Chip Kelly changes his mind, new Eagles HC. Joe Banner lost to Jeff Lurie it seems.This makes me wonder if Oregon is about to get hammered by the NCAA. Or maybe Phil Knight's check bounced.

Andrew Longman
01-16-13, 03:49 PM
Lurie has been in open love with Kelly since mid season, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon isn't clean. They just seem to have a certain stink about them.

I also don't think Kelly will succeed at the pro game. Defenses are so much faster it is hard to get the edge and find the match ups.

dando
01-16-13, 07:06 PM
:rofl:

Pardon me, but....:laugh:

:sides splitting: :rofl:

-Kevin

Gnam
01-16-13, 08:22 PM
http://s8.postimage.org/ni3d6l7sl/thumb_aspx_i_product_Images_802000_ff_802547_xl.jp g

I can't wait to see the Philly QB stand up and look back at the sideline to get the play. :laugh:

Andrew Longman
01-17-13, 10:12 AM

Pardon me, but....:laugh:

:sides splitting: :rofl:

-Kevin
At Kelly presser he talked about how excited he was to learn that Iggles had tracked his flight eastward as if he were Santa Claus on Christmas Eve... Then he remembered that Philly fans once booed and bombed St Nick with snowballs. :laugh:

Insomniac
01-17-13, 10:25 AM
Lurie has been in open love with Kelly since mid season, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon isn't clean. They just seem to have a certain stink about them.

I also don't think Kelly will succeed at the pro game. Defenses are so much faster it is hard to get the edge and find the match ups.

I'm taking a wait and see approach. He is smart, but may not be stubborn. He could adapt.

dando
01-17-13, 11:00 AM
At Kelly presser he talked about how excited he was to learn that Iggles had tracked his flight eastward as if he were Santa Claus on Christmas Eve... Then he remembered that Philly fans once booed and bombed St Nick with snowballs. :laugh:

And cheered when Michael Irvin was injured. Not to mention Philly fan that fell through the glass with Tie Domi in the sin bin.

TS_92eKcGMI

I think Elmo regrets doing that. ;)

I think the moral of the story here is, be careful what you ask for, you might just get it. :saywhat:

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
01-17-13, 12:02 PM
And cheered when Michael Irvin was injured.I cheered when he got hurt. That was wrong? :gomer:

dando
01-17-13, 01:48 PM
I cheered when he got hurt. That was wrong? :gomer:

Dude, that is so wrong. It's only proper to cheer when a former Wolverine is injured. :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

Gnam
01-19-13, 01:32 AM
49ers WR Michael Crabtree interviewed by SF Police about allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman after last week's victory over Green Bay.

http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/Crabtree-in-sex-assault-investigation-4207109.php

****!

WickerBill
01-21-13, 12:36 PM
I just want to point out that the difference in the Ravens is Jim Caldwell.

Difference Ravens Jim Caldwell

The difference is JIM CALDWELL.

Good grief, just how bad is Cam Cameron??

Gnam
01-21-13, 04:48 PM
49ers coach Jim Harbaugh's reaction to refs giving Atlanta a reception that was obviously incomplete. :D

http://proxy.storify.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcoedbc.files.wordpress.com%2F201 3%2F01%2Fjim-harbaugh-flipping-out.gif&resize=1&w=490

http://s9.postimage.org/tdhqczoof/harbowl.jpg

http://s2.postimage.org/r0uqyfo4p/url_http_pbs_twimg_com_media_BBFEj94_CAAM6_Erv.jpg

Andrew Longman
01-21-13, 06:41 PM
Ummm... The Mannings have three rings.

IIRC the Harbaughs have a Big 10 championship and Rose Bowl appearance and way too many years as an Eagles assistant. OK that's not horrible (except for the Eagles bit) but it is not three rings.

But I like both Harbaughs and both teams. I am just going to sit back and enjoy.

dando
01-22-13, 10:09 AM
49ers coach Jim Harbaugh's reaction to refs giving Atlanta a reception that was obviously incomplete. :D

Mark my words, one day his head will explode. :saywhat: And no it wasn't 'obviously incomplete', it was borderline, but once the call is made on the field, the replay views need to be incontrovertible. Reasonable doubt does not apply.

I always think about the Rams/Bucs NFC Championship game back '00 and wonder about had the Bert Emmanuel 'catch' in 2000 been ruled correctly. That play and the 'Tuck Rule' call are the two worst calls I can recall in recent history.

5lNI-Uq_fww

-Kevin

chop456
01-22-13, 10:11 AM
It was incontrovertable that it wasn't a catch. Terrible call.

Napoleon
01-22-13, 10:39 AM
Go 49ers! Beat the Baltimore Modells.

dando
01-23-13, 10:16 AM
More stupid football player tricks.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8870962/jay-ratliff-dallas-cowboys-arrested-charged-dwi

Srsly?!? You just lost a teammate when another teammate rolled his car while intoxicated. What kind of life lesson do you need? :saywhat:

-Kevin

KaBoom21
01-23-13, 03:39 PM
http://proxy.storify.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcoedbc.files.wordpress.com%2F201 3%2F01%2Fjim-harbaugh-flipping-out.gif&resize=1&w=490

Harbaugh even manages to sneak in a crotch-grab. :rofl:

Elmo T
01-23-13, 04:26 PM
Not to mention Philly fan that fell through the glass with Tie Domi in the sin bin.

I think Elmo regrets doing that. ;)

-Kevin

I couldn't be prouder of the Philly fans - I have low expectations and they are seldom exceeded. :laugh:

And I always get a kick out of this - knowing the "Eagles Court" - I don't doubt that could be a true story... :laugh:

jc2kMVV3D9c

dando
01-23-13, 04:55 PM
I couldn't be prouder of the Philly fans - I have low expectations and they are seldom exceeded. :laugh:

And I always get a kick out of this - knowing the "Eagles Court" - I don't doubt that could be a true story... :laugh:

Dude, they should just move the courthouse to Broad St. :gomer:

-Kevin

Gnam
01-23-13, 05:28 PM
Harbaugh even manages to sneak in a crotch-grab. :rofl:
Incidental contact. :D

For comparison, here is a picture of Bill Walsh in an uncontrollable rage. :p

http://s1.postimage.org/5opd9dhhr/top_10_nfl_coaches_walsh.jpg

Andrew Longman
01-23-13, 05:31 PM
Well, he has a point. Troy Aikman IS a ******

Don Quixote
01-23-13, 05:50 PM

I can't stop watching this.

dando
01-23-13, 07:08 PM
I can't stop watching this.

I know what I'd like to do to his nuts (reference 1986 The Game).
:mad: ;)

-Kevin

Gnam
01-24-13, 04:27 PM
Reporters got a surprise this morning on a conference call with Jack and Jackie Harbaugh, parents of Jim and John, when “John from Baltimore” asked them if it was true they “like Jim better than John.” The question was followed by an awkward silence until sister Joanie, who was also on the call, recognized her brother’s voice and ratted him out.

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Harbaugh-Family-Conference-Call/0e470885-4eb4-4ac2-86f3-f8804ce09ec5

Skip ahead to the 21:00 minute mark.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/01/24/john-harbaugh-pranks-parents-reporters-on-conference-call/
:D

Insomniac
01-25-13, 02:31 PM
the 'Tuck Rule' call are the two worst calls I can recall in recent history.

You must mean the rule. It was an incomplete pass by rule.

dando
01-25-13, 04:08 PM
You must mean the rule. It was an incomplete pass by rule.

Which was modified/clarified the following season. It was an obscure rule like the 1-pt safety in the Fiesta Bowl.

-Kevin

Insomniac
01-26-13, 02:06 PM
Which was modified/clarified the following season. It was an obscure rule like the 1-pt safety in the Fiesta Bowl.

-Kevin

It wasn't modified or clarified. It was also called in that same season for another Patriots game (I think the Jets got the call). It wasn't obscure, it just wasn't seen in a high profile game. It was enforced many times this year and in one weekend we saw 3 or 4 happen.